Guest guest36187

Hi,

We are getting so many different answers from shipping companies it's making my head spin. Oh well just another thing to worry about !!!

Lisa

When you book your shipping company they need a copy of your visa and passport for customs declaration so the answe is you can ship until you have the visa Plus if you are thinking of taking a car you need a vehicle import permit as well

Hmm

Hi,

We are getting so many different answers from shipping companies it's making my head spin. Oh well just another thing to worry about !!!

Lisa

Hi

For what's it's worth, my understanding is that if you ship your belongings before your permanent residency is granted you are liable to pay import duty on them; if you wait to ship once you become a PR you don't pay duty.

Don't know whether it's more cost effective to pay for storage in the UK or pay the duty.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi Lisa Lou we were told by shipping company that we couldn't ship until visa granted but our furniture etc could go in a container and be stored (at a cost), it all has to be packed by them and we would sign each packing list, they know how to word it for customs. Any vacuum cleaners or garden furniture has to be spotlessly cleaned, we will probably leave behind these items.

Good luck, hope this helps.

anything to do with the garden gets the full inspection so need to be spotless ie steam cleaned if possible Vacumn cleaners can normally be washed out ( the bagless type that is ) another thing that gets looked at is Christmas decorations if they have any sort of timber etc We had a wand taken off Santa and some decorative pine cones taken as well

anything to do with the garden gets the full inspection so need to be spotless ie steam cleaned if possible Vacumn cleaners can normally be washed out ( the bagless type that is ) another thing that gets looked at is Christmas decorations if they have any sort of timber etc We had a wand taken off Santa and some decorative pine cones taken as well

Hi all

I never thought about the need to clean some of your belongings. How do you steam clean a spade? I know I'm being a wuss, but I've got a spade that belonged to my dad and his dad before him. Its really ancient but its a sentimental thing (who needs diamond rings) and I always thought I'd take it with me ...

Hi all

I never thought about the need to clean some of your belongings. How do you steam clean a spade? I know I'm being a wuss, but I've got a spade that belonged to my dad and his dad before him. Its really ancient but its a sentimental thing (who needs diamond rings) and I always thought I'd take it with me ...

You could try Jeyes fluid and a scrubbing brush.

Hi, we are doing the same, going a few months early in October. Any thoughts on getting medical insurance/travel insurance with the e600 visa? We will probably get our police check over and done with in June. We lodged in Jan 2015 so hopefully it will still be valid!!! Great to read all the helpful comments. So grateful. Kathy

Hi Gogirl

i have applied for the e600 and have just quoted a travel insurance health cover, I'll let you know how that goes.

I believe I should hear within 20 days.

You can do the police checks from Australia if you are living with someone you know, you just need a signed letter from who you are living with and 2 utility bills in their name at that address, it costs to send to Australia, but heyho! everything does, at least you know it will be in date.

Bev50Bradley are you shipping your belongings over when you go in November.

I've been getting contradictive advise on if we can do this or not but hoping this is possible as we are selling up early and taking a gamble on getting granted our 143 visa.

Lisa

No, cannot ship unless you have a visa reference.

i have decided to travel light, have sold my house, now selling as much as I can! Quite a lot of 'stuff' is my daughters that I was holding for her, so I am shipping these out to her on her visa.

I will keep mine stored at relatives then arrange one of the move cubes when my visa comes through. Not too much though I have to say, I have agonised over this for ages.........but came to the decision, new life, new gear!! how much is it really worth?!

And where are you going to put it until you have settled somewhere?

I was told by my agent that if I decide to go on a 600 visa, I can still ship my belongings (although, like Bev50bradley, I am selling most of my stuff anyway and only need a movecube) and can also import my dog. So we have some contradictory advice here - I wonder which is right.

We have had so much of the same contradictory advise and still unsure . If we are unable to ship early then we shall sell everythig and buy new when we move into our rental. We are also importing our dog when we go on the e600.

Lisa

Hi all

I know this hasbeendiscussed on here before, but I can't find the relevant posts so apologies for rehashing old topics. my question is ... How do I actually get the money for my 143 visa from my bank account in Sydney to immi? My daughter has lodged the AOS bond so that bits easy we just transfer the money to her, but I'm sure I read that transferring the money to immi wasn't straightforward (is any of this?) and I don't want to make any mistakes. all advice welcome.

Hi all

I know this hasbeendiscussed on here before, but I can't find the relevant posts so apologies for rehashing old topics. my question is ... How do I actually get the money for my 143 visa from my bank account in Sydney to immi? My daughter has lodged the AOS bond so that bits easy we just transfer the money to her, but I'm sure I read that transferring the money to immi wasn't straightforward (is any of this?) and I don't want to make any mistakes. all advice welcome.

