Study Enrolled nursing once living in Perth at Central Tafe

Dawn75

I posted on here a while back about doing nurse training once we arrive in Perth next year and when I looked into the courses they did seem rather expensive.

When I looked into enrolled nursing at the Tafe in Perth it was quoting $10,000 per year to study. My OH was not impressed ! However I didnt realise that was the fee for International students on a student visa !! :GEEK:

We should be coming over on a perm res visa as my OH is a carpenter so I wont be applying as an international student. Accidently I found a website about Central Tafe and their courses ( not available to inter students) and enrolled nursing is only $570 per semester - much cheaper and you can study part time. ( At Mt Lawley) Ideal for me as my kids will be just starting school.

Does anyone know anything about these courses ? Have I understood this to correctly. I will be 35 by the time I start studying so enrolled nursing is a shorter course and may be better for me. Only trouble is finding my school certificates....:spinny:

Guest dawnie23

I cant answer your question..sorry! im an enrolled nurse and have been for 27yrs an love it! i do everything a registered nurse does (just paid less lol)

good luck with everything

Dawn

Hi, I'm looking at doing nursing 3 years $6000 a year all in as a cws, thats all books and everything whats enrolled nursing? how long do you have to study after completing enrolled nursing to become a nurse, I'm looking into monash in Melbourne in frankston, but that sounds a great plan to do enrolled as studying a fraction of the price

My niece recently finished the 3 year Bachelor of Applied Science (Nursing) at Monash University Peninsula (Frankston) campus. It is a great course , and some people are eligible for HECS (higher education contribution scheme: pay later when you earn, but it is indexed).

In Victoria, the enrolled nursing course is at TAFE college, is 12 months, and it is called the Certificate IV in Health Nursing, and then you can go on to study the Bachelor's degree if you'd like to.

I work with some Cert IV nurses, and they can work in various settings, but they can sometimes have a few less choices, and less pay. In some settings though, such as palliative care they more or less do the same job, but maybe not always in a hospital setting I am told by a couple of them (?).

In Melbourne, the Cert IV is popular at Box Hill Tafe or Swinburne Tafe, in the south east I think Holmesglen Tafe does it. If you google them you can see the subjects and requirements etc.

Hope this helps in any way, good luck with it.

Yes that is what I understand enrolled nursing to be- not as trained as the degree nurses but you can still work in hospitals as an enrolled nurse. Then you can go to uni for 2 yrs instead after if you wish to do the degree. I would prefer to do the 3 yrs at uni really but dont think we will be able to afford it !! But will see when the time comes. Cant advise on Melbourne as I been looking at education in Perth WA.

• 2 years later...

Hiya Dawn

I have just finished my enrolled nurse qualification at joondalup tafe. I did it as an international student and paid $6000 per semester, which was a complete ball ache and to be honest for the amount of money i paid for it i didnt get my moneys worth.

The course itself is good and it gets easier the further on you get into it. Semester 1 you have something like 13 modules to complete which does make things a bit stressful but as the semesters go on your workload decreses and i think in the last semester we had something like 2 modules to complete. I know the way each tafe does the course is slightly different and from my understanding mount lawley in comparison to joondalup had a little more practical training then theory.

I would reccomend that if you are going to do it get yourself a Mimms becuase in semester 2 when u need one they r very hard to get as they cost a bomb to buy but if ur lucky ur local gp or chemist will give u an old version for free as they r updated twice a year so they throw them out regularly.

I found that as an older student i was surrounded by teenagers which initially was annoying coz it does feel like u have slipped back into seniour school but, in my tafe there was a fair few mature students which ranged from myself at 25 all the way up to 60 but, i found our ages didnt really matter after a while becuase we all got on resonbly well.

Also i would suggest that once you have started the course go and ask the tafe for the medical clearance pack and get a medical clearence from your doctor and get your immunisations done quickly as possible becuase the tafe wont allow you to go on prac at the end of the semester if it hasnt been completed and there is often problems during the process, also the sooner u get it done the sooner you get on prac and in my tafe it ment the better prac u got or should i say it was the difference between getting a ward in a hospital or getting a nursing home.

I know alot of people say that you should go and get your RN instead if you can but, if you do your EN training first you get a good foundation and your are able to be a basic nurse for a while and develop your skills and knowledge before taking the nxt step which from what iv seen makes better nurses. Should you want to upgrade your skills in the future you can do a conversion curse which is 2 yrs at uni which int bad.

