*Newsflash* States meeting with DIAC tomorrow (Tuesday) on GSM priorities

Guest Mach

Dear All,

Does anyone have some inside stories out of the meeting? Personally thinking that states were p-i-s-s-e-d by DIAC again. Sorry to say that, but just because i lose hopes!

I would like to hear some these stories too.

My opinion is that states were given the necessary conditions accomplishig which DIAC will return their applicants into the priority. It might be antiscamming procedures, tighter rules.

It's a one way game with no fairness so untill Aus need us again we won't be treated well.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

we got our 475 SS visa granted in July 09, however we are planning to fly out in Feb 10.

Is this going to effect our visa?

I am unsure and confused at what changes are taking place.

Any help, to clear my mind would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Here is another letter which was received by a member of another forum from ACT:

Hi Everybody

Greetings from Canberra. I hope you enjoy the latest newsletter.

For those in the queue, patiently awaiting their visa, we have been lobbying DIAC on your behalf, hoping to persuade them to reinstate the processing priorities for government sponsored non CSL visas. The old processing priority also benefits us as it means that our sponsored skilled migrants will be arriving here within months instead years, not only to enjoy our wonderful lifestyle, but to help meet our critical need for skilled workers

Let’s hope we all hear good news in 2010 so that we can say hello in person and show you around our beautiful city.

I got an ermail from ACT settlement services today stating the same. I emailed them yesterday and whilst they must be sick of getting harrassed by us, I encourage you ALL to do it!

Guest wanderer

Good news would indeed be welcome.

But just to put a damper on things, sorry, :wubclub: DIAC treat the State Govs as a leaky sieve when it comes to announcing their plans. It's easy for one state or another to undermine the cohesion DIAC think they have.

The changes that made all the bother for everyone were communicated at high level to State representatives and that information did NOT filter down to those State sponsorship managers actually handling the cases (who might be attending this meeting).

The big wigs kept their workers in the dark. For all we know the wigs already know what will be going on at DIAC and when, and this meeting is just a steam vent for eveyone else to blow some pressure off.

What I'm saying is, try not to recreate your own rollercoasters. It's easy for me to say I know, but while we hope for the change we can't plan for one happeneing just yet.

To add to Jamie's wet blanket and not to create your own rollercoaster [his words, not mine]

There's a way that governments and government departments normally work and it's all about processes.

Sure there is a process of federal government and state governments meeting at regular intervals and immigration or aspects of it may or may not be on the agenda but they are not the kind of meetings where policy is going to be thrashed around.

The WA government is the only state Liberal government at the moment and it is only normal for state governments not in line with who is in power in Canberra to make noise - attempts at point scoring if you like.

But you'll never hear anything much coming out of a regular monthly feds/states meeting, just too boring for the media when there's other stuff about.

And then you have the DIAC review papers and part of reviews are Parliamentary committees and aside from that if the States wish to make their own sunbmissions to DIAC they'll likely will but in line with whatever a current review may be.

As for some forum putting out a letter saying

Let’s hope we all hear good news in 2010 ..........

That is a long long way from something happening in 2010 instead of 2011, 2013 or whenever.

And that I feel is exactly what Jamie is inferring when he says do not create your own rollercoaster.

Guest perfectstranger
Here is another letter which was received by a member of another forum from ACT:

Hi Everybody

Greetings from Canberra. I hope you enjoy the latest newsletter.

For those in the queue, patiently awaiting their visa, we have been lobbying DIAC on your behalf, hoping to persuade them to reinstate the processing priorities for government sponsored non CSL visas. The old processing priority also benefits us as it means that our sponsored skilled migrants will be arriving here within months instead years, not only to enjoy our wonderful lifestyle, but to help meet our critical need for skilled workers

Let’s hope we all hear good news in 2010 so that we can say hello in person and show you around our beautiful city.

I too have received exactly the same email from ACT govt.

I would say there is a significant difference between a situation where one is waiting for news contra one where a person is expecting good news. While it is definitely cathartic every once in a while for someone to offer a friendly reality check, I doubt anyone on this board expects an overnight miracle out of the Hobart meeting.

The paradigm shift as I see it is the states came out fighting for our corner. Considering we haven't heard a mouse fart's worth of noise in our favour from anyone remotely close to the powers that be up until now, I'd say that is a significant improvement. And yes, politicians have agendas. As do I over Australia blindly saturating certain job categories with the CSL and absolute prioritisation instead of adopting a more intuitive and diverse approach at local level. However, that doesn't negate the fact that the states voiced their concern about sponsorship being put on ice and that DIAC realised the current situation in untenable in the long-run.

My intel says WA are doing a great job at spearheading this issue, and are doggedly determined to sort something out as soon as possible. I wouldn't hold my breath for significant improvements until after the election, but the tone of the meeting was that changes will happen.

As I said before, two steps forward one step back.

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I have been unwell and only just got back onto PIO.

This is the response from QLD State dated 12/11/09 from my email dated 09/11/09. The person apologised for the delay in responding as they had been on a training course and that they had passed my email onto their Manager who would be able to answer my questions better, this is the Manager's reply;

Thank you for your message. I am responding on behalf of my colleague Ms **** *****

I was as surprised as you when the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) introduced the new processing priority order. As all immigration matters is a constitutionally a Federal Government matter, they can do what they like. Our role in the process is deciding whether we will nominate or not. What happens after that is between the successful nomination applicant and DIAC.

With regards to your dot point questions, our position is that we will continue to process nomination applications for people who nominate an occupation on our eligible skills list. What happens after that is, as I mentioned, between them and DIAC.

With regards to your other dot point, I am not able to advise on likely changes that will be made by DIAC before 2012 except to say that immigration law changes on a very frequent basis.

My advice would be to lodge your application with DIAC so that you get into their processing queue (as frustrating as this may seem at this time).

Regards

Guest jains005

This is the reply i got from NT govt......

Hi Jains

I am sorry your case has been caught up in the change to the new processing priorities. Unfortunately there has been no word yet on making any exceptions.

I believe it is DIAC's intention to catch up on the backlog of applications with occupations on the Critical Skills List (CSL) they continue with the other applications. As your medicals and police clearances have been done, I would expect that your application would be one of the first to process once they have caught up with the CSL applications. If that is the case, you may be fortunate in being granted your visa before the end of 2012 - particularly as the message you received is the same message being given to new applicants.

Another option available to you is to seek employer sponsorship. You would be able to make a fee free application for either the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). These are permanent residency visas that are very fast processing visas to assist Australian employers fill their current skills shortages. The following links will provide you with information:

You may have selected an option on your visa application to have your resume put on the skills matching database. This is a database that is searchable by employers to identify visa applicants who may be interested in being sponsored by an employer. A link to information is as follows:

If you were interested in that, you could contact your case officer to arrange your details to be included on that database.

I hope you find this information useful to you.

Regards

LADS,

Has SA state made any further anouncements with regards to yesterdays meeting as yet?

Hi there, just to update you, I got a response from a SA Senator today. He has asked me for more info including the response I received from DIAC. Hopefully they will keep up the pressure for us.

Tracey xx

Archived