Why are so many now returning to the UK ?

Guest lovediving

Guest lovediving

Honestly,

Is it the recession that is making up your mind or is it the adjustment that you cant get used to.

I have noticed an increase of people leaving and I have my own reasons but what is yours.

Regards

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donovan

LOL Eddie, but they ARE my hubby's sun glasses

Sorry Mate, I will go to Carrara market next week and get you a pair of cheepies

Sarah x

I think the amount of people moving here has risen so no doubt the amount moving back has risen too. You only need to look at this forum over the last 2 years and you will see how many more people have moved or are planning to move compared to the amount 4 or 5 years ago.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Cal is right, the ones who move back are still in the minority. I think they are really brave, they gave it their best and it didn't work out, but we only live once and we need to live life to the full so for some this is going home to be with their family or something familiar to them, something they have grown up with. Let's face it some people can't handle change, I know my in laws are like that, I don't think they will ever move from the town they were born in.

Guest proud2beaussie

Just my opinion (Sorry BowBrum) I think it's probably a combination of things,the recession which has started to bite,and that combined with those who just really don't like the place,and would have gone home anyway are driving the figures up,it will be interesting to compare this years figures against last years but I would say the recession would be a big factor-people just dont have the time/money to ride it out,shame but I think it's a reality.

Agree with Kate that those returning home are in the minority, our plan was always to try another part of Aus if we didn't like WA ... we once read a post of someone who was thinking of going home, they moved suburbs and it made all the difference to them. I think for some Aus isn't what they imagined, that leaving family and friends proved a bigger hole to fill than felt healthy. Just as we say to people, be selfish give it a go in Aus, if you truly don't like it then there is nothing to be gained from living your life feeling deperately unhappy, if going back to the UK restores the balance for you then you should do it.

Ali

Guest lovediving

Minority, where on this site or overall, i.e people that do not come on this site ?

Agree with Kate that those returning home are in the minority, our plan was always to try another part of Aus if we didn't like WA ... we once read a post of someone who was thinking of going home, they moved suburbs and it made all the difference to them. I think for some Aus isn't what they imagined, that leaving family and friends proved a bigger hole to fill than felt healthy. Just as we say to people, be selfish give it a go in Aus, if you truly don't like it then there is nothing to be gained from living your life feeling deperately unhappy, if going back to the UK restores the balance for you then you should do it.

Ali

Guest proud2beaussie

I think even in a booming economy you will always have some people for whom Australia is just not the right place and they move back,it's a shame but people being people it will always happen.

I am new on here, but have read many, many postings about the reasons people want to return to the UK, as I am in that position myself. I am just wondering whether there is an average age for the people that are wanting to go back, as this might be an indicator?

I am 53, have been out here for 11 years, and although I love Australia for many reasons, I have reached a point in my life where I need to decide where I want to be. I think this is a relatively 'normal' way to feel in one's 50's - and it's certainly the way my thoughts have been going for the last couple of years, if not more. I think for me, it's about where I want to 'end up' and when I ask myself that question, the answer is not Australia, much as I love it.

Perhaps there are more returning to the UK for similar reasons? Just a thought!

I think that a lot of people like myself,came over here thinking it was going to be something speacial,a laid back paradise of chilling out and a chance to wind down until retirement.

Then the reality hits them that they need to work just as hard if not harder than back in the UK.

Wages aren't as good as the UK,shops are worse,the Aussie attitude towards them gets a bit monotonous to say the least. Then theres the emotions of missing family and friends,it can just get too much for some people,especially if like us, they had a great life anyway back in Blighty.

There is no shame in returning,both places have their good and bad points,for us Scotland wins hands down,but I can see the attraction of a life in Australia also.

Guest kevin747
I think that a lot of people like myself,came over here thinking it was going to be something speacial,a laid back paradise of chilling out and a chance to wind down until retirement.

Then the reality hits them that they need to work just as hard if not harder than back in the UK.

Wages aren't as good as the UK,shops are worse,the Aussie attitude towards them gets a bit monotonous to say the least. Then theres the emotions of missing family and friends,it can just get too much for some people,especially if like us, they had a great life anyway back in Blighty.

There is no shame in returning,both places have their good and bad points,for us Scotland wins hands down,but I can see the attraction of a life in Australia also.

Totally agree. I return to Scotland in 13 days.Australia is 20 years behind the UK in many ways and whilst the sunshine ,bbq s and vino will be missed it is a pretty dull place culturally.

Most aussies can't count .This infuriated me on a daily basis.I'd prefer my children to grow up in a more intelligent country(in spite of its faults)

Guest treesea
I am new on here, but have read many, many postings about the reasons people want to return to the UK, as I am in that position myself. I am just wondering whether there is an average age for the people that are wanting to go back, as this might be an indicator?

I am 53, have been out here for 11 years, and although I love Australia for many reasons, I have reached a point in my life where I need to decide where I want to be. I think this is a relatively 'normal' way to feel in one's 50's - and it's certainly the way my thoughts have been going for the last couple of years, if not more. I think for me, it's about where I want to 'end up' and when I ask myself that question, the answer is not Australia, much as I love it.

