Bl**dy GPs!!!!! long rant!

Ratchet

:arghh:

We had our visa meds on the 20th April and when there hubby was told he had some sugar in his urine. The Dr asked him to book in for a repeat test at our GP surgery. While at the meds hubby called the GP surgery, told them exactly what was needed and what for and that we needed the results to fax back for the Visa meds and booked an appt with the nurse.

He turns up to the appt, not only has urine done but also fasting bloods. He was called this week to say all have come back as normal, no problems and he was invited to attend an appt to collect the results in paper.

Hubby goes to the surgey for the appt yesterday and was told that he could not have the results in paper. The GP has refused!!

Hubby spoke again to the receptionist today and was told he does not have the right to access his records and since the test was done for a private reason then they can refuse to allow him to have the paper result. Even after hubby offered to pay for them.

I called the PCT and was told that he does have a right via the freedom of informations act and try and speak to the practice manager. I also called the complaints dept to look at ways of resolving this without having to put a complaint in and she said the same thing. I called the practice manager and was told by the receptionist he was refusing to talk to me!!!!!

In the end we've had to go back to the visa meds people and book for hubby to go and do the test there. 1hour travel each way plus the £££'s. Tsk......

Bloody joke!

So, dont trust your own GP to help out with any additional visa health investigations. Make sure its been agreed in writing that you can have the results after tests have been done.

Im so frustrated i feel a letter of complaint coming on!

Hi, Don't blame you for having a rant hun, I would too! My hubby had to go to Drs for med files on a condition he has with his eye. No prob the Dr said & they didn't end up charging anything!!! It was the time taken to get them to the visa Dr that was the prob with us, they only had to fax the file, it took 3 weeks & lots of persistant phone calls from me asking if thy'd been sent yet. They told me twice they'd been sent & when I rang visa Dr to make sure they hadn't received them!!! Got there in the end though. Good luck to you, hope everything else goes smoothly for you. X

Guest Gollywobbler
:arghh:

We had our visa meds on the 20th April and when there hubby was told he had some sugar in his urine. The Dr asked him to book in for a repeat test at our GP surgery. While at the meds hubby called the GP surgery, told them exactly what was needed and what for and that we needed the results to fax back for the Visa meds and booked an appt with the nurse.

He turns up to the appt, not only has urine done but also fasting bloods. He was called this week to say all have come back as normal, no problems and he was invited to attend an appt to collect the results in paper.

Hubby goes to the surgey for the appt yesterday and was told that he could not have the results in paper. The GP has refused!!

Hubby spoke again to the receptionist today and was told he does not have the right to access his records and since the test was done for a private reason then they can refuse to allow him to have the paper result. Even after hubby offered to pay for them.

I called the PCT and was told that he does have a right via the freedom of informations act and try and speak to the practice manager. I also called the complaints dept to look at ways of resolving this without having to put a complaint in and she said the same thing. I called the practice manager and was told by the receptionist he was refusing to talk to me!!!!!

In the end we've had to go back to the visa meds people and book for hubby to go and do the test there. 1hour travel each way plus the £££'s. Tsk......

Bloody joke!

So, dont trust your own GP to help out with any additional visa health investigations. Make sure its been agreed in writing that you can have the results after tests have been done.

Im so frustrated i feel a letter of complaint coming on!

Hi Ratchet

This is right off the wall.

I would tell the Reception Dragons that I require an appointment with the doctor who is the senior partner of the GP practice.

When the Dragons bark, "What for?" I would tell them that I will discuss my medical affairs with a doctor of my choice and nobody else.

I reckon that the doctor would waste no time realising that his moronic staff are behaving abominably and that s/he would do something about it at once.

Best wishes

Gill

Possible solutions:

The panel Dr. Can contact your GP and request a copy of the results

The panel. Dr. Can contact the lab and ask for a copy of the results.

I would seriously consider complaining in writing and send a copy to the PCT

I would put in an official complaint, its the only way this sort of thing can be addressed, and as Gill says, speak to the senior Dr of the practice. I know we are not used to causing a fuss (so called stiff british upper lip syndrome) but in this instance I think its time to put your foot down. Also, ask for a refund from the practice for the extra cost involved. you wont get it but it may make them think again about their policy.

Have to just praise my practice, they have been great with everything, letters, records etc, only had to make a phone call and everything was done in a day or two. Only had to pay £10 for a print out of my records and £10 for a copy of my medication for the panel Dr. So not all GP surgerys are the same

I'm glad that your husband's results came back normal. I agree with the others that you are within your rights to make a complaint. You were clear about your reasons for wanting the test, the least they could have done was tell you that they were going to make it as difficult as possible to get the results :err:

I think someone somewhere in your GP's Surgery has got a bit mixed up. If I were you, I'd do exactly what Gill has advised and see how that goes. If time is of the essence, I'd book the same test with someone who will guarantee to hold up their end of the bargain and ask the GP for a refund.

Good luck :smile:

Guest trigger

its tough enough without fools like that, try to chill out and take a deep breath, everything will work out fine im sure.

Richard and Jo

1. Tell the receptionist - get her name - that a complaint will be shortly following, but the might be able to avoid that if you speak to the senior partner now.

2. Tell the senior partner what the complaint is, and let him know that, if he refuses to accede to the request, he will also be named as complicit

3. If that fails, do put in an official complaint, to GMC, not just PCT. Tell the doctors that, make it clear, because that involves an appearance before the GMC, with the possibility of being struck off.

Cause for complaint - stresses caused by failure to inform. Denial of information - it is all about your body, and your right to know. Loss of money involved. Loss of health due to stress. Make them sweat.

Yes, I am a doctor.

Archived