Why are so many now returning to the UK ?

Guest lovediving

Guest guest30038
Chris995.

May I suggest firstly you get that massive chip on your shoulder off asap. Yes, you are entitled to post your thoughts, of course you are. But no matter what is said, the 'inference' from your 'cerebral' comment was once again thinly veiled as an 'opinion', when in reality it was a direct attack on those that 'may' enjoy the sun and surf, and if they do enjoy this aspect of Australia they are somewhat inferior to your imagined higher intellect.

He's not the only one Tony.

The overall impression that I get from many members who have left, or want to leave Oz, is that they seem to think that the "sun, surf and sand gang", or the "rose tinted spec brigade" are in some way intellectually challenged.

Many of the posts from these members seems to infer that they have some kind of superior intellect, and that anyone who cannot "see" what they "see" must somehow have low expectations of life, or have a bogan mentality.

If they adopt a similar attitude towards the "natives", it's no wonder that they don't "fit" here or get "the buzz" :rolleyes:

personally, I'm buzzing all the time, but then again, my IQ's only 34 :rolleyes::biglaugh:

And whilst we're at it, why is the same mob always so quick to claim that us intellectually challenged morons are sooooooooo defensive about Oz. Does a differing opinion, qualify for being "soooooooo defensive" inside their superior noggins? :rolleyes:

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I don't think intellect has anything to do with it. The simple fact is what's one persons paradise can be another persons hell. Although I do find it strange that people who absolutely love Australia and have no desire to return to the UK would waste time Reading and actually posting in the MBTUK section of the site? I understand everyones entitled to post wherever they choose as I say I just find it strange.

Guest guest30038
Personally I don't think intellect has anything to do with it. The simple fact is what's one persons paradise can be another persons hell. Although I do find it strange that people who absolutely love Australia and have no desire to return to the UK would waste time Reading and actually posting in the MBTUK section of the site? I understand everyones entitled to post wherever they choose as I say I just find it strange.

People post because in the past there's been many outrageous statements published in this section regarding Oz and Aussies. Unfortunately some members illustrate their negative experiences as being indicative of Astralia, and Oz as a whole.

A "fair and balanced" view is what is required, as those with negative experiences often like to tell those who have positive experiences.

I know of 2 persons who posted of their imminent return to the Uk in this section, who subsequently changed their mind and are now quite happy here in Oz. Who knows? Perhaps it was the positive posters in this section, who eventually swayed them to stay?

But isn't one of the reasons people post on these forums that they can vent frustration and share experiences with other people in a similar situation. Of course people who don't likeliving in Australia are going to post the negatives they are experiencing, I don't think anybody is stupid enough to think that what they are experiencing is indicative of the whole of the country and that because they don't like it here nobody else possibly could.

I still can't see why you think it's a duty to try and balance the negative posts, in a forum which will obviously get more negative posts as that's basically what this section is about.

Guest chris955

I agree, it's very strange indeed.

Intellect has nothing at all to do with it, I can only post from a personal point of view and say we are looking for something more stimulating and cerebral. If sensitive souls want to take it to heart and take it as a personal slight then I guess it's their problem in the end.

Guest guest30038
don't think anybody is stupid enough to think that what they are experiencing is indicative of the whole of the country

You reckon?

There's many a poster on PIO who have stated that they're worried about coming here because of what they've read in this section. Now that's fine, if what they've read is factual, like the state of the sausages or the price of bananas, but if it's like some of the sweeping generalisations made, such as "Australians are racist" or "You won't get a job here 'cause Aussies look after their own", then these statements need to be counteracted in fairness to the potential migrant reading.

Guest guest33730
I'm not sure basing a move to the other side of the world on Internet forum posts is the best start to be honest

What a ridiculous thing to say - no one is saying people 'base' there whole decision on an internet forum. But it is a useful tool for the 40,000 members and few hundred thousand regular readers to do research and read opinions from those who have done it. Of course they need to be aware of the pitfalls as well but the sweeping generalisations from both sides of the debate don't help anyone.

Daniel

Guest guest30038
I'm not sure basing a move to the other side of the world on Internet forum posts is the best start to be honest

Why exactly? Don't people research their move? Look at immigration sites, job vacancies and their conditions of employment? Holiday brochures etc?

