Honeymoon is over.

Guest Yorkie1974

Guest smc01

I can't speak about Perth individually, as I've never been there, I am one of those from the east coast who has never ventured that far over. From what I have read on here, Perth does seem to be quite different to the east coast, maybe you could try visiting one of the east coast cities to see how it differs and if you think it could be the change you need.

It may just be homesickness, and craving a sense of familiarity, that makes it all seem worse than it is, or it may be that Perth really isn't the city for you, but I'd give it a bit longer before giving up, and at least try another city to see how it goes - Australia is a big place!

On your point about tax returns, yes, you do have to file one even though you are being taxed, but generally speaking it means you will get back $1-2,000 a year in a lump sum!!

Good Luck with whatever you decide, my advice would be to stick it out for a bit to see if the feeling passes!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheArmChairDetective
if you wanted to say everywhere is different then you should have avoided such sweeping generalizations and backed them up with facts or you should just have stuck to saying Australia is a diverse country and everywhere offers something different etc.

I find this comment to be rather pompous of you.

Thats because Australia doesn't have the population of Britain.

The above posted by the original poster well that is the reason things are different. We have less tax payers and also less people to use pay TV and all the things you miss from the UK.

We do not need a population like the UK either.

Sorry but why of why does Australia have to be like UK its not.

Please realise that Australia is a Commonwealth Country but that is as far as it goes and its not going to change for anyone.

Please stay where you are if you are not prepared for a completely different life.

I cannot believe how many people think its UK everywhere in the world its not. Get over it, I have.

Guest earlswood
I live and work in Perth and my business travel is Australia wide including Adelaide, Sydney & Melbourne and even those other less visited places like Qld and the NT. How about some factual based information instead of one person's perception/experience? .....Perth airport's travellers in a calendar year just topped 9 million see WA Today – Breaking News from Perth & Western Australia (6 March 09) and scroll down to the WA news section (just past the national and international news section - yes it has outside of WA news - wow); 6.2 million of those were interstate travellers.

Many of my fellow professionals not only deal with interstate companies but we headquarter some of the biggest and most successful such as Wesfarmers. I and other sit on boards as directors and travel interstate for those meetings.

Due to the fact that WA does in fact have internet access, yes, even broadband, and access to newspapers and magazines from around the world (I subscribe to many) as well as foxtel, it is not fair to say WA is isolated or ignornant of what's happening in Australia or the World.

The isolation tag is misleading - in distance to other cities - for those used to smaller countries - perhaps it is, but not to Australians who commute on planes like its a bus ride. Remember the UK is 1/13th the size of WA - what were peope expecting re distances?

It does take a particular mindset to appreciate WA - for those of us who genuinely enjoy work and want the professional challenges but do not want it to dominate our lives and balance it with actually having time to enjoy living, and particualry those who love outdoors (social or active) then this is a top spot. Those who want the buzz of the rat race, maybe its not for you or you have to stay long enough to aclimatise?

It's all horses for courses people but let's get some facts and balance into the picture instead of creating disquiet for those about to give it a go.

I for one feel like I am on holiday all the time since I got here in 1994 and it does make you happy/positive - no apologies for that - even in a recession I am positive as I do my daily walk/cycle/run with the dogs along this fabulous coastline. Before I go to the office and take a call from my clients in Sydney to organise my next visit to help them solve their business issues:laugh:

Cheers

Julia

What job do you do….wish I had time to holiday when I was there…6 days a week (45 - 50 hours) or more was just the norm for artisans and I was expected to work Saturdays on normal rates with no overtime, I found aussies lived to work and did not have the time to enjoy life…I am finding I have far more time with more money at the end of the day back here.

I find concentrating on style over content rather pompous of you!!!!:biglaugh::arghh:

I find correcting someone over either to be pompous ! so there.

Sadly, i do agree with the original poster of this thread, Australia is stuck in a time warp & i think it will be for quite some time to come, what is it they say "you dont miss it till you aint got it" how true even the simple things, but im still here in oz & will be for a while, just wish they would rocket into the right century !!!

stuju

It's good that you have tried it and made up your mind, and as one other poster said, you could take the rest of your time to just enjoy the holiday, maybe getting out and seeing a lot more of the country, not just Perth, which is different to other cities. As with all things in life, it depends on what you want. Time living in another country is always good experience, and sometimes treating it as an adventure, where you know you are going home eventually to where your heart and mind is, makes it easier to enjoy it. There are plenty of cheap domestic travel deals at the moment - perfect opportunity to take some 'weekender' breaks to other capitals in Oz. I wish you well wherever life takes you.

Sadly, i do agree with the original poster of this thread, Australia is stuck in a time warp

stuju

In relation to what?

Guest Guruju
What job do you do….wish I had time to holiday when I was there…6 days a week (45 - 50 hours) or more was just the norm for artisans and I was expected to work Saturdays on normal rates with no overtime, I found aussies lived to work and did not have the time to enjoy life…I am finding I have far more time with more money at the end of the day back here.

I am a self employed business consultant and I write business books and articles so I schedule my life around my work and often work off the back of my boat - a 25ft Bertram for all the boaties out there - off Rottnest or, due to Next G broadband from somewhere remote at my camper trailer. I also schedule meetings for after rush hour if I have to go into the City so I can have time with the dogs, and a leisurely brekkie before going out to work. Even when I worked for other companies as an employee I had flexibility - more than I did in the UK.

Guest earlswood
I am a self employed business consultant and I write business books and articles so I schedule my life around my work and often work off the back of my boat - a 25ft Bertram for all the boaties out there - off Rottnest or, due to Next G broadband from somewhere remote at my camper trailer. I also schedule meetings for after rush hour if I have to go into the City so I can have time with the dogs, and a leisurely brekkie before going out to work. Even when I worked for other companies as an employee I had flexibility - more than I did in the UK.

Oh Goody for you....but you do realise that 90% of us had to work bloody hard with little time for fun except for thye weekend with a bit of luck.

And then it bloody rained after being nice all week

Guest Guruju
Oh Goody for you....but you do realise that 90% of us had to work bloody hard with little time for fun except for thye weekend with a bit of luck.

Earlswood - I didnt become self employed till 2003 and up till then was an employee for eight years - so I do know what its like - hence why I became self employed......the thing is that in Australia the way that I live is possible, even if you are just an ordinary person like me.

Regarding the rain - as Billy Connolly once said - there is not such thing as bad weather just inappropriate clothing! I just buy gear that helps me get out there in the rain - it never stopped me in the UK so it doesn't stop me here either.

Julia

Guest Guruju
To the original poster.

You have to remember that Perth is basically a hub to the farming and mining industries.

Anyone who wants to check the real situation in WA/Perth should check the Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian Bureau of Statistics and look for catalogue number 13065 which is the 2008 snapshot of Western Australia on a range of things and one of them is industry employment - the top 5 industries and the '000 they employ are as follows (there's more than this in the list):-

1. Retail Trade employes 154,000

2. Property & business services 128,000

3. Construction 115,000

4. Health & community services 99,000

5. Manufacturing 98,000

Compared to mining 52,000 and agriculture, foresty & fishing 42,000.

There does seem to be a lot of myths/old data/misperceptions out there so those of you looking to come to WA/Perth please get factual information and don't totally rely on the opinions expressed on this site. I am not sure some people commenting even live in Perth, or if they did, it was a long time ago.

Cheers

Julia

Anyone who wants to check the real situation in WA/Perth should check the Australian Bureau of Statistics Australian Bureau of Statistics and look for catalogue number 13065 which is the 2008 snapshot of Western Australia on a range of things and one of them is industry employment - the top 5 industries and the '000 they employ are as follows (there's more than this in the list):-

3. Construction 115,000

5. Manufacturing 98,000

There does seem to be a lot of myths/old data/misperceptions out there so those of you looking to come to WA/Perth please get factual information and don't totally rely on the opinions expressed on this site. I am not sure some people commenting even live in Perth, or if they did, it was a long time ago.

Cheers

Julia

And most of the manufacturing and construction jobs are related to the mining industry......

3. Construction 115,000

5. Manufacturing 98,000

Cheers

Julia

And most of the manufacturing and construction jobs are related to the mining industry......

did you slip up there earlswood :biglaugh:

did you slip up there earlswood :biglaugh:

hahahahahahaha, :biglaugh:

Get away - much more free time, and weather fantastic for the free time too. Which country were you in? You certainly are not describing WA in general or Perth in particular. Not even Northbridge.

Guest Count Zero

That would never happen in England would it?

Guest 0405delboy
That would never happen in England would it?

In all fairness he was referring to someone who spends their time on a boat (a 25ft Big Bertha apparently) and who has long brekkies before swanning off to work, liasing with clients via the web from a campervan beyond the black stump!!!

Good for them but surely theyre in a minority. If I was a cashed up tycoon, Id be happy living in Darfur.........but Im not! (bad taste but hey and yes, Im green with envy!) :mad:

Guest Guruju
In all fairness he was referring to someone who spends their time on a boat (a 25ft Big Bertha apparently) and who has long brekkies before swanning off to work, liasing with clients via the web from a campervan beyond the black stump!!!

Good for them but surely theyre in a minority. If I was a cashed up tycoon, Id be happy living in Darfur.........but Im not! (bad taste but hey and yes, Im green with envy!) :mad:

Hi Delboy

I am not in a minority - Perth has a large number of self employed people (as does Australia generally - check out ABS stats) and we all do it for the lifestyle. For some its about being at home whilst their children are small and they get to have more engagement in their kids lives. Others like me, without kids, just ensure the lifestyle is there but with a more balanced work life.

Look, I am not rich in dollar terms but I consider myself to have a rich quality of life and that's due to being sensible on what debt I take on and not going crazy with real estate etc etc. I grew up in a council estate in the UK from a poor family, so no tycoons here:biglaugh:

My friends that do work for someone else and live near me have paid off their mortgages and have a boat and 4WD and the same lifestyle as I do - one is a security guard on $50k a year - so it is possible for anyone to achieve if they don't get suckered into catch up with the Jones' and focus on the material side of things.

The secret is simple buy an older suburb house such as a brick and tile 3 x 1 and don't live ocean or river front (talking Perth here not other states) so the mortgage is reasonable - where I am you can still get a great house on a nice sized block for under $300k - get a secondhand 4WD and boat and the go live the life.

It's only if people think a 5 x 2 McMansion and buying new things is the only option that they end up not having a life and having to work all hours to pay everything off and that to me is not the point of living here.

Cheers

Julia

Archived