The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest guest30038
Wind against tide here in Adelaide is uncomfortable as well.

We were in that situation and beam on to a big swell the other day.

It didn't help that my fishing buddy was fishing on the same side as me either.

We fish mainly on the run in tide ,catching lots of Squid and Cuttlefish on the period of slack water. Last time it happened we ended up with 13 squid and 5 ,3kg cuttlefish.The boat was covered in bloody ink due to a newbie pulling em' in!

Make a bloody mess, don''t they................newbies I mean :biglaugh:

kev

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Kev

this is what seabrezze is saying ,,,,,,,,

SUNDAY

7am

ene 9 knots 1.9m swell

10am

ene 9 knots 1.8 swell

1pm

ne 9 knots 1.7 swell

4.30pm

nne 7 knots 1.7 swell

Wave direction

7am south

10am

sse

1pm

sse

what would you do ?

I have just driven past mooloolaba bar 6pm on a saturday night and it is as flat as a pan cake and no wind .

cheers

eddie

Look at what BOM says Eddie and allow another 40% margin of error. That's a big swell for anything under 6 metres and don't foregt, there's always one in the swell that's bigger than the others (about every 12th one if I remember correctly)?..........but it depends on how well you know your rig, your area, and your experience.........I wouldn't go with the kids but I might have a crack on my own............look at it, weigh it up, and if in doubt, there's always another day or the Passage............the forecast can be way out many a day..............but if in doubt, keep well out. A bit of fishing ain't worth risking your life for.

kev

Guest Working to fish
Eddie

We need info on wind for fishing. We went on the Mooloolah River yesterday and did some fishing and just for the record I caught 5 Brim (Bream) and Barry caught 2 but after my third he said he wasnt playing or counting hehehehe

We need another anchor as well as just having the one at the front was swinging the boat in all directions - we just have not got the hang of this yet

we dont count on my boat ,cant see the point of it lol ,bcf go in and have a chat with them ,they are very good .We are looking at saying sod it and giveing mooloolaba a go in the morning about 7 ish if your up for it lol ,must say tho if its not looking good we are not going out.

eddie

Guest cazbeckham

had a long day today lecturing so not out tomorrow on boat but thanks for the offer of tagging along - we are not yet experienced enough to want to wander outside in the big water yet.

Only counted cos the only other fishing we have done is freshwater fishing in the UK and I just liked to wind Barry up hahaha

Guest Working to fish
Look at what BOM says Eddie and allow another 40% margin of error. That's a big swell for anything under 6 metres and don't foregt, there's always one in the swell that's bigger than the others (about every 12th one if I remember correctly)?..........but it depends on how well you know your rig, your area, and your experience.........I wouldn't go with the kids but I might have a crack on my own............look at it, weigh it up, and if in doubt, there's always another day or the Passage............the forecast can be way out many a day..............but if in doubt, keep well out. A bit of fishing ain't worth risking your life for.

kev

Cheers kev

We have decided on giving mooloolaba a go. I really can't make out where this 2metre swell is. I've been past mooloolaba, today, 3 times, and the guy that i'm going with his house overlooks the mooloolaba entrance. After our scare the other week i'm not taking any chances whatsoever and as we're taking my boat i have pre-warned the guys that if i'm not comfortable then we're not going. So i'm right in what you're telling me that if the wave direction, ie. swell direction is in the same direction as the wind this will make easier fishing. Is this purely because there is less chance of white caps forming?

P.S. if i'm not logged on tomorrow night we've sank!

eddie

Guest guest30038
Cheers kev

We have decided on giving mooloolaba a go. I really can't make out where this 2metre swell is. I've been past mooloolaba, today, 3 times, and the guy that i'm going with his house overlooks the mooloolaba entrance. After our scare the other week i'm not taking any chances whatsoever and as we're taking my boat i have pre-warned the guys that if i'm not comfortable then we're not going. So i'm right in what you're telling me that if the wave direction, ie. swell direction is in the same direction as the wind this will make easier fishing. Is this purely because there is less chance of white caps forming?

P.S. if i'm not logged on tomorrow night we've sank!

eddie

White caps ain't the problem Eddie. It's the size of the swell and just as importantly, the gaps between each swell. If the gap is short, you can "hop the waves".......if the gap is long, you can drop off the top of a swell into a trough and ride up the next one.........if the gap is medium, you drop off the top and before you can ride up the next, your bow is still pointing downwards and it breaks over your bow.

Likewise, if you've got a following sea that's fairly lumpy........lumpy enough to stop you travellin' at speed, it can break over your stern (wave moving faster than boat). With experience you will learn to "surf" these waves.........letting them push you forward and gunning the engine before the oncoming wave peaks.......it's hard to explain but what you would learn in a Bar crossing course works also in heavy seas.

