Guest guest36187

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to share some personal good news with you all.

My daughter Emma gave birth to a beautiful baby boy Harry Christopher Robert 8lb 3oz in Australia at 2pm our time (11pm in Oz) had a bit of a scare , emergency section as he was breech and got stuck but they are both well.

Cant wait to see them in 2 weeks time :jiggy:

Phoebe

Many congratulations Phoebe, wonderful news. So glad it all worked out OK you must be relieved and so.....excited.

G

hi Phoebe

congrats on Harry's birth! - I believe that heather and emma had a chat last monday - you will be so excited to get there now!

we are flying in on the 22nd april. toronto - vancouver - sydney - brisbane.......a long long flight - we are with air canada this time................

hope to meet you at play group

congrats again!

audie

Thankyou and yes Emma said they had met at pre-schooland had a chat :biggrin: we leave here on 17th April stopover in Singapore for 2 nights then arrive in Brisbane 20th, you never know we might meet somewhere :cute:

Phoebe

Hi Les

Don’t use the Shippers Insurance, have a look at this:-

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/favicon.ico

We used these and they are a lot cheaper.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

many thanks for the link although I've read the later post with the correct address. I'm just completing insurance forms etc as I'm being shipped at the end of this month, it's really expensive with the shippers insurance. I'll give this company a call tomorrow. Only 8.5 weeks before I leave for OZ, 13.5 days at work left to do - scared & excited & BUSY, still completing forms - will it ever stop?

Katie

Hi Charlie,

many thanks for the link although I've read the later post with the correct address. I'm just completing insurance forms etc as I'm being shipped at the end of this month, it's really expensive with the shippers insurance. I'll give this company a call tomorrow. Only 8.5 weeks before I leave for OZ, 13.5 days at work left to do - scared & excited & BUSY, still completing forms - will it ever stop?

Katie

There's another cheaper insurance route-insuremymove.com

Not sure how it compares with lettonpercival but it's much cheaper than the shippers.

Those 8.5 weeks will go so quickly-I have about 5 months to go and am already feeling slightly overwhelmed about how much there is to do: any tips gratefully received!

There's another cheaper insurance route-insuremymove.com

Not sure how it compares with lettonpercival but it's much cheaper than the shippers.

Those 8.5 weeks will go so quickly-I have about 5 months to go and am already feeling slightly overwhelmed about how much there is to do: any tips gratefully received!

Hi Fiz

Do you have the full www address as when I posted as per above it says domain name for sale. Any help would be appreciated.

regards

pete

Hi Poms in the UK, :idea: .............

All companies send more leaflets and info on the insurance than on the move so you can see where they make their money. :biggrin:

We expect to use 'Insure your move' unless the above companies lower their insurance cost. They show £425 for £25000 including sets and mildew cover that all the above say is an extra.

............. :wubclub:

Hands up who is skim reading my posts. :policeman:

Hands up who is skim reading my posts. :policeman:

OK you can all put your hands down now. :laugh:

Just had the quote back from LettonPercival and have quoted £424 to cover £25,000 which is £1 less than InsureyourMove.

The cover all the extras in their base quote (unlike the removal companies) and both of these insurance companies seem to have good feedback on the web or even the search of PomsinOz.

To cost a different amount they both quote 1.6% of the insured value plus 6% tax to be added, roughly £17 per £1000 should give you a good idea of a different cost, it would appear to be half the removal companies insurance quotes for better cover. :yes:

Just had the quote back from LettonPercival and have quoted £424 to cover £25,000 which is £1 less than InsureyourMove.

Hi Les, Thanks for all this info, we got Pickfords in last week, have Doree Bonner and PSS coming in the next 10 days. From my research on the interweb, you can find equally good or bad comments about all the companies - I sometimes think its just a matter of luck. But the insurance is a real killer from the removers, and we have now started looking at these alternatives - your posts on this subject have come at such a good time for us so many, many thanks.

From the removal companies you got quotes from, did you get a "gut feeling" about any of them that was not based on price alone, ie: did you feel that what you were being told will be what you will actually get? Have you come away from the experience feeling more confident about one particular firm? Would be interested to know if you have.

Continued good luck to you...G

Well I got a reply to my query regarding people getting different answers

Dear Sir/Madam

The information you were provided in the email below is correct.

Please do not reply to the sender of this email as you will receive no

response. All email enquiries must be directed to: parents@immi.gov.au

You may also make enquiries via telephone by calling 1300 652 421 (if you

are calling from Australia) or by calling 61 1300 652 421 (if you are

calling from overseas).

Parent visa applications or any related document must be posted to:

Parent Visa Centre

Locked Bag 7

Northbridge WA 6865

AUSTRALIA

Yours sincerely

Administration Team

Parent Visa Centre

Department of Immigration And Citizenship

:daydreaming:

Phoebe

From the removal companies you got quotes from, did you get a "gut feeling" about any of them that was not based on price alone, ie: did you feel that what you were being told will be what you will actually get? Have you come away from the experience feeling more confident about one particular firm? Would be interested to know if you have.

If prices were the same Crown and John Mason would just get the nod, none of the companies were poor at what they told us.

