Honeymoon is over.

Guest Yorkie1974

Guest Yorkie1974

Its been a while since I posted on here, but I'm now in Perth and been here 6 weeks. However, reality is now kicking in and the holiday feeling evaporated.

As much as I like quite a few things about Australia, there's quite a bit I don't like about it and alot of things I miss about the UK which only the UK does so well.

Lets not kid ourselves, the UK can be a pretty rubbish place with bad weather and a nation never happy with anything and cynical about everything. And thats what I miss. Australians generally are very optimistic people and pretty friendly apart from the minority of idiots who think they're Chopper Reid or think that Australia owes them a centerlink wage packet for being indigenous. There are also those who make it known that they are rebuplican and want to be independent from the UK.

The UK is years ahead of Australia with alot of things. Railways (Yes I said railways), TV programming - Foxtel is pretty dire compared to Sky which I believe are part of the same company, even pedestrian crossings... Perth ones give you about 4 seconds to dash across 6 lanes of engine reving traffic who set off as soon as the light turns green. You can even be fined for crossing the road too slowly. Britain is more politically astute and aware too. The press has more freedom in the UK to report their view on things whereas media here is limited. I miss the sour and sharp witty sarcasm that is British humour instead of the obvious slapstick americanised humour that Australians prefer. Attitudes towards women by Australian men in general are pretty shocking. As much as it was amusing at first, there is a serious undertone of the 'Carry On' era towards women.

I hate cockroaches, ants invade everywhere, the flies are really annoying in summer and graffiti and tagging is a major problem here. Crime is generic to any country but British police are definately on the ball in comparison to Australia.

The cost of living in some respects is cheaper but in other areas it can prove more costly. Don't forget, you pay for doctors, dentists and treatment over here and even with Medicare its an expense on the pusre strings. You only get free treatment under international agreements for necessary treatment i.e. emergencies. You pay school fees here too and tax can hit the wage packet. Even if you have tax deducted from your pay you still have to file a tax return.

The economic downturn is everywhere and even biting Australia. You may think 'Hang on a minute, not as many have lost their jobs and homes in Australia like the UK!'. Thats because Australia doesn't have the population of Britain. Mining, manufacturing, retail, its being hit here too.

Australia is a fantastic place to visit but to live and work?.... Its just not my cup of tea. I'm here for at least 2 years but I know I won't stay here. Perth is laid back but for me too laid back. Let me say this though, I don't regret coming here to give it a try. I'd regret it more in years to come if I hadn't tried it.

Give me old Britain any day of the week. - Thats just my perspective.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest TheArmChairDetective

Your take on the British Police handling tagging is way off the mark. It's a problem all over the world but hey they don't even know who banksey is (trust me they don't).

I think it might be fair to say that the reality of Perth fall short of your expectations. You should look towards Adelaide before you actually move back to this place.

Guest Yorkie1974

My comment on the police, is that British policing in comparison is far more proactive generally in so far as community officers / wardens on the beat. I wasn't referring just to graffiti or tagging. I cannot apply my trade in Adelaide as there is no facility to do so.

I've tasted Aussie life and its simply not for me. I will however see out my contract and look to return.

Guest treesea

Australia is a fantastic place to visit but to live and work?.... Its just not my cup of tea. I'm here for at least 2 years but I know I won't stay here. Perth is laid back but for me too laid back. Let me say this though, I don't regret coming here to give it a try. I'd regret it more in years to come if I hadn't tried it.

At least you have given it a go. Adelaide, Perth and Brissie are all relatively laid back. The "go go go" cities are Sydney and Melbourne.

You make a good point about the cosequences of the weather - i.e. insects unlimited moving in with you and on you. There's a lot of things I miss about Australia but the two things I don't miss at all are the insects and the weather.

My comment on the police, is that British policing in comparison is far more proactive generally in so far as community officers / wardens on the beat. I wasn't referring just to graffiti or tagging. I cannot apply my trade in Adelaide as there is no facility to do so.

I've tasted Aussie life and its simply not for me. I will however see out my contract and look to return.

I'm glad that you had the chance to taste life abroad.

I haven't seen a police officer/Community Support or a warden round my my for three years now. They don't walk the beat around here, they do drive though. The only time I see a police officer these days is when they are coming out of the canteen at the local Asda supermarket.:biglaugh:

I'm glad that you had the chance to taste life abroad.

I haven't seen a police officer/Community Support or a warden round my my for three years now. They don't walk the beat around here, they do drive though. The only time I see a police officer these days is when they are coming out of the canteen at the local Asda supermarket.:biglaugh:

Lol last one I saw

Was in the drive through queue at macdonalds! They rarely get out of their cars at all here. Unlike my ex-met son who was always on the beat

Guest earlswood
Its been a while since I posted on here, but I'm now in Perth and been here 6 weeks. However, reality is now kicking in and the holiday feeling evaporated.

