What would you say to the Minister of Immigration? Really.

Guest Jamie Smith

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jamie Smith

MAybe this one for Media Player

HMS10V

Currently discussing overstayers and war criminals getting in. You never know when the topic of changes will come up...

Time for a quick lunch.

Jamie's very useful link does go direct to the Committee proceedings. Committee business this afternoon will be more interesting - the webcast can also be watched on one of the parliamentary TV channels for those with digital TV in Australia. Interesting to see Labor's Senator Faulkner on the committee, he used to terrorise the officials while in opposition, now I imagine he duchesses them through.

As I type they're talking about the Movement Alert List which is about managing the migration of those with character and processing concerns, and for those who can't be bothered waiting up for this afternoon's session, the critical document is the Hansard as printed once officials have made their corrections. But I do need to warn people not to expect great shakes out of this, more likely next month's negotiations with the states will bring more positive change for those now waiting.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest wanderer

I reckon we would hope that Senator Goose asking the questions is not typical of the intelligence level of Senators.

Like the guy is not even smart enough not to know if an alleged War Criminal is being investigated by the AFP that it would be up to the AFP and prosecution authorities whether he ought to be detained or not.

Maybe all candidates for election ought to have to sit an assessment test on how a government runs before being granted permission to run.

I'd reckon if I was being asked a question like that, I'd tell the Goose he had an appropriate name.

If this is the standard of the hearing, I doubt there'll be much of any value re what is happening with immigration generally, Mumbles the department white hair guy putting others to sleep will probably take about ten minutes to say what could be said in ten seconds - " the department is continuing to review how immigration can be structured to suit our needs in varying economic times "

No doubt Senator Goose because of his ignorance will ask tedious questions that will be having Senator Evans wonder whether he should have packed the Crystal Ball or a pillow!

Guest wanderer

Which senator are you referring to?

The one asking the dumb questions Nigel, assume it would have been the guy the camera was on, shorter hair, glasses?

And stillwaiting79

See few posts above and if it's typical of a session or sessions, don't expect anything too enthralling.

Guest Jamie Smith
Mumbles the department white hair guy putting others to sleep will probably take about ten minutes to say what could be said in ten seconds

That would be Andrew Metcalf the CEO of DIAC. He doesn't inspire me and is patently anti-agent, largely I think because of the humiliation he receives from case officers being corrected by good migration agents and the MRt overturning his staff's decisions.

He'd rather shoot the messenger than read the message.

I'm not surpised - case officers are set at ANZSCO 5 in terms of training and abilities and are no match for an expereinced migration agent at ANZSCO 2. For heaven's sake, an air hostess and a sex worker are deemed to have more skills and abilities with their level set at ANZSCO 4.

The earlier part with OMARA showed that the CEO of OMARA is not fully across the job jet, 8-9 months after appointment. The Senate committee did comment on how useless and frustrating it was that the OMARA website has not fully deployed 4 and half months after take over.

It does NOT take 18 weeks to add security to a website.

OMARA staff have increased from 30 positions defined at takeover to 34, with the 4 additions being expensive external consultants. One in IT, one in web design, one in recruitment (what, I thought all the places were filled!) and one in Quality standards.

For someone with Ms Sykes background and years of public service, I am surpised that she needs help with recruitment processes and service quality standards development.

Guest proud2beaussie
The Senate committee did comment on how useless and frustrating it was that the OMARA website has not fully deployed 4 and half months after take over.

So is that why the OMARA website has "This is a temporary website only. The purpose is to provide you with essential information to do your business while we work on the new website. The information on this site is current and being updated regularly." then Jamie?.

Guest Jamie Smith

Yep N'Oz. DIAC screwed up the handover by neglecting to take up MIA offers to communicate with MIA regarding website and other issues. DIAC then said "oh we were'nt allowed access", which is patently untrue.

They have partly climbed down from their ivory castle and are working to update the MIA developed MARA website.

Inept planning, inadequate resourcing and totally unsurprising.

Guest proud2beaussie

Now discussing the numbers of overseas students who come here to study then apply for PR and now on to the MODL review.

Guest Jamie Smith

Says education has driven the migration programme for 5-6 years, rather than immigration needs driving the immigration programme.

Expect more severing of study that links to visas unless at high level eg PhD or in very specific occupations eg electronic engineering, medicine.

Also says students graduating should not automatically expect to get a skilled visa to stay.

Guest Jamie Smith

Pointing the finger at State Govts failure to control shonky colleges.

I would blame DEEWR who delegated the authorities to the States and didn't supervise the States properly

Guest Jamie Smith

Minister says "do we need 10,000 hairdressers graduating next year, no, do we need 10,000 graduates studying metal working and engineering, yes"

Expect delinkage of some courses of study that generate +/- 60 points graduates

Guest Jamie Smith

Review of labour hire agreements to be completed:

Currently finalising templates, Minsiter to get recommendations in coupla weeks, then negotaitions with Labour Hire Companies before end calendar year.

Presently 4 months to 2 years to get a LHA in place.

Guest stillwaiting79
Minister says "do we need 10,000 hairdressers graduating next year, no, do we need 10,000 graduates studying metal working and engineering, yes"

Expect delinkage of some courses of study that generate +/- 60 points graduates

makes sense!!!

Guest wanderer

It's nearly like PIOs ain't it?,

A whole heap of detail that ain't really of too much relevance.

And the big difference is all these Snoozers are costing taxpayers a fortune not to be too productive.

Female Senator asks about a trend just now and then clarifies to application rate but you really do have wonder what they'll do with all this stuff, and now she says she'll put a question on notice.

Now jumping to PI scheme!

Lot of chit chat and jolliness

Bloody hell!, wtf!, waste of time and money,

Time to TO again.

Guest Jamie Smith

Patience, Wanderer, patience.

The cost of having everything on public record is the grandstanding that goes on by the large number of paper shufflers that want to be seen to be doing something important - and public examination is important. It just comes with a whole lot of dross.

I'm getting a lot from watching the Minister, what he chooses to answer or let go, tone of voice, body language, grasp of facts or not etc. Basically, am trying to get inside his head a bit more.

Archived