The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1192[/ATTACH]

Ok so it was not the biggest fish in the sea but it was very nice to eat.

eddie:embarrassed:

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Working to fish

Towing your boat.

I heard that when you are towing your boat its not a great idear to have to much stuff in the boat ,is this true.

Was thinking of loading up the boat with camping gear and driveing a 100 ks or so .

Any one done this ?

eddie:idea:

Towing your boat.

I heard that when you are towing your boat its not a great idear to have to much stuff in the boat ,is this true.

Was thinking of loading up the boat with camping gear and driveing a 100 ks or so .

Any one done this ?

Here you go, mate.

HowStuffWorks "Boat Towing Weight Distribution"

I used to tow my 4.3 m tinny from northern NSW to Mackay (1400 km) twice a year and never had any problems because the gross weight of traier/boat/fuel etc. was within the guidelines for the towing vehicle.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hi all

35 degrees in our part of the uk (yes 35) going to be like it the rest of the week (yes rest of the week) bet you lot stuck in oz are jealous. No point fishing in this heat during the day bigger fish don't want to know. Watched dozons of big carp (30lb plus) spawning in the shallows today. Sat there for over an hour watching them. Will chase the bream/tench at weekend at first light because when the sun hits the water they just switch off.

Tight lines Lance

Hi all

35 degrees in our part of the uk (yes 35) going to be like it the rest of the week (yes rest of the week) bet you lot stuck in oz are jealous. No point fishing in this heat during the day bigger fish don't want to know. Watched dozons of big carp (30lb plus) spawning in the shallows today. Sat there for over an hour watching them. Will chase the bream/tench at weekend at first light because when the sun hits the water they just switch off.

Tight lines Lance

Odd innit?? Hotter weather in northern Australia brings on the bigger fish: barra to 60 lbs, mackerel to 95 lbs and, in SE Australia, in freshwater, murray cod to 80 lbs and yellowbelly to 25 lbs. :hug:

Cheers, Bobj.

THE ALL NEW FISHING THREAD.

Ok so not for every one ,i know there are loads of sites to look on ,but may be a thread for the fishing could go down well.

News.

weather.

photos.

Any thing fishing.

Could be a good thread for all the guys still in the uk to.

Rules.

1. About fishing ,boating only.

2. No trolls.

easy.

eddie:jimlad:

I agree with everything you say......

L.L.

PS

Anybody near to The Entrance needing extra ballast to kept the boat steady.........:daydreaming:

Guest Working to fish

Tanglooma (spelling?)

Moreton island

Any boating guys out there ,been there.

If i were to set off from Bribie island how long to get there roughly .

And is it a good day out.

cheers

Guest Aldo
[ATTACH]1194[/ATTACH]

Will try again

eddie

Nice one.

Not for the baby fish but for bringing your kid up right :notworthy:

(England Shirt)

Guest guest30038
Tanglooma (spelling?)

Moreton island

Any boating guys out there ,been there.

If i were to set off from Bribie island how long to get there roughly .

And is it a good day out.

cheers

eddie

Eddie, It can be rough going even on a flat day. There's lots of shallows and if the wind is against tide, the swell really stands up. I go from Shorncliffe or Nudgee in a straight line which negates the shallowest bits. That said, pick your days and you'll be fine from Bribie.

You can overnight anchored behind the wrecks...............it's so clear there (on good days) that you can see the bottom in 20ft of water. Further North is Curtin artificial reef.......... some monsters in there but they take some getting up as they run for the wrecks as soon as you hook 'em.

Curtin reef:

curtain.jpg?t=1246576068

Tangalooma:

tanga3.jpg?t=1246576511

Guest Working to fish

Thanks very much for that Kev ,could you tell us of weather when you go across , ie ,sea swell ,knots ect ,and what would you say is the best conditions

eddie

cheers

Guest guest30038
Thanks very much for that Kev ,could you tell us of weather when you go across , ie ,sea swell ,knots ect ,and what would you say is the best conditions

eddie

cheers

If you want the family to enjoy it mate, it's got to be under 10knotts..........10-15 is passable but not pleasant in a tinny............glass boats are a different kettle of fish. It comes from all angles............sweeping around the sand banks and never seems to flow in the same direction as you travel across................it's not called the "washing machine" for nothing.

There's always a stiff breeze lifts up about mid-day in summer so a lot shelter overnight at tangers and make the trip back in the morning before the wind gets up. Winter time it is a lot calmer, just pick your days. The best gauge is if it is forecasting 5-10 or less for 2 or more consecutive days............then there is less likelihood of it blowing early on the same day that you go eg if you go say on a saturday with a forecast of 5 - 10 and it's forecasting 10-15 on the Sunday, then you are buggered if that 10-15 comes in earlier..........if the wind is forecasting to lift on the Monday, then there's a better chance of you having it good early sunday.

kev

Guest Working to fish

Help needed please.

Mojiko ,gfw 3000

3 ball bearings

gear ratio 4.4:1

reel.

Just got this afternoon this new reel ,it is an over head (my 1st ever )

and the thing is i have set it up ,but i can still pull line from the reel with the drag on full lock ,cant see this should be the case ?

Hopeing to fish on sunday with it ,but cant see how cos if i catch a fish ,there would be no way of stopping it ,apart from my thumb on the line :shocked:. Have i got a duff reel ? ,should i go back to shop ,just dont want to look silly so thought i would ask any one who has used an over head reel .

many thanks

eddie:hug:

Guest guest30038
Help needed please.

Mojiko ,gfw 3000

3 ball bearings

gear ratio 4.4:1

reel.

Just got this afternoon this new reel ,it is an over head (my 1st ever )

and the thing is i have set it up ,but i can still pull line from the reel with the drag on full lock ,cant see this should be the case ?

Hopeing to fish on sunday with it ,but cant see how cos if i catch a fish ,there would be no way of stopping it ,apart from my thumb on the line :shocked:. Have i got a duff reel ? ,should i go back to shop ,just dont want to look silly so thought i would ask any one who has used an over head reel .

many thanks

eddie:hug:

Sounds like the drag washers are duff..............That mojiko stuff from anaconda has a bad press Eddie........Go Shimano

kev

Guest Working to fish
Sounds like the drag washers are duff..............That mojiko stuff from anaconda has a bad press Eddie........Go Shimano

kev

Thanks for that Kev ,it was only 100 bucks for rod and reel so i think i may be going back to the shop in the morning .

cheers

eddie

Get what you pay for :yes:

Guest Working to fish

Mooloolaba on sunday.

Happy to be here , God i love my life, how i love life.

Mm can you tell where this thread is going:shocked:?

Went out on sunday with another member of pio , will not say his name (pete7lou)opps.

Got to the boat ramp and all was good, we meet up with another mate and set off in (petes) new boat . We got to the entrance of the bar at mooloolaba and there were a few boats hanging around as the swell was big, i mean bloody big. It was 3 to 4 metres, barrelling at the entrance of the bar. I said "(pete) dont do it mate. Lets forget it!" ,my other mate was saying no worries guys"go for it." We sat there for around 20 minutes at the entrance before (pete) went for it like a bloody bat out of hell, while at the time there was a good 4 metre wave not to far away. I was screaming "pete,pete,pete turn into that forking wave (dont let it hit us side on)." He then hit this wave at about 100mph and the next and the next:shocked:. When we had got out of danger it was decided that the best thing we could do was get our arses home . Then it was up to me to get the boat back in (my throat was as dry as a desert). As we got back, thank God i am here typing this.

A big lesson has been learnt even if its 5 to 10 knots don't forget to look at the swell charts.

No it was not fun.

eddie

Guest inlimbo

Hi guys, do you all eat the fish you catch? because I cannot understand these blockes back here in the UK who fish ponds for hours and walk away with all the fish back in the pond, what the hell is that all about?

Guest Working to fish

[ATTACH]1211[/ATTACH]

Got my mack attack ,not the biggest ,but was good fun.

