Guest guest36187

Thanks for clarifying Phoebe. That's what we suspected. It's going to be a tight squeeze I think. We are staying overnight at the Dubai Airport Hotel and won't have access to our luggage so we also need to carry everything for our overnight stay. Plus blow up footrests and blow up padded seat hubby insists he needs on the plane! Plus my jewellry (such as it is) and important docs we don't want to risk in the cases.

8 weeks sounds fantastic. Have a super time. The weather there must be lovely now. We will be visiting my brother over there in October.

Blow up padded seat? I couldn't find anything that was remotely suitable, but I could do with one! Any recommendations gratefully received.

Blow up padded seat? I couldn't find anything that was remotely suitable, but I could do with one! Any recommendations gratefully received.

Hi Steve

I think this is where we got ours from:

http://physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Back_and_Seat_Support_Cushion_Range_from_Physio_Supplies_UK.html

but if you do a search for 'Inflatable cushion' or 'inflatable cocccyx cushion' there is loads of choice. I believe they also have them on Amazon.

Hi Steve

I think this is where we got ours from:

http://physiosupplies.com/acatalog/Back_and_Seat_Support_Cushion_Range_from_Physio_Supplies_UK.html

but if you do a search for 'Inflatable cushion' or 'inflatable cocccyx cushion' there is loads of choice. I believe they also have them on Amazon.

Ah neat, thank you! For some reason some airline seats seem very uncomfortable.

I'll certainly look into that for the return journey.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Phoebe

We have this morning after much ado received a request for the 2nd VAC for the 173. The letter states that we need to make our first entry into Australia by 24th March 2012. This means we have to validate our visa, i e set foot on Australian soil by this date. This is one year from the date of our police checks.

Are you getting confused with validating and moving permanently to Australia? You usually get a year from the date of your medicals or police checks whichever is earlier to validate your visa, which means you have to travel to Australia and set foot on Australian soil. With the 143 you can come and go for five years before you need to move to Australia permanently and need to spend 2 of those in Australia to avoid problems with a RRV after the 5 years. With the 173 your visa is only valid for 2 years, so you need to apply for the 143 before the 2 years is up. You can spend this time either in the UK(you still need to validate though) or Australia and can be either offshore or onshore when you apply and when the visa is granted. Hope this helps.

That helps a great deal :notworthy:

Phoebe

Hi everyone

As you can see from my above post we have finally received the 2nd VAC this morning. Steve, can you update the tracker please (DaveandLinda)?

Just our luck of course that the exchange rate has plunged so we have decided to pay the 2nd VAC to London. Does anyone know how long this process takes? We are conscious of Bank Holidays etc and so hope to get everything off in the post today. Thank god for this website so I was able to investigate the process.

Our 2nd June deadline is getting nearer!

Final VAC - can anyone give me a link to the pros and cons of paying in London v credit cards v paying from Australia please?

If paying in London " the rate is fixed twice each year on Jan 1 and Jul 1" - what is that currently?

Looks like we'll miss that deadline so who knows what it will be after 1st July!

Final VAC - can anyone give me a link to the pros and cons of paying in London v credit cards v paying from Australia please?

If paying in London " the rate is fixed twice each year on Jan 1 and Jul 1" - what is that currently?

Looks like we'll miss that deadline so who knows what it will be after 1st July!

You may not miss the 1st July ?? we do not know what the rate will be untill the aussie immi people set it.

cheers

Mike.

In 3 years of watching the 'official' 6 month fix they have always set it at rate up to 5 cents less than the floating rate just prior to the first of Jan or July.

The Jan 2011 fix was the smallest drop from the floating rate but they still keep the trend downward, and what government wouldn't?

In the UK the chance of our bank rate going up keeps moving further away so there appears to be no early change of direction for sterling against the Aus $, if anyone can't afford it now I would not bank on an early improvement. :no:

Guest sirmatt101

Hi folks, just a quick update on the jobs front for those that like me need to work to survive here! Since struggling at first to get work, since having a job I have had several other offers and am starting another one on Monday! I am also keeping the present one on a casual basis and will work that on my days off from the other one. So perserverance prevails seemingly!!

