Brits going home due to no jobs or low pay

Guest tlander56

Guest tlander56

Hi Guys,

Was chatting with the overseas removal guy earlier today...he was saying he's currently flat out moving brits back home....he was saying so many have come here, and either can't find work, or pay is too low to support their families on that they have to get back just to live rent/mortgage free with their families etc, as their savings have run out! Scary eh?:huh: Hope it's not going to make the shipping more expensive...

Guest purplewitch
eh?:huh: Hope it's not going to make the shipping more expensive...

Why would it make the shipping more expensive?

Guest tlander56
Oh no, that is very worrying, my husband hasnt got a job yet and I am starting to worry. We dont have a lot of money to take with us and I am worried about it running out...

Carly Lee and Boys

Hi Carly,

What line of work is your hubby in? The medical field is always in need...but yes, things really have changed here of late...we are planning to return to the UK soon, but worry about losing our jobs before then. Quite a few mums at work have mentioned that their partners have been moved to 3 day weeks, rather than being laid off....but of course that's only any good if you can afford to live on only 3 days works per week......what will you be doing for work? I never had to work in the UK, but had to return to work here to make ends meet..but Brisbane is a very pricey place! Where are you headed?

Tanya

Guest tlander56
Why would it make the shipping more expensive?

Less availability + more demand = higher prices.....it's the aussie way:laugh:

AND the way he hesitated prior to giving me a quote after explaining all of this made me suspicious....

This happened to us. Hubby did find a job but only part time and $18 per hour. He visited companies and sent around 20 CV's but no jobs going. He got an evening job 2pm - 10pm labouring but men who worked there were pigs. They wouldnt let him use the water as they didnt like "poms". they wouldnt help him lift heavy panels and said poms dont last long there as they make sure they dont. This job was the nail in the coffin and we came home after a month. He got his old job back in uk but I am struggling to get any work.

When we arrived back in uk we were so glad to be back. however we are now saving again and are going back when jobs pick up in Brisbane.

We spent most of our time there driving between Gold coast and Sunshine coast in the search of a full time job.

Guest purplewitch

ah OK,

BUT on the other side of the coin, people coming back to the UK ill find it hard to get jobs, I work helping people get back into work and its horrendous at the moment, one of my clients went for a driving job at minimum pay to be told that over 300 people had also applied!!!!!!

there is nothing much here job wise either.....

Guest tlander56
ah OK,

BUT on the other side of the coin, people coming back to the UK ill find it hard to get jobs, I work helping people get back into work and its horrendous at the moment, one of my clients went for a driving job at minimum pay to be told that over 300 people had also applied!!!!!!

there is nothing much here job wise either.....

Yes, but I think the situation is that in the UK they have places to live for free.....some people I know here were literally flogging everything they own on ebay just to pay the rent and bills...that can only last so long, as they are not eligible for any benefits..in the UK they had family to fall back on..it was the only option they had left. Are you planning a move here, or are you here already?

Tanya

Hi Carly,

What line of work is your hubby in? The medical field is always in need...but yes, things really have changed here of late...we are planning to return to the UK soon, but worry about losing our jobs before then. Quite a few mums at work have mentioned that their partners have been moved to 3 day weeks, rather than being laid off....but of course that's only any good if you can afford to live on only 3 days works per week......what will you be doing for work? I never had to work in the UK, but had to return to work here to make ends meet..but Brisbane is a very pricey place! Where are you headed?

Tanya

Hi Tanya

My husband is a fitter and I am a project worker, helping young mums live independently. I am worried about work for him, we dont have lots of money to take so it is very worrying. Our visa is a skilled shortage but it doesnt seem to be the case.

All the best

Carly, Lee and Boys

Guest tlander56
Hi Tanya

My husband is a fitter and I am a project worker, helping young mums live independently. I am worried about work for him, we dont have lots of money to take so it is very worrying. Our visa is a skilled shortage but it doesnt seem to be the case.

All the best

Carly, Lee and Boys

Hi there,

Have you guys applied for any jobs yet? if so, what has the feedback been? Unfortunately I know very little about your types of work....SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site is a good site to look at. My husband got his first job here from there.

Hope this helps,

Tanya

Guest purplewitch
Yes, but I think the situation is that in the UK they have places to live for free.....some people I know here were literally flogging everything they own on ebay just to pay the rent and bills...that can only last so long, as they are not eligible for any benefits..in the UK they had family to fall back on..it was the only option they had left. Are you planning a move here, or are you here already?

Tanya

We are moving to brisbaine at some point in the future visa is in that big old queue LOL we are family sponsored so will be at the bottom of thepile so at least a year for us we think!

Hi there,

Have you guys applied for any jobs yet? if so, what has the feedback been? Unfortunately I know very little about your types of work....SEEK - Australia's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site is a good site to look at. My husband got his first job here from there.

Hope this helps,

Tanya

Hi Tanya

My husband has applied for a few jobs but not heard anything back, there doesnt seem to be very many jobs but i am remaining positive or trying to be.:err:

Carly, Lee and Boys

Guest purplewitch
Hi Tanya

All the best

Carly, Lee and Boys

Carly your job sounds similar to mine, Im a careers advisor for ex offenders, and if you have a NVQ level ffourin something like advise and guidance there seems to be alot of jobs in the kind of advisory work, on seek and the other sites Ive looked at they come under 'welfare workers' BUT I have found that some of the jobs we as migrants wouldnt beeligable to apply for, if they say 'permanent or ongoing' on them then Ive been told we cant apply as you need to be an aussie citizen so can really onbly apply for the temporary roles.