White caps mean nothing............take Moreton Bay for example........if the wind is blowing really hard..........in the same direction as the sea but faster, it will cause the waves to white cap......... because the wind is blowing them faster than the tide they curl on themself.....but the wind can sometime blow so as to flatten the water........we're back to that wind against tide again (as oppsed to wind with tide) that makes them white caps stand up. Also, if the wind is blowing off the land and you're looking out to sea, you won't see any white caps 'cause you're looking at the back of the waves and can't see the curl. This for me is the most dangerous because you go out thinking the sea is flat, you have a following sea (due to the wind helping to push you out) that gives you a decent ride, and then you turn round to come home and see a horrendous journey back because you are facing the wind and the white caps.

kev

Guest Guest9973
Make a bloody mess, don''t they................newbies I mean :biglaugh:

kev

You are not kidding - bloody Victorian visitor - just showing some SA hospitality and he goes and inks the entire tub!

I'd just give "Jean Genie" a full clean up the day before.

Showed the pi**ock how to "ink" before bringing in!

I have a lovely ink stripe down the back of my favourite fishing shirt as well!!!:eek:

Hope ya manage to get out.

Does the wind direction make a difference where you are??

It does here - can be the same speed but if it comes from one direction folk won't go out but same speed / different direction everyone is happy.

So much to learn yet!

G'day mate, there is a lot of talk about wind direction; it is one of the biggest conundrums in fishing.

On the Qld east coast, the general idea is that the SE trades offer smaller catches. North winds in summer bring on the mack attack and the west winds virtually kill off any decent fishing.

A general rule of thumb is "no run-no fun" meaning the bigger tides produce better results, with bottom and top of the tides being more productive.

On a personal basis, I prefer an hour either side of the bottom of a morning tide, with a north wind just ruffling the surface.

Moon phases really do influence the fishing, with the bigger tides around the new and full moon periods.

Then again, just to stuff it all up, the fish don't read the tide charts, nor the weather forecasts...Bugga!!:nah::nah:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest guest30038

A general rule of thumb is "no run-no fun" meaning the bigger tides produce better results, with bottom and top of the tides being more productive.

On a personal basis, I prefer an hour either side of the bottom of a morning tide, with a north wind just ruffling the surface.

:nah::nah:

Cheers, Bobj.

Agreed, I have a couple of spots in the Bay though that are hard to fish at full run and you fail to catch anything. The fish shut down as it runs so hard#. As Bob says, the slowing tide just before and after slack are the most productive and in these particular spots, just as you reach high or low, with no run at all, they really go off..........3 rods will get hit all at the same time and if the kids are fishing with a rod each as well, it becomes bloody mayhem! You have to be quick getting the fish in 'cause this hot time lasts at the most, 30 minutes and then you're back to nodding off or moving on to find some more action. If you get a shark or a real biggie at this time, it pisses you off 'cause by the time you've played 'em out, the action will have shut down again.

kev

Guest Working to fish
White caps ain't the problem Eddie. It's the size of the swell and just as importantly, the gaps between each swell. If the gap is short, you can "hop the waves".......if the gap is long, you can drop off the top of a swell into a trough and ride up the next one.........if the gap is medium, you drop off the top and before you can ride up the next, your bow is still pointing downwards and it breaks over your bow.

Likewise, if you've got a following sea that's fairly lumpy........lumpy enough to stop you travellin' at speed, it can break over your stern (wave moving faster than boat). With experience you will learn to "surf" these waves.........letting them push you forward and gunning the engine before the oncoming wave peaks.......it's hard to explain but what you would learn in a Bar crossing course works also in heavy seas.

White caps mean nothing............take Moreton Bay for example........if the wind is blowing really hard..........in the same direction as the sea but faster, it will cause the waves to white cap......... because the wind is blowing them faster than the tide they curl on themself.....but the wind can sometime blow so as to flatten the water........we're back to that wind against tide again (as oppsed to wind with tide) that makes them white caps stand up. Also, if the wind is blowing off the land and you're looking out to sea, you won't see any white caps 'cause you're looking at the back of the waves and can't see the curl. This for me is the most dangerous because you go out thinking the sea is flat, you have a following sea (due to the wind helping to push you out) that gives you a decent ride, and then you turn round to come home and see a horrendous journey back because you are facing the wind and the white caps.

kev

Many thanks for your post Kev

when out today with this post in my mind and thanks as your post made alot of sense when out there ,we were out on a incomeing tide with a wind n/ne comeing from the side ,which made for many white caps and a bumpy ride.The swell was on the big side ,but felt ok .

