What would you say to the Minister of Immigration? Really.

Guest Jamie Smith

... actually Peter Speldewinde has a brief to pacify the hordes and I would be deeply sceptical of the 50/50 chance quoted that they'll process applications through to completion if final processing has been initiated - I think it's more likely that they'll compensate those who've done medical and police clearances unnecessarily. And yes, seeing the Department compensate general skilled migration applicants is not something I ever thought I'd see.

On the question of refunding the visa application charge I think it is certainly possible to ask for a refund if you get in quickly after application, I understand that if you ask for a refund at any stage in the first few weeks that can be done, but afterwards it gets tricky, given the Auditor-General's supervision of the process.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Govt has to say, "With effect from.... there will no longer be a link" to the people who have not started the application process as yet but might do so in the future. It needs a reasonable lead-in period, I feel.

Cheers

Gill

So simple and obvious and unreachable....

Guest Wannabeoz

If only they gave people who have already applied a break! I regret even thinking of apply for a visa now. What an expensive waste of time.

Guest Jamie Smith

Hi Gill

I agree that the MIA is probably best placed to investigate the issue of legal action, or a group of agents could do so too.

Students can go on to lodge other visa applications and receive a bridging visa with work rights.

As the ENS and RSMS programme goes up, the GSM programme for unsponsored visas goes down, so yes they can fit them in by reducing the grant of visas to those who have skills but no sponsor.

You are absolutely right but this is not going to be easy to do unless DIAC spend money on encouraging Aussie employers to like the idea of ENS and RSMS visas for total strangers when the employers have no way of knowing in advance whether the migrant worker will be any good at laying bricks or whatever his occupation happens to be. Not many British visa applicants are prepared to agree to only one member of the family heading for Oz on a 457 visa - about which DIAC might well be obstructive anyway. Not many Britons are prepared to move the whole family to the far side of the planet for anything less than immediate PR, either.

And there's the rub. What everyone forgets is how difficult it can be to get a job in another country on the other side of the world. That is EXACTLy why Hire A Migrant was established.

The effort involved in getting a 457 sponsorship off the ground is idiotically less for a new business than an existing on, so ENS has it's appeal to existing business owners more so than 457.

End of 2010 for a change of methodology, NOT a change of occupations.

The MODL list will be revised anyway, and when the new methodology is in place will be revised in a more radical and hopefully better way.

Quite likely a lot of ENS are ex 457 applicants, yes. Those figures weren't published at the conference.

The issue of degree level quals was just illustrative of the idea to require students seeking PR to study at a better institution than the one say offering cookery to students that doesn't even have a kitchen for students to study in.

Trades might require a more formal course from a TAFE or technical coillege with proper accreditation or a skills assessment from a tightly controlled professional asssessor.

Soemthing has to be done with teh students here now, many have acquired qualifications that are essentially worthless either through poor college operation and lack of control by Govt deaprtments menat to be supervising the sector, or through fraud - either intentionally or otherwise.

It's a mess.

I'm still a little more optimistic than George whern it comes to seeing near completed visas being processes as I think the Govt might see a legal obligation to cover DIAC's stuff up.

Guest Glenn Pereira

Jamie has done an excellent job.

Thanks Gill. Excellent analysis on Jamie's posting.

Let us all wait for the New on-shore and off-shore programs.

The main problem is the "Can of worms" off-shore and on-shore scams to fix. Who will open the can.

-JOB READY

In my Opinion :

Students from Institutes that have been identifed in the Audit process in VIC & NSW will be Trade tested; possibly 80-100000.

Job Ready Test policy will apply to all new visa applicants from TAFE & other Institutes that have been granted the Audit Compliant Certificate.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Guest Migration Help

Woops.... there goes my post and Merlino's once again!

What's going on guys? Is this something to do with PIO going offline today? Strange things happening alright.

we are stuck, we cant decide wether to continue or to just jack it in. we doubt very much we can get a job offer as our occupation is only 40points, infact it wouldnt surprise me if we came off the list all together! dont know if its really worth all of this, maybe we should just contend with our lives here and make the best of it:unsure:

Guest Gollywobbler
Woops.... there goes my post and Merlino's once again!

What's going on guys? Is this something to do with PIO going offline today? Strange things happening alright.

Sheelagh Blanckenburg RMA

Posting from Perth in West Australia.

Kindly obey the rules of this forum. RMAs must use their real names on here and nothing else. Kindly set up an auto-signature providing your real name and your MARN. When you have done that, we will get rid of your alter ego "SolStice" by merging your multiple user identities into one.

You have been told the rules of this forum before. If you continue to defy them then you will be banned for good.

Gill

Guest stillwaiting79

State nominated with CSL, Unallocated 27, Allocated 720, Total 747

Family sponsored CSL, 1130, 279, 1409

All other CSL, 6335, 4289, 10624

All other State nominated, 3678, 0, 3678

MODL only, 12388, 0, 12388

Other, 15659, 0, 15659

Total, 39217, 5279, 44496

So Adelaide hold 12000+ CSL applicants, allow another 12000 for Brisbane and more for Perth etc.

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for ur input and you're a huge info resource. I am on Cat 6(ii) Family Sponsored non-CSL/MODL. Pre 23-Sept they have frozen the 176 apps at Dec 2007. Will they be lifting that ban/freeze anytime soon? I am an Oct 2008 applicant and gone back to school here in OZ as unable to get 457 sponsored....

I would also like to sign/join any petitions that are in the pipeline to get answers to all of our questions.

Cheers.

Guest shirazeram
How about using the word 'ETHICS'? The decisions taken by the minister in the last 12 months are unethical.

Yes, we have been warned that the application fee did not guarantee anything, but once we're asked for medicals, police checks and new passport we're clearly on the finishing line, we start taking measures for the move like selling the house, furniture, cancelling kids school and activities, booking the new school in Oz etc... it doesn't happen overnight. Final stage applicants cannot be put at the bottom of the pile without serious consequences.

(btw, I have been asked to pay the application fee a second time because of a change of nominated occupation in the 176 compared to the 175, just 5 weeks before the new rules... how ethical is this?)

Dear Val,

Could you please tell me why did they ask you for second fee? because I am going to switch from 175 to 176.

is the fee applied for all 175 to 176 or it is applied for specific changes you made?!

Thanks

Shiraz

Guest eurosyl
Dear Val,

Could you please tell me why did they ask you for second fee? because I am going to switch from 175 to 176.

is the fee applied for all 175 to 176 or it is applied for specific changes you made?!

Thanks

Shiraz

Hi Shiraz.. your question is a bit off topic for this thread, but to have your reply quickly.. here it goes:

- No fee involved into adding a state sponsorhip to a VE175 (which turns it into a VE176)

- New application to be made if you want to change a Nominated Occupation on an application. That is what Valeries did: she lodged an application VE176 with a different nominated occupation that the already lodged VE175, and that is why she had to pay fee for a new application.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Guest Glenn Pereira

Sub-class 175 & 176 comes under same Skilled (Migrant) Class VE

An application for a class of visa under Schedule 1 of the Migration Regulaitons can be considered for all sub-classes under the Class.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Guest Migration Help
Sheelagh Blanckenburg RMA

Posting from Perth in West Australia.

Kindly obey the rules of this forum. RMAs must use their real names on here and nothing else. Kindly set up an auto-signature providing your real name and your MARN. When you have done that, we will get rid of your alter ego "SolStice" by merging your multiple user identities into one.

You have been told the rules of this forum before. If you continue to defy them then you will be banned for good.

Gill

Thanks for the lovely response Gill.

The removal of my other posts still makes no sense to me especially as the only reason you have given for their deletions was because they did not fit the thread discussion I posted under. What a strange contention for you to make in the circumstances, especially when one of my posts was just to thank Jamie for his analysis. How did this post not meet the topic under discussion?

Conversely you will note that the posts you have made on the Migration Help forum have not been removed. The mods there are open to a good debate and only remove offensive items, although your last post certainly could be called offensive could it not?

As a matter of interest why did you come onto the Migration Help forum in the first place? Surely you would expect to receive a response? Hiding behind your moderator role now is hardly fair and most unseemly of a 'professional' but then I leave that up to your readers to decide. They can always check out what you have written and my responses on the Migration Help forum.

