Going the student route to gain employment??

kellyjamie

Hi all,

I spoke to a migration agent at a small seminar on Tuesday evening which was mainly focused on the student route but i thought id go along anyhow see if could get info on all the recent changes etc as it was only 2 mn form my office. Anyhow once there i had an extremely interesting chat which threw up this idea for us in our situation....

Jamie has been trying pretty much every nite on the phone to oz employers to find an employer sponsor but all and honestly he has not had one negative phone call, have said we'd love to see your c.v and would be really interested in you BUT once your here!! Primarily this is because he will be working with youths so understandably they want to physically see him and vet him. So we are fairly sure we wont get an employer to sponsor us from here!

We have only recently applied to WA for regional sponsorship and so our visa app wont be in until start of next year so we will have atleast minimum 3 year wait from next year if successful, unless Mr Evans reverses his processing times, which given his history of chopping and changing could happen but prob not!

So idea being we go over on student visa as me being the one to study, Jamie gains part time employment, he already has positive skills assessment and hopefully within the 2 years of study he can secure an employer willing to sponsor him for full time job? We are fully aware of all the negatives with student visas and all the cost involved. We would not make any choice until after the new announcements regarding MODL/CSL and the student issues. Just throwing the idea out there so i could get some feedback?

much appreciated

kelly:wubclub:

Guest garynhelen

Hi Kelly,

I've also wondered about the student route as I was wondering about re-training myself to something more employable!

Sounds like your husband is in similar kind of work to mine (youth work?) We've been looking for an employer to sponsor us too, but it seems almost impossible. We really don't want to wait three+?? years as our kids are 12, 15 and 16, so we're worried that by the time we get a CO they'll say eldest can't come on our visa!

I'll be waiting to see what response you get on this idea.

Helen

Hiya Kelly

I don't know the ins and outs of the student visa however a family i know came to Brisbane on one and they are pretty restrited to what hours they can work etc, it can also be difficult to secure work in the designated profession you are studying because you can only do a few hours a week .

Because its not classed as permanent you can't get Centrelink assistance so you really do need a decent nest egg behind you.

If you are getting possitive responses like you say would it not be worth lining up a few appointments with prospective employers(who are willing to sponser) and booking a week or 2 out here, even if hubby comes alone ,,if it got you a visa,,,,,,,,. I understand the cost involved with flights, accommodation etc but weighed up against finances living on a student visa it might not be a bad idea.

Good Luck

Cal x

Guest stillwaiting79

Hi Kelly,

Im on the student route right now and I need to tell you its an absolute pain!!!!!! First of all trying to get a part time work and I mean one that pays well and is good is extremely hard. I was in a high paying position before coming here and when I got here no one wanted to hire a student like me as i was "too experienced" according to them and I had to do waitressing & cleaning jobs. Talk about a fall from grace :) .....several months later i finally landed a job in a large orginisation that hires students and im still with them..bidding my time for my PR to come through.

I'm telling you this not to scare you but to share my experience and hope you get the full picture of what you'll be faced with. Hopefully you'll be luckier than me.

But if I were you or knew what I knew now, I would do my absolute ALL to get a job here and be sponsored (457) or not come at all.

Cheers.....still waiting (came to Oz Sept 2006)

Guest wanderer

Kelly,

I'd have a close look at the full financial implications for a student visa path for in addition to the visa fees, there's the various ammounts you need to be able to show you have for support finances[ I think the government has just raised that too, from $12,000 to $18,000 base ammount for just primary applicant - a thread just the other day].

And then the course fees themselves are not going to be cheap either.

It'd be a lot cheaper to come out on a short trip as Cal indicates and you can keep costs down, www.airasia.com always having pretty cheap flights and even to travel from one capital city to another and beyond, perhaps call in at some regional cities along the way [at least over east coast way between Adelaide and Cairns] there's always camperban relocations - Rental Relocations Australia New Zealand United States Canada - Hire Now at StandByCars or www.tigerairways.com.au

I suppose it's a bit of a gamble either way but a lot less financially you're gambling with on a shorter trip with an eVisa or ETA, only thing you need to be aware of is that you're travelling on a tourist visa to tour [not do job spotting] and so any info you want to have with you in regard to later work opportunities, you ought to email to yourself just in case you score a nosey customs guy who spots all this documentation and thinks that's strange for a holiday and you may then be getting asked some questions by an immigration guy and be in a situation you'd rather not be in.