Pickfords gave a bit to much bull and we do not like the idea of a shared container. Pickfords warned us about taking our fridge and freezer because of possible CFCs and the cost of having the coolant changed, then when he had gone we read their paperwork that said an 'individual' was exempt from the rule (ours are new enough not to be a problem anyway).

PSS did a bit of knocking the competition which lost him marks from Wanda (her pet hate).

PSS and John Mason are £1000 under Crown and so for us are front runners. John Masons storage charge in Oz is double PSS if we require an extra month.

Crown had the hardest job as they came first and we were able to ask more questions to those that came later but they misjudged me by saying they will give the dearest quote because they are the best, but are they truly worth 25% more?

On the Insureyourmove site they say Crown and John Mason have the least number of claims.

:wubclub:

If prices were the same Crown and John Mason would just get the nod, none of the companies were poor at what they told us.

Pickfords gave a bit to much bull and we do not like the idea of a shared container. Pickfords warned us about taking our fridge and freezer because of possible CFCs and the cost of having the coolant changed, then when he had gone we read their paperwork that said an 'individual' was exempt from the rule (ours are new enough not to be a problem anyway).

PSS did a bit of knocking the competition which lost him marks from Wanda (her pet hate).

PSS and John Mason are £1000 under Crown and so for us are front runners. John Masons storage charge in Oz is double PSS if we require an extra month.

Crown had the hardest job as they came first and we were able to ask more questions to those that came later but they misjudged me by saying they will give the dearest quote because they are the best, but are they truly worth 25% more?

On the Insureyourmove site they say Crown and John Mason have the least number of claims.

That's thought provoking! We've only had Pickfords so far and were reasonably impressed by them, so will be interesting to see how the others are - might get John Mason to come and quote as well now. Interesting!

Gill

Hi Les, Thanks for all this info, we got Pickfords in last week, have Doree Bonner and PSS coming in the next 10 days. From my research on the interweb, you can find equally good or bad comments about all the companies - I sometimes think its just a matter of luck. But the insurance is a real killer from the removers, and we have now started looking at these alternatives - your posts on this subject have come at such a good time for us so many, many thanks.

Of your 3, I only had a quote from PSS. I also had quotes from John Mason and Dolphin. I much preferred the guy from John mason who gave me lots of helpful tips and seemed very genuine. I am going with them. PSS were OK though their quote was quite a bit more than either what JM quoted or what their estimator told me on the day. The 3rd company-just no!!

Hi Everyone

Came home today, logged into e mails and following the CO for jtct expecting CO about end of week as acknowledgement should read 10/5/2010. Ooooh Got an e mail from Immi :jiggy:………..asking for another £130 as claims underpaid first Vac:arghh:. On checking all Nos looks like he has taken the current charge and exchange rate:swoon:.

E mailed back and hoping for CO soon, what a let down:cry:.

Regards

Pete

Hi all,

Can any help with this insurance thing please. I have most of my stuff in storage which Letton Percival couldn't quote me for unfortunately, I've just left a message for Insureyourmove to call me tomorrow to see if they can assist. My removal company's insurance is 2.75% which will cost a fortune. Has/is anyone in the same position & managed to find a company which can provide cover at a reasonable cost

thanks

Katie

The prices have certainly jumped :swoon: my daughter used Crown 3.5 years ago (said they were very good) 20ft container then was £3500 :daydreaming:

Phoebe

Hi Everyone

Came home today, logged into e mails and following the CO for jtct expecting CO about end of week as acknowledgement should read 10/5/2010. Ooooh Got an e mail from Immi :jiggy:………..asking for another £130 as claims underpaid first Vac:arghh:. On checking all Nos looks like he has taken the current charge and exchange rate:swoon:.

E mailed back and hoping for CO soon, what a let down:cry:.

Regards

Pete

Thats just NOT ON :mad:

Phoebe

Well I got a reply to my query regarding people getting different answers

Dear Sir/Madam

The information you were provided in the email below is correct.

Please do not reply to the sender of this email as you will receive no

response. All email enquiries must be directed to: parents@immi.gov.au

You may also make enquiries via telephone by calling 1300 652 421 (if you

are calling from Australia) or by calling 61 1300 652 421 (if you are

calling from overseas).

Parent visa applications or any related document must be posted to:

Parent Visa Centre

Locked Bag 7

Northbridge WA 6865

AUSTRALIA

Yours sincerely

Administration Team

Parent Visa Centre

Department of Immigration And Citizenship

:daydreaming:

Phoebe

Sounds as if there's one policy if you're "trading" UP, and one if you're trading DOWN (ie 143>173).

Mike

Guest diner

Hi All!

I have mostly been a lurker on PIO as we were waiting for NSW SMP before we started making any decisions about moving to Aus. Now that we know we can move we are trying to convince my parents-in-law to join us. They are keen on the idea but have all but given up on it as a reality as they are very put off by the steep cost of a 143 visa. Ultimately they can afford the visa and would have some money left to buy a small apartment and car but then they would have no savings left after that. What I want to know is how are you getting by once you have paid all that money out? My FIL has been self-employed for years and so doesn't have a formal pension. Do you work when you get to Aus and how easy is it to find work when you are over 50 as I hear that can be quite difficult?

I hope I am not repeating a question as I only dipped into the thread rather than reading the whole thing!:embarrassed:

I look forward to your insight as moving the parents may be a make or break feature of our decision to move.

Thanks!