Have a good day.

Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0100161

PS For the record my surname is spelled Blanckenberg. I am a registered migration agent. I have 8 years professional experience working as an agent with one of the four big accounting firms as well as four years experience with DIAC as a business consultant and case officer in Singapore. I have a degree in Accounting as well as a professional qualification with the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators. I have zero interest in the UK market and I am only on this forum in order to avail myself of natural justice by replying to something you started. As someone with a law degree this principle is no doubt known to you?

Guest thegeordie
You personally may be in a position to stay unemployed for a period of time, whatever that may be but it does not mean all applicants have the same finances.

And with a system like immigration you need regulations that apply to all I imagine you would appreciate.

And whether or not applicants would suffer unemployment heartache, ameliorating unemployment is one factor in the basis of the priority processing system; the GFC has already seen unemployment rise and my personal prediction is that we have not seen the peak.

That may also answer your question too SHAN07

What about those of us who would love to be able to work, I have seen hundreds of jobs in my line of work, which if I was allowed to work I would be able to apply for. Which would mean my Fiance wouldnt need to claim as much from centre link for her two kids as I would be bringing in a wage, which in turn would help your economy.

Could the minister allow me a 3 month visa in which I had to find employment without the need for sponsorship etc

Guest JoanneHattersley

Ok guys, We are ALL on the same side here. The side being helping those moving to Oz.....right????

Can we please put aside any differences from EITHER side and just do what we are here to do?????

I appreciate that there may be more to this `issue` than I am aware of but I think there is a bigger picture here that we need to stay aware of!

THE NEW IMMIGRANTS THAT NEED OUR HELP!

What about those of us who would love to be able to work, I have seen hundreds of jobs in my line of work, which if I was allowed to work I would be able to apply for.

Could the minister allow me a 3 month visa in which I had to find employment without the need for sponsorship etc

I would support this 100%. I know my step-daughter is in exactly the same position. She could have taken umpteen jobs in the past 10 months - if she had the right visa to do so. As for "saving Aussie jobs for Aussie workers" I am sick to death of hearing this from the Govt (read Trade Unions). It is getting embarrassing. I do not know of one employer who would choose, or not choose, an employee based on their visa status. Any employer worth his salt, would surely want the best person for the job! If that so happens to be a migrant, then that is their choice. In fact, most employers know that a migrant will work hard because they have to - they are not entitled to any financial help from the Govt for 2 years so they have to work. When are Mr Evans and Mr Rudd going to wake up.

Guest Migration Help
Ok guys, We are ALL on the same side here. The side being helping those moving to Oz.....right????

Can we please put aside any differences from EITHER side and just do what we are here to do?????

I appreciate that there may be more to this `issue` than I am aware of but I think there is a bigger picture here that we need to stay aware of!

THE NEW IMMIGRANTS THAT NEED OUR HELP!

Quite right Jo. Thanks for instilling some sense into this. There are no 'sides' here. Migrants need all our collective help and energy.

Sheelagh Blanckenberg

Registered Migration Agent MARN 0100161

Hi all

Why can't all the experienced agents out here work together, cope with the changes and focus there energy on getting ENS or RSMS for there clients.

Cause pondering on the lost opportunities is not going to lead anyone of us anywhere. Migration agents are going to lose business while migrants like me a going to lose hope and money.

If we cannot change the system let us work around it. Can anyone of you help me in getting an ENS and RSMS or tell me how I can start working on it.

The minister can change goal posts but he cannot stop me from attempting a goal.

Guest JoanneHattersley

• Instead of getting all the information from DIAC and wasting time analyzing it or debating on it .
  • Why can't all the experienced agents out here work together, cope with the changes and focus there energy on getting ENS or RSMS for there clients.
  • If we cannot change the system let us work around it. Can anyone of you help me in getting an ENS and RSMS or tell me how I can start working on it.
  • The fact is the minister has changed the goal posts but he cannot stop me from attempting a goal

Well said. Changes have to happen in everything in life. We dont like them all but we should learn how to adapt, deal with them and move on!

Archived