thanks everyone,

Stillwiting: thanks for your honesty its good to have that side of the picture aswell

Cal: we have been thinking that, it would be not bad cost wise as it would only be flights for hubby as we have friends he could stay with but were not sure how much difference it would make as they all say thay "dont do employer sponsor" but maybe if he were there it may be different. but im not sure which visa he would apply to head out there for 2 weeks on as you cant use a normal holiday visa as you cant be seen to be trying to find employment? tho how would they actually know?

Helen: yep Jamie does same as you so you,ll know how hard it is to find employer from here! Our son is coming up for 13 so we also know what your thinking age wise aswell

thanks everyone x

Hi Kelly

Student visa pathway is always a last resort but it looks like the off-list WA sponsorship may be an outside chance but you may not know for some months. Will be too late then to try the 475 backdoor with South Australia - it may work, it may not. Get Jamie to re-apply to VETASSESS (before the changes on 01 January 20010) for a VETASSESS occupation on their 475 list. Then apply to SA for 475 sponsorship as the building associate or whatever VETASSESS assessed occupation you choose on the 475 list. 12 months skilled experience needs to be in ANY SOL occupation so I think Jamie is OK on that score - you just need to talk SA into sponsoring you and that you really want to go to SA.

Regards

Guest wanderer

Kelly,

I think welshtone is under the impression that you're looking at a student visa as a pathway rather than just using it as a means to be there so Jamie has a chance to get an employer sponsorship.

The reason your friends could be saying "don't do employer sponsorship" [if I'm reading you right] is likely because we do get media coverage from time to time of dodgy employers, mainly associated with bringing in welders and steel workers from China or somewhere else in Asia on the 457 visas.

DIAC have introduced changes to tighten up in that area and for the employment you're looking at, I'd be surprised if there were to be problems and especially if it is ENS/RSMS that you're going to be looking at.

Thanks Wanderer

Yes, I was assuming Kelly was looking at the student as a means to PR - is much less risk if it is just as a stop-gap while waiting for slow-boat 475 visa, or to give better chance of getting employer sponsored - temporary or permanent.

Regards

Thanks Wanderer,

Tony, sorry mate i should of explained that a bit better! We would HOPE the student route be a stop gap while Jamie secures an employer sponsor but if he was unable we would have the student route to fall back on providing we pick something suitable to lead to PR if need be, so if we were to head out next year say on student visa it would give jamie 2 years to try and secure employer sponsor, we are thinking this because all the calls hes made are very positive but they want him in oz first

cheers

Guest wanderer

If you've the funds Kelly and are set on doing a student visa, though latest DIAC review decision expected sometime either side of NY is more about GSM, I'd still think about waiting until something is out as it may give some pointers towards possible courses of study that may interest you.

Only trouble is that things could also change dramatically in two years.

Hopefully Jamie does pick up something and have you also looked at the other way of he doing further IT study in OZ if that can get him to an ACS assessment level and then he'll possibly be looking at CSL or whatever the new equivalent rating will be.

The Central Eastern Europeans, 25-35 yo's we help do this more practical approach, as even if skilled up to their eye balls, many need to improve their English, but most are not sure about Australia (and do not have the funds to take a gamble).

Many whether single or a couple use it to see Australia, while studying a useful career qualification (if already competent in English they study cheaper VET business or IT courses AUD5-7500 per year, not TAFE which is more expensive) to supplement education and experience they already have (many are young professionals with EU experience already).

By studying and working in Oz they experience things first hand, see how things go in employment, real estate etc. world, discover themselves and mature (biggest impact), and ascertain whether they like Australia, would they return, continue study, get sponsored &/or even migrate.

New monthly living costs have been announced rising from AUD1000 to AUD1500, i.e. more realistic. But this is aimed at AL3 & 4 high risk countries like India etc. who have to provide evidence for Pre Visa Assessment PVA (to make sure they can support themselves). AL1 like British, visa is online, do not have to prove finances, but are trusted to take into account when planning, to include recommended living costs :)

Archived