Cheers

Matt

Hi folks, just a quick update on the jobs front for those that like me need to work to survive here! Since struggling at first to get work, since having a job I have had several other offers and am starting another one on Monday! I am also keeping the present one on a casual basis and will work that on my days off from the other one. So perserverance prevails seemingly!!

Cheers

Matt

Best of luck Matt, sounds like you are creating a one man job shortage in Ipswich. :biglaugh:

Cheers

Matt

Thank you Matt. You're a fine example of what it takes to make it in Oz, even at our ages.

Cheers

Steve

Guest guest43653
Hi Phoebe

We have this morning after much ado received a request for the 2nd VAC for the 173. The letter states that we need to make our first entry into Australia by 24th March 2012. This means we have to validate our visa, i e set foot on Australian soil by this date. This is one year from the date of our police checks.

Are you getting confused with validating and moving permanently to Australia? You usually get a year from the date of your medicals or police checks whichever is earlier to validate your visa, which means you have to travel to Australia and set foot on Australian soil. With the 143 you can come and go for five years before you need to move to Australia permanently and need to spend 2 of those in Australia to avoid problems with a RRV after the 5 years. With the 173 your visa is only valid for 2 years, so you need to apply for the 143 before the 2 years is up. You can spend this time either in the UK(you still need to validate though) or Australia and can be either offshore or onshore when you apply and when the visa is granted. Hope this helps.

Just wondered if you could clear up something that came to mind.

If going on a 173 do you have to have been accepted for the 143 before the 2 years is up. If you applied for the 143 like at 22 months how long will it take for them to accept or deny your visa or would you have to fly back to England and lose the chance?

We have applied for the 173.

Sue

Cheers

Matt

Did you really envisage when you started to look at Australia that you would have to work two jobs to be able to live there.

Cheers Mike.

Guest sirmatt101
Did you really envisage when you started to look at Australia that you would have to work two jobs to be able to live there.

Cheers Mike.

Hi, I always intended to work here, maybe more as something to keep me occupied rather than to survive, but at the end of the day you have to do whatever it takes when circumstances change! I don't really need to work 2 jobs, but as the opportunity has arisen due to shift patterns I intend to make hay while the sun shines as the saying goes!

We don't have a dull minute here with visiting family & friends, just had 5 days camping over Easter and not a drop of rain! The move out here was the best decision ever, so don't worry if it all seems a bit daunting, it all works out in the end!

Cheers

Matt

Just wondered if you could clear up something that came to mind.

If going on a 173 do you have to have been accepted for the 143 before the 2 years is up. If you applied for the 143 like at 22 months how long will it take for them to accept or deny your visa or would you have to fly back to England and lose the chance?

We have applied for the 173.

Sue

Hi Sue

No, as long as you apply for the 143 before the 2 years are up. Here's the relevant bit from the DIAC website:

If you are granted this visa and want to live in Australia permanently, you must apply for a permanent visa before this temporary visa expires.

Guest Restellou 44

Thanks Jean for your most valuable help.. you sorted me out a treat when I was confused and fumbling around not knowing where to start.. Anyway perhaps you can help me again.. I am not sure which visa to apply for.. Should I go for Con. Parent or Con. Parent Temporary.. What would be the advantages of going for the TEMP ?.

2) is any of the 2nd vac refunded after a period of time ?

All my finances will depend on the sale of my house here in FRance , and just like the UK things are not moving very quickly here either. C,est La Vie..

Heres hoping that you can once again point me in the right direction. Many thanks once again. Helen

It's amazing how your life can change in a couple of weeks. We have gained a new granddaughter, almost got a visa (sent bank draft off to Australia House yesterday), lost my job yesterday (actually taken voluntary redundancy and they have now given me gardening leave) and today we accepted an offer on our house.

