bringing cat with us

legoman

Guest wanderer

You ought to start @ Bringing Cats and Dogs and other pets to Australia - DAFF

There's vet examination and certificate to be got and then booking their transport and Quarantine for a month it may be.

All up likely to cost as much if not more than your own fare.

You could do some of the arranging yourself if a hands on person who does not mind the paperwork etc. but I think a lot of people possibly view it as one less thing to be concerned about in getting themselves organised if they use an animal transporting agency/company.

There's a couple of recent threads that pet owners have contributed to and quite a few company references there, if not this page, the next probably.

It is expensive to bring animals over, but I would not have left my two cats behind for the world!! That is so cute that it's your 12 year old son who obviously adores the cat!

It's a long time since we came so I have not idea about costs, but try contacting someone like Airpets and they should be able to give you all the info you need.

Love

Rudi

x

Thanx for the replies and info, deffo taking him with us. he is only 1 year old softie at mo and huge, bit like fred flintstone, i put him out he jumps back thru window puts me out lol. we would all miss him in reality so will take him regardless of cost :cry: and my sons seemingly 2 tons of lego hence the name. everything else apart from clothes will be sold off. Oh was brought up in perth and says their cats used to come indoors with snakes etc in their mouth. great,:eek:

Guest juliemtaylor

we are taking our 2 if all goes well.. Had several quotes and for 2 it's about £1600 to £2000 not inc quarantine fees in Oz.

Julie x

We are going to Brisbane and have had quotes for two cats ranging from £1200 to £2400 with varying degrees as to what is included. Additionally in all cases are the quarantine fees and transporting from Sydney to Brissy. All in we are kissing goodbye to three grand for the two feline friends, but we wouldn't leave them behind. We just hope that enjoy the lifestyle in Oz too!

the one thing that we did when we bought our cat over was to make sure he had all the vaccinations he needed to ensure he had a pet passport, just on the off chance we went back to the UK we couldn't face him being in quarantine for months, this way it is just 30 days I think.

We dropped our cat in a box supplied by the shippers. They fill the bowls with water, no food is given. Our cat flew out the night we dropped him then spent 30 days in quarantine, we did visit him but just the once as our son was so upset at leaving him behind. The pens were large and spotless with water mist spraying as it was so hot.

It is such a lot of money and our cat is 13 (luckily fit and healthy) but I think we would have payed twice just to get him here, the minute he came out of quarantine it felt like we were all back together and our house was a home again.

If you can do it, bring your pet it is so worthwhile,

best of luck

Michelle

We brought our cat 3 years ago, she's now 18 years old. We used a company called pets on the move, we just ensured she was up to date with her jabs. The company picked her up 2 days before, took her to the vets for the fitness to fly certificate and took her to the airport. She was in quarantine 30 days. It cost us $1,300 (2007), we don't regret bringing her, it helped the kids settle knowing she was here and as my hubby said - we'd had her longer than the kids and it would be like leaving one of the family lol

I would love to move my cat over but I am not too sure if he is too old....he is 15 but in good health.

what do people think is 15 too old or should i move him, i love the whiskers off him and i am missing him like mad not being with him!

emma

x

Em, We asked the vet and they did a full geriatric work up on the cat who was also 15. He said she was healthy and there was no reason for us not to bring her if we wanted to. The boxes they fly in are really quite roomy, and quarantine really looked after her, she was fit and healthy when we picked her up. As I said before, she celebrated her 18th birthday this year and has managed with the climate.

We are going to Brisbane and have had quotes for two cats ranging from £1200 to £2400 with varying degrees as to what is included. Additionally in all cases are the quarantine fees and transporting from Sydney to Brissy. All in we are kissing goodbye to three grand for the two feline friends, but we wouldn't leave them behind. We just hope that enjoy the lifestyle in Oz too!

Watch for the pythons in qland ,they will eat owt

Em, We asked the vet and they did a full geriatric work up on the cat who was also 15. He said she was healthy and there was no reason for us not to bring her if we wanted to. The boxes they fly in are really quite roomy, and quarantine really looked after her, she was fit and healthy when we picked her up. As I said before, she celebrated her 18th birthday this year and has managed with the climate.

Youngun I could cope with the climate if all i did was eat ,sleep , and lick my a*** , trouble is my tongues not long enough lol

• 1 month later...

Hi

We are planning to move to Adelaide (or possibly Melbourne) next year, and we also have a cat. He is 13 and called Buster.

He like to go out most nights and sleep during the day. This suits us, as we both work.

Does anyone think this will be a problem in Adelaide (or Melbourne).

Is it quite easy to own a cat in either of these places?

Thanks

Paul

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi Paul, we are just about to send our 2 nearly 13 year old cats to Melbourne (house sale going through permitting) with Petair and have researched Melbourne a bit. Lots of areas have either dusk to dawn Cat Curfews or 24hour curfews like Mornington where we are hoping to go. You can check on the areas you like on their council websites and there are guidelines about registration etc.

Julie x

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

We are planning to move to Adelaide (or possibly Melbourne) next year, and we also have a cat. He is 13 and called Buster.

He like to go out most nights and sleep during the day. This suits us, as we both work.

Does anyone think this will be a problem in Adelaide (or Melbourne).

Is it quite easy to own a cat in either of these places?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

As Julie has mentioned most councils have a curfew or do not permit cats to roam outdoors at all. You also need to be aware, although it doesn't affect you, that their is a limit to how many cats and dogs you can have (usually 2 of each).

I wrote an article recently for the Australia and New Zealand Magazine about shipping animals to Australia, as there does not seem to be enough information about the process and the regulations once you arrive.

I have only knowledge of Victorian Councils but for Adelaide it may be worth having a look at: Splash

Personally, if your cat is use to be outdoors he is not going to be impressed at having to be kept inside. Your options are to purchase an outdoor cat pen Betta Pet Systems - Cat enclosures and cages or cat proof your garden with something like the CatNet Cat Enclosure Cat nets Cat Netting Cat Runs Enclosures These are an excellent idea and provide your cat with more freedom than being kept in an enclosure.

The problem is once a cat has had the taste of freedom, they can get really stressed at being kept indoors and this is when you get a lot of behavioural issues like overgrooming etc. Maybe using a pheromone plug in like Feliway when you arrive may help this.

Good luck with everything and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask away.:notworthy:

Archived