As much as I like quite a few things about Australia, there's quite a bit I don't like about it and alot of things I miss about the UK which only the UK does so well.

Lets not kid ourselves, the UK can be a pretty rubbish place with bad weather and a nation never happy with anything and cynical about everything. And thats what I miss. Australians generally are very optimistic people and pretty friendly apart from the minority of idiots who think they're Chopper Reid or think that Australia owes them a centerlink wage packet for being indigenous. There are also those who make it known that they are rebuplican and want to be independent from the UK.

The UK is years ahead of Australia with alot of things. Railways (Yes I said railways), TV programming - Foxtel is pretty dire compared to Sky which I believe are part of the same company, even pedestrian crossings... Perth ones give you about 4 seconds to dash across 6 lanes of engine reving traffic who set off as soon as the light turns green. You can even be fined for crossing the road too slowly. Britain is more politically astute and aware too. The press has more freedom in the UK to report their view on things whereas media here is limited. I miss the sour and sharp witty sarcasm that is British humour instead of the obvious slapstick americanised humour that Australians prefer. Attitudes towards women by Australian men in general are pretty shocking. As much as it was amusing at first, there is a serious undertone of the 'Carry On' era towards women.

I hate cockroaches, ants invade everywhere, the flies are really annoying in summer and graffiti and tagging is a major problem here. Crime is generic to any country but British police are definately on the ball in comparison to Australia.

The cost of living in some respects is cheaper but in other areas it can prove more costly. Don't forget, you pay for doctors, dentists and treatment over here and even with Medicare its an expense on the pusre strings. You only get free treatment under international agreements for necessary treatment i.e. emergencies. You pay school fees here too and tax can hit the wage packet. Even if you have tax deducted from your pay you still have to file a tax return.

The economic downturn is everywhere and even biting Australia. You may think 'Hang on a minute, not as many have lost their jobs and homes in Australia like the UK!'. Thats because Australia doesn't have the population of Britain. Mining, manufacturing, retail, its being hit here too.

I agree with all your points and could have posted them my self......yes... you only realise what you had when you leave it...you do appriciate things you took for granted when you leave these shores....but hey at least you have tried it and got rid of that itch gal...:jiggy:

Guest AnnChovy

Normally I would try to post something positive but it is clear from your post that Aus is not for you. Still, you "won't die wondering". Maybe now that you have decided to leave you might be able to enjoy your remaining time. Hope so!

Guest t'n'g
Normally I would try to post something positive but it is clear from your post that Aus is not for you. Still, you "won't die wondering". Maybe now that you have decided to leave you might be able to enjoy your remaining time. Hope so!

Yes totally agree just enjoy the rest of your time in Oz!!!

Guest nikkichap

I totally agree with all your points. I am returning to the UK in May and since I have made the decision to return I feel much happier and I am going to make the most of my time (8 weeks). I was going to wait the two years and then return to the UK but I really need to feel alive. I feel as if the place is half asleep and I want to shake it and shout "WAKE UP".

That's Perth for you - but please don't make the mistake of assuming that that is indicative of the whole of Australia. It's like comparing Moss Side to Ambleside. Same country but two places that are worlds apart. Perth is very, very isolated. My experience of people from there - they have no idea of what is going on elsewhere in Australia, let alone anywhere else in the world. Whereas, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are much more closely linked, not only for travel but also for business. Most people in these cities, deal with people from "interstate" but it will hardly ever be anyone in Perth. Please don't judge you experience by your stay in a place that most Aussies don't even visit.

I really need to feel alive. I feel as if the place is half asleep and I want to shake it and shout "WAKE UP".

I feel a bit like that here. I feel asleep myself. I fel like I want to step outside for a breath of fresh air. But there is no fresh air outside. It's just even bloody hotter outside.

Sorry for the hijack, good luck with what you do yorkie.

Guest Guruju
That's Perth for you - but please don't make the mistake of assuming that that is indicative of the whole of Australia. It's like comparing Moss Side to Ambleside. Same country but two places that are worlds apart. Perth is very, very isolated. My experience of people from there - they have no idea of what is going on elsewhere in Australia, let alone anywhere else in the world. Whereas, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane are much more closely linked, not only for travel but also for business. Most people in these cities, deal with people from "interstate" but it will hardly ever be anyone in Perth. Please don't judge you experience by your stay in a place that most Aussies don't even visit.

