Our 3rd month in Melbourne

Ratchet

Thought it put up a post following our third month here. REALITY CHECK FOR THOSE COMING THIS WAY

We are still no further on and i know that we arent on our own in this.

Still on the 457 and getting screwed left right and centre, having to pay full fees for anything child related/health related.

Im working my arse off full time in a private hosp which is quite frankly no where near the quality of the employer i previously worked at, while OH (draftsman) continues everyday to look for work. Lookin at over 30 or so jobs that have been applied for, from the job he's qualified to do, to Mc donalds, bunnings and coles and still getting nowhere. Even when an agent calls, if the right answer isnt given straight away they dont bother making that call back that they said they would make.

So far we have invested/spent £15,000 in this country and have recieved fk all in return.

Ive never felt so unhappy with our circumstances and im fed up with putting up with it, having to rent a crummy house, having no social life, having no more time with my family, feeling tired,stressed and physically drained from my job and having a ****e car to drive and ultimately having a much poorer quality of life that ive ever had ................Im not even sure we can afford christmas this year......WTF ??? Im not sure i have the energy to celebrate christmas.

Ive done the 3 months everyone has told me to do, i want my pay back now. I hate the though of returning to the UK. I dont like the UK but it IS the better of two evils. Ive been resistant so far to OH's pleas of going back but im really happy now to look into it. We'll take our time and do a bit of touring before we go. but it is much more appealing. Ive even thought of moving elsewhere, but its no good if OH cant get a job.

So, for those of you who think its going to be all honky dorey out here, think again. It is essential you have a job to come to when you land, that accounts for all working parties, you'll have a better chance if youve got PR and you'll have a better chance if you havent got kids.

UK 1 OZ 0

:mad::cry:

Guest siamsusie
I should add. Ive even got the employer to go with the ENS to enhance OH 's job prospects to no avail, but its no use if OH cant get a job and im not in a position of paying the $2500 ish to pay for it

rubbish

Have sent you a pm:hug: Susie x

Hi Rachet

Sorry you are feeling a bit peed with the whole thing. I have been in a position here before with having to pay full fees and yep it ain't no fun. I also had a problem finding a job over the last few months - had so many emails saying thanks but no thanks so I know it can be disheartening. I got one at last and I am really happy there so things pulled through alright for me in the end.

Where about in Melbourne are you? PM me.

Chat soon

Smiler :biggrin:

Guest The Pom Queen

Oh Kelly

I am so sorry to hear things still aren't looking up for you. It does get easier, but it's like you say, how long do you have to go on feeling miserable.

Christmas is a hard time especially being away from family and friends.

Please give me a ring and maybe come round. There is a meet on Boxing Day at St Kilda it may be nice to go along to.

Big BIG Hugs

Kate:wubclub::hug:

It is good for people to realise that it is hard work and it doesn't always work out. I have to say I admire your courage, we are here on a PR visa and my husband has a better paid job than the UK but it is difficult both emotionally and financially , I am not sure I would have managed had we had the knock backs you have had so good on you for the strength and courage to work through it.

Australia is expensive and the biggest thing for me is the cost of medical care, fortunately we are covered by medicare but the prescription cost is high and although we are entitled to rebates on gp cost etc you have to have the money there in the first place.

I hope the new year brings better things for you.

Best of luck

Michelle

Sorry to hear that things are tough out there. Perhaps the New Year will bring some better times, it sounds like there is only one way for things to go now and that is UP. :hug:

Do you think you could ask your employer to lend you the money for the ENS visa, perhaps use a little emotional blackmail by telling them that your husband wants to go home with things being the way they are ... it would not take a long time for that visa to come through and I am sure it would improve husband's prospects. It would also give you something positive to focus on.

It is good (for want of a better word as really it is not good at all) that the rest of us and people planning to move to Australia get to hear this side of the story, especially the pitfalls of a temporary visa. I am almost at the conclusion that they are really not for people with children.

Guest Guest31881

Hi Ratchet,

I can understand you being fed up, I think I would be with the luck you have had so far.

has your OH thought of applying to employers in other states. Perhaps he would have more luck that way, and then you could get work in a hospital close to any work he could find. You may also find that some states are cheaper on school fees than others,

I wish you well, you sound like you want to make it work here, but your OH is ready to go back to UK and I can fully understand his feelings. Its no joke being unemployed in a new country. he would probably have different feelings if he could just secure that first job.

A good post for others to read, so that they can see the pitfalls of coming here, it has a lot of advantages. But you need your share of luck for it to work out.

Good luck and I hope everything starts to improve for you soon...:notworthy:

Guest ashmalog

So sorry to read your post and how hard it is for you. We have been here 6 wks now and are not finding any of the difficulties you are experiencing but I do feel for you. We rent a lovely 4 bd in berwick and both of us secured work within a few weeks of arriving. I too am a nurse and find the medicine and way of nursing frustrating but I suppose that is because they are so much more behind the uk. Our boys have settled into school well, I still get tears from my 3 yr old but it makes me smile when he tells me he has had a good day at nursery.

We are financially better off here than the uk and appear to have settled well.with Xmas round the corner and family he other side of the world the tears may flow soon.

I agree with you that it is hard moving to the othrside of the world but if you have each other and are strong then u can make lots of positive decisions.

Good luck with what you decide to do and may meet u at the meet on boxing day.

Bonnie x

Thanks for all your msg's guys. Im feeling the virtual love:wubclub:

Like many of other folk when i read posts like this back in the UK i was saying, why dont you go somewhere else, stick with it.... and they would reply - ive had enough. I totally see how it happens and where those feelings come from.

This is total helplessness. But this was our risk to take and we have to deal with the consequences. I just want to give a true life experience to others thinking of coming this way.

I bet wanted down under dont show you this side if things. And where do they find those jobs they send folk on????

Sat here now i think to myself, Why didnt i just put my things in storage, and when ready get them shipped over. Why didnt i rent my house and sell if we settled.

With optimism and excitement we got rid of loads of things, sold up and shipped all out here at huige expenses.................Look at us now.....I really dont want to think how much it costs to get stuff back to the UK:err:

Hey hun, sorry to hear that things still aren't going your way! I truely hope things pick up for you and without sounding niave and ridiculous it's only 2 weeks now until I join you so may be a familiar face will help - if only for an evening, to get it all off your chest!

Wishing you a merry 1st xmas in Oz and I have no doubt that in a year you will be looking back at this time and be laughing with me, with a glass of wine in the sun!

Sendind hugs and see you in the new year!!!!

x:hug:x

Wish I could make it all better for you. Its very hard not finding work. Can you transfer your visa to another hospital. I guess your husband has tried Skilled Engineering and other agencies that hire out staff often that is a good way to get a foothold. Even an ad in the local rag drawing up house plans for people.

Hope it works out as you are trying so hard.

Hi Kelly,

Keep smiling!!!!, thinking of you.

We are back and have to say it is lovely to be in the uk BUT we do miss Australia.

Lots of love

Jackie xxxxxxx

Oh Jackie! you went back!! I was thinking of you this week, wondering how you are...When did you go?? wow, are you ok? How did it feel to go back?:chatterbox:

Guest hazelandmathew

Hi Kelly,

I think I somewhat know what you are going through or at least my husband has. It took him over 5 months to get a job and we were both almost ready to throw the towel in. We didn't have a house to sell so probably dont understand how all of that affects what your going through now but it was very disheartening. My hubby applied to millions of jobs with absolutely nothing back, he had 2 interviews in 5 months so got to spend all of his time in this flat on his own when I was at work etc. Then our luck changed finally and he had an interview and the manager from the shop was a fellow pom and gave him a break.

I just wanted to say that hopefully your luck will change soon, and try enjoy the summer here. I also know a thing or two about freaking out and going home but that is another story....... ;-)

Hope the new year brings you better luck

Haze :wubclub:

I am so sorry to hear about your difficulties, but please don't throw in the towel yet and hang on there.

It took my husband 5 months to get a job, hundreds of applications, hardly any replies, 2 interviews and he got his current job after the 3rd interview in 5 months.

I know how disheartening all this is, I had to almost beg him to stay longer and give it a try, he just wanted to go back to the UK.

Stick it out, something will turn up. Good luck.

Kelly

I'll pm you as a very long story.......................

But we are now trying to refind our feet here, looking for a rental, schools and jobs but we are doing it in a country we know with friends and family to help which makes a massive difference.

I wish you all the best in what ever you choose to do, but stay in touch i'd love to know how you get on.

Lots of love

Jackie xxxx:cute:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kebab king

Nearly 4 years here in Melbourne.STILL riding the rollercoaster!! Ups & downs here seem twice as big.Had more major disasters here than 30yrs there. 13 + 16 yr old boys doing fantastic and LOVING it now.Patience & perserverance are a must.Arrived 12/6/2006, PR for OH,no jobs, 16 bags.

Oh has degree in economics + masters in software development,lectured in UK.Took 18mths + PGCE to get crap teaching job in crap school, teaching AUSTRALIAN HISTORY!!perm contract terminated after 1st year. Now works in private girls school + loves it.(She still misses family & would go home tomorrow!!??). Most jobs in Vic are by netwoking,get out there,tell the vics how great it is here,and keep plugging away!You will always be slightly mixed up as you've BEEN on BOTH sides of the fence.

Archived