6 Months in Clarkson

Guest SGKG102

Guest SGKG102

Hi all, "Warning Long Post"

Hope everyone is well. Just thought I would give an update on how things have been for us in the first 6 months of our new life here in Oz.

It all started on 15 May 2009 when we left our friends and families back in the UK. That was not easy especially as we were leaving two of our children behind. They had the opportunity to come with us but decided not to which is a shame but may be when they come to visit they will want to stay.

We landed on Australian soil in the early hours of the 17 May 2009 with nothing but a suitcase and travel bag each and $9,000 in our pocket. There are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Our holiday rental was fab, nice cool pool and fully equipped for just $500 per week. The guys who own the holiday home have been fantastic in helping us start our new lives. I managed to gain employment within the first two weeks of arriving at the Real Estate Agents where we were looking for a rental. Not only did we manage to secure a rental but also I managed to secure employment. We hired a car for the first 7 weeks while we were in the holiday accommodation which was really reasonable. Then for a few months we just walked andused public transport. I will not pretend that it was easy as we were living on one income for a while but we had a place to live, a great furniture package from Fantastic Furniture, had made some friends and of course have each other.

There have been times when I thought we had made a very big mistake, especially when Steve could not find work but then I thought about the reason for being here in the first place and things did not seem so bad. Kayleigh started school almost immediately and that again was not easy. During the first couple of weeks I had to drag her to school kicking and screaming. Then Liam, he could not find work. At 17 and having left school and done a year at college in the UK he was not prepared to go back to school for a year. He would just sit around all day and do nothing but watch TV and I became quite concerned for him as he did not really want to come with us and I felt guilty that I had forced him to leave his friends and life in the UK. Steve also was in a bit of a rut because he felt guilty that I was supporting the family. We could not complete our Family Allowance claim because Steve had not received his TFN despite the fact that he is the Australian citizen.

Eventually 12 weeks after applying his TFN number turned up but not before I had written a letter of complaint. We were then able to apply for the Family Allowance. We did this and received confirmation of our entitlement which was backdated. Then within 4 weeks both Steve and Liam had obtained employment. It was strange because just when I was fearing the worse the change happened.

I applied for finance to buy the car and got it. Liam went for his interview and got the job and then Steve all within the space of 7 days. Kayleigh has now settled at school and is doing really well. Liam has now changed jobs and we never see him as he is always out. Steve is doing OK but wishes he could get a better job but hey it's a job and it brings in the money. I have settled in to my job after a bit of a bumpy start and everything seems to be working out just fine altough a little tight but we are used to that any way.

We have just this weekend moved into another rental which is fab. As I sit here enjoying the sunshine and trying to get into the Christmas spirit I realise that everything happens for a reason and there is a reason for everything. It is difficult at the moment because it is so close to Christmas and it is not cold and wet and my boys are not here nagging me about what they want but it was our decision to make this move one which I do not regret. Where in the UK would you see the wonderful wildlife that we have seen here in Oz not to mention the beautiful beaches and parks.

I am almost certain that there will be tough times ahead of us but we have come this far and I am sure we can continue to strive.

I suppose really my message here is that if you really really want it you can have it even on a shoestring. It will not be easy but all you need to do is be strong and believe it can happen.

Wishing luck to everyone battling to get here and I sincrely hope that things work out for you all as they have for us.

Kind Regards

Karen :wubclub:

hi karen ...glad to hear things have turned out well for you and your family ....and yes i totally agree it can be done on a shoestring ...we arrived with around the same amount of cash and have got all the basics we really need ...

mrs keily

Guest SGKG102
hi karen ...glad to hear things have turned out well for you and your family ....and yes i totally agree it can be done on a shoestring ...we arrived with around the same amount of cash and have got all the basics we really need ...

mrs keily

Hi mrs keily,

Thanks. Surprising how you manage on such a small amount of money but it is made easier by the furniture packages available. Cheap and cheerful I know but does the job for now and probably a couple of years.

How long have you been here?

Regards

Karen :biggrin:

im glad to hear your all ok and your oh has work , i remember us being in a sim boat at the same time , my oh got sorted as well.. funny how for some of us it takes a little longer for all the pins to drop hey , onwards and upwards !! all the best with the rest x

Jeez Karen, reading your post was almost like reading the first part of our live here in Oz. We arrived with 2 teenagers and no jobs to come and just suitcases and $10,000.00.

