Watch out Melbourne we have landed....

shaunkaren

Not much to report yet but am currently sitting in the hotel near Melbourne airport wide awake and the reality of what we have to do in the next few weeks is sinking in fast.

Having left behind the snow and ice then arriving to 23 degrees late at night, we could be in for a shock when we wake up tommorrow. Looking forward to settling into our caravan for a few days whilst recovering from the jetlag - then the hunt for a house begins in earnest. That will closely be followed by the hunt for a good school.

I think I am still in shock as to how far we have come along the migration road, and how much further we have to go. It is really weird to think we have no close friends or family for miles and miles... I have a feeling that will sink in as the weeks go by, but hopefully we can link up with some new friends soon to share a beer with.

It looks like we will be setting up in the Mount Waverley area so if anyone is around there and has good advice re schools/best and worst places to be with a young family???

Right need some sleep now so that the adventures can begin tommorrow!!!

Karen x

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest juliemtaylor

Karen, so glad you made it all ok..

God, time flies!! we are going in just 6 weeks time now! Just said goodbye to the in-laws after a trecherous journey there and back in the snow.. Yes going to be a shock from all this cold to that heat!!

Keep in touch. Who did you fly with?

Julie x

Guest Les & Woz

Hi Karen

How exciting! We leave UK on 30 Jan. Hoping to live on Mornington Peninsula but who knows where we will end up. Keep us posted on how you get on and best of luck! PS Still cold and snowing here so enjoy the heat xx

goodness karen, where does time go, i cant believe you are there already, lucky lucky things you lol

hope you had a good journey, are you staying at Werribee caravan park? let us know what its like we have just booked to stop there in may

have fun and enjoy the next few weeks

claire x

Well we have had about 4 hours sleep and Shaun has gone to get the hire car - then off to Werribee we go. We won't have much internet access for the next two weeks, but will update when I can. We don't know which side of Melbourne we will end up, but it looks like there will be friendly faces by the end of the month. Felt pretty nerve racking yesterday with it just being the four of us, but not so bad today - the rollercoaster ride will continue....

Karen x

Welcome! You have arrived during a 3 day heatwave, 41C on Monday, so yes you will get a shock. Mount Waverley is a pleasant eastern suburb, a little busy, not an English village by any means. The schools there are quite good, there is a big Chinese community there, as with next door Glen Waverley. Werribee is miles away on the other side of town, and so is the Mornington Peninsula, but easy to get to on the Eastlink (buy a pass: Breeze - Home). All the best with it, hope you get over your jet lag. It is a long long journey !

Welcome to Melbourne !!

Caravan did you say? hope its got aircon, as olly said above youve landed at a hot time. your gonna need some cool air around you, even if its for 5 mins just to feel normal.......or do as we do....live in a mall !! hehehehe then fool yourself into thinking the mobile aircon unit and the fans at home are doing an excellent job at keeping you cool.........:biglaugh:......

Tom tom is a lifesaver in the car.........ive been here since september and im still disorientated and i drive everyday.

hope you get settled soon

Kelly (Ratchet )xx

Karen

Glad to hear that you've started your new life in Melbourne. Hope you catch up on your sleep soon. We are planning to arrive in Melbourne in April hopefully my husband will be able to secure a job in Mount Waverly with the Melbourne branch of the company he currently works with.

Enjoy the next few weeks.

P.S. more snow is expected in the next few days.

Sue

Guest Prickles83

Hey Karen,

We're travelling the east coast at the moment but loved Werribee thought it was lovely- we too don't have much internet access but will speak soon x

Guest The Pom Queen

Karen

Great news, I am so glad that you arrived safely!!

When you are settled give me a shout and we can catch up.

Hugs

Kate

Well we managed to overstress the aircon and sweltered last night! Then all of a sudden it cooled down and we needed blankets - still trying to work that one out! Today was spent racing around the streets of Mount Waverley looking for rentals. Sally liked the look of the one with the pool, and given the heat we may just try and go for it!

We have decided that if we can survive the heat over the next few weeks then we can survive anything Melbourne has to throw at us (she says hoping noone will correct her!!)

Onwards with our adventure and will let you know regarding the house!!

Karen x

Karen, mount Waverley is a very nice suburb we live in rowville 20 mins away from where your staying.

are you thinking of state schools or private over here there are lots of private schools, but i can say this if your kids are academic then they can get a great education at a state school.

it all depends on what your kids are good at, you shall need to visit schools they all do tours & ask loads of questions when visiting all schools what subjects can they provide for your children, some have sports & music as there main draw for family's some are academic.

people seem to think unless you put the kids in private school they shall be thick & that's not the case at all, also in state you shall save thousands of dollars.

i can say this with honesty seeming i work in a state school thats very academic & the school that im at seems to do lots better every year than private schools, so be very careful when looking for schools & when people say Oh get them in private go with your own gut feelings.

