The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest guest30038
Ahhhh the old trick of Boby's holding it out at full arms length to make it look bigger:cute:

What is it with you? You can clearly see that my elbow is bent and I'm not holding it at arm's length. Apart from that, the weight is indicated in the press release? You know mate, some things that you post here gets one to thinking that you may have a point, but sometimes, you are your own worst enemy...............

kev

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, one of the ludicrous things regarding joining the Common Market (sorry it's the EEC now) is they bought back all the UK skippers' licences, supposedly to conserve fish stocks, and then let other EEC boats fish in UK waters...............Now the UK imports fish such as haddock and cod from foreign countries..........wouldn't sound so bad if it weren't for the fact that they're importing fish that were caught in UK waters anyway.

kev

went to whitby for a day with the mrs before we came , some of the top boats 3 sisters , shy torque , toiler were doing bay trips , whereas you had to book months before to get a 12 hour gig in , cant find me pic of my 30 lol.

What is it with you? You can clearly see that my elbow is bent and I'm not holding it at arm's length. Apart from that, the weight is indicated in the press release? You know mate, some things that you post here gets one to thinking that you may have a point, but sometimes, you are your own worst enemy...............

kev

He's like sh!t in a field everywhere. What ever subject a thread is about I reckon he googles it and posts some boring fact about it. I don't think he's and adult as some posts are really childish.If he is a grown up I'm scared look at all those posts in such a short amount of time! Thats one bored kid.

Guest Working to fish
Bigger gear, Eddie. You never know what will bite, so be prepared. What line strength do you use? And what strength rod? If you use 30 lb braid and a light, say 10 lb rod, something will give.

I used a 17 lb rod and 20 lb braid, got hammered by a 50 lb plus GT and lost 300 metres of braid...

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi Bob

My set up is

30 lb braid

on to 20lb swivel

on to 80lb mono

Hook size either 4 or 5

with size 4 weight above swivel.

Rod size is 8lb to 10lb

This is a set up a guy down the road from me use,s and the size of snapper he comes home with is unreal.

eddie

If i have been out and not catching much i some times go to a small hook.

Guest Working to fish
Depends how you're losing 'em mate. If you're getting the bangs and you don't feel snagged but are being broken off but don't feel snagged, likely they're a toothie like taylor, or some pelagic like a mackeral. Use a wire trace. If you feel like you're being snagged before they break you off, then your gear isn't strong enough, go heavier on the line. If you're using braid, that rubs off on the coral.............try using a heavier mono leader. I never let 'em run.................unless they're a grey suit (shark). Shark will often hit a bait sideways on...............run with it............then turn it round and swallow it head first......that ways the fins of the bait fold flat. If it's shark you're fishing for, wait til the first run stops, then as it turns the bait round and makes it's second run, strike!

Basic fishing for anything...............and think about this..........it's common sense.........if your line is running..........then the fish has your bait in it's gob...............if the bait is in it's gob, so is the hook. So..............strike as soon as it runs, those fishing programmes are a load of cobblers.

The only exception is big suckers such as Jew and Cod..............they are suckers............they don't grab your bait, but suck in the water surrounding your bait, thereby sucking in the bait. They have big mouths and striking immediately may mean that you whip the bait (and hook) out of their mouth before contact has been made between flesh and hook. These are the fish that you let run with the bait. Once they've sucked it in, they move off..............then and only then, as soon as the run starts, you strike. You will get a touch at your rod tip as they suck it in, then you get the run as they move off. If cod, or jew aren't the likely culprits on the reef, then I would strike at first bite................remember...............for them, to register at your rod tip.............they must have the bait ion their mouth.

Shovellies and other rays are a different matter. Their mouths are underslung. For them to get the bait in their mouth, they must settle over the bait. In positioning their mouth to take the bait, their snout will often touch your line, so you actually get a knock on your rod tip before the bait is in their mouth. Once they have the bait, they move off with it. The moment you strike and they feel anything untowards, they head for the bottom and dig their wings into the sand. This could be what you're experiencing...........a bite...........a run............and then an inabiilty to lift 'em due to the suction they have created between their wings and wet sand.............then you snap off, because you may have 20lb line and a 10lb fish, but you've got that fish buried in 30lbs of wet sand.

To try and illuminate the cause of your break offs............check your line............if it is frayed or feels rough to the touch, then it is likely a shark, shovelly or stingray........because their mouths are underslung, the line often gets caught under their fins or wings and frays..............if it's a clean sharp break with no fraying, then it's likely a toothie such as a pelagic or taylor

I'm guessing from where you are, that it's a shovelly or stingie.............don't be put off with those who think shovellies are vermin..............they and other shark, are the flake that you get from your average chippie..............and despite their reputation and slime.....catfish are good eating too.

kev

kev

Kev

many thanks for a great post ,think i will read this a coulpe of times ,before i ask any more .

cheers

eddie

[ATTACH]1250[/ATTACH]

Bob ,my set up when over a reef .

