To the Ladies -Quilt covers/bed sheets/pillow cases/duvets etc

Stuju

Hi All

Just thought i would put a post on here about

quilt covers, duvets, pillows, pillow cases ,sheets, towels and all those household linen bits,

They are known here as Manchester (not sure why) but thought iwould let all you ladies know that i have personally found these items rather expensive here espec duvet sets, so maybe a good idea to stock up at debenhams,matalans etc before you leave the uk.

:wink:

Guest jonseywife

Cheers Gizmo

Can you tell me though, if I buy loads of Manchester :confused: (where did they get that name from I wonder ?????) to take to Oz...... can you get the actual quilt/duvets the same size over there, ie., can u get Ozzie quilts to fit UK king size covers or is it best the buy/bring quilts too??????

Thanks

Guest koala12

Hi

I have found bed linen, or Manchester as they like to call it here, rather expensive here unless you buy when on special offer at places like KMart or Target. It is very nice quality cotton though! I bought some with me but have also bought some since I've been here as I needed some new and we weren't sure which bed size we were going to buy as we didn't bring out with. Sizes are basically the same although they also have Queen size here which is in between double and king size.

Hi Jonseywife

Yes the quilt covers are the same size just about - king/doule/queen & single - the actual quilts are pricey bring your own

God knows where they got the name manchester from - i keep walking round the stores looking for Liverpool !!!! much prefer the kop to old trafford :biglaugh:

Guest kimdownie

Hi Girls I appreciate this post as i was going to get rid of most of mine.

what sort of TOG rating would you recommend, , could you all tell me where you live and whether it gets a lot colder at night

cheers

kim

Guest jonseywife

You beat me too it Kim...

That was my next question!!!!! :laugh:

Its great to get these tips, I was thinking about getting all new out there (for 6 of us would have been pretty pricey by the sounds of it) so cheers for the info ladies........... Ta !!!

Sally-Ann :wink:

We brought a mix of duvets with us tog rating 13 and less (some times espec august time it is a bit chilly at night) and remember houses here dont have radiators to warm up the bedrooms excepy maybe melbourne so im told, we did buy a couple of electric plug in radiators but onloy just take the chill off and expensive to run,

We are in New South Wales and its now autum - in the last week we have had mostly hot sticky nights with the fan on to keep us cool and no cover but yesturday the rain came and it was quite chilly and out came the tog 13

• 2 weeks later...
espec august time it is a bit chilly at night

A bit chilly? A bit chilly? It's freezing here!!! Well, not at the moment..it's 32C now, but come night in the winter it gets cold enough to need two duvets (doonas), let alone one 13 tog one! I'm moving to where Gizmo is. (Sorry Gizmo!:biggrin: )

Gizmo-Land is one of sun, chocolate and humour - and no Fat Boy Fat or Mrs Pee...sounds perfect!:yes:

Yours bag-packingly,

LC

Ok LC you are welcome here anytime - we not only have sun chocolate & humour but a pool of red wine !!! lol (cause we coudnt afford the water to put in it) of course the wine is very cheap here - havent met any fat boys or mrs peees yet

Guest SunnyWA

Ladies Ladies

Just buy a wool doona (medium weight) if you get cold. Wool keeps you warm in winter and cool in summer. 1 doona will be sufficient for both summer and winter.....I dont think they are badly priced, you can buy them when they are special at Target or K Mart for around $90.00 for a queensize.

• 2 weeks later...

from the heart of my bottom, thankyou!!! i'm soooo chufffed! cheaper!!! yayyyyy!!!!!!!!!

re Ikea.... I have looked at Ikea Logan (it opened when we were in Brisbane) on-line and compared the prices with Ikea Warrington (UK). Oz prices are way cheaper!!

Guest koala12

I had my first visit to Ikea in Sydney on Sunday - it was great although very busy and we thought the prices were good too. Only problem was a few of the things we wanted were out of stock so we'll have to go back for another visit but this time I might go in the week!

Guest Pasty

Hi

IKEA is as cheap over here as it is in the UK. I bought a double duvet set with 4 pillow cases for $30 the other day. Manchester is expensive so I bought loads of girlie stuff for my daughter and boy stuff for my son before we came and just took it out of the packets when we shipped everything. Manchester cos apparently that is where the heart of the cotton trade was in the north of england!! Why don't they just call it bed linen like everyone else does!

Beds are cheap here though, bought a new Queen bed with matress for $600 when we got here and bought a bed for my daughter last month for $140.

Jackie

Guest koala12

Hi Ellie,

What outlet in DFO Homebush sells bed linen at such good prices....I'll have to take a ride out there!?

Guest Impatient

That's it, you are all in trouble. Mrs Imp has already been out buying bed linen, and we are 3 years away from going!

Stop it now!

Hi Ellie,

What outlet in DFO Homebush sells bed linen at such good prices....I'll have to take a ride out there!?

Not quite sure if Sheridan has an outlet, but my youngest son buys all his bed linen there. He is very fuzzy and has got all his bed linen and towels, I think, there. Just go and have a good brouse. They have pretty much everything. If you go thro' the week it wont be so busy.:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived