The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest motlyman

Hi Kev,

Just seen where you are. Quite a bit north of where we are thinking.

At this moment in time unsure where we're heading but i would say probably in the Robina area! But could be either side of there.

Bit spoilt were we are now in Adelaide. Our local ramp has pontoons, Plenty of parking, washdown areas, a shop, toilets,cafe.

Are there many like that there?

Colin

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30038
Hi Kev,

Just seen where you are. Quite a bit north of where we are thinking.

At this moment in time unsure where we're heading but i would say probably in the Robina area! But could be either side of there.

Bit spoilt were we are now in Adelaide. Our local ramp has pontoons, Plenty of parking, washdown areas, a shop, toilets,cafe.

Are there many like that there?

Colin

Yeah plenty Colin You can launch in every River (several ramps at each) down there, also the Broadwater and Jumpinpin........some with pontoons. If you end up at the Gold Coast it's a mecca for boating and fishing with access to offshore via the Gold Coast Seaway. I drive down regularly from brizzy...........motor out in the boat, and we camp on an Island at Jumpinpin.

kev

Guest motlyman

Thats good news mate.

We have a 16 ft cuddy and have'nt done a beach launch yet so was panicking a bit lol.

I guess the fishing is pretty good there then? What are the prize catches?

Here its Snapper, KG whiting, Flatties.

Colin

Guest Pete and Lou

Thanks for the info on the shark, I will watch out for them in future. No Caz we didn't eat it!! Hope your boat is repaired & ship shape. See you soon. Pete.

Guest Working to fish
Hi can anyone help I went fishing today off Mooloolaba & my mate caught this (see picture below) when I first saw it & its whiskers I thought it was some kind of catfish,. Then when we got it out of the water & saw its teeth we decided it was some kind of Shark it was pretty angry & I am sure it was trying to bite me. Any ideas anybody??

Nice fish Pete ,bet it was fun getting that in the boat ,shame i was at that place called work lmao.

eddie

Guest cazbeckham

taking boat to Nerangba to a marina repair place who is going to fix the steering leak - worst case scenario should take an hour while we wait.

Our Daughter and Son in Law are with us tomorrow so we are going out on the Maroochy River on Thursday - first time out for them so may even do a bit of fishing as well. But I have lamb steaks in the fridge for dinner................ you did't think i was going to catch a whopper did you and get Barry to clean and fillet it - nah didn't think so.

Are we still all go for Sat 29th August (Barry's 60th Birthday treat by going to Bribie for a BBQ)

Careful what you write on here as he has registered and reads all your threads now hahahah

Guest Working to fish

Bad news about the boat Caz ,funny thing tho as we know another coulpe who got a new boat and there steering went on there 1st time out .Glad to here you are getting it sorted.

Oh and by the way ,theres no need to keep scores when out on a boat ,i heard it puts the fish off.

eddie

Guest guest30038
Thats good news mate.

We have a 16 ft cuddy and have'nt done a beach launch yet so was panicking a bit lol.

I guess the fishing is pretty good there then? What are the prize catches?

Here its Snapper, KG whiting, Flatties.

Colin

Pelagics, snapper, jew, pearl perch, cobia, offshore. Inshore it's flathead, bream, whiting (lot smaller than the KG's), various cods, and the dreaded catfish, shark, and stingies. Mangrove Jack are the elusive prize catch in the rivers and some cracking threadfin salmon have shown up in the last couple of years in the Brizzy River. (global warming I reckon).

Cod from the mouth of the Brizzy river

codnkids.jpg?t=1249377690

Mangrove Jack from the Tweed.......trust the missus to catch a cracker

52cmjack.jpg?t=1249377784

kev

Guest Working to fish
An extra large stingy............nearly lost me wedding tackle holding this one :biglaugh:

bigstingy.jpg?t=1249377875

kev

Very nice Mate ,i caught one about the same size under Birbie bridge ,but cut the line as there was no way i was getting it on the boat.

eddie

Guest Working to fish

Kev...

Here is a question for you .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Letting a fish run.

This is really doing my head in, when fishing on a reef, for arguments sake lets say 20 metres of water you get a big bang, you know you've got a decent fish on, how are you supposed to let the fish run without the fish diving straight for the reef thus tailing you straight away.

Lately i have been getting some nice big bangs on the rod but snapping off and this is doing my head in.

Watched a fishing programme on saturday afternoon, i think the guys were fishing some reef somewhere in Perth and i was quite amazed how long they were letting the fish run before they tightened up their lines. So the question is, if there is indeed an answer to this, how do you stop the fish running for the reef while letting it run?

eddie

Bigger gear, Eddie. You never know what will bite, so be prepared. What line strength do you use? And what strength rod? If you use 30 lb braid and a light, say 10 lb rod, something will give.

I used a 17 lb rod and 20 lb braid, got hammered by a 50 lb plus GT and lost 300 metres of braid...

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi Eddie nice to see you back on line, Is your computer fixed or has your daughter let you have a go on hers? Hopefully we will get out for a fish this weekend.

Guest Pete and Lou

Eddie here is another pic from monday. Think its some sort of cod. Looks a bit pathetic after seeing Kev's pics but got to start somewhere!

