The final step in the journey…

restfamily

Well I have just received the letter in the post for my citizenship ceremony J

Whilst it wasn’t a particularly stressful visa process for me (I had more points that I needed for a independent skills visa) and I managed to sell my house in the UK quite quickly I am amazed that some 5 years have passed since I decided to emigrate. It’s been 2 years and 3 months since I arrived in Australia and after some pretty major life changing events I now call Canberra home. Anyway I just thought I would post and let you all know that some of us get there in the end, even with smiles on our faces.

Good Luck to you all

i take it you have to be here 2 yrs before become a citizen?

Well done by the way, my storey similar sold house at right time, no mad panic on the visa, all went quite smoothly compared with some storeys you hear on here.

Congratulations! Prepare yourself for the traditional vegemite sandwich! (That's what my workmates made me eat when I got "done"!:biglaugh:)

For newcomers it is now 4 years before you can become a citizen btw Andyhus

Do you become a citizen when you have learned to say 'no worries' after every conversation as Brit friend was doing yesterday !:biglaugh:

LOL I think that comes after you have been a probationary citizen for 6 months - along with Strewth! and "She'll be right"

is it a new one or i have just picked up on it but ' too easy' seems to be said alot now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes that is another one, you will pick them up for sure without even realising it. No worries about that! Just like I brought 'bollocks' home from England, still say it too, all these years later. Love it, it says everything: "bollocks". Love it.:hug:

you can become a citizen in 90 days if your a PR, just by joining the ADF, I am thinking about doing it next year when I get my PR

Don't think you're allowed to say 'bollocks' in the ADF are you????:laugh:

Guest Samfire

Whilst it wasn’t a particularly stressful visa process for me (I had more points that I needed for a independent skills visa) and I managed to sell my house in the UK quite quickly I am amazed that some 5 years have passed since I decided to emigrate. It’s been 2 years and 3 months since I arrived in Australia and after some pretty major life changing events I now call Canberra home. Anyway I just thought I would post and let you all know that some of us get there in the end, even with smiles on our faces.

Good Luck to you all

Hearty congratulations to you!!! A lovely up-lifting and positive post too! Can't wait to get there - 8 weeks and counting!:jiggy:

Good Luck to you all

Congratulations and good luck for the future. :cute:

Is that like the TA in UK!!

Nope, it's the real deal. The TA are the Reserves. I think it is 6 months service in the reserves before you can apply for citizenship.

Quote from the ADF site

You are a permanent resident who is not eligible to apply for Australian citizenship but are prepared to sign an undertaking to apply after completing at least 3 months service in the ADF or at least 6 months part-time service in the ADF Reserve. (Permanent residents become eligible to apply for citizenship on completion of 3 months service in the ADF or 6 months part-time service in the ADF Reserve).

A permanent resident who enters the ADF will have their service terminated if they subsequently:

Fail to apply for citizenship when eligible to do so;

Are not offered citizenship; or

Fail to accept citizenship when it is offered.

Sorry OP gone off track here - are you practising with the vegemite and barbequed roo with pavlova to follow?

NP Quoll. I have not eaten vegemite, the thought revolts me, I was the same with Marmite. The kids on the other hand live on the stuff! Not yet tried Roo - cant beleive that! and I am allergic to eggs so there is no pavlova for me :

On the other hand I have sampled a few Aussie men LOL!!

NP Quoll. I have not eaten vegemite, the thought revolts me, I was the same with Marmite. The kids on the other hand live on the stuff! Not yet tried Roo - cant beleive that! and I am allergic to eggs so there is no pavlova for me :

On the other hand I have sampled a few Aussie men LOL!!

And what did you think???? Aussie men taste quite different to Roo !

Better go and wash my mouth out now.....er.....or have another glass of wine...:laugh:

Nope, it's the real deal. The TA are the Reserves. I think it is 6 months service in the reserves before you can apply for citizenship.

Quote from the ADF site

You are a permanent resident who is not eligible to apply for Australian citizenship but are prepared to sign an undertaking to apply after completing at least 3 months service in the ADF or at least 6 months part-time service in the ADF Reserve. (Permanent residents become eligible to apply for citizenship on completion of 3 months service in the ADF or 6 months part-time service in the ADF Reserve).

A permanent resident who enters the ADF will have their service terminated if they subsequently:

Fail to apply for citizenship when eligible to do so;

Are not offered citizenship; or

Fail to accept citizenship when it is offered.

Sorry OP gone off track here - are you practising with the vegemite and barbequed roo with pavlova to follow?

I was told this by a bloke who worked for BAE Systems as I have skills they want but as I am not a citizen I can't get security clearence. Thats when he said if I joined the ADF I could get my citizenship quicker, but he lead me to believe that I could get it in 3 months in the reserves, but I'm just as happy to wait 6 months rather than 3 years. I've done 11 years in the british army, a few days a year in the ADF can't be too bad.

Guest angkorgo99

Good Luck to you all

Congratulations!

By the way, how long until after you received written confirmation that your Citizenship Application was approved did you receive your inviation letter to a ceremony?

I've been waiting over 14 weeks and was just wondering how long it took :-)

Guest angkorgo99
Congratulations and have a great day!

I wish they would hurry up with our ceremony date!

Cal x

I'm in the same situation.

How long ago did you get confirmation of the approval of your Citizenship Application (in other words, how long have you been waiting to confirm a ceremony since receiving approval?)

Archived