I live and work in Perth and my business travel is Australia wide including Adelaide, Sydney & Melbourne and even those other less visited places like Qld and the NT. How about some factual based information instead of one person's perception/experience? .....Perth airport's travellers in a calendar year just topped 9 million see WA Today – Breaking News from Perth & Western Australia (6 March 09) and scroll down to the WA news section (just past the national and international news section - yes it has outside of WA news - wow); 6.2 million of those were interstate travellers.

Many of my fellow professionals not only deal with interstate companies but we headquarter some of the biggest and most successful such as Wesfarmers. I and other sit on boards as directors and travel interstate for those meetings.

Due to the fact that WA does in fact have internet access, yes, even broadband, and access to newspapers and magazines from around the world (I subscribe to many) as well as foxtel, it is not fair to say WA is isolated or ignornant of what's happening in Australia or the World.

The isolation tag is misleading - in distance to other cities - for those used to smaller countries - perhaps it is, but not to Australians who commute on planes like its a bus ride. Remember the UK is 1/13th the size of WA - what were peope expecting re distances?

It does take a particular mindset to appreciate WA - for those of us who genuinely enjoy work and want the professional challenges but do not want it to dominate our lives and balance it with actually having time to enjoy living, and particualry those who love outdoors (social or active) then this is a top spot. Those who want the buzz of the rat race, maybe its not for you or you have to stay long enough to aclimatise?

It's all horses for courses people but let's get some facts and balance into the picture instead of creating disquiet for those about to give it a go.

I for one feel like I am on holiday all the time since I got here in 1994 and it does make you happy/positive - no apologies for that - even in a recession I am positive as I do my daily walk/cycle/run with the dogs along this fabulous coastline. Before I go to the office and take a call from my clients in Sydney to organise my next visit to help them solve their business issues:laugh:

Cheers

Julia

Guest treesea
I totally agree with all your points. I am returning to the UK in May and since I have made the decision to return I feel much happier and I am going to make the most of my time (8 weeks). I was going to wait the two years and then return to the UK but I really need to feel alive. I feel as if the place is half asleep and I want to shake it and shout "WAKE UP".

Well that's the Dreamtime that Australia is so famous for. Quite a few of the people I talk to over here in the UK, who hear the Aussie twang and start to tell me their emigration plans, are looking for a more relaxed, chilled out, way of life. I've got a daughter born in Australia, and she is one dreamy kid.

It was a bit like reading one of my own posts!! We have found Melbourne to be very similar to what you describe. We have decided to move to Sydney soon. We have only briefly visited a couple of times but it just seems much nicer and all those problems you mention, although they are present seem to be much less 'in your face'. So... I agree with the advice to try somewhere else.

I live and work in Perth and my business travel is Australia wide including Adelaide, Sydney & Melbourne and even those other less visited places like Qld and the NT. How about some factual based information instead of one person's perception/experience? .....Perth airport's travellers in a calendar year just topped 9 million see WA Today – Breaking News from Perth & Western Australia (6 March 09) and scroll down to the WA news section (just past the national and international news section - yes it has outside of WA news - wow); 6.2 million of those were interstate travellers.

Many of my fellow professionals not only deal with interstate companies but we headquarter some of the biggest and most successful such as Wesfarmers. I and other sit on boards as directors and travel interstate for those meetings.

Due to the fact that WA does in fact have internet access, yes, even broadband, and access to newspapers and magazines from around the world (I subscribe to many) as well as foxtel, it is not fair to say WA is isolated or ignornant of what's happening in Australia or the World.

The isolation tag is misleading - in distance to other cities - for those used to smaller countries - perhaps it is, but not to Australians who commute on planes like its a bus ride. Remember the UK is 1/13th the size of WA - what were peope expecting re distances?

It does take a particular mindset to appreciate WA - for those of us who genuinely enjoy work and want the professional challenges but do not want it to dominate our lives and balance it with actually having time to enjoy living, and particualry those who love outdoors (social or active) then this is a top spot. Those who want the buzz of the rat race, maybe its not for you or you have to stay long enough to aclimatise?

It's all horses for courses people but let's get some facts and balance into the picture instead of creating disquiet for those about to give it a go.

I for one feel like I am on holiday all the time since I got here in 1994 and it does make you happy/positive - no apologies for that - even in a recession I am positive as I do my daily walk/cycle/run with the dogs along this fabulous coastline. Before I go to the office and take a call from my clients in Sydney to organise my next visit to help them solve their business issues:laugh:

Cheers

Julia

Hi Julia,

I am delighted that you appear to love Perth as much as I love Adelaide. I did say though that this was "My experience......".

I was actually trying to get the Original Poster to not give up on the whole country because of her 6 week experience in one place. I had a friend who felt exactly the same about Tassie in the 90's- we used to say to her Tassie is not like the rest of Australia (and before anyone jumps - I personnaly love Tassie too, lived there for 3 years - just loved Adelaide more). She moved to the mainland and has now been here 14 years and had a wonderful life - when she could very easily have gone back home.