This was the the other week fishing a coulpe of miles out.

Guest Working to fish
Hi guys, do you all eat the fish you catch? because I cannot understand these blockes back here in the UK who fish ponds for hours and walk away with all the fish back in the pond, what the hell is that all about?

If it is of a good size ,then yes why not eat it.

But saying that i have no problem fishing and putting them all back.

eddie

Guest Pete and Lou
Mooloolaba on sunday.

Mm can you tell where this thread is going?

Went out on sunday with another member of pio , will not say his name (pete7lou)opps.

Got to the boat ramp and all was good, we meet up with another mate and set off in (petes) new boat . We got to the entrance of the bar at mooloolaba and there were a few boats hanging around as the swell was big, i mean bloody big. It was 3 to 4 metres, barrelling at the entrance of the bar. I said "(pete) dont do it mate. Lets forget it!" ,my other mate was saying no worries guys"go for it." We sat there for around 20 minutes at the entrance before (pete) went for it like a bloody bat out of hell, while at the time there was a good 4 metre wave not to far away. I was screaming "pete,pete,pete turn into that forking wave (dont let it hit us side on)." He then hit this wave at about 100mph and the next and the next. When we had got out of danger it was decided that the best thing we could do was get our arses home . Then it was up to me to get the boat back in (my throat was as dry as a desert). As we got back, thank God i am here typing this.

A big lesson has been learnt even if its 5 to 10 knots don't forget to look at the swell charts.

No it was not fun.

eddie

I'm still having those "am I still alive" feelings!

Do they call this a baptism of fire? I have to admit I was dying to give my new boat a run. I sat at the entrance of the bar with Eddie in one ear saying "don't do it" and Sean in the other ear saying "just look for a gap and go for it"! It was all a bit of a blur. I thought as fast as the boat could go was best, but the high pitched screaming

:arghh:coming from Eddie & Sean behind me made me think that wasn't the correct thing to do. There were dozens of people on the side of the jetty who must have been doubled up with laughter. Once we'd crossed the bar the swell was huge and we were never out of danger and was now faced with the prospect of having to get back in! I put on my life jacket and even examined the EPIRB to see how to activate it!!! Thanks Eddie for getting us back in.:notworthy: The bloke in the kayak who was sat in the entrance who got a piece of your mind won't forget about us in a hurry. Once we were back in the channel and anchored up I watched Eddie drink a can of XXXX in 5 seconds flat! Back at the boat ramp I tried to swap phone numbers with Sean and suggested that we went fishing again sometime, but he looked all awkward and said he didn't know his own phone number.....strange!!! A good lesson learnt, boating can only get better from here on in!

Guest guest30038

I put on my life jacket

I'm guessing that your boat is bigger, but a life jacket is compulsory when crossing a bar, if your rig is less than 4.8M.

kev

Mooloolaba on sunday.

Mm can you tell where this thread is going:shocked:?

Got to the boat ramp and all was good, we meet up with another mate and set off in (petes) new boat . We got to the entrance of the bar at mooloolaba and there were a few boats hanging around as the swell was big, i mean bloody big. It was 3 to 4 metres, barrelling at the entrance of the bar. I said "(pete) dont do it mate. Lets forget it!" ,my other mate was saying no worries guys"go for it." We sat there for around 20 minutes at the entrance before (pete) went for it like a bloody bat out of hell, while at the time there was a good 4 metre wave not to far away. I was screaming "pete,pete,pete turn into that forking wave (dont let it hit us side on)." He then hit this wave at about 100mph and the next and the next:shocked:. When we had got out of danger it was decided that the best thing we could do was get our arses home . Then it was up to me to get the boat back in (my throat was as dry as a desert). As we got back, thank God i am here typing this.

No it was not fun.

eddie

You learn the hard way, mate.

An incident several years ago in northern NSW where a charter boat with 11 on board got smacked on the Yamba bar. A 10 yers old boy drowned. We were fishing off Wooli at the time and the call came over the radios to be on the lookout for a body. Very saddening.

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived