SUMMARY: Spouse Visa Processing times OFFSHORE-UK. Please add your Stats.

Guest sr1992

Thanks everyone!

We were totally shocked to get it this early to be honest!

We used an agent and I deeply wish we hadn't, as they didn't add anything to the whole process.... after reading the forums on here we decided to send him a chasing email to see where things were and it was after that he replied saying its granted!

We got the usual 5-6 months turnaround from them at the start but what they did make us do was submit everything in one go, police check, medical, forms, stat decs, the whole file was submitted and received in Dec.

XxX :biggrin:

Hi,

Kind of new here and I expect this has been answered a few times now but quite frankly I find the idea of searching through 330 pages a little tedious !!

I am an Aussie who moved to the UK in 2000 after meeting my English (now ) Wife. We married in 2004, we have 2 kids 4 and 1. I know the kids are entitled to an Aussie passport and my Wife can apply for a spouse visa whilst offshore. I do not forsee any issues with having one granted (fingers crossed)

My question is - is it best to get the medicals and Police checks done first and send them off with the initial application?? or wait till we are asked for them... I kind of figure send them off in the first place to save some time ( not that we are in a great rush). Also should we get the kids their passporrts before we send the wifes application off to put some more weight to hers.

Lastly for the moment is there a timescale on the spouse visa where it must be activated in a set time ?? We have a house to sell and all the rest that everyone else has to do before we can set a date to leave etc.

any help would be appreciated.:err:

Guest Roary

Yes, you can go ahead and do police checks and medicals ASAP. They only say not to start them because they don't want you to spend the money if they don't think you'll get the visa. As you've been married 4 years and have kids this will be no problem. Some countries have police checks that take ages (I had to get a Canadian one done a few years back that took 4 months so you want to start early!). THat said, I have had it confirmed from AH that your application enters the queue from the date it is received, even if it comes without medical/police.

If time is of the essence send off for the police checks and book medical first of all, then do the application, and submit ASAP, the other bits can follow. If you have a bit more time you can get it all together and send it of

If you're waiting for your house to sell, I would hold off on getting your medicals and police checks until the Case Officer asks for them. Getting them sooner minimises the time you have to activate your visa - which could mean you need to make an extra trip to Australia before your house sells.

Guest Eragwyn

Firstly congratulations! Try not to allow the worry of this process spoil a very special time for you both. Are you and your partner separated whilst you wait for you visa? I'm sure you'll hear at the end of the week re a CO. I assume you let them know about your pregnancy? Might be worth a follow up email when you find out who is procesing you just to reiterate the fact and confirm your due dates etc.

My partner and I have a 7 month old so we're hoping they're more sympathetic to those with children who are separated from one or other parent too.

Good luck and enjoy the next 3 months - they're definitely the best time in pregnancy!:biggrin:

Thanks, we got our CO email today, they have requested he get the medical asap and we also found out he needs an Aussie police clearance as well due to being there for 12 months until October last year (thats 15 working days from when we get it to Canberra). Unfortunately we didn't see that on the original documentation.

We are very lucky that I have been able to secure a working visa and am waiting with him in the UK until he either gets the visa or the last date that I can fly...which is the 20th August...getting very close! We are loving the closeness that this has brought, and the CO knows about it...we included a few photos of our 12 week scan in the application itself.

We hope that everything gets us home to Australia in time for me to have the baby there!

Guest Eragwyn
Congrats both on the baby and the visa application being submitted, both great and life changing events! Unfortunately having young children or being pregnant is unlikely to be grounds for a faster visa grant timeframe. I'm also pregnant (20weeks, yay!) and separated from my OH while his visa is being processed.

From my experience we just accepted it was 5 months and have been focusing on the pregnancy, our goals for the future in Aus together and we're both working hard to save money for the little one! Time does go faster focusing on the positive rather than how long the visa is taking (although there are always difficult times).

Good luck and enjoy this special time xx

Thank you, and congratulations to you as well! Sorry to hear that you have been seperated whilst waiting for his visa, we are lucky enough that I will be here until about 20th August whilst we wait. I am due 29th September, so fingers crossed that we will be well on our way by then (thats over 6 months from date of application).

Everything we are working for here revolves around us getting his Australian visa, we will be gutted if things don't go our way, not just for us, but for our baby, and I don't really want to raise my lil Aussie here in the UK (not a slag on the UK, just want to be home!).

We are just assuming it will be 5-6 months, which takes us until 4th September, which will be okay - and even better if earlier!!! We are mainly focusing on saving money whilst I can still work (4 months to go!) and whilst we should be saving for the baby, we have a wedding in March to pay for before anything else.

Thank you for your kind words, and I hope that his visa comes through so that you can be together when your bub is born. Where in Australia will you be based?

Guest mjandmum
Hi,

Kind of new here and I expect this has been answered a few times now but quite frankly I find the idea of searching through 330 pages a little tedious !!