Thanks for the info and helped alot .

eddie

Guest guest30038
Many thanks for your post Kev

when out today with this post in my mind and thanks as your post made alot of sense when out there ,we were out on a incomeing tide with a wind n/ne comeing from the side ,which made for many white caps and a bumpy ride.The swell was on the big side ,but felt ok .

Thanks for the info and helped alot .

eddie

The other thing Eddie to bear in mind, I don't know what is was like on the water in the bay today, but here at home, there hasn't been a breath of wind..............the weather can be so localised that sometimes, you have to bite the bullet on an iffy forecast, get out of bed and simply go and look at the water............a bloody nuisance if you can't get out and have to come back home, but I've missed many a days fishing stayin' at home because of the forecast and then finding that the sea was as flat as.

kev

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi Eddie we had a great day out today, Pearl Perch for tea, yum. I hate that mate of yours, the same rig, the same bait & all fishing in the same place yet he is eating a different type of fish every night for a week!!! it was wicked to see turtles & a whale. The picture of the whale is really dodgy, but I put it on anyway. Let me know if you can make it out, also you & your Red Emperor.

Guest cazbeckham

Eddie / Pete

Whereabouts did you go yesterday and what was the wind speed and height of waves and how far out did you go.

Can we call you later for a chat please

Pete - can you private email me your tel number so we can call you as well please

Ta

Caz

Guest Working to fish
Eddie / Pete

Whereabouts did you go yesterday and what was the wind speed and height of waves and how far out did you go.

Can we call you later for a chat please

Pete - can you private email me your tel number so we can call you as well please

Ta

Caz

Hi Caz

we were about 7k off land from pointcart wright ,the waves were not big ,but it was the swell that was big (ish) .Wind was about 10 knots so not to bad at all ,but the swell was a good 2m at times (most of the time) .It did come down abit later in the day. Tbo if it was my 1st time out i would have not liked it at all .

eddie

Seeing the whale was great :biggrin:

Guest cazbeckham

Hiya

We went fishing on the Maroochy River last Wednesday and I caught a flathead on prawn - would have been worth eating except neither me nor Barry know how to get a fish ready for eating so we chucked it back.

I can now bait up my own hook which I never did in UK. EXCEPT when we bought pilchards for bait and Barry cut them in half I could only put the end on with the tail as the other end had eyes looking at me and couldnt do that end hahahahaha

Well we have been out on the boat 3 times now since we got it and even the first time we thought the steering was a bit sloppy but put it down to it being a boat and us not driving a car with such positive steering but low and behold we have a leak on the hydraulic steering and the oil is leaking out like a good 'un so by Monday lunchtime we should know where we are going to take it to get it repaired.

We don't fancy driving it back to the Gold Coast where we bought it so hopefully a local yamaha engine dealer with fix it and then bill the place we bought the boat, will keep you informed.

Our Daughter and SIL are coming up on Wednesday evening for a couple of nights so we hope it is fixed to be able to go out with them on Thursday down the passage.

Guest JoanneHattersley

Our Daughter and SIL are coming up on Wednesday evening for a couple of nights so we hope it is fixed to be able to go out with them on Thursday down the passage

Better be fixed else I`ll be sitting in your bath or pool singing " I am sailing!!!"

Guest cazbeckham

u r very welcome to sit in the pool while the temp is 16 degrees hahahahah so have your cossie on ready for when Dad pushes you in pool hahhaha

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi can anyone help I went fishing today off Mooloolaba & my mate caught this (see picture below) when I first saw it & its whiskers I thought it was some kind of catfish,. Then when we got it out of the water & saw its teeth we decided it was some kind of Shark it was pretty angry & I am sure it was trying to bite me. Any ideas anybody??

Guest cazbeckham

looks a bit rusty to me, like it's been in the water a long time hehehehe sorry no idea what it is - did you keep it to eat later?

Our boat has to be repaired on Wednesday as we have no steering so that's not good when on the river is it?

Guest motlyman

Hi all,

Just wondering where you all launch your boats from in the areas about half way between coolangatta and benleigh?

Cant find any on google earth.

Do you go from the river and wind your way to the sea?

Also, how wide is Moreton bay?

Colin

Guest guest30038
Hi all,

Just wondering where you all launch your boats from in the areas about half way between coolangatta and benleigh?

Cant find any on google earth.

Do you go from the river and wind your way to the sea?

Also, how wide is Moreton bay?

Colin

Hi Colin,

tell me where you're thinking of heading, and where from (roughly). There's tons of ramps in the Brizzy area and it all depends where you launch from as to how wide the bay is.

kev

Archived