Aussies calling brits poms

Guest manchesterman

Guest manchesterman

I am in Australia from manchester and I don't understand why Aussies call Me a Pom.

I am told by Aussies that POM means Prisoner of Mother England.

That would mean the first Aussies where the POMs then not us Brits.

Wouldn't that make Aussies POMs not Brits?

I never hear Aussies call other Aussies POMs not even their own forefarthers and people desended from Brits.

Guest fatpom
I am in Australia from manchester and I don't understand why Aussies call Me a Pom.

I never hear Aussies call other Aussies POMs not even their own forefarthers and people desended from Brits.

Worth a try but destined to fail. :smile:

Guest guest30038

If nobody bites would it mean Pis*ed Off Manchesterman? :biglaugh:

kev

I heard POM stood for Prisoner Of her Majesty (same thing really)

I don't take offence & call myself a pom!

But if they get nasty with it my hubby just says on the building site " But you are the original poms & at least I arrived on a plane not a boat" usually shuts em up! :laugh:

Guest proud2beaussie

Despite the fact that I have been here 44 years I still get called a pom by some of my mates,I don't let it bother me.

Over the years there have been many theories about what p.o.m.means but even Wikipedia doesn't have a definitive answer and to tell you the truth I don't think it really matters.

When Brits I know are called pom's they just reply,"yep and I'm proud of it" that generally shut's the aussies up.

I should say though that the aussies generally (I can't say always) don't mean it nastily anyway.

Guest manchesterman

Thanks all Aussies I talk to say POM is Prisoner of Mother England

Brits are not the prisoners its the Aussies who where POMS.

I think they are going through an identity crisis.

Everytime they call us POMs are they really saying we are there forefarthers?

I think English people came up with the word POM as a word to undermine the early aussie convicts.

I think today the Aussies are trying to turn it back on us, but they have not really thought it through.

Guest Emcooper

i think its been used so long and 'passed down' through generations that alot of people dont actually know the meaning. My dad is English (lives in oz) yet calls all the rellies Poms, i think its seen similar to the aussies calling New Zealanders kiwis, and Americans Yanks. I never knew the meaning for a loooonng time but never saw the word and putting someone down, As far as I was aware, I was an aussie and the relatives were poms. My dad on the other hand is apparently a pozzie.lol

Guest madplumber1
Thanks all Aussies I talk to say POM is Prisoner of Mother England

Brits are not the prisoners its the Aussies who where POMS.

I think they are going through an identity crisis.

Everytime they call us POMs are they really saying we are there forefarthers?

I think English people came up with the word POM as a word to undermine the early aussie convicts.

I think today the Aussies are trying to turn it back on us, but they have not really thought it through.

I get called POME all the time....I reply "if it wasn't for us you wouldn't be here"....the best reply i've had is "at least I haven't paid through the nose to get here"...I couldn't answer that one back....lmco

Guest John Locke

In a sense, its like a cat chasing its own tail...I think Australians call us Brits Poms to distance themselves from what is a bit of a humble beginning....ie the British invasion, as it`s refered to, and further ascertain their own identity in the world (and can`t blame them, really)...

I get called POME all the time....I reply "if it wasn't for us you wouldn't be here"....the best reply i've had is "at least I haven't paid through the nose to get here"...I couldn't answer that one back....lmco

Pome :biglaugh:

• 11 months later...
Guest busylass
Despite the fact that I have been here 44 years I still get called a pom by some of my mates,I don't let it bother me.

Over the years there have been many theories about what p.o.m.means but even Wikipedia doesn't have a definitive answer and to tell you the truth I don't think it really matters.

When Brits I know are called pom's they just reply,"yep and I'm proud of it" that generally shut's the aussies up.

I should say though that the aussies generally (I can't say always) don't mean it nastily anyway.

i agree they dont usually mean it offensively and i just retort by saying yeh im proud to be one and it usually shuts em up!! LOL

I am from Nz and it is def NOT an offensive term here - simply slang for british. I think it is different from the word kiwi though - cause kiwi has a whole really positive idenity with it that we are all very proud of - small but hardy types. I would think that the term 'british' has a similar connotation - british conjures up history and well, everything british! POm is just a friendly word - usually if you are not totally sure of where in the otherside of the world someone is from. A bit like aussies and nz get confused, as do americans and canadians.

I love your slant on the word pom though. Never thought about it like that - aussies being poms!!! lol!!!

I did some digging on this a while back and the "Prisoner of Her Majesty" origin is generally debunked. The use of "Pom" started in the late 19th or early 20th century, long after the practice of transporting convicts ceased.

It seems to be commonly accepted now that the phrase actually comes from "pomegranate" but, at that point, there are a couple of theories about the etymology. One is simply that the red, sunburnt cheeks of recent arrivals look like "pomegranates in the sun" and the other is that pomegranate was used as rhyming slang for immigrant. Several sources say that it's probably a combination of the two.

Either way, I've never had the term used against me in an insulting manner. It's more akin to "Aussie" or "Kiwi" than anything derogatory.

Bob

Guest sh7t man no way

to me all aussies are in essence poms,and they should be proud of the fact,and should shout it out from the rooftops---its an exclusive club my aussie friends,and i for one are happy to have you aboard--its all in the name POMS in oz,so if your a member of this site surely your a pom--unless we have a sister site called AUSSIES in oz--perhape the sun/surf gang can look into this:wubclub:

#

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.......i love it

Ps - if this is a genuine post .......take it as a term of endearment .

Its when the aussies dont call you anything .......its time to worry

Drink their beer .......dress like they do .......same humour as them ......fight them if necessary ......then youre in !

Guest busylass
i agree they dont usually mean it offensively and i just retort by saying yeh im proud to be one and it usually shuts em up!! LOL

who gives a ****!! we have history and heritage in excesss of their 200+ YEARS and we are proud of it and deep down they love our history cos theirs is not nearly as long as ours but that is how history evolves with time. As poms we have to educate them!! LOL

• 1 year later...
i am in australia from manchester and i don't understand why aussies call me a pom.

I am told by aussies that pom means prisoner of mother england.

That would mean the first aussies where the poms then not us brits.

Wouldn't that make aussies poms not brits?

I never hear aussies call other aussies poms not even their own forefarthers and people desended from brits.

here here!!!!

Ps - if this is a genuine post .......take it as a term of endearment .

Its when the aussies dont call you anything .......its time to worry

Drink their beer .......dress like they do .......same humour as them ......fight them if necessary ......then youre in !

A up...are you having a giraffe!!!

Seriously this thread dates back to September 2009, somebody feeling a bit bored today ?:wink:
Wasn't me what dragged it up! But I do find it ironic complaining about being called a pom when you're a member of a forum called Poms in Oz.

I was curious and looked up pom on wikipedia where I found this gem: "many British people or those of British origin consider the expression offensive or racist when used by people not of British origin to describe English or British people, yet acceptable when used within that community". Guess that explains it!

Archived