Arthur in Rowville Victoria

Glad you survived the first night of the hot weather, now all you have to do is stay long enough to exoerience a Melbourne winter, by the time it starts to get cooler/cold mornings in late March/April you will soon want the heating on, such is acclimatising!! My friend's child went to Essex Heights Primary School in Essex Rd, Mt. Waverley, but the one I would definitely recommend is Syndal Primary School, go along Blackburn Road and go right at Syndal railway station. It has a great reputation, my cousin's kids go there. Oh and the other one is Mount View which is quite good I hear. Depends on their numbers for enrolments, Essex Heighs is a big school I think

Guest ashmalog

Hoping things are going to plan. We have been in berwick for 2 mths nowadays nd things settled down after 3-4 wks. The rental was the hardest thing. Looks like a lot of uk are finally getting here now. Julie comes in a fe

wks too. We have had some pommie get togethers which is nice and it is hard nt knowing anyone.

Karen, so glad you made it all ok..

God, time flies!! we are going in just 6 weeks time now! Just said goodbye to the in-laws after a trecherous journey there and back in the snow.. Yes going to be a shock from all this cold to that heat!!

Keep in touch. Who did you fly with?

Julie x

Hi Julie

We flew with Qantas as they gave us double baggage allowance, 160kgs in all and we weighed in at 159.6kgs!! Shaun and I have both agreed that we needed to bring the duvets - have been out to buy them since we arrived the caravan is chilly!!!

Karen x

p.s Chilly as in 15 degrees, not minus 5!!!

Hoping things are going to plan. We have been in berwick for 2 mths nowadays nd things settled down after 3-4 wks. The rental was the hardest thing. Looks like a lot of uk are finally getting here now. Julie comes in a fe

wks too. We have had some pommie get togethers which is nice and it is hard nt knowing anyone.

Looks like we may be round the corner, so you won't be alone!! Are your kids into sport? Our son is driving us nuts as he has far too much energy to be sitting in a car giving houses marks out of 10!!!

PM me if you want to get in touch.

Karen x

Guest juliemtaylor
Hi Julie

We flew with Qantas as they gave us double baggage allowance, 160kgs in all and we weighed in at 159.6kgs!! Shaun and I have both agreed that we needed to bring the duvets - have been out to buy them since we arrived the caravan is chilly!!!

Karen x

p.s Chilly as in 15 degrees, not minus 5!!!

Karen, you have me worried about the baggage now..

Nearly time for our shippers to come.

Do you have jobs sorted yet??

Julie x

Guest ashmalog
Looks like we may be round the corner, so you won't be alone!! Are your kids into sport? Our son is driving us nuts as he has far too much energy to be sitting in a car giving houses marks out of 10!!!

PM me if you want to get in touch.

Karen x

that would be great, sent you a pm. my sons are sports mad! my 3 had had enough of house hunting after 7 houses!! we got to the stage where they just stayed in the car for the 10mins and if we liked it we would grab them out.

Karen, you have me worried about the baggage now..

Nearly time for our shippers to come.

Do you have jobs sorted yet??

Julie x

Hi Julie

Shaun starts work on January 27th near Mount Waverley. Our searches for affordable rentals have taken us out towards Berwick/Cranbourne area. We have put in for a rental on a new estate called Berwick Chase (I think??) and are now trying to organise schools and clubs etc. Have linked up with a fellow PIO (yet to meet in person though) who lives around the corner with children, so fingers crossed we will get the house (we were the only applicants) and we can move in at the weekend and then begin our new adventure for real.

With regards to baggage allowance we got some of those hand held weighing scales and were chucking out all sorts just before we flew. But I wish I had bought my fluffy slippers and comfy dressing gown (showing my age now!), and also the duvets (have loads in the container but they can't keep me warm right now!)

Karen x

Guest ashmalog

welcome shaun and karen and kids. great to meet you finally. so glad the kids got on. BBQ was great and welcome anytime. PIO is one big family. looking forward to the next Barbie, ur house next time?????

bonnie xx

ps will wait till your furniture arrives!!!

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi Bonnie

We will have a barbie as soon as we have enough chairs to sit on and a barbie to cook on!!! The kids may have to go to the park, our back yard isn't set up for footie. Had a great time and can't wait for the girls night out!

Karen x

So Bonnie was it Karen who ate my chips, PMSL:chatterbox::shocked:

Archived