Who's going to Melbourne

Guest Abi&Dan

Guest tracy hunt

We're heading for Mornington area aswell.

Can't wait to get there!

I've gone off all my friends, the children now hate school, my husband doesn't want to go to work....................WE DON'T WANT TO BE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose it's just a case of our minds being in Australia while our bodies are unfortunately still here in England...........hopefully they will be reunited again in the not so distant future!

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest dwa33

We're heading for Werribee too. The house prices are fantastic, lots of shops in walking distance, train station to city, easy commute. Just trying to find a good school. Any suggestions?

Guest Lou76

Us too...Myself, t'husband and Bump are coming to Melbourne, aiming for Aug / Sept 2008 if all goes to plan...Can't wait, it looks like such an amazing city. We're hoping to settle quite close to the city - been looking on the internet at suburbs like Fairfield, Kew etc and also the bayside suburbs like Brighton and a bit further round.

Guest windsor

Oh my goodness I never realised that so many people were heading to Melbourne because always seemed that Perth and Bris were on the top of most people's list.

Myself 29,hubby Dean 37 and Josh 16 months are off to visit Melbourne this Novemember to check out work (me finance and hubby insurance), living, cost and really if we fall in love with Melbourne. We have been to most places in Oz but can you believe it not Melbourne. I am sure we will love it and will then fingers crossed sell our house and get there for about April 08..

Like the look of Greensborough, Geelong, Point Cook and Sanctuary Lakes. Such a big place and where do you start?? Think we will be doing lot's of driving..

Shani

Emma's started a thread about people going to Brissy - and I got jealous!!

Therefore decided to start one for Melbourne (or anywhere in Vic s'long as you're willing to come into Melbourne for meet ups :biggrin: )

To start it off

Dan and Abi - ETA January 2009 (I'd come sooner if it wasn't for this damn fixed rate mortgage and needing every penny!!)

Next! ...

hi also hope to go to melbourne have friends there in carlton

me36 huby 37 my son 13 my hubby abricky just sent off tra :notworthy:

Guest Al&Jo

We are going to Melbourne or Albury Wodonga (hubby is military) so if it is Melbourne he will work in St Kilda (apparently) which leads nicely onto where to live? Does anyone know what the areas are like round there?

I am glad to see there are others heading for Melborne as I was getting a bit worried!

Jo

We are going to Melbourne too,

not sure when exactly (gotta get the visa first :wideeyed: )

hoping for sometime before christmas or just after

not sure where exactly, my sis lives in Strathmore (sort of up and to the left of CBD)

BUT we are going :yes: :yes:

Guest Ange

Hi Guys

Does anyone know anything about Bendigo? Just been having a look at some houses in the area and they look really cheap! Just wandering if they are cheap because of the area, is it rough? :skeptical:

Summary answer for a few posts:

Bendigo, fine, very "Australian", not rough, larger regional city but with classic Victorian architecture from Gold Rush, only 2 hours (max?) by train from City, healthy economy, see http://www.greaterbendigo.communityguide.com.au/

Albury/Wodonga vs St. Kilda, if Albury/Wodonga, live Albury! If working St. Kilda (I used to live there) many nice suburbs e.g. bayside south of St. Kilda i.e. Elwood, Brighton, Beaumaris etc and bnorth back to city e.g. Albert Park, Port Melbourne etc.......but some of the most expensive in Australia :( Melbourne real estate is generally better value in western suburbs, with some absolute diamonds hidden e.g. Williamstown, and by public transport to city (25 minutes), St. Kilda extra 15-20 minutes.

Werribee in western suburbs mentioned below, between Geelong and Melbourne, but like Williamstown direct train to city. Others nearby Altona and Newport, for example.

Eastern suburbs generally much further from city and more expensive, luckily for western suburbs many easterners turn their noises up :) but as a taxi driver told me many years ago, the most problems they have are within Dandenong, Frankston and Carnegie triangle :(

Guest Bexie

:spinny:Hi ! New to this forum - been a bit of a voyeur tonight - feeling like the new girl! Am two timing with British Expats! Great to hear that so many areheaded for Melbourne! We got visa 137 STNI on 3/4/07 and land in Melbourne on 2/08/07 with 3 ankle biters and OH! We are looking to settle in or near Mordialloc. Anyone got any views on this area?

Bex

Guest LynTrc

Hi,

We heading for Melbourne this August. At the moment we're looking at either Doncaster East or Berwick. Would love to hear if anyone can offer any advice on areas, my husband will be working in Dandenong so ideally not too far way but somewhere nice with good schools and we've promised the girls a house with a pool!!!!