Guest guest30038
Eddie here is another pic from monday. Think its some sort of cod. Looks a bit pathetic after seeing Kev's pics but got to start somewhere!

That's a Maori Cod mate. Mines an estuary cod.

kev

Guest guest30038
Kev...

Here is a question for you .,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Letting a fish run.

This is really doing my head in, when fishing on a reef, for arguments sake lets say 20 metres of water you get a big bang, you know you've got a decent fish on, how are you supposed to let the fish run without the fish diving straight for the reef thus tailing you straight away.

Lately i have been getting some nice big bangs on the rod but snapping off and this is doing my head in.

Watched a fishing programme on saturday afternoon, i think the guys were fishing some reef somewhere in Perth and i was quite amazed how long they were letting the fish run before they tightened up their lines. So the question is, if there is indeed an answer to this, how do you stop the fish running for the reef while letting it run?

eddie

Depends how you're losing 'em mate. If you're getting the bangs and you don't feel snagged but are being broken off but don't feel snagged, likely they're a toothie like taylor, or some pelagic like a mackeral. Use a wire trace. If you feel like you're being snagged before they break you off, then your gear isn't strong enough, go heavier on the line. If you're using braid, that rubs off on the coral.............try using a heavier mono leader. I never let 'em run.................unless they're a grey suit (shark). Shark will often hit a bait sideways on...............run with it............then turn it round and swallow it head first......that ways the fins of the bait fold flat. If it's shark you're fishing for, wait til the first run stops, then as it turns the bait round and makes it's second run, strike!

Basic fishing for anything...............and think about this..........it's common sense.........if your line is running..........then the fish has your bait in it's gob...............if the bait is in it's gob, so is the hook. So..............strike as soon as it runs, those fishing programmes are a load of cobblers.

The only exception is big suckers such as Jew and Cod..............they are suckers............they don't grab your bait, but suck in the water surrounding your bait, thereby sucking in the bait. They have big mouths and striking immediately may mean that you whip the bait (and hook) out of their mouth before contact has been made between flesh and hook. These are the fish that you let run with the bait. Once they've sucked it in, they move off..............then and only then, as soon as the run starts, you strike. You will get a touch at your rod tip as they suck it in, then you get the run as they move off. If cod, or jew aren't the likely culprits on the reef, then I would strike at first bite................remember...............for them, to register at your rod tip.............they must have the bait ion their mouth.

Shovellies and other rays are a different matter. Their mouths are underslung. For them to get the bait in their mouth, they must settle over the bait. In positioning their mouth to take the bait, their snout will often touch your line, so you actually get a knock on your rod tip before the bait is in their mouth. Once they have the bait, they move off with it. The moment you strike and they feel anything untowards, they head for the bottom and dig their wings into the sand. This could be what you're experiencing...........a bite...........a run............and then an inabiilty to lift 'em due to the suction they have created between their wings and wet sand.............then you snap off, because you may have 20lb line and a 10lb fish, but you've got that fish buried in 30lbs of wet sand.

To try and illuminate the cause of your break offs............check your line............if it is frayed or feels rough to the touch, then it is likely a shark, shovelly or stingray........because their mouths are underslung, the line often gets caught under their fins or wings and frays..............if it's a clean sharp break with no fraying, then it's likely a toothie such as a pelagic or taylor

I'm guessing from where you are, that it's a shovelly or stingie.............don't be put off with those who think shovellies are vermin..............they and other shark, are the flake that you get from your average chippie..............and despite their reputation and slime.....catfish are good eating too.

kev

kev

Guest Guest9973

Mangrove Jack from the Tweed.......trust the missus to catch a cracker

52cmjack.jpg?t=1249377784

kev

Like the T Shirt - just says Feral!!!!:cute:

No offence guys - just love that shirt - what I can see of it .

Hiya Colin BTW!

Guest guest30038
Hopin for some North sea cod in a few days mates takin on his boat at whitby , bet we get blown off

mally

Like this ......................jeeeeeeeeeez I was good lucking bugger whe I was younger:jiggy:

coda.jpg?t=1249393789

kev

Guest Guest9973
Like this ......................jeeeeeeeeeez I was good lucking bugger whe I was younger:jiggy:

coda.jpg?t=1249393789

kev

My Cod - you were in the right Plaice >

Don't go Carping on about it or the joke will Flounder.

<Tyke get's his hat and goes.>

Guest inlimbo
Like this ......................jeeeeeeeeeez I was good lucking bugger whe I was younger

coda.jpg?t=1249393789

kev

Ahhhh the old trick of Boby's holding it out at full arms length to make it look bigger:cute:

Guest guest30038
Could have kept your gob shut for the picture lol , had some of them on the buoys at whitby, think they are extinct now ,

Yep, one of the ludicrous things regarding joining the Common Market (sorry it's the EEC now) is they bought back all the UK skippers' licences, supposedly to conserve fish stocks, and then let other EEC boats fish in UK waters...............Now the UK imports fish such as haddock and cod from foreign countries..........wouldn't sound so bad if it weren't for the fact that they're importing fish that were caught in UK waters anyway.

kev

Archived