Anyone interested in a Book Club in Point Cook?

Kirsty M

Hi there,

I'm fairly new to the Point Cook area after moving here in May with my OH. I wondered if anyone would be interested in a book club, maybe once a month? Just some nibbles, a few drinks and a light hearted discussion about a good read. If anyone is interested, just drop me a post.

Kirsty :v_SPIN:

Guest Ruth and Don

Oh yes that sounds like a great idea - I will not be living in Point Cook though, does that matter? We are going to be in Williamstown area as i have a job in Maribyrnong starting the first week in feb (will arrive at the beginning of jan). I will be on my own with two teenagers for the first 4 months - :arghh: so could need a get away!

Guest Prickles83

Hey, sounds a good idea!

I don't arrive until January but will be living around the Point Cook/ Hoppers Crossing/ Werribee area.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry for being so slack with the response....crap organiser that I am...lol :) You don't have to be from Point Cook to come along, I was just giving that as a point of reference really. The more the merrier!

I was thinking that maybe it would be good to hold the first book club at some point in January, as a couple of you girlies won't arrive in Oz until then. What do you all think about dates for the first one? Does anyone have any suggestions for the book or should I really come up with that as the organiser? Let me know your thoughts.

Hope you're all having a good week and are still interested in the book club.

Kirsty :jiggy:

Guest Ruth and Don

My plan is to arrive mid Jan as I am going to New Zealand to stay with my sister for a couple of weeks. Our flights are booked for 25th Dec.

I'm happy to read anything; just can't wait to finish at school (i'm a teacher) and have time to enjoy a good read :biggrin:

Can I just ask - how long does it take to get into/out from CBD in the rush hour from point cook? House rental prices are soooo much cheaper!

My plan is to arrive mid Jan as I am going to New Zealand to stay with my sister for a couple of weeks. Our flights are booked for 25th Dec.

I'm happy to read anything; just can't wait to finish at school (i'm a teacher) and have time to enjoy a good read :biggrin:

Can I just ask - how long does it take to get into/out from CBD in the rush hour from point cook? House rental prices are soooo much cheaper!

Timimg on commuting!!! There are good days and bads days as there is anywhere. On a clear run to the CBD - 15mins, on a good day in rush hour - 30 mins, on a bad day - 1 hour. Majority of the time you will be looking 30-40 mins.

Hope this helps

Leanda x

This is from the Whereis site, I would add at least an extra 30 mins for traffic depending on the time of travel. Of course it depends where in the CBD you would be working.

Start 85 Point Cook Homestead Rd, Point Cook, VIC 3030

End Collins St, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Distance: 28km Time: 28min (approx)

Another good site to play with is viclink, you can plan journeys on public transport and on foot, try this link

Viclink Journey Planner - Your guide to public transport in Victoria

Good luck ;0)

oh and yes please I would be interested in a book club meet up, I am in Deer Park.

Karen

15 mins Leanda!! how many speeding tickets have you picked up LOL

But you are right, you never know how long it is going to take, the West Gate often gets stuffed up.

I have done this journey at 8am, 9am, 10am and each time it has taken me a min of an hour, once it took me an hour and half. Once I tried to be clever and avoid the city link so through the city, it took me nearly 2 hours!! the whereis site tells me it will take 1 hour and 5 mins.

Start Emmetts, Deer Park, VIC 3023

End Worthing Av, Burwood East, VIC 3151

Distance: 42.3km Time: 42min (approx)

Travel: Fastest (with tolls)

hope this helps

Karen x

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Hope you've had a lovely xmas and are still interested in the book club. A couple of you will be arriving shortly...exciting stuff...I hope it all goes smoothly!!

I was thinking of holding the book club sometime over the weekend 22nd, 23rd or 24th Jan? Would this work for everyone?

I thought we could read 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen.

Overview:

This is a great, glorious, big-hearted novel set in a travelling circus touring the backblocks of America during the Great Depression of the early 1930s. It's a story of love and hate, trains and circuses, dwarves and fat ladies, horses and elephants - or to be more specific, one elephant, Rosie, star of Benzini Bros Most Spectacular Show on Earth . . .When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, swindlers and misfits in a second-rate circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression.A veterinary student who almost earned his degree, Jacob is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that Jacob meets Marlena, the beautiful equestrienne who is married to August, a charismatic but violently unpredictable animal trainer. Jacob also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems unmanageable until he discovers an unusual way to reach her. Water for Elephantsis a story that has it all - warmth, humour, poignancy and passion. It has an energy and spirit like the feeling under a big top when the show is about to begin. It is a novel that will win your heart.

Books are quite expensive in Australia for some reason, so I buy mine from Book Depository in the UK - www.bookdepository.co.uk. It's free international delivery and this book is 7.19 (can't find the pound symbol on this laptop).

Anyway I hope you guys are still interested. Let me know your thoughts and we'll lock something in.

Have a great New Year!!

Kirsty x

Guest Prickles83

Hello,

I'm travelling down the east coast and don't arrive back in melbourne until the afternoon of the 23rd but would be happy to attend either the evening of the 23rd or the 24th providing i a have transport and b can find where ever the meet is!

We could always change it to the followng weekend if it's better for you. Another girl PM'd to say she is interested in coming along too if it's on the weekend. Should be good fun. I was just thinking of having it at my place to be honest. You must be heading off today. I hope it's a good flight and you manage to get some sleep.

Kirsty :)

Guest Prickles83

Yes setting off in half an hour- so excited but thought i had better check my emails before i set off !

See you soon!

Either weekend is fine- just let me know and i will try and get there!

i'm leaving on a jet plane don't know if i'll be back again!!!!!!....

he he he - OZ here I come!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Prickles83

Hello all,

I'm really sorry I could make it on Saturday- after travelling for 30 hours we literally picked up the keys for our new house and went straight to bed!

I was really looking forward to meeting everyone and read the book whilst travelling round the east coast.

I hope everyone had a good time and hope there will be a chance to read another book and meet up soon xx

Hope to catch up with you all soon and let me know when the next planned night is and what the book is

Holly

Guest Ruth and Don

Hey - we had a great time, five of us went hopefully there will be more next time. I'm not sure what the new book is yet but Kirsty said someone had chosen one so watch this space. Where is your house?

Guest Prickles83

Hi there,

We've just got a house in werribee and really like it - furniture due to arrive in three weeks so blow up bed and a fridge at the moment but it was nice to finally unpack!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I was wondering if your book club got off the ground. Moved to Melbourne in November and am still sat at home twiddling my thumbs. Would love to join you all as reading is a passion (and with 3 teenagers all off doing their own thing I have plenty of time!). I live in Sanctuary Lakes so Point Cook is just round the corner. Hope to hear from you soon.

Karen

Been in Oz for 6 years but in NSW until November last year. Love it here but now having to make new friends - always difficult when the kids are older and I'm yet to get a job. Would love to be included in plans for another book club meeting as I set one up where I used to live. Thanks for the reply

Karen

• 1 month later...
Guest ReneeB

Hi. I would love to join your bookclub if you're still looking for new menebrs? I live in Altona Meadows, but am moving to PC in the not too distant future. We've been here for nearly 4 years now. We're originally from Wokingham (well I am Hubby is from Eastbourne).

Love to hear more about the group.

Regards

Renee

Archived