Brits going home due to no jobs or low pay

Guest tlander56

I feel cheated by aussiess. First, i attended one of skills expos in the UK - "skills4Oz" "australia needs your skills" i asked there about my occupation, ok, i was told i would have many of well paid job offers, and my non australian qualifications can be recognised easy, I don't need any licences, references from the UK are ok, so I arrived and what happens? I need to have few licenses, it turned my life into a nightmare when i faced australian red tape, and job agents said me to get these licences first and then apply for a job, so now I spent lot of money for licences, got it and still I have no a job. this country requires licences for everything, and are valid in one state only, papers from nsw are worthless in qld/wa/vic/etc. get new papers to work there and be milked again - australia earns money this way, milking money.

Where are australian employers looking for skilled staff? where is this skills shortage?

This is big australian con to milk money only.

Guest tlander56
I feel cheated by aussiess. First, i attended one of skills expos in the UK - "skills4Oz" "australia needs your skills" i asked there about my occupation, ok, i was told i would have many of well paid job offers, and my non australian qualifications can be recognised easy, I don't need any licences, references from the UK are ok, so I arrived and what happens? I need to have few licenses, it turned my life into a nightmare when i faced australian red tape, and job agents said me to get these licences first and then apply for a job, so now I spent lot of money for licences, got it and still I have no a job. this country requires licences for everything, and are valid in one state only, papers from nsw are worthless in qld/wa/vic/etc. get new papers to work there and be milked again - australia earns money this way, milking money.

Where are australian employers looking for skilled staff? where is this skills shortage?

This is big australian con to milk money only.

Yes, this is something I've heard too....lots of families come here with a promise of jobs, as their occupations are on the 'skills shortage' list.....but when they arrive...nothing.:mad:

Guest tony and marie

Hi Tanya

We are hoping to come to Brisbane in Sep/Oct this year, we both have jobs and two kids. I was interested in your thread. I was hoping you could offer some advice/information!

Do you know where the good, affordable places are to live in North Brisbane?

Do you know of any good schools?

How much might we expect to pay for out stuff to be shipped from UK to Brisbane?

How much is the average rental property (I guess it depends on the areas)?

Why are you returning?

I'm nosey I know!

Cheers

Tony & Marie

Hi Carly,

What line of work is your hubby in? The medical field is always in need...but yes, things really have changed here of late...we are planning to return to the UK soon, but worry about losing our jobs before then. Quite a few mums at work have mentioned that their partners have been moved to 3 day weeks, rather than being laid off....but of course that's only any good if you can afford to live on only 3 days works per week......what will you be doing for work? I never had to work in the UK, but had to return to work here to make ends meet..but Brisbane is a very pricey place! Where are you headed?

Tanya

Guest pegasus 90

I read on the news today that there is currently a deficit of 9000 trade jobs in Australia. they don't tell you that when you apply to emigrate. If you are thinking of coming over from UK, you should be aware that Immigration & Industry don't seem to talk to one another, as they often completely contradict each other as regards to what occupations are required. One of the hardest things to accept is that you have to accept big steps backward in regards to position & salaries. It took me quite a few yrs to get myself in a good position earning good money.'ARG' has some valid points, the picture sold to people is somewhat different when you arrive.

Guest pegasus 90

I agree with a lot of what you say ARG. When I arrived 9 yrs ago, it took me 3 months to get my Electrical licences before I could work (earning didly squat in the meantime!).

Guest treesea

What amazes me is the number of people in good management jobs in the UK who expect to get an equally good job in Australia. Keep in mind, when you first arrive you have no work experience in Australia, so no worthwhile references. Overseas referees and testimonials don't count. Also, practically everyone you are up against to even get a job has Australian experience, so you are behind the eight ball straight away. Even for Aussies returning after a long time away, it isn't that easy to even get work, let alone good work.

To Nth Sharman, good on you for setting up your own business. That takes a lot of courage in a strange land. more power you. Come on Brits. Where's your entrepreneurial spirit?

Hi Guys,

Was chatting with the overseas removal guy earlier today...he was saying he's currently flat out moving brits back home....he was saying so many have come here, and either can't find work, or pay is too low to support their families on that they have to get back just to live rent/mortgage free with their families etc, as their savings have run out! Scary eh?:huh: Hope it's not going to make the shipping more expensive...

One positive post at least..........

Well, personally both my wife and I earn more money here in Oz than we did in the U.K. We have our own house twice the size of the U.K. home. We both work less and find living expences generally cheaper here, also we pay alot less tax on our income and No national insurance! We own 2 cars, which never would have afforded in U.K. We feel for those who either don't like it here or struggle to find work and survive, but its not all doom and gloom, we for one are a very happy success story!!!

Loving the life in Oz, but thats not to say we don't like U.K. just like it here more, and living a far better lifestyle in this beautiful country.:jiggy:

also we pay alot less tax on our income and No national insurance! We own 2 cars, which never would have afforded in U.K.

In the Uk I remember about 20% of my salary was deducted - tax and national insurance, (pension and health insurance), in australia also about 20% of my salary was deducted for tax, and national insurance was already included in my income tax and if i need a doctor I must pay extra money.. did we need to pay extra for doctors in the UK? how is this cheaper in Oz than in the UK? first tax threshold in the UK was 6000 pounds, in oz 6000$, so more income in the UK is tax free than in Oz

cars - second hand cars are much more expensive than in the UK so earning the same money in both countries just in the UK I can have better, younger car than in Oz. Cost of keeping a car in NSW is much more expensive than in the UK.