Your post struck a chord for me. We returned to Britain - well, me, really, as my OH had never been here but doesn't come from Australia anyway, and my children were both born in Australia - when I was 45. And it was very like what you describe for me. It was the second time I lived in Australia, and we were 11 years in Melbourne. I came out when I was in primary school so have lived for long periods in both NZ and Oz prior to the latest stint. I just got the the stage where I realised the longing I had felt on and off for so many years wasn't ever going to go away. So I thought, well, either I go back now or forget about it. I got made redundant so overnight had the money to make the move a reality.

Though, having said that, I'm English, but we couldn't settle there. The lack of infrastructure and crowdedness, not to mention difficulties getting suitable work, got me down. The schools were really crowded, and the closest decent school we could get places in for our children was ten miles away.

After six months back, and travelling all over the UK, we decided to settle in Scotland. We do have family links here, so that helped. It's such a different world to England. More like the rest of Northern Europe in terms of standard of living - great schools, great health system, health and education the priorities above all else, fantastic quality housing, cities built right on the sea and to our surprise, very good weather.

• 1 year later...
Guest The Ropey HOFF
i have not left the uk yet but have freinds in aus who love it have jobs but are struggling but they love there life there now

This thread is two years old mate, the folk who were going back to the uk have probably gone back and realised their mistake and returned to Australia again. lol:laugh:

This thread is two years old mate, the folk who were going back to the uk have probably gone back and realised their mistake and returned to Australia again. lol:laugh:

Nah, I think they found life again and so dont need an internet board to have a great time!

Nope, stuck in the a*se end of the world (thank you Paul Keating)

Oh....Hmm, well thank you for the information re: Occupational Psychologists on another thread (career and jobs; Counselling jobs)...Org/Occupational Psychologist route is where I want to go...so thanks!

You seem to provide alot of useful info and advice....

[quote name=Murra;437429

I am 53' date=' have been out here for 11 years, and although I love Australia for many reasons, I have reached a point in my life where I need to decide where I want to be. I think this is a relatively 'normal' way to feel in one's 50's - and it's certainly the way my thoughts have been going for the last couple of years, if not more. I think for me, it's about where I want to 'end up' and when I ask myself that question, the answer is not Australia, much as I love it.

I couldn't agree more . I fall into that age group , and after 23 years in Australia , it still isn't home, for all the reasons mentioned in other posts. When I left the UK my parents were in their late 50's , for some reason I thought they would never get old and need help . Now in their 80's . they are old and need my help more than ever . So I suppose there are many like me who may return for family reasons , and at last throw away those rose tinted specs , take off the blinkers and see the real World .. " Blood is thicker than water " as the saying goes , and it certainly is in my case ... Having said all that though , I now have Aussie Grandchildren , and I don't think I could do the same to my family here what I did to my family back then , so it looks like I will be staying here at least in the short term ..

Dave C

Oh....Hmm, well thank you for the information re: Occupational Psychologists on another thread (career and jobs; Counselling jobs)...Org/Occupational Psychologist route is where I want to go...so thanks!

You seem to provide alot of useful info and advice....

I do my best!

Good luck with the psych route - guess you have checked out the AHPRA link then, that's the most useful. Not sure how many vacancies there are for organizational psychs. Most of the ones I know in that stream are federal government employees and that is going to be out of your realm for 4 years at least PsychXchange : Job Search is another starting place

I couldn't agree more . I fall into that age group , and after 23 years in Australia , it still isn't home, for all the reasons mentioned in other posts. When I left the UK my parents were in their late 50's , for some reason I thought they would never get old and need help . Now in their 80's . they are old and need my help more than ever . So I suppose there are many like me who may return for family reasons , and at last throw away those rose tinted specs , take off the blinkers and see the real World .. " Blood is thicker than water " as the saying goes , and it certainly is in my case ... Having said all that though , I now have Aussie Grandchildren , and I don't think I could do the same to my family here what I did to my family back then , so it looks like I will be staying here at least in the short term ..

Dave C

Blood is thicker than water Dave .......but its a bloody damn sight harder walking the walk , than talking the talk

My mom is in her 80s now ......iam the youngest of 3 brothers .

We came back here to look after Mom in 94.......we are doing well now , but it hasnt been easy .

We left interests back in Oz ,and obviously expected my brother to look after them ......has he ? ......has he b......cks .

We nearly lost everything over there .......whilst we are here looking adter OUR mother .

Dave .......theres going to be FIREWORKS .

Could i leave my mother alone in england ? ......i dont think so

I do my best!

Good luck with the psych route - guess you have checked out the AHPRA link then, that's the most useful. Not sure how many vacancies there are for organizational psychs. Most of the ones I know in that stream are federal government employees and that is going to be out of your realm for 4 years at least PsychXchange : Job Search is another starting place

Thank you very much Quoll!! This is great! I pm you.

Thanks again!

Guest sh7t man no way
Honestly,

Is it the recession that is making up your mind or is it the adjustment that you cant get used to.

I have noticed an increase of people leaving and I have my own reasons but what is yours.

Regards

i think a lot of people return to the uk from australia,because its been advertized as living the dream,and to some its not--its a very expensive place to live/immigrants are put well down the employement chain/houses are expensive/to some its a boring place to live/and theres seems a lack of idenity,and after a while of living in australia some people realize this,and return to the uk--poorer but a lot wiser

Archived