Sorry if you took my comments the wrong way.

Guest Guruju

On how "backwards" things are and the insects....

The fact that some aspects of work life were not as advanced as I had been used to in the UK was actually an advantage - I had the answers to lots of things my employers had not faced before - made me very useful and help my career opportunities no end.

Please remember that Oz is a big country with only 21 million people on it; its located in a region that is nothing like the UK/Europe in terms of cultures, development or business. It is a young country and has only be going for a few hundred years. Maybe expectations need to be realistic before you get here - it is not Britain duplicated by a sunny beach.

You also have to give it long enough to understand that things change throughout the year. Those of you looking to come to Perth - we have 4 seasons in the southern half and two in the top half (wet/dry). Many of the expats I hob nob with think Summer in Perth is good but is probably the worst season out of the four due to the extreme heat on some days and the insects but living on the coast where the seabreeze actually comes in over your house tends to minimize the impact.

Insects are there but can be minimized though how the house is built, what you wear, fly/suncreens around outdoor areas etc etc.

Regards

Julia

Guest Guruju
Hi Julia,

I am delighted that you appear to love Perth as much as I love Adelaide. I did say though that this was "My experience......".

I was actually trying to get the Original Poster to not give up on the whole country because of her 6 week experience in one place. I had a friend who felt exactly the same about Tassie in the 90's- we used to say to her Tassie is not like the rest of Australia (and before anyone jumps - I personnaly love Tassie too, lived there for 3 years - just loved Adelaide more). She moved to the mainland and has now been here 14 years and had a wonderful life - when she could very easily have gone back home.

Sorry if you took my comments the wrong way.

I didnt take it the wrong way - you were factually incorrect - if you wanted to say everywhere is different then you should have avoided such sweeping generalizations and backed them up with facts or you should just have stuck to saying Australia is a diverse country and everywhere offers something different etc. It all depends on what people want from life and what expectations they had before they got here as to whether they feel any dissatifaction with the choices they made. So lets get the facts right so peope can make informed decisions.

I totally accept that Perth may not suit everyone - it is laid back - if people want to live like they did in the UK with a buzz about it then Sydney would be the first spot I'd try and Melbourne the next followed by Brisbane. It may be less of a culture shock.

Regards

Julia

:cool:6 weeks just seems like such a short time, it took me 2 years for Perth to feel like home and to stop craving things like Boots the Chemist and WH Smith (how silly it all seems now). Now I have no desire to even vist UK. In fact when visiting family, we like to arrange to meet somewhere in Europe.

Coming here is such a massive move and financial investment, I doubt many people love it over night.

I've just heard so many horror stories about people coming to Oz, going back to UK and then coming back again - what a kerfuffle! I guess I'm saying, give it more time. Good Luck!

Guest prettyinpink

I have to agree with Julia on this......and say that Perth isn't for everyone.

I'm sorry that Yorkie1974 feels it's not for them, is 6 weeks long enough to arrive at that conclusion, only you can tell?

I came from South Manchester, we had crime abundance, a very fluid community and were forever looking for that elusive break in life. We got ours and we're happy with it. Perth is exactly what we were looking for. But we feel like we've lead a hectic life, so the slower pace here suits us. It won't suit everyone.

It's been said before 'different horses for different courses'.

I hope everyone who makes the move out here manages to find their little bit of happiness........wherever that may be.

Good Luck Yorkie1974, I hope things look up for you soon xx

Been in Adelaide 8 weeks. Left the UK hating it and also not wanting Australia to be the same and more so not expecting it to be. So far we both love it. Sorry that you feel it isn't for you but try other places and as with any change in life they take time to adjust to, 6 weeks isn't a long time out of a life time.

Oh dear, OP, you have comitted the cardinal sin of saying something a little bit negative about Godzone country, tut tut! I dont know why people jumped on your thread basically telling you your opinions and feelings were wrong but, hey, there you go! It's not as if you were really blasting the place and I thought you were actually quite even handed and acknowledged that there were positives for you as well.

However, you arent far off the mark, you have been pretty astute for just 6 weeks of the honeymoon. I hope you will enjoy the rest of your time here and then you will really appreciate what you had and enjoy the going home even more.

Hi Julia,

I did say though that this was "My experience......".

Hi Kazz, I'm with you 100% on your comments.

The human being learns through the Experiential Learning Cycle. Therefore what you write about your experience must be fact.

Good on ya.

Hi Kazz, I'm with you 100% on your comments.

The human being learns through the Experiential Learning Cycle. Therefore what you write about your experience must be fact.

Good on ya.

Good point living in Australia is the only way you can experience ,the Australian way of life or each states perspective

Archived