In the Uk I remember about 20% of my salary was deducted - tax and national insurance, (pension and health insurance), in australia also about 20% of my salary was deducted for tax, and national insurance was already included in my income tax and if i need a doctor I must pay extra money.. did we need to pay extra for doctors in the UK? how is this cheaper in Oz than in the UK? first tax threshold in the UK was 6000 pounds, in oz 6000$, so more income in the UK is tax free than in Oz

cars - second hand cars are much more expensive than in the UK so earning the same money in both countries just in the UK I can have better, younger car than in Oz. Cost of keeping a car in NSW is much more expensive than in the UK.

Well I must pay less tax than you then, I'm paying 18% in Oz and I don't pay anything to visit the doctor as they bulk bill to medicare. Get free eye tests, have been in hospital for an eye operation and didn't pay a cent.

Cars are more expensive second hand no doubt, but they're not all rotten and rusty from salting the roads, no mot's here either, petrol is alot cheaper here as is insurance.

Guest Guruju

Just on a slightly different perspective . I was an employee for many years when first out in Australia but have been self employed since 2002. I did have a consultancy in the UK so can compare tax regimes, setting up a business etc I have found the Australian system much easier in terms of setting up a business, especially initial start ups from home. Its almost encouraged with Councils now understanding its an important component of the market. I have found the Tax Office here to be very very helpful, providers of good information and willing to take a personal interest in whatever situation you are in to try and point you in the right direction. The tax system is supportive of the self employed with its allowances, ability to set up a family trust to distribute tax more efficiently and therefore my tax is a lot lower than I paid in the UK. Most filling in or forms is securely online. There are some great State Government sites that help SME's extensively. I have found, on the whole, government is much more supportive of SMEs and the self employed than I experienced in the UK. So I have been much better off in Australia than the equalivalent set up in the UK.

regards

Julia

Well I must pay less tax than you then, I'm paying 18% in Oz and I don't pay anything to visit the doctor as they bulk bill to medicare. Get free eye tests, have been in hospital for an eye operation and didn't pay a cent.

Cars are more expensive second hand no doubt, but they're not all rotten and rusty from salting the roads, no mot's here either, petrol is alot cheaper here as is insurance.

In sydney you must pay for doctors almost everywhere. Petrol is cheaper but how much is your weekly or monthly petrol bill comparing to the UK? In the UK I lived 2 miles away, 2 miles only to my job, in Sydney when i worked sometimes 30 miles. No mot's? you may not have it in qld, but in sydney this is called a pink slip, i need to renew my rego now to to do it, i need this pink slip and green slip - compulsory third party personal insurance 632$ + third party property damage also 600$ a year(this is not compulsory) + rego i don't see if it is cheaper than in the UK.

In sydney you must pay for doctors almost everywhere. Petrol is cheaper but how much is your weekly or monthly petrol bill comparing to the UK? In the UK I lived 2 miles away, 2 miles only to my job, in Sydney when i worked sometimes 30 miles. No mot's? you may not have it in qld, but in sydney this is called a pink slip, i need to renew my rego now to to do it, i need this pink slip and green slip - compulsory third party personal insurance 632$ + third party property damage also 600$ a year(this is not compulsory) + rego i don't see if it is cheaper than in the UK.

My weekly/monthly petrol bill is half here in Oz compared to the u.k. It cost today $32 to fill up my car which is approx £15 that will last me 1 week, £15 in the u.k wouldn't even be half a tank!!!! I work roughly the same distance from home in Oz as I did in the U.K. and the roads are alot better here and alot less congested.

I'm not in Qld, I'm in Perth W.A. clearly things are different here as far as cars go, we don't pay anywhere near what your paying! WEeonly pay approximately $450 per year for rego and complusary 3rd party in total, so In W.A. its clearly cheaper than Sydney and the U.K.

Guest Barrian

20% deducted in the UK for Tax and NI? How long since you moved? I'm paying closer to 40-45%

Aaaaaaarggh!

my monthly payslip from the UK (2007)

payments: ................................................ deductions:

salary 1275.00 ........................................... tax 166.60

non taxable housing allowance 320.00 ......... NI Employee 94.05

total deductions 260.65

net payment 1334.35

so not everyone gets housing allowance let's count only my salary 1275 and deductions

260.65/1275 = 0.2044*100% = 20.44% deducted and if i include my housing allowance then this would be 16.3% deducted but not everyone gets it

Hi Carly - I too held very good jobs that I enjoyed in the UK as project workers/support workers and a development officer. My experience (some 10 years) and qualifications where not recognised in Australia and I applied for in excess of 25 similar roles not even scoring an interview. I now work in an administration role which took me 5 months to secure and a real down grade to the CV. The job market is tough over here (Im in Brisbane). The thing is, you have to be grateful to be in a role and realise that although its not your ideal, its a starting point and takes the pressure off whilst you decide if you want to train over here or just tick over as you are. The recession is worldwide and that includes here. You also have to realise that you are competing against Australians for roles in "their" country - who would you choose if you had to decide?

Archived