Quantas

Guest Mark and Sharon

Guest proud2beaussie

To travel where and when?

I had a press release from them during the week and there will be a sale in the first week of May but I doubt that there will be anything special in it,they have already announced an expected profit downgrade and job cuts so my opinion is that you shouldn't expect anything too drastic.

PM me if you have any questions.

If you join up to their FF program they never stop bombarding you with specials. However, I have found some really good rates just by browsing times when I thought I might want to travel even when there are no sales. BTW it's Qantas, no u.

Guest dazla
Can anyone tell us when Quantas are having their sale.

Hi

They had a sale over the last two weeks but its finished, but I got a flight back to the UK yesterday with Cathay Pacific for $1450, for september, cheaper even thean korean air.

Daz

In my weekend paper yesterday there was a cartoon. A distinctly dodgy looking character was talking to a group of refugees:

"Well, for $10,000 I can get you to Australia in a dangerous, over-crowded leaky fishing boat. However, if you're willing to rough it and take the risk, I can send you by Qantas for $799."

That about sums it up.

Bob

Guest proud2beaussie

This story is an absolute beat up and has no foundation in fact,I am privy to the real finacial situation regarding Qantas as I have a substantial shareholding in the company and I also have a commercial relationship with the airline,they are in no danger of "going bust" at all and in fact a source at Qantas tells me that the company is preparing a lawsuit against the "aviation expert" who wrote the drivel.

Disclaimer: The author of this post holds Qantas shares.

In my weekend paper yesterday there was a cartoon. A distinctly dodgy looking character was talking to a group of refugees:

"Well, for $10,000 I can get you to Australia in a dangerous, over-crowded leaky fishing boat. However, if you're willing to rough it and take the risk, I can send you by Qantas for $799."

That about sums it up.

Bob

We flew Qantas & thought it was better than the BA flight home?!

We were well looked after, good choice of films, too much food bombarded at you every 4 hours or so!

Kath

This story is an absolute beat up and has no foundation in fact,I am privy to the real finacial situation regarding Qantas as I have a substantial shareholding in the company and I also have a commercial relationship with the airline,they are in no danger of "going bust" at all and in fact a source at Qantas tells me that the company is preparing a lawsuit against the "aviation expert" who wrote the drivel.

Judith Chalmers, Gordon Ramsey now Richard Branson Earlswood you are real!!!!

Guest proud2beaussie

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce concedes Jetstar has limited capacity to relieve its parent of profit pressure.

He was speaking after the national carrier downgraded its full-year 2009 profit forecast by 80 per cent.

Mr Joyce told ABC TV that the company was approaching the limit of its ability to transfer capacity to Jetstar in order to cushion the profit squeeze that led to last week's profit downgrade.

"We have done a lot of that in the last year. There is a limit to what we can do and I think we're getting to that limit," he said in an interview broadcast on Sunday.

"A lot of the problem markets now for Qantas are probably markets that Jetstar's not the right model for - the Los Angeles market as an example."

Qantas slashed its 2008/09 pre-tax profit guidance from $500 million to between $100 million and $200 million last Wednesday, and said it would retrench up to 1,750 staff - around five per cent of its workforce.

The airline will also ground planes and defer aircraft orders as heavy discounting takes its toll on yields amid a nose-dive in the demand for air travel since the collapse of Lehman Brothers last September.

While Qantas Frequent Flyer, Jetstar and regional operations are still profitable, international operations - its biggest divisional earner - is leaking cash, especially at the front end of the planes.

"In the business class and first class - the premium cabins - we're seeing a drop internationally of over 20 per cent," Mr Joyce said.

"In economy, the volumes are actually holding. It's the yields that's the problem so that we're actually getting less in terms of airfares because there's a lot of discounting."

In a separate interview on Sky News, Mr Joyce said the airline's previous market forecast had allowed for a drop in premium traffic of between 20 per cent and 30 per cent, but the latest profit downgrade was due to fare discounts.

"Even in the last two weeks we've seen our competitors taking a 50 per cent discount on fares and we've matched (this) to remain competitive and that's causing our revenue to take a hit," he said.

But Mr Joyce flatly refuted claims that without Jetstar Qantas would be in danger of going bankrupt.

"Qantas is in no danger of going bankrupt - that's not where we are. What we're doing is managing ourselves through this environment and making sure we're healthy when we get through this."

Airlines around the globe have been cutting capacity and slashing jobs in order to preserve profit as the global economic crisis crimps demand for business and leisure travel.

Passenger numbers for Asia-Pacific carriers dropped almost 13 per cent in February, according to International Air Transport Association (IATA) data.

The aviation industry globally was expected to report a $US4.7 billion ($A6.5 billion) loss this year, IATA said.

The organisation said the Asia-Pacific region would be hit the hardest by the economic slowdown, with carriers in the region accounting for more than one-third of the combined global loss.

Guest proud2beaussie

Qantas is an excellent airline with an excellent safety record which has been unfortunately tarnished a little recently due to a few incidents that were quite concerning but which have been investigated thoroughly and which have led to some changes in the way Qantas manages it's maintainance.

Qantas has always been a well managed airline with an enviable reputation for service and a safety record that other airlines would do just about anything to match.

I have personally flown many hundreds of times with them over the years and I have never had any cause for major complaints,of course there have been times when things didn't quite go to plan but those incidents happen to every airline and Qantas is no different.

I would choose to fly Qantas in preference to any other airline,and that's not because I have shares in them.

we had a great flight here with qantus 7 weeks ago and would not hesitate to use them again, to be fair i think as with any service to the public the staff have a great bearing on the word of mouth, if they are on form its good and the cutomer goes away happy ! if not your in trouble ..

Guest Polegate

We have recently used BA and Qantas. Found both airlines fine BUT with Qantas you can't book your seat on line 24 hours before your flight. That's a bug bear.

Jackie

Guest proud2beaussie
We have recently used BA and Qantas. Found both airlines fine BUT with Qantas you can't book your seat on line 24 hours before your flight. That's a bug bear.

Jackie

That's an I.T issue which I understand is being corrected in their new online booking engine which is going live in May.

Some airlines also will not accept international bookings made less than 48 hours before a flight due to security issues.

The membership fee for Qantas frequent flyer is being withdrawn as from May anyway when they announce changes to the scheme which involve earning points for purchases at Woolworths and Safeway stores .

Qantas is an excellent airline with an excellent safety record which has been unfortunately tarnished a little recently due to a few incidents that were quite concerning but which have been investigated thoroughly and which have led to some changes in the way Qantas manages it's maintainance.

Qantas has always been a well managed airline with an enviable reputation for service and a safety record that other airlines would do just about anything to match.

I have personally flown many hundreds of times with them over the years and I have never had any cause for major complaints,of course there have been times when things didn't quite go to plan but those incidents happen to every airline and Qantas is no different.

I would choose to fly Qantas in preference to any other airline,and that's not because I have shares in them.

Qantas have had the Australian people by the short and curlys for a long time with high prices and poor service, I for 1 would not shed a tear for them if they went under. I could not find 1 good thing to say about them

With respect, Nigel, it's arguable that some of the recent safety incidents at Qantas occurred BECAUSE of changes to the way they handle their maintenance. A few years back, in a cost cutting exercise, they laid of many of their own highly qualified maintenance staff and subcontracted the work to a "lowest bidder" in Singapore. In theory the work is carried out to the same standards but the aviation forums are awash with rumours about incomplete or incorrect work being discovered. I take many of these with a large pinch of salt, not least because the rumours often start from workers who saw their friends and colleagues laid off, but even if only a fraction are right then there are grounds for worry.

That said, I've never had any major problems the times I've flown with Qantas. The worst I can say is that they suffer a bit from "national airline-itis" which causes the service to be a bit off hand. Still, I'd much rather fly Qantas than with a good number of other carriers I've had the misfortune to try!

Bob

Guest proud2beaussie

I have read all the ATSB reports about all the recent incidents and not one of them can be put down to maintanance done overseas.

CASA issued a directive that Qantas conduct an audit of all it's engineers following the incident where an unlicensed person was allowed to work on some of it's aircraft and the result of it's audit and investigation have revealed no defective workmanship.

As for Tracy123 not shedding a tear if Qantas went under well that's ridiculous,Qantas is a major employer of Australians and if it wasn't around then not only would airfares be a lot higher but thousands of people would be unemployed.

And one last point,I read aviation forums too,but I also deal with Qantas on a daily basis and I have friends who are pilots,cabin crew and engineers with them and not a single one of them believes the rumours.

Archived