Would love to hear from you

Thanks

Tracey

Guest Drea

Hiya, we are the Miles' Family...myself, Drea (ex-primary school teacher) and husband Stephen (IT service management), along with our two boys aged 5 and 3....and we're heading out on 27th June via a 'holiday' in Sydney. We fly into Melbourne on 8th July where we've got temporary accommodation in Bayswater for a month while husband looks for work and we all agree on a permanent house.

We are being very brave as haven't done a reccie (I visited Melbourne 19 years ago!!!) but are confident we've done the right thing. Life's one big adventure, eh?!!!

I hope I can call on all you fellow PIO Melbourner's when I need someone to talk to over the next few months as we settle into our new life Down Under.

Drea

Guest Abi&Dan
We fly into Melbourne on 8th July

I shouldn't come on this site - I just get more and more jealous of people on their way :err: (not really - it'll be our turn eventually!)

But you're going on my birthday so I think you should give me your ticket for a birthday present :notworthy: lol

Have fun!!

You sound like us.... we have a 5 and 3 year old boys (+ a 1 yr old), and we have never been either! Would be interested in how you get on with accom because we were planning something similar. How did you find temp accom?

We're not moving till november so feeling very jealous of you! Will be interested in how you get on so keep us all posted!

Good luck.

Guest Andrew&Karen

Hi,

We are also moving to Victoria. We are going on an STNI 137 visa as hubby is a teacher and they will sponsor us. As of yet we don't know where or when we will arrive as we have just sent off our visa application last week and we don't know how long that will take.:no:

We have been looking at the Geelong area but again it depends on the job situation,if a job comes up somewhere else then we will start from there instead.

I do know that we need a holiday as we have not had one for 10 years now so if anyone has any info on any luxury family holiday resorts in Victoria please let me know as I think we will have a well earned holiday to be starting off with.

:jiggy:

Karen, Andrew and Amelia

Guest newnico

Me too! Arriving on my own Melbourne Nov 29th, staying in Parkville for the first 2 or three weeks, looking for a place to rent around the northern inner suburbs. Would love to meet up.

Guest znaylor1974

Hi all,

We'll be coming over in October 2007, firstly to some serviced apartments for 3 months (dunno where they are yet), and then some place perhaps around Bayside.

Regards,

Zach, Martine, and Matthew (aged 5)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Clare1969

Can't wait we are arriving in Melbourne on the 12th October, I never knew so many people were going to Melbourne everyone talks about Sydney, Perth or Brisbane. We are looking at Diamond Creek in Nilliumbik near the Yarra Valley trying to find serviced apartments in this area but not having much luck. If anyone has any suggestions it would be good to hear them!!:jiggy:

Guest digger2475

hi all its karl,mel & kids 8 & 12 good look with melbn, have you been b4. thats wear im oping to go as a bricklayer, could do with some background info please.

once again good look karl & fam

Guest Clare1969

Hi Karl, Mel & Kids,

No we have never been before but it must be better than living in UK. To find places to live within Melbourne I downloaded a book called "Places to live in Melbourne" this gives you a complete run down of all the suburbs surrounding melbourne including schools and crime. We picked Nillumbik but you can never be 100% sure what these places are like until you arrive and see for yourself, im just keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards

Clare, Steve and Harry(10)

Guest paulspeg

Hi, i'm Paul, 29 and hopefully i'm going to be starting tafe (moorabbin) in melbourne in jan 08. I'm doing an air conditioning and refridgeration course which hopefully will lead to me being able to stay in oz for good. it pretty daunting :unsure: as i'm coming over on my own

i'm new to this site but it's packed with loads of info and everyone seems very friendly....hoping over the coming months to gain as much info and meet as many people as possible.

See you in Melbourne :)

Regards Paul

Guest jonseywife

Hi Em

Were heading for Mornington... so I will be just a little biased!!!!!

It has everything for us....... beaches, shops, spa's, schools, TAFE colleges, vinyards, cinemas (one open air) loads to do etc., etc., etc., We have 3 teenagers so needed to be near all the action, but it also has more relaxed parts near the beaches which are really lovely. :yes:

Try these links, they might help...

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/mornington/

http://www.visitmorningtonpeninsula.org/

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?o=def&t=res&a=s&u=MORNINGTON&s=vic

Good luck

Sally-ann

Archived