Hope this is helpful :)

Lots of very useful info there. Thank you

.With regards the Enrolled nursing, Can I ask a few questions please. What do they need to see for enrollment? I would be a 'mature' student and have not done any study for years and goodness knows where my old certs are. Would I find the study hard do you reckon? Is there a 'test' to get on the course ?

Also, when studying,is it a full year or do you get hols off like the schools? Just thinking how it would work round the kids.

For enrollment from what i can remeber you do need to find ur qualifications such as GCSE's ect but, what i did was I contacted my old secondary school and they printed off my results from my GCSE's and they accepted that. Also if u are going in as an international student or if ur not a citizen and havent done your year 12 in australia you have to do an english test whch consists of three exams reading and writing, listening and speaking english and for nursing you have to reach a level 7 on all of them - from what i remeber its about $350

I didnt find it hard to study after being away from education because the way my tafe did it was they gave you an overview of when each assessment or due date for things were so u knew what was coming up also if they give you homework they have to by law give u at least a week to do it and if you have something that isnt up to scracth they give you another week to improve it, which i didnt think was bad, the only thing i found difficult in enrolled nursing was in some modules there is alot of reading to do and i found it hard to get my head into reading page after page of medical terminology and case studies lol I would suggest that before doing the course get yourself a book of medical terminology and get yourself familar with the lingo coz they do use medical terminology with you from day one.

The way tafe does its marking is by practical exams (mostly) they do have some written exams obviously, some of them can be online and done at home under a time allowence and some like the maths exam in semester 2 have to be done in a class room - oh by the way u HAVE to get 100% on your maths exam or u will fail but dnt worry when i did mine u were allowed a calculator, the hardest bit was remebering the forumlar's

The students schedule for the year goes Feb to Dec with summer holidays running in jan they have half term and long weekends off im not sure of those dates tho. Most semesters run for about 8 weeks i think with like a week or two break in between i do remeber for enrolled nursing (depending on your prac) i had a 6 week gap in the middle of the year May/June time where i had no classes and i was able to work my 20 hrs a week coz prac was running. Like i said in previous posts the first semester is the hardest becuase its so busy i was there 5 days a week initially then semester 2 3 days a week then in semester 3 2 days a week.

As the semesters go by ur prac time increases semester 1 u have 2 weeks prac at an aged care of rehab facility, semester 2 i had 4 weeks (2 weeks mental health and 2 weeks surgical) and in the last semester u do 6 weeks ( 1 week GP, 3 weeks medical or surgical and 2 weeks speciality) these are full time 5 days a week 8 hr shifts. In WA if ur really lucky and u impress ur lecturers u can get more prac and you can get an allocation to work with the mobile GP service called the street doctor, which is a very valuble experience to have as a student, so its always worth while staying in ur lecturers good books. Also iv noticed in the nursing world in WA its not about what you know its who you know and i was fortunate to fall into my teahers good graces and managed to land myself a job after i was qualified.

• 2 years later...
For enrollment from what i can remeber you do need to find ur qualifications such as GCSE's ect but, what i did was I contacted my old secondary school and they printed off my results from my GCSE's and they accepted that. Also if u are going in as an international student or if ur not a citizen and havent done your year 12 in australia you have to do an english test whch consists of three exams reading and writing, listening and speaking english and for nursing you have to reach a level 7 on all of them - from what i remeber its about $350

I didnt find it hard to study after being away from education because the way my tafe did it was they gave you an overview of when each assessment or due date for things were so u knew what was coming up also if they give you homework they have to by law give u at least a week to do it and if you have something that isnt up to scracth they give you another week to improve it, which i didnt think was bad, the only thing i found difficult in enrolled nursing was in some modules there is alot of reading to do and i found it hard to get my head into reading page after page of medical terminology and case studies lol I would suggest that before doing the course get yourself a book of medical terminology and get yourself familar with the lingo coz they do use medical terminology with you from day one.

The way tafe does its marking is by practical exams (mostly) they do have some written exams obviously, some of them can be online and done at home under a time allowence and some like the maths exam in semester 2 have to be done in a class room - oh by the way u HAVE to get 100% on your maths exam or u will fail but dnt worry when i did mine u were allowed a calculator, the hardest bit was remebering the forumlar's

The students schedule for the year goes Feb to Dec with summer holidays running in jan they have half term and long weekends off im not sure of those dates tho. Most semesters run for about 8 weeks i think with like a week or two break in between i do remeber for enrolled nursing (depending on your prac) i had a 6 week gap in the middle of the year May/June time where i had no classes and i was able to work my 20 hrs a week coz prac was running. Like i said in previous posts the first semester is the hardest becuase its so busy i was there 5 days a week initially then semester 2 3 days a week then in semester 3 2 days a week.