I am an Aussie who moved to the UK in 2000 after meeting my English (now ) Wife. We married in 2004, we have 2 kids 4 and 1. I know the kids are entitled to an Aussie passport and my Wife can apply for a spouse visa whilst offshore. I do not forsee any issues with having one granted (fingers crossed)

My question is - is it best to get the medicals and Police checks done first and send them off with the initial application?? or wait till we are asked for them... I kind of figure send them off in the first place to save some time ( not that we are in a great rush). Also should we get the kids their passporrts before we send the wifes application off to put some more weight to hers.

Lastly for the moment is there a timescale on the spouse visa where it must be activated in a set time ?? We have a house to sell and all the rest that everyone else has to do before we can set a date to leave etc.

Hi Belaroy

Best to get the kids their Aussie passports before you do the application else you'll have to include them on it. It really doesnt take that long to turn them around. My son's was done in less than a week when I was still in Oz but I cant imagine it would be too much longer from here. Once you have them all you have to do is add a certified copy to your wife's application.:yes:

Also should we get the kids their passporrts before we send the wifes application off to put some more weight to hers.

Hello,

I have recently submitted my application for spouse visa, and my CO wrote back to say that they will not continue with my application unless our daughter has been registered as Australian by descent, or we have an Aussie passport for her, so probably best to get those for your kids before you apply. Apparently it only takes a short time.

Jo :)

Guest Chimpy chops
Thanks everyone!

We were totally shocked to get it this early to be honest!

We used an agent and I deeply wish we hadn't, as they didn't add anything to the whole process.... after reading the forums on here we decided to send him a chasing email to see where things were and it was after that he replied saying its granted!

We got the usual 5-6 months turnaround from them at the start but what they did make us do was submit everything in one go, police check, medical, forms, stat decs, the whole file was submitted and received in Dec.

XxX :biggrin:

Congratulations Sparklesocks!

We have the same CO This gives us hope that we also might get an early grant... fingers crossed!! My Partner and I have lived apart since April 2010, it's so hard just waiting and waiting! Thank god for Skype ;)

We haven't got an agent like you have, we just got everything together and sent it off. I wonder if it makes a difference either way? I called our CO (Maria) a few nights ago to see if she could give us a date for the grant. She said it would probably be the 5-6 month wait like everyone else. Hmmmm :(

Guest Guest31881

Hi,

if you wish to mention a case officer please only use their initials and not their full name. I have edited a couple of posts to remove the full name. Please respect the case officers privacy as the email and information is private to you.

Thanks ....:biggrin:

Guest WaitingPatiently
Hi,

Lastly for the moment is there a timescale on the spouse visa where it must be activated in a set time ?? We have a house to sell and all the rest that everyone else has to do before we can set a date to leave etc. :err:

Hi Belaroy,

I agree with others, you should get the kids Aussie passports before submitting your wifes application so the partner visa will only need to be for her and it adds more weight to her case. I'd also hold off on the medical and police checks as I believe these determine the date of entry to Australia after the visa is granted and this will buy you time to sell the house and sort things for the move. Also this means you can submit her application earlier (and get in the queue) and getting feedback from the CO requesting the meds/police checks is a good sign you've met the relationship critera which is a nice reassurance while waiting (although it sounds like you guys defnitely meet the criteria anyway being married for years with 2 kids!). Good luck and keep us updated on your progress :biggrin:

Guest WaitingPatiently
Thank you, and congratulations to you as well! Sorry to hear that you have been seperated whilst waiting for his visa, we are lucky enough that I will be here until about 20th August whilst we wait. I am due 29th September, so fingers crossed that we will be well on our way by then (thats over 6 months from date of application).

Everything we are working for here revolves around us getting his Australian visa, we will be gutted if things don't go our way, not just for us, but for our baby, and I don't really want to raise my lil Aussie here in the UK (not a slag on the UK, just want to be home!).

We are just assuming it will be 5-6 months, which takes us until 4th September, which will be okay - and even better if earlier!!! We are mainly focusing on saving money whilst I can still work (4 months to go!) and whilst we should be saving for the baby, we have a wedding in March to pay for before anything else.

Thank you for your kind words, and I hope that his visa comes through so that you can be together when your bub is born. Where in Australia will you be based?

Hi Eragwyn,

Congrats on getting your CO. Glad to hear you guys are able to stay together in the UK until 20th Aug, that means you won't be apart for too long. We are only going to be apart for 3months or so as I had return to Aus for my job. I guess like us your partner can always come over on a tourist visa if it gets too close to the due date for the baby. We are very similar indeed, we're getting married in March 2012 too!! It was meant to be November 2011 but with the baby we put it back to give myself more time to fit into my dress and get rid of the bags under both our eyes from sleep deprivation haha.

By the sound of your case you meet the criteria for the visa so I'm sure it will all be fine. We were (unnessarily) worried too and almost planned to elope to Gretna Green if we couldn't find some evidence from when we first lived together but luckily we found it (online banking rules!) and we can have our planned Aussie wedding instead. I'm in Brisbane, where will you guys be heading?

I saw also your OH needs an Aus PC, we did the same thing and didn't realise we needed one. We were both in the UK at the time and it only took 3weeks (22days exactly) from sending it until we got the certificate which was a pretty good turn around. Biggest hassel was getting a cheque in Aussie dollars as I don't have a cheque book. We got a bank draft from HSBC (cost 20pounds though) or you can get someone in Aus to write a cheque for you maybe.