Well after a year here, hubby is still in his same job, I am on my 4th but hey on the bright side been there over 4 months now.

We also just moved into our own place (doing a rent to own). Again most of the furniture is either 2nd hand or from Super Amart.

It's true, if you are determined, you can make a go of it here on a shoestring budget... the likes of us, you and the Keilys are living proof.

Great post and glad to see you settled and doing well.

Cheers

Karen

Guest SGKG102
Jeez Karen, reading your post was almost like reading the first part of our live here in Oz. We arrived with 2 teenagers and no jobs to come and just suitcases and $10,000.00.

Well after a year here, hubby is still in his same job, I am on my 4th but hey on the bright side been there over 4 months now.

We also just moved into our own place (doing a rent to own). Again most of the furniture is either 2nd hand or from Super Amart.

It's true, if you are determined, you can make a go of it here on a shoestring budget... the likes of us, you and the Keilys are living proof.

Great post and glad to see you settled and doing well.

Cheers

Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your comments. Just wanted to enquire about the rent to buy scheme. I have seen these advertised but have wondered whether they are all they seem. Can you tell me how you found out about this and what information and cryteria is required to qualify. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Karen :cool:

Guest mazandnev

Hi, the rent to buy sounds fab,could you give me some more info on it please.Have been here for 3weeks now and not heard of it so any links would be great,thanx. Hope all goes well for you ,Mari

Guest Midlanders

Great post

It justs reinforces the message you dont need tens of thousands to make a go on your new life down under....

Best wishes to you all for the future and hopefully we all can meet up in OZ when we get there

Judy

Best of luck for the future, can totally relate to what you are saying, we came with little money for a family of 6 and have struggled with jobs, the only things we bought new for our rental are the beds, everything else we have had given to us, by very generous people. Five months later we are now working and money seems to be better, and the kids are happy which is the main thing.

Tania x

Guest guest17301

just wanted to add my thoughts on the moving on a budget theme. I think most that do are well used to doing exactly the same in the uk. Its not easy but it does give a sense of achievement. With christmas on the way and various other visa related comittments december will be tight for us....but i just look at how far weve come in 12 monthsand that puts things into perspective. Think we'll put up our 'donated' christmas trees today!

Guest claire9592
Hi all, "Warning Long Post"

Hope everyone is well. Just thought I would give an update on how things have been for us in the first 6 months of our new life here in Oz.

It all started on 15 May 2009 when we left our friends and families back in the UK. That was not easy especially as we were leaving two of our children behind. They had the opportunity to come with us but decided not to which is a shame but may be when they come to visit they will want to stay.

We landed on Australian soil in the early hours of the 17 May 2009 with nothing but a suitcase and travel bag each and $9,000 in our pocket. There are 4 of us, 2 adults and 2 teenagers. Our holiday rental was fab, nice cool pool and fully equipped for just $500 per week. The guys who own the holiday home have been fantastic in helping us start our new lives. I managed to gain employment within the first two weeks of arriving at the Real Estate Agents where we were looking for a rental. Not only did we manage to secure a rental but also I managed to secure employment. We hired a car for the first 7 weeks while we were in the holiday accommodation which was really reasonable. Then for a few months we just walked andused public transport. I will not pretend that it was easy as we were living on one income for a while but we had a place to live, a great furniture package from Fantastic Furniture, had made some friends and of course have each other.

There have been times when I thought we had made a very big mistake, especially when Steve could not find work but then I thought about the reason for being here in the first place and things did not seem so bad. Kayleigh started school almost immediately and that again was not easy. During the first couple of weeks I had to drag her to school kicking and screaming. Then Liam, he could not find work. At 17 and having left school and done a year at college in the UK he was not prepared to go back to school for a year. He would just sit around all day and do nothing but watch TV and I became quite concerned for him as he did not really want to come with us and I felt guilty that I had forced him to leave his friends and life in the UK. Steve also was in a bit of a rut because he felt guilty that I was supporting the family. We could not complete our Family Allowance claim because Steve had not received his TFN despite the fact that he is the Australian citizen.

Eventually 12 weeks after applying his TFN number turned up but not before I had written a letter of complaint. We were then able to apply for the Family Allowance. We did this and received confirmation of our entitlement which was backdated. Then within 4 weeks both Steve and Liam had obtained employment. It was strange because just when I was fearing the worse the change happened.

