Guest guest36187

Hi Julie,

As Kim says nothing stopping you from buying a car if you have the funds, best thing we did. Have a look on carsales.com.au it will give you an idea of what's available and prices.

Joe

Hi Joe and everyone else waiting for their parent visas in Oz

when you travelled out on your e651 or 600 did you buy a return ticket to Oz?

not sure if you can get in on a one way....

Julie

Julie

Hi Julie

When we came out in August on a 651 we got a return. There didn't appear to be an awful lot of difference in the price to be honest and I believe you have to have either a return flight or an onward ticket.

Maisie

Guest geordie joe

Julie

Hi Julie,

We came on a return ticket a bit of luxury coming and standard return, which when we booked worked out £100 more than business class one way. I spoke with Emirates about a potential refund of the unused part and they said I couldn't get a refund but I could extend the return date or they could refund some of the airport tax which worked out at £80.

Joe

Hi all

Silly question perhaps?

We're trying to work out what the value of our belongings are for shipment, do the insurers Letton Percival require a full inventory with a cost for every single item,

? We find their paperwork pretty ambiguous

Any advice would be great as it's doing our heads in!!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve2

Guest geordie joe
Hi all

Silly question perhaps?

We're trying to work out what the value of our belongings are for shipment, do the insurers Letton Percival require a full inventory with a cost for every single item,

? We find their paperwork pretty ambiguous

Any advice would be great as it's doing our heads in!!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I know what you mean about the paperwork.

When we completed the form we just put a total value per room and they were happy with that, the only break down we included were for individual items valued over the £500 limit.

Joe

Hi Steve,

I know what you mean about the paperwork.

When we completed the form we just put a total value per room and they were happy with that, the only break down we included were for individual items valued over the £500 limit.

Joe

Cheers Joe

Hi All,

So we have had the "Little Elves" in wrapping and packing the last 2 days. It's a bit weird seeing all your worldly possessions like this. Doree Bonner have been so professional and although initially were our dearest quote they not only price matched but also reduced insurance rate to 1.5% and dropped their ridiculous add on administration charge.

Update ......our 2 dogs (Poppy and Aussie) have beaten us to Australia and are in Melbourne Quarantine already barking in an Aussie twang :rolleyes:

Monday brings the container.......Tuesday brings completion on house......Wednesday brings feet up and a brew.........Thursday brings the Emirates Chauffeur and the beginning of our new life ........

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33519[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33518[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33520[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33517[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33521[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33522[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33523[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]33524[/ATTACH]

After 2 and a half years in the planning it is actually about to happen. I know all those waiting their turn are frustrated but "The Wait" is truly worth it. Hang in there.

Cheers

Phil

Best of luck mate - see you there!!

Are Emirates charging for the chauffeur?

Julie

Hi Julie, we booked through an agent, and incidentally our ticket has a return element, which apparently was a requirement of booking a business class outward ticket, and it cost less than a single journey

Hopefully I'm not missing something essential as there are way too many gotchas on the UK side of the process (frozen pensions, driving licences that expire at 70 years of age, etc.) We plan to join our son in Victoria in 2018. There's no way that we can affort a CPV, so we have to go subclass 103. AFAICT, we could enter Aus on a temporary visa (even eVisitor) and lodge applications for subclass 103 once there. On receiving acknowledgement of our applications, we could then apply for bridging visa A, which I understand gives us the right to remain in Aus while our applications go through the queue. I understand that the queue for 103 is currently around 30 years -- which would put us in our mid-nineties -- but we could be with our son in Aus while we 'waited'. There'd be no drain on Aus resources as we'd need to make our own healthcare arrangements etc.

My question is whether our plan is feasible? TIA for any pearls of wisdom offered.

Hopefully I'm not missing something essential as there are way too many gotchas on the UK side of the process (frozen pensions, driving licences that expire at 70 years of age, etc.) We plan to join our son in Victoria in 2018. There's no way that we can affort a CPV, so we have to go subclass 103. AFAICT, we could enter Aus on a temporary visa (even eVisitor) and lodge applications for subclass 103 once there. On receiving acknowledgement of our applications, we could then apply for bridging visa A, which I understand gives us the right to remain in Aus while our applications go through the queue. I understand that the queue for 103 is currently around 30 years -- which would put us in our mid-nineties -- but we could be with our son in Aus while we 'waited'. There'd be no drain on Aus resources as we'd need to make our own healthcare arrangements etc.

My question is whether our plan is feasible? TIA for any pearls of wisdom offered.

Hi GeoffL

You are confusing two different visas, but essentially I think your plan is feasible.

The 103 visa is an offshore visa and you must be offshore when it's granted. Until Jan 16 we were on the 103 waiting list. You could check your progress up the list via the oz govt immi electronic queue calculator ( for a quick nosy, Google electronic queue 103 and the link should come up) you type in your queue date (the date given by immi NOT the date of application) and the type of visa and it tells you how many people are ahead of you. Although we were told about 10-20 years it would have been a lot less than that I think - probably about 8-10 years.

the he visa I think you are considering is the onshore aged parents visa, which I don't know too much about. I know you can get a bridging visa for that one and stay in Australia while you wait, but you have to apply from Australia having decided you'd like to stay once you got there ... In other words, no turning up at the airport for your 'holiday' with twenty suitcases and the family dog.

I believe the aged parent visas move much more quickly than the offshore 103 but I'm not sure about the timescale. I'm sure someone else will be along soon to tell you though!

Best of luck mate - see you there!!

Are Emirates charging for the chauffeur?

Hi Steve,

Just a little :biglaugh:

We've done what I think GeordieJoe and Steely have done. Booked a business leg out with a return in 6 months (that you don't take but then don't get your air miles for either leg) Way cheaper than a one-way ticket, through business-flights.co.uk. It's an indulgent treat that we feel we have earned.

Today they are loading our container, woke up this morning to our last sunrise at our home for 25 years, Sadness at leaving our home but over the moon to be eventually beginning our journey to the next chapter of our lives.

Bring it on.

:ssign19:

See you in PERTH

Cheers

Phil

Hi Steve,

We've done what I think GeordieJoe and Steely have done. Booked a business leg out with a return in 6 months (that you don't take but then don't get your air miles for either leg) Way cheaper than a one-way ticket, through business-flights.co.uk. It's an indulgent treat that we feel we have earned.

Today they are loading our container, woke up this morning to our last sunrise at our home for 25 years, Sadness at leaving our home but over the moon to be eventually beginning our journey to the next chapter of our lives.

Bring it on.

See you in PERTH

Cheers

Phil

Yep, this is how our booking was put together. Business class flights out, with 2 economy seats returning on 16th August. I really hope we never need to use the returns!

Hi Steve,

Bring it on.

See you in PERTH

Cheers

Phil

Good of luck with it all!

Good of luck with it all!

Hi Fisher1

Thanks :wink: hopefully no luck needed. As we all know.....lots of planning and stressing and more planning will make it a breeze. After all, "I survived the Visa process" (I reckon we could sell T-Shirts) :ssign7:

Cheers

Phil