The All New Fishing Thread

Guest Working to fish

Caught this fish today in the Mooloolaba River -any idea what it is please

Caz

G'day mate, it's an estuary cod or, a gold spot cod, (epinephelus taurvina) depending what the local nomeclature is. Average chewing and quite greasy.

I prefer to release all goldspots as there are better fish to eat.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chears Bobj......If/when we get to Qld I will swot up. Got some photo's of a couple of fish that need identifying,which I caught when I was there in 07. Will see if I can remember how to post them.

Guest Working to fish

Sunny coast today.

Weather ,not great by a long way.

Was around ,1.3 swell ,1.3-1.4 knots.

Headed out with Pete around 2 ish ,we headed for murthys reef around 8.5k out .The swell was not a lot of fun ,sat in around 26-28m of water ,After some time we head for the outer gearing ,around 9.5k out .The swell was getting up big time ,we sat there and burleyed the hell out of the place .While sat there we had a great show going on behind us ,2 big whales jumping all over the place.

Then Bang ,Pete was on ,line running big time ,after about 10 minutes ,in came a very nice 60 cm plus Snapper !.Then again bang number 2 for Pete again another 60cm plus .Then Bang for me ,my line keep going and going ,could not stop it ,after 10 minutes ,Snap ,lost it. (bummer).

By this time the wind and swell was getting silly ,so on the full of dark we had to leave to head home .Would like to say to Pete ,top marks for getting us home ,9.5 k of (shi"%) . The trip back was one we would like to for get,but pete done us good.Gutted that we had to leave ,but staying out was getting silly with no moon ,to see the breaking waves coming on to us.

Come on Pete ,tell your story

Guest cazbeckham

Eddie/Pete

You are such brave boys. We only just get out of the harbour and when we anchor up to fish I start to feel rough, will I ever get my sea legs........................

Come on Pete let's hear your story

Caz

Guest Pete and Lou

A Successfull night fishing !! Finaly some good snapper. The fathers day present of a burley pot & some super fish attracting oil helped I think! Added to this a jumping whale show & a 10k hair raising journey back in the pitch black all added to the excitement. Eddie you are invited round for tea tomorrow night as you are home alone.......think it might be snapper!!!

Had a nice session off the rocks yesterday, 6am to 10am. Great conditions, the seas were flat, temps were for 17C to 29C and a rising tide. Hooked into a turtle, nearly spooled me. Managed to turn her head and retrieved 150 metres of line before the knot broke at the leader.

Rigged up a second set of gangs and cast out a pillie. 5 minutes later, a hit and landed a 57 cm schoolie mack. Another pillie and another schoolie.

THEROCKS186.jpg

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest cazbeckham

Pete

Nice Fish.............

Eddie you didn't have your pic taken with those fish you nicked off Pete to try and say that they were yours did you??????

Caz

Guest Working to fish
Pete

Nice Fish.............

Eddie you didn't have your pic taken with those fish you nicked off Pete to try and say that they were yours did you??????

Caz

Caz ,would i do such a thing (this is the only site i go on tbo):eek::goofy:

Guest cazbeckham

Only site you go on - pull the other leg, I bet you are surfing as I type LOL!

How are you coping without Tina. Don't forget you are welcome to us for tea any evening just need some notice.

We are going out in the passage tomorrow and across to Bribie for our lunch so will be thinking of you working LOL!!!

Caz x

A memo to any of those wanting to fish in Qld: there are 2x5 day closures for coral reef fin fish, north of Waddy Point, Fraser Island to the tip of Cape York. The dates are 5.10.09 to 9.10.09 and 3.11.09 to 7.11.09. These dates coincide with the dark of the moon when the reef fin fish spawn.

Fines up to $75,000 apply.

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest Working to fish

sunny coast today .

got out on the water around 4.45 am .Never seen the sea so flat it was like a pond ,swell was said to be 1.2 with 6 knots (it was flat as a pan cake).Report said by 8.30 am sea swell would be around 1.6-1.7 .

They got that right as it got up while we were out ,around 12 seconds between swell so easy going .