Good luck with it all and keep us updated xx

Guest Savannah1

Just got my Partner visa!!! So excited and booked flights already!

My timeline for others is:

Posted app 25th November 2010

Money taken 26th November 2010

CO assigned 30th November 2010 - meds and police check requested

Sent police and med 23rd December 2010

Early Jan - documents sent back including photos etc

Mid Feb - emailed CO (WP as JF on leave) and told 5/6 month

Visa emailed though today!!!!!

4 months and 2 weeks about.

Good luck to everyone who has to wait - it is worth it.

Guest dadoftwins

Congratulations Savannah, that's great news.

It just goes to show their is no consitency with AH timelines though. My wifes front loaded app submitted a week earlier and we're still waiting. It's got to be soon now!

Guest dadoftwins

It just goes to show their is no consitency with AH timelines though. My wifes front loaded app submitted a week earlier and we're still waiting. It's got to be soon now!

p.s. What are the initials of your CO?

Guest Savannah1

p.s. What are the initials of your CO?

Initially it was JF but then moved to WP and got approved by WP. Sure you will get yours soon.

Guest sarafin

JUST GOT MY VISA TOO!!!!! woooohooooo!

My timelines were:

Posted app 10h November 2010

Money taken the next day

CO assigned 16th November 2010 -no further info required

Called CO in February to find out I have a new CO, she then told me my application will be approved between 10th april and 10th of may

Visa granted today (7th April) by WP

Just under 5 months. Very happy camper today got flights booked to Sydney via Dubai and Bangkok for a few days on the 15th May!

Guest dadoftwins
JUST GOT MY VISA TOO!!!!! woooohooooo!

My timelines were:

Posted app 10h November 2010

Money taken the next day

CO assigned 16th November 2010 -no further info required

Called CO in February to find out I have a new CO, she then told me my application will be approved between 10th april and 10th of may

Visa granted today (7th April) by WP

Just under 5 months. Very happy camper today got flights booked to Sydney via Dubai and Bangkok for a few days on the 15th May!

Congratulations!!! My fingers are crossed for a hat trick of approvals today.

Guest sarafin
Congratulations!!! My fingers are crossed for a hat trick of approvals today.

Thank you!!! I have my fingers crossed for you also! :)

Guest Eragwyn
Good luck with it all and keep us updated xx

Hi WaitingPatiently,

We are getting married on 10th March 2012, in Perth. We are also planning on settling there as well. I have had to put off getting the dress due to that awesome little surprise due 29th September, but thats all good :)

The CO let us know today that she had the UKPC, so that would be okay, but we're going to get the Aussie one anyway, just in case. We have to get him into an appointment asap to get the medical and xrays done, so that they have everything as soon as possible.

We left a LOT of documentation at home in Aus as we were certain we had enough over here, I dug out EVERYTHING I could find with our address on it to prove that we lived at the same address within the last 12 months - our Lease wasn't enough evidence for the defacto visa. I am sending the copies off tomorrow (about 40 documents and envelopes), so there is plenty of time just in case that's still not enough.

Would love the PC to only take that long - we are sending that off in the morning. If I have to get a bank draft thats okay, as long as it goes through...I was thinking about going to the post office and getting a postal order (??).

Who is your CO? We have LG.

Thanks, and will keep everyone updated. Hope that you get your visa soon, seems like some people are getting them within 4-5 months.

xx

Congratulations!! I can only imagine the relief you are feeling now! :cute:

Guest WaitingPatiently
Hi WaitingPatiently, We are getting married on 10th March 2012, in Perth. /QUOTE]

Hi Eragwyn, We're getting married on 10th March 2012 too!! What a great date. Our baby is due in August, can't wait. So much excitement with moving back to Aus, baby and wedding. Who would have thought another family was having the same excitements around the same timeline!?!

The post office in York said they couldn't do a postal order in Aussie dollars which is why I went to HSBC as they have branches in Aus and our bank draft from there was accepted. OH did his medical in Manchester. It was good - booked in 2weeks, all done in 1hour, 300pounds and report sent to AH in 2 weeks:biggrin:

Our CO is SV, she gave us an estimated date on 14 June (5months) which we're happy with but might get my OH to email in May sometime to try our luck for an early grant, seems worth a shot. Good luck with the Aus PC and medical and hope your relaxing while growing that little baby. Take care x

Guest WaitingPatiently

Huge congrats Savannah1 and sarafin on your visas being granted!!! Dadoftwins I've got all fingers and toes crossed your wifes visa is granted in the next few days! Great news that some are coming through 4-5months, gives us all that little bit of extra hope for an early grant.

:jiggy::rolleyes: :biggrin: :tongue: :wink: :spinny: :smile: :wub:

So cranky... After waiting 3 weeks for Aussie police check to arrive back in the Uk and the silly f&$@ have spelt my fiancee's name wrong... Now we have to get another one done... What a waste of time. Feel like crying