What a whirlwind of events. Feel like I need to just step off for a while till everything calms down! Looks like we may now make our 2nd June flight. Now need to spring into action and get the shippers in for a quote and see if they can ship our stuff at beginning of June.

Opening a bottle of bubbly tonght. We can always open another when the visa finally comes through.:goofy:

Guest guest43653
It's amazing how your life can change in a couple of weeks. We have gained a new granddaughter, almost got a visa (sent bank draft off to Australia House yesterday), lost my job yesterday (actually taken voluntary redundancy and they have now given me gardening leave) and today we accepted an offer on our house.

What a whirlwind of events. Feel like I need to just step off for a while till everything calms down! Looks like we may now make our 2nd June flight. Now need to spring into action and get the shippers in for a quote and see if they can ship our stuff at beginning of June.

Opening a bottle of bubbly tonght. We can always open another when the visa finally comes through.:goofy:

Life is like buses nothing for ages then they all come at once.

Congratulaions on everything and thanks for your help on my journey.

Sue

Congatulations Linday - not long now.

Hopefully we'll be ready to go in a few months time too -:wink: well, by Christmas anyway. :twitcy:Got Medicals next Friday, valuations on house next week and estimates for shipping the week after. Never a dull moment on this rollercoater ride!:confused:

Hi, I always intended to work here, maybe more as something to keep me occupied rather than to survive, but at the end of the day you have to do whatever it takes when circumstances change! I don't really need to work 2 jobs, but as the opportunity has arisen due to shift patterns I intend to make hay while the sun shines as the saying goes!

We don't have a dull minute here with visiting family & friends, just had 5 days camping over Easter and not a drop of rain! The move out here was the best decision ever, so don't worry if it all seems a bit daunting, it all works out in the end!

Cheers

Matt

Hi thanks for the reply no it does not seem daunting at all just a lot of waiting.

Cheers.

Guest sirmatt101

Life is like a roller coaster, all ups and downs and looks like you guys are definitely on an up. Enjoy it all.

Cheers

Matt

Congatulations Linday - not long now.

Hopefully we'll be ready to go in a few months time too -:wink: well, by Christmas anyway. :twitcy:Got Medicals next Friday, valuations on house next week and estimates for shipping the week after. Never a dull moment on this rollercoater ride!:confused:

Thank you. Good luck with the medicals. You will find that you think you have a long time to wait but the time seems to fly by. The to do list seems to be getting longer by the minute now!

Guest Restellou 44

Very Very Well done Linday, you are almost there. Hope all goes well according to your plans in OZ. You seem very excited. GReat.

Thanks Jean for your most valuable help.. you sorted me out a treat when I was confused and fumbling around not knowing where to start.. Anyway perhaps you can help me again.. I am not sure which visa to apply for.. Should I go for Con. Parent or Con. Parent Temporary.. What would be the advantages of going for the TEMP ?.

2) is any of the 2nd vac refunded after a period of time ?

All my finances will depend on the sale of my house here in FRance , and just like the UK things are not moving very quickly here either. C,est La Vie..

Heres hoping that you can once again point me in the right direction. Many thanks once again. Helen

Hi Helen

Not sure whether Jean is around, but we are also going the 173 (temporary) route. The advantages are that you can pay for the visa in stages and you have 2 years to apply to convert to the permanent visa. This means you get to spend the 2 years in Australia if you wish without having to fork out the whole amount.

There are not really any disadvantages, other than the fact that your sponsor's circumstances may change in that time and also that your own health may deteriorate.

I don't think that any of the second VAC is refundable. The only part which is refundable is the $10,000 Assurance of Support which is refundable after 10 years, but you do get interest on it in the meantime.

If you have any more queries please ask away. There are lots of people on here who can help - though probably not many around today - must all be watching the wedding!

Guest Restellou 44

Hi Linday for a speedy reply to my query. Here is another.. at what stage does the Ass. Bond have to be paid.. Is it when my Visa comes through or before ? Many thanks in advance. Helen