As the semesters go by ur prac time increases semester 1 u have 2 weeks prac at an aged care of rehab facility, semester 2 i had 4 weeks (2 weeks mental health and 2 weeks surgical) and in the last semester u do 6 weeks ( 1 week GP, 3 weeks medical or surgical and 2 weeks speciality) these are full time 5 days a week 8 hr shifts. In WA if ur really lucky and u impress ur lecturers u can get more prac and you can get an allocation to work with the mobile GP service called the street doctor, which is a very valuble experience to have as a student, so its always worth while staying in ur lecturers good books. Also iv noticed in the nursing world in WA its not about what you know its who you know and i was fortunate to fall into my teahers good graces and managed to land myself a job after i was qualified.

Hi There,

I am an International Student too interested in the Enrolled Nursing pathway. Thanks a lot for sharing your day to day work and other tips for prospective student nurses like myself. Just one question if you dont mind. How is the timetable for example Mondays to Fridays that you had to go for in your first semester like. If you would be kind enough to help shed some light on how intensive the course is so that we know how it would be like and we can better adapt ourselves mentally and spiritually for the course. Also thanks a lot on your golden wisdom of in the final part about who yoiu know and what you know. It really is like that in the real world.

Thanks again a lot.

Regards Alexia

Hello,

does anybody know if a bridging course is required in order to get the registration as a registered nurse?

I have received my eligibility letter from AHPRA and I thought that with that one I just need to turn up at their office once in Australia and get my registration completed..but later on today I bumped into a website..and I'm worried now :S 9900$ for 3 months bridging course is a lot, do I need to do it or is just for people who are eligible but with conditions?

Hello,

does anybody know if a bridging course is required in order to get the registration as a registered nurse?

I have received my eligibility letter from AHPRA and I thought that with that one I just need to turn up at their office once in Australia and get my registration completed..but later on today I bumped into a website..and I'm worried now :S 9900$ for 3 months bridging course is a lot, do I need to do it or is just for people who are eligible but with conditions?

Are you an enrolled nurse or a registered nurse? If you've been working as a nurse in the UK you shouldn't have to do a bridging course. If you're wishing to convert from EN to RN you'll have to do further training

I posted on here a while back about doing nurse training once we arrive in Perth next year and when I looked into the courses they did seem rather expensive.

When I looked into enrolled nursing at the Tafe in Perth it was quoting $10,000 per year to study. My OH was not impressed ! However I didnt realise that was the fee for International students on a student visa !! :GEEK:

We should be coming over on a perm res visa as my OH is a carpenter so I wont be applying as an international student. Accidently I found a website about Central Tafe and their courses ( not available to inter students) and enrolled nursing is only $570 per semester - much cheaper and you can study part time. ( At Mt Lawley) Ideal for me as my kids will be just starting school.

Does anyone know anything about these courses ? Have I understood this to correctly. I will be 35 by the time I start studying so enrolled nursing is a shorter course and may be better for me. Only trouble is finding my school certificates....:spinny:

You will be regarded as an international student untill you gain citizenship. Though some waive it at 2 years in Oz on a PR visa, but chances are you are looking at 4 years

Are you an enrolled nurse or a registered nurse? If you've been working as a nurse in the UK you shouldn't have to do a bridging course. If you're wishing to convert from EN to RN you'll have to do further training

Dear Ali,

thank you so much for your quick response.

I am a registered nurse. I trained in Italy and I have been working in the UK for the past few years.

Given that I thought I wouldn't need any further education, and on my eligibility letter there is no mention about it whatsoever.

But as I said, I came across that website last night and it says that any Registered Nurse trained overseas has to do it as it is an orientation program for overseas Registered Nurses to get oriented to the health care system in Australia.

Plus, I know that the National Board will have to make a decision before registering someone, as the eligibility letter is not a registration in itself..

So I wanted to know if I really have to do it (maybe they will let me know that once I go to the ahpra office..?) and if I could apply for the above mentioned course in advance in order to not waste any time and get back to work asap.

I wouldn't mind doing an orientation course, I think it is a good thing to learn about new "customs" in a different Country before starting to work, only thing it is quite expensive..I thought that orientation programs would be provided by the hospital you go to work for as any hospital has different policies.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Contact AHPRA - if you have a letter of eligibility then it's been my understanding that registration is a formality - i'm sure they would have put a condition on it if it was so (perhaps you're work experience in the UK is substantial enough). Drop them a line - hope all goes well.

Archived