Thanks for that...Get rid of the swivel...too many knots!!

Get rid of the sinker and float a pillie on a set of gangs(3 x 4/0...or 4 x 3/0) and let the pillie drift to the snapper level. Also, make sure the berley is the same as the bait you use.

My outfit is, mainline of 30 lb braid to 1 metre of 40 lb mono, tied with an albright knot, to the ganged hooks tied with an improved blood knot.

Otherwise, the rig you have is ok for ordinary reefies...BUT, get rid of the swivel.

Cheers, Bobj.

:wink:Hi Bobj

What!

?????????

Swivels???? Lost a 20lb plus (guesstimate) snapper because the swivel gave out.

Lost a 30lb (guesstimate) spanish mackerel because the swivel gave out. Both swivels were rated at 29 kg... No swivels for me from now on.

Cheers, Bobj.

I know about swivels and your right their a weak link. I use a 4 turn water knot instead,

I was only pulling your leg about the jargan who were using as I have not heard of any of it before.

Ment no harm.

Guest Guest9973
went to whitby for a day with the mrs before we came , some of the top boats 3 sisters , shy torque , toiler were doing bay trips , whereas you had to book months before to get a 12 hour gig in , cant find me pic of my 30 lol.

I'll be in Whitby next week - really looking forward to it.

Staying with my bro and family at a mate's apartment.

Might get out between drinks:biggrin::biggrin:

Guest cazbeckham

Hi guys

We took our boat out again today after having the hydraulic steering fixed yesterday.

We had our Daughter and Son in Law with us so as we do on our boat I took some lunch with us.

Now.......don't laugh............ but I cooked some sausages (a Nigella Lawson recipe) in honey/soy sauce and sesame seed oil and put a piece of it on my hook and low and behold there was a Brim on the end of my hook.

Had quite a few bites (no, not of the sausages myself) but I think they were smaller fish nibbling at me sausage.

So throw away your old bait and take my sausage recipe with you. hahahahahhaa

Guest Working to fish
Hi guys

We took our boat out again today after having the hydraulic steering fixed yesterday.

We had our Daughter and Son in Law with us so as we do on our boat I took some lunch with us.

Now.......don't laugh............ but I cooked some sausages (a Nigella Lawson recipe) in honey/soy sauce and sesame seed oil and put a piece of it on my hook and low and behold there was a Brim on the end of my hook.

Had quite a few bites (no, not of the sausages myself) but I think they were smaller fish nibbling at me sausage.

Lol ,have you tried chesse yet ,i got told cheese works ,also chicken.

Guest cazbeckham

We had some chicken drumsticks and I was going to tie a whole one on and see if I caught JAWS hahaha

We used to use Luncheon meat and sweetcorn in the uk in the freshwater rivers so may have to try that one as well

Guest guest30038
Lol ,have you tried chesse yet ,i got told cheese works ,also chicken.

Chicken strips soaked in mozarella overnight, is a top bream bait. Probably works out cheaper than prawns too.

kev

Guest madplumber1
Guy I worked with caught this (yellow fin tunny) when he was in Natal South Africa,

fishing_on_the_south_coast_kwazulu_natal.jpg

Hello girlswood, whats the point in posting crap like you normaly do, gues ya got nowt else to do :jiggy:xxxxxx madplumber

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi guys

The sausages were nicer still warmed up on the BBQ with the bacon and eggs this morning! LOL! (Email me the recipe Mum!)

Hello girlswood, whats the point in posting crap like you normaly do, gues ya got nowt else to do :jiggy:xxxxxx madplumber

you mad plumber you...:laugh:

Guest inlimbo

Who the hell are you?:dull:

Guest Working to fish

Its quite clear guys that this is a good honest thread ,if you have to bitch at each other please do it else where PLEASE ,

just got in from a night out on the water and got myself a shark a good 1m and a haft . Photos to follow .

ps

Aldo , Earls please dont ruin this thread ,your sincerely

eddie.

Guest guest30038
Its quite clear guys that this is a good honest thread ,if you have to bitch at each other please do it else where PLEASE ,

just got in from a night out on the water and got myself a shark a good 1m and a haft . Photos to follow .

ps

eddie.

Eddie, before you post a pic. Tell me that you put it back. There's a size limit of 1.5m and you never know who's watching.

kev

ps

eddie.

sorry son..:hug:

Guest inlimbo

ps

eddie.

I think you will find that the abuse started from a certain "madplumber"

Archived