Carly your job sounds similar to mine, Im a careers advisor for ex offenders, and if you have a NVQ level ffourin something like advise and guidance there seems to be alot of jobs in the kind of advisory work, on seek and the other sites Ive looked at they come under 'welfare workers' BUT I have found that some of the jobs we as migrants wouldnt beeligable to apply for, if they say 'permanent or ongoing' on them then Ive been told we cant apply as you need to be an aussie citizen so can really onbly apply for the temporary roles.

Unfortunately I dont have a NVQ level 4, I am learning on the job, so I am worried I wont get a job, I LOVE my job now and would like to continue in this role once I get there, i am still going to email around though. Can you not apply if you have a permanent visa?

Guest purplewitch

apparently not, as I work in prisons and probations here in the uK was hoping to do simiar out there, but when Ive emailed a few comapnies have ben hit with the aussie citizenship thing. BUT not all jobs in the welfare sector are like that so Im thinking I may have to change what I do slilghtly to start with, would defo say that if you can get your level 4 before you go its well worth doing its classed as a higher diploma (I think, have it written down at work! its definately classed as a degree level qual though) and alot of the vacancies seem to be asking for it, you can get it done in about 2 - 3 months if you work at it. I love my job too, and its one of my considerations at themoment is should I relaly up and leave something I love doing as I know I wont intitally be able to get anything the same over there........... BUT we are expecting at least 12 - 18 months till our visa is granted so things will change Im sure!

Guest purplewitch

I did mine through work, might be worth asking your line manager as they can sometimes get funding through LSC for things liek that. just looking on seek now and there are quite alot of youth worker jobs on there and one for a feminist assosiation who want someone to work with women who have had sexual offences comttied against them (weird thing is I work with the ones who have committed theoffences which I think must be easier than working with the victims............ )

can I ask have you got your visa on your job or your hubbys?

Guest Weemac

Hi Carly, If you don't mind me asking why are you contemplating Brissy? There are jobs advertised regularly here for fitters over here in WA and up here in Gero it is a safe haven for single/seperated mums relocated from other places....might suit?

It is a great place...still growing...and they reckon there is more on the horizon coming in workwise. The easiest way to describe Gero is, quote: 'There is everything you need here, maybe not everything you want, but everything you need'. I have found this to be accurate, but with Perth only @5 hours away nothing is unattainable.

Good luck in your endeavours,

Mac

Having been made redundant here in the Uk last March i have finaly secured a job in my field after 8 weeks of jobseekers limbo..

Due to this we are going to play our move to Austrailia very carefully when we finaly get our visa..

I'd hate to give up good paying jobs during this recession only to fail in getting a job when moving out to Oz..

We intend only to move once we have secured one job to go too, if this means delaying our move out there or various visits to secure a job it dont matter..

In the end we want our newlife in Oz to succeed.

Were in wa.. And my oh is a cnc engineer , his work is dire , he is at the mo working as a trade assistent , we are aplying like mad, and not getting any feedback, quite scary, saying that im hairdressing over here and im paid far more than i was in the uk, the one thing we have noticed in this part is there are q a few people who don't work doing their actual trade, and you need a license for every thing! And it allways costs, so we are applying for all sorts even driving jobs, in wa you have to take extra license for driving any thing bigger than a car! But this is a def extra most of the jobs want, ..if you look at seek make sure you check the other sections the jobs really are in odd places at times , and they don't seem to take them off for ages even when the osition is filled , .

If anyone is looking for something to tide them over - cleaning is the thing! I looked for work when we first came to Australia in June 2008, but without success. I now have my own business which is doing very well. If you don't mind hard work, its a good earner. I'm turning work down because I'm so busy, and am considering taking on staff to cope with the workload.

It may not be a dream job, but it's certainly in demand and it's a good source of income with very little outlay.

If anyone wants any pointers I'd be happy to help.

T xx

When we arrived back in uk we were so glad to be back. however we are now saving again and are going back when jobs pick up in Brisbane.

quote]

Hi Thorpes

How come you are moving back??

Carly Lee and boys

Hi Carly, Lee & boys

We now realise the reasons we wanted to leave uk. nothing to do at weekends because of weather, dull. dirty just to name a few.

Australia isnt paradise but I think its were we want to live.

We went at the wrong time with recession and not much savings and hubby felt he was under pressure with finding perfect job.

His boss back in uk was always texting him to come back and he didnt give it long enough.

I would have stayed but he didnt want to.

Now we are settled back he is the one who wants to go back and talks about australia all the time.

We have agreed that we will save more money and he will try and secure a job first.

Jill

xxx

I did mine through work, might be worth asking your line manager as they can sometimes get funding through LSC for things liek that. just looking on seek now and there are quite alot of youth worker jobs on there and one for a feminist assosiation who want someone to work with women who have had sexual offences comttied against them (weird thing is I work with the ones who have committed theoffences which I think must be easier than working with the victims............ )

can I ask have you got your visa on your job or your hubbys?

Hi Purplewitch (sorry dont know your name..lol)

We have come over on my husband's job, I havent been in my job long enough to use it. I did see some that I would apply for and I would state that i am willing to work on my skills. I dont think that my employer would put me forward for a NVQ as I have not been there very long and she already knows that I am leaving. I will try though and see what she says.

Hopefully someone will give me a chance in Brisbane. :wacko:

Carly, Lee and Boys :cute:

If you don't mind me asking why are you contemplating Brissy

Hi Mac

We applied for a state sponsorship with Brisbane as my hubby's job is on the skilled shortage list and they are sponsoring them, when we intially applied there were loads and loads of jobs that he could apply for but now we have our visa and ready to apply there is hardly anything. We have to stay in Brisbane for 2 years before we can move states but we are happy with this (if he gets a job)

Carly Lee and Boys

Archived