Will you all stop saying we are all sad!

Guest meme

I don't think that you have to be polarised in likeing or disliking Aus or UK

Exactly! The perfect word! There doesn't need to be a polarization! There doesn't have to be a choice, you can like both countries for different reasons!

I liked AU for certain things the UK can not offer me, I like the UK for reasons I can not fulfill in AU. Balanced up, the UK won for me. We all tip our own ways!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree 2tigers, because choose one doesn't mean you don't like another - it's about fulfilling your needs.

Yes, and I feel for a lot of people its only time that can really allow you to feel this way. Moving to AU is such a huge decision, its only natural to want to back up reasons as to why the move happened or is about to happen in the first place. It HAS to be/look better to want to do it? Otherwise why bother? We wouldn't move anywhere! We are always looking for the greener grass are we not?

Yes, and I feel for a lot of people its only time that can really allow you to feel this way. Moving to AU is such a huge decision, its only natural to want to back up reasons as to why the move happened or is about to happen in the first place. It HAS to be/look better to want to do it? Otherwise why bother? We wouldn't move anywhere! We are always looking for the greener grass are we not?

...so true...and some times you find out the grass actually isn't greener the other side, and i'm actually glad i did it, went forth and found out it wasn't for me and realised everything i ever wanted was right on my doorstep in the first place! and to be honest..i may come accross as angry to some people now, because maybe i feel i am in a away, because my life is SO good now..my grass has never been greener in the year i have been back, to be honest, i am probably a bit more annoyed(how can i put this in a nice way?)...that i had to move 1500 miles, sold everything i owned, put my family through the heartache of goodbyes..etc..etc only to return home and say.'nah, wasn't for me', me and my kids are so happy and settled and appreiate everything and everyone so much now , i think it's maybe guilt more than anger??

Perhaps you're more frustrated than angry Meme. Just think of it as an itch you've well and truly scratched now lol

:wink: you might be right, i think you may have well hit the nail on the head there.x

It can also be embarrassing too, leaving the UK for a life your friends and family only ever dream of, then you may find out its not as fantastic as you hoped. Then to return home with tail between legs. That's when the initial (AU is better thats why we are going there) thoughts are reversed!

Guest siamsusie

It can also be embarrassing too, leaving the UK for a life your friends and family only ever dream of, then you may find out its not as fantastic as you hoped. Then to return home with tail between legs. That's when the initial (AU is better thats why we are going there) thoughts are reversed!
I personally couldnt give a damn what people thought if I were to return to europe. Australia isnt the be and end all of the world, going abroad is a wonderful way of getting to know yourself out of our comfort zones, and you have established this isnt for you , plenty more countries in the world . Travel should never be an endurance but an education in life :hug: Susie

Guest proud2beaussie

And if people are that shallow that they tease you about returning then IMO they aren't worth worrying about anyway,real friends will be glad to have you back.

I personally couldnt give a damn what people thought if I were to return to europe. Australia isnt the be and end all of the world, going abroad is a wonderful way of getting to know yourself out of our comfort zones, and you have established this isnt for you , plenty more countries in the world . Travel should never be an endurance but an education in life :hug: Susie

I agree, travel is a fantastic experience and I personally had no problem in returning, no-one judged me, in fact it was encouraged I came home.

Not sure if your comment was meant to be directed at me, but you don't know me so I assume you were talking in general. I am a very well traveled person, visiting more countries than my age. I traveled the world from 1995 - 2005 only returning to the UK once, max twice ea yr for a matter of only weeks ea time, and enjoyed every corner I visited. But when it came to actually settle in a country and put roots down its very different than flitting between countries & having fun. If anyone would have thought someone would settle, the odds were it would have been me. I am a good case to show, its not always a lack of experience in moving out of a comfort zone, there are many other factors involved.

Guest siamsusie

No Tiger it was a broad generalisation and it was in response to your comment above. :notworthy:

And if people are that shallow that they tease you about returning then IMO they aren't worth worrying about anyway,real friends will be glad to have you back.

Totally agree.

My original post of "tail between the legs" was generalizing. Different circumstances bring about different feelings and my personal circumstances were far from the norm. Its never good to say that after all the excitement, planning, money, hard work of changing your life that it just didnt work? That you are coming home, with less than you went with, disillusioned in most cases to a degree of total disappointment in oneself that it didn't work. I doubt any friends would tease, that would be rather immature.

Guest MissingHome

You have to do what you have to do. It's your life! Take no notice of whatever anybody has to say. It's your business only, nobody elses.

Guest MissingHome
There's an old saying, something like "better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all".

Also, in life we tend to regret not doing things when we had the chance more than we regret doing things and failing.

Very, very good post and very true.

Archived