The sea was full of whales ,never seen so many ,they were all over the palce ,also the odd dolphin and turtle. As for the fishing ,not alot going on (was there for sunrise but very slow ).

Got a nice sweat lip ,which is good, cooking in the oven as i type.

Still not alot of fish about ,but beats driveing to work .:yes:

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi fellow fisho's I caught this the other night & chucked it back. I was told it is a Mac Tuner & they are really bad eating. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?? Got 2 nice Snapper as well (sorry Eddie had to put that in).

P.S. Thanks Caz & Barry for the fish, the kids had Flathead fish fingers the other night.

Guest cazbeckham

Hi Pete

We was down at the ramp at Mooloolaba one day and a guy was topping and tailing a fish that looked like a tuna, quite chunky and big and he said it was a Mac Tuna - said it was delicious, he said he would fillet it at home and also said it was nice to eat as he had caught them before and eaten them................. maybe you should have kept it.

You are welcome re the fish and so are the kids for the Flathead Fish Fingers, they sound good.

Is Lou's Mum still with you? IS she enjoying her holiday or if she has gone back DID she enjoy her holiday?

Have to catch up with you both and Eddie and Tina for a BBQ at our place soon. Maybe you could bring some of that fish you have been catching and we can try it.

Caz

Guest Pete and Lou

Hi Caz,

Lou's Mum went home last week but had a really good time, took her out from Mooloolaba down to Caloundra Heads to look for Dolphins & Whales. The Dolphins showed up & put on a great show, no Whales though. The whales me and Eddie saw this morning were amazing, jumping out of the water, etc. On our way in one appeared in front of us about 20 meters away, just outside pt Cartwright me & Eddie s***t ourselves & changed course pretty fast with a lot of screaming, etc!!! Maybe I should have kept my fish!!

See you soon for a BBQ

Pete

Guest sh7t man no way

Hows the muddys in morten bay--is there much out there yet--i know the season is just starting--but if its anything like the last 3/4 years its slow going---not much is known about the muddys except the 4 pot rule ,and moon/tide.it would be interesting to get some info in the coming 4-6 months,just to see if the letting go of jennnys is coming through yet, and producing any more muddys.i know you crabbers play it close to you chest,so any info is good info.

Hi fellow fisho's I caught this the other night & chucked it back. I was told it is a Mac Tuner & they are really bad eating. Can anyone tell me if this is correct?? Got 2 nice Snapper as well (sorry Eddie had to put that in).

P.S. Thanks Caz & Barry for the fish, the kids had Flathead fish fingers the other night.

G'day mate, if you like sashimi they are average (so I'm told); otherwise forget it!

They are, however, great chunky baits for snapper.

Great little speedsters and fun to catch and release.

Cheers, Bobj.

Well, girls and boys, and Aldo...In 10 minutes I'm off to Awoonga Dam, near Gladstone, Qld for a week of barra fishing:hug: and catching up with internet mates, who all turned out to be exceptionally good friends...just like you lot.:yes:

It will be a 6 hour drive, towing my tinny and stopping off for driver fatigue breaks...

Take care, you lot and enjoy life...it's the only one you've got.

Bobj.

Guest guest30038

I just bought a new boat and decided to take 'er for the maiden voyage this past weekend.

This is my first boat and I wasn't quite sure of the exact Standard Operating Procedures for launching it off a ramp, but I figured it couldn't be too hard.

I consulted my local boat dealer for advice, but they just said "don't let the trailer get too deep when you are trying to launch the boat".

What am I doing wrong?

Well, I don't know what they meant by that as I could barely get the trailer in the water at all!

Anyhow, here's a picture below.

See for yourself.

What am I doing wrong?

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

cid_11A36A6702EC4A1CB6ACE6B4B5D8762.jpg

Guest cazbeckham

so does that mean you will be sitting indoors by yourself again drinking beer???? could always come round here

Guest Working to fish
so does that mean you will be sitting indoors by yourself again drinking beer???? could always come round here

Many thanks Caz ,spent the morning getting both cars upto show room condition, i have now tho tbo cracked a beer ,getting ready for the football final.

Many thanks

eddie

Archived