Hi

As far as I know immi only accept payment by credit card or bankers cheque.

When/if our time comes we have set our son up on our NAB account so that he can organise the bankers cheque on our behalf, much cheaper than credit card!

Good luck

Steve

Good morning/evening all,

Here's something new to fret about :-) GBP has plummeted these past few days and we have been in a dilemma - what happens if it's just as bad or (please no) worse when the time comes to transfer our funds! I don't mean the 2nd VAC, but house sale etc. Thousands of dollars can be "lost" - I told my son in Sydney of my worries ("only positives, no negatives" is always his advice) and he said why not open a GBP account in Australia, then when the time comes we can transfer GBP funds from UK to a GBP account in Australia and wait for a better rate (if absolutely necessary) to then transfer to our AUD account - good plan I think. He spoke to the bank there today, and has sent me a contact name and so I will be making enquiries. We have an AUD HSBC account in Sydney already (fee free I might add) and so hopefully it can be easily done. I thought this "might" be handy to pass on, it all depends on circumstances of course!! I don't like to think I'm losing anything so will always try to find a way to keep more of that hard earned cash.

Cheers,

Amanda

Hi

As far as I know immi only accept payment by credit card or bankers cheque.

When/if our time comes we have set our son up on our NAB account so that he can organise the bankers cheque on our behalf, much cheaper than credit card!

Good luck

Steve

Thanks Steve, I knew there was something ... I always thought I was a well organised, together sort of person until I discovered immi ... I really didn't think it would happen this fast, and am a bit taken aback that they have asked my daughter to provide the bond money BEFORE deciding whether they are going to give us the visa or not! At least they pay interest on it! It's too late for us to set up our daughter on our account with westpac but luckily we were in London recently and nipped in to their London branch to ask advice. Although they didn't know about the bank draft thing, I did get a telephone number out of them for the actual branch in London, so I think I'll call them today and see if I can set up a bank draft from this end. Or transfer the whole amount to my daughter and get her to set up the bank draft. IF they give us the visa that is.

Does anyone know how long after you send them all their bits of paper they ask for the money?

thanks everyone on here for keeping me sane, I don't know how I would have managed without this site. ?

Edited by Fisher1

Here's something new to fret about :-) GBP has plummeted these past few days and we have been in a dilemma - what happens if it's just as bad or (please no) worse when the time comes to transfer our funds! I don't mean the 2nd VAC, but house sale etc. Thousands of dollars can be "lost" - I told my son in Sydney of my worries ("only positives, no negatives" is always his advice) and he said why not open a GBP account in Australia, then when the time comes we can transfer GBP funds from UK to a GBP account in Australia and wait for a better rate (if absolutely necessary) to then transfer to our AUD account - good plan I think. He spoke to the bank there today, and has sent me a contact name and so I will be making enquiries. We have an AUD HSBC account in Sydney already (fee free I might add) and so hopefully it can be easily done. I thought this "might" be handy to pass on, it all depends on circumstances of course!! I don't like to think I'm losing anything so will always try to find a way to keep more of that hard earned cash.

Cheers,

Amanda

amanda that's a fantastic idea, I hadn't thought of. It doesn't apply to us at the moment but is certainly something to keep in the memory banks for the future. The exchange rate has been a real blow hasn't it. We had most of the money for our visa in oz dollars but just the last bit, sent yesterday, has cost us an extra few hundred pounds! ... Coulda woulda shoulda ....

Cheers,

Amanda

Hi Amanda

we have exactly the same worries, I so wish we had pegged an exchange rate last year. the other problem of course is how you spread the money around once you have received it. House sale money is secure in your UK bank account for 6 months if you are over the 75k per person allowance. Oz has a similar allowance rate. Do we risk putting it all in the same - once upon a time banks could be trusted not to go bust!!!!

Julie

Hi all

As long as it's spotless it will be ok soak the blade in hot water and a good scrub with wire wool if you don't have access to a pressure cleaner We steam cleaned out car before it left a few years ago ,still got steam cleaned twice by customs Our lawn mower was immaculate not a speck of dirt but when we went to pick the car up the lawn mower was in bits ! It had been steam cleaned by customs and it was electric it was ruined This time the lawn mower stays

amanda that's a fantastic idea, I hadn't thought of. It doesn't apply to us at the moment but is certainly something to keep in the memory banks for the future. The exchange rate has been a real blow hasn't it. We had most of the money for our visa in oz dollars but just the last bit, sent yesterday, has cost us an extra few hundred pounds! ... Coulda woulda shoulda ....

Hi Fisher1, yes, it's amazing how much difference even a few cents drop in the rate makes - but it's more than a few now! Am kicking myself for not transferring funds for the 2nd VAC when it was 2.18 :-( I guess that's life - in the meantime, I'm living in fear of the June referendum now!

Hi Amanda

we have exactly the same worries, I so wish we had pegged an exchange rate last year. the other problem of course is how you spread the money around once you have received it. House sale money is secure in your UK bank account for 6 months if you are over the 75k per person allowance. Oz has a similar allowance rate. Do we risk putting it all in the same - once upon a time banks could be trusted not to go bust!!!!

Julie

Hi Julie, it's such a shame it's changed for the worse like this - we can live in hope of it improving I guess! Life's a gamble (and especially for us brave souls selling up before visas are granted haha)

Amanda

Nn

Cheers,

Amanda

Hi Amanda

Yes it's been a worry how the pound has dropped because of the pending Euro vote.

I'd be interested to hear the results of your enquiries but not sure the pound would fare much better against the dollar over there?

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve2

Nn

Hi Amanda

Yes it's been a worry how the pound has dropped because of the pending Euro vote.

I'd be interested to hear the results of your enquiries but not sure the pound would fare much better against the dollar over there?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

I will let you know how I get on with the enquiry. It's rather to sit with GBP in the account and wait until a better rate is available than to transfer immediately (and we would use a forex company to transfer at better rates than direct bank transfer which is always quite low compared).

All the best

Amanda

Thanks Steve, I knew there was something ... I always thought I was a well organised, together sort of person until I discovered immi ... I really didn't think it would happen this fast, and am a bit taken aback that they have asked my daughter to provide the bond money BEFORE deciding whether they are going to give us the visa or not! At least they pay interest on it! It's too late for us to set up our daughter on our account with westpac but luckily we were in London recently and nipped in to their London branch to ask advice. Although they didn't know about the bank draft thing, I did get a telephone number out of them for the actual branch in London, so I think I'll call them today and see if I can set up a bank draft from this end. Or transfer the whole amount to my daughter and get her to set up the bank draft. IF they give us the visa that is.

Does anyone know how long after you send them all their bits of paper they ask for the money?

thanks everyone on here for keeping me sane, I don't know how I would have managed without this site. 

Hi,I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't ask for aos until you have been cleared by police checks and medical?

Hi Amanda, we also have an HSBC AUD account. We asked about a opening a GBP account for Australia with them but it was such a kerfuffle to do it here that we took all the necessary documents to HSBC in Canberra last October. Took about an hour to open it. Very helpful there. Just be sure you take all the necessary ID. HSBC here will be able to give you a list of what you want. With regard to the furniture going out, we are sending it to our daughter as some of it is hers, so hopefully there won't be a problem. It will be in her name. Kathy

Hi Steve,

I will let you know how I get on with the enquiry. It's rather to sit with GBP in the account and wait until a better rate is available than to transfer immediately (and we would use a forex company to transfer at better rates than direct bank transfer which is always quite low compared).

All the best

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Yes its a great Idea.

We have opened a Commbank Foreign Currency account as well as our Aussie account and the IMPORTANT thing as you said is to make sure your use a currency broker to convert it at the right time into AUD. At the current rate of 1.94 at the time of posting Commbank are only giving 1.8635 as opposed to TorFX at 1.925

It all adds up !! We "forward bought" a chunk of our money in Nov at a rate of 2.145 (for a 5% down payment). We did this in order to split our Risk. Wish we'd now have bought more :mad:.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Brexit !!!!!!!!!

Phil

Hi,I'm sure I read somewhere that they don't ask for aos until you have been cleared by police checks and medical?

Hi Ruby,

Yes I thought the same thing. Since they haven't told us whether or not we have passed the medicals and I haven't sent them either the police checks or form 80 I didn't expect to have to pay the 14.000 dollars now. Of course in theory it is our daughter paying it. Even so I thought it was a bit of a cheek making her deposit that money now. I transferred the rest of our money to Australia at about five o'clock yesterday morning - having sat looking at the exchange rate like a rabbit in the headlights - and could have sent it directly to my daughter's bank account if I'd known. Sigh. My daughter also told me that its only now that they will send out the Assurance of Support letter, which I'm supposed to send a immi a scanned copy of by March 3rd.

I'm beginning to think I'd really really like to tell them all to go to hell.

Kath