I applied for finance to buy the car and got it. Liam went for his interview and got the job and then Steve all within the space of 7 days. Kayleigh has now settled at school and is doing really well. Liam has now changed jobs and we never see him as he is always out. Steve is doing OK but wishes he could get a better job but hey it's a job and it brings in the money. I have settled in to my job after a bit of a bumpy start and everything seems to be working out just fine altough a little tight but we are used to that any way.

We have just this weekend moved into another rental which is fab. As I sit here enjoying the sunshine and trying to get into the Christmas spirit I realise that everything happens for a reason and there is a reason for everything. It is difficult at the moment because it is so close to Christmas and it is not cold and wet and my boys are not here nagging me about what they want but it was our decision to make this move one which I do not regret. Where in the UK would you see the wonderful wildlife that we have seen here in Oz not to mention the beautiful beaches and parks.

I am almost certain that there will be tough times ahead of us but we have come this far and I am sure we can continue to strive.

I suppose really my message here is that if you really really want it you can have it even on a shoestring. It will not be easy but all you need to do is be strong and believe it can happen.

Wishing luck to everyone battling to get here and I sincrely hope that things work out for you all as they have for us.

Kind Regards

Karen :wubclub:

Hi Karen

Just wondered what you thought of Clarkson, are the people nice? is there plenty to do? do you feel at home?

We are moving there late next hear (I hope) its nice to read all the different opinions but better from people who are actually there rather than people who just pass through.

Any feedback would be great to read.

Thanks

Claire

Hi Karen

Just wondered what you thought of Clarkson, are the people nice? is there plenty to do? do you feel at home?

We are moving there late next hear (I hope) its nice to read all the different opinions but better from people who are actually there rather than people who just pass through.

Thanks

Claire

Clarko is like any other place a mix of people , there is an older area to wards merriwa , and the newer bit at Somerly ,its like a lot of burbs in Perth ,plenty to do depends wot you mean ,Perth tends to close at 9pm, not a dig but fatmost restaurants etc , one reason ,a lot of tradies and office workers start early hence finish early . You have mindarie across the marmion , beaches , arena wat at moore drive big leisure sports complex. Ther are parks for the bin lids , one factor you will get used to travelling for work or leisure so no worries there. We are movin to Brighton xmas , so its not santa claus in his sleigh but me in a ute lol

Guest SGKG102
Hi Karen

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire,

I personally love Clarkson. I have just moved from the old side to the new side. Nothing to do with one side being better than the other just did not feel at home in the house we were in. The new one we are in now is more homely. As for things to do there is just a pub which is quite nice but other than that there is not really much in Clarkson itself but there is a fantastic train service that takes about 6 minutes to Joondalup which has fantastic shopping and around 20 minutes to Perth City where there is plenty to do. There is also Mindarie Marina where there are a few pubs and restuarants and fantastic beach. This is a 5 minute drive from Clarkson or 30 minute walk if you want to have a good night out. The Boat is really nice especially on a Sunday afternoon.

There are loads of interesting National parks and fantastic beaches to explore especially in Yanchep which is about a 15/20 minute drive from Clarkson. I suppose it really depends on what you are looking for. You definitely need a car to visit places tho.

I have found the people to be very friendly but you do get the odd one or two who aren't but that is everywhere these days. The shopping centre at Ocean Keys is good and full of really friendly people.

I actually work at the shopping centre so luckily it is really close and within walking distance. Having said that tho the train service is brill as I have said and loads of people comute rather than drive.

I do feel at home here but this is the only place I have lived since arriving. I think it is more familiarity. I did nearly move to Butler instead of this house but was talked out of it by my boss and colleagues at work purely because of being close to the few friends I have made here in Clarkson.

It is really relaxed but then most of WA is which is why it is sometimes referred to a Wait Awhile.

It is hard to say if you will love it as much as I do because everyone is different and looking for different things but if it just the quiet life you are after then Clarkson is deffo the place to be.

There are some nice schools in Clarkson. The high school has quite a bad reputation but my daugher goes there and is doing on really really well in fact I have just today received a certificate of comendation from one of her teachers. Same as everywhere really good and bad points.

I hope this helps a bit but if I can tell you any more please do not hesitate to let me know.

Good luck with your plans.

Karen :wacko:

• 2 years later...
Guest mumzietwo

Karen,

what a lovely story , can i ask where abouts you are living we are looking at heading over to somerly, can you shed some light on this area ?

Archived