Why should a forum such as this be any less informative? If anything, it should be better informed as it's members are "living the life", or wanting to.

Looking at sites such as this may not be relevant to the initail desire to move but once the decision is made, or partially made, it is a mine of information and the desire to move may well be strengthened, and what is gleaned here may become the deciding factor. eg If I wasn't on this forum, and 3 others (at least) hadn't read my posts, then they wouldn't have had an avenue to my wife who has susequently been able to secure a job for them. "Them" being individuals who's deciding factor in coming here was the allying of their fears about employment.

Guest minniemouse

We are retirees on 410 visa. we have just learnt that this visa means we can get no assistance when we become old & infirm. hence we are thinking of returning to Uk while we still feel fit enough at &) to adapt to a new home etc.

But I think you're not giving people enough credit. I'd like to think people have enough intelligence to know when someone posts 'Australians are racist' they realise it's a mass generalisation and they realise that it's not a fact, it's a rant on a website.

Also when chris writes that he wishes for something more cerebral he is not saying everyone who likes Australia is thick

Guest chris955

Hallelujah, I was beginning to think there was an invisible message between the lines of my posts. :laugh:

Also when chris writes that he wishes for something more cerebral he is not saying everyone who likes Australia is thick

Guest sh7t man no way

Ive heard so many times people going back to UK and with in months realised they had made a mistake and were better of here and come back, very very common.
and good luck to them mate--perhaps they need to go back to the uk as a reality check--the ping pong theory is quite confusing to me,and to me causes heaps of stress,and is to some point a waste of time--either you like something or you dont

and good luck to them mate--perhaps they need to go back to the uk as a reality check--the ping pong theory is quite confusing to me,and to me causes heaps of stress,and is to some point a waste of time--either you like something or you dont

What's Liz Hurley's parrot got to do with it ?

Guest paulwbafc

I have made heaps of friends here and about 1 in 8 move back, usually they move back glad to be with family again but miss australia too. I have re-visited the uk twice and on both occasions was homesick for australia once i caught up with everyone. Britain just seems to be in a right mess and I know people whom work for regional councils and no money is been spent and will be so for years to come. Australia's cost of living is rising and property is vastly expensive here. So some people do struggle here too. It's a global thing. But government debt is vastly smaller to the uk. Also one thing about the uk is its overpopulation. The UK can only self-sustain 15 million people. Over that it relies on food and energy from abroad. Australia can feed itself and has its own resources which a lot gets exported to china. 50 years of prosperity are forecast for here and unemployment is close to full employment at just over 5%. Below 5% is classed as full employment due to students etc. I am happy here, miss football and family. But Australia is the place to be without a doubt. In the uk its all work and stuck indoors. No life in uk.

Guest chris955

I know it is expected but I agree, we certainly weren't stuck indoors when we lived in the UK and had much more of an active social life. I think sometimes the country gets blamed when it is in fact down to other factors.

You see this is where we differ, I had much more of a life in the UK, and I never remember being stuck indoors! But I have been stuck indoors in Sydney both due to excessive heat and torrential rain.

I agree, stuck inside here far more than UK. You can always rug up against the cold and wet if necessary but there is no escape from the heat and several hot sweaty sleepless nights dont do much for your well being either. In UK I am always out and about and still havent christened the down jacket I took over there with me early last year despite having two cold season holidays.

Also, have never found that many friends here. Lots of acquaintances for sure but very few of them survive the test of time unlike those I have from my developmental years in UK. Most friendships seem to be workplace or leisure activity based and very few are still there when your circumstances change and even fewer are the "call at 3am" kind.

Guest peacock

Well I,ve never heard anybody saying there living the dream in England, most just say there surviving, with the highlight being a week in Benidorm to see the sun

Guest chris955

We are the opposite, we have some incredible long time friends that would do literally anything for us and are exactly the same when we meet up again 5 or more years later. Again of course we are all different and meet these friends at different times and in different countries.

I`m the other way. I have found truer friends here. I have the `3am` friends here that I didnt have in UK.

Well I,ve never heard anybody saying there living the dream in England, most just say there surviving, with the highlight being a week in Benidorm to see the sun

Yeah everybody in England just trudges around 'surviving' waiting for their 2 weeks holiday in Benidorm :biggrin:

Anyway what the hell is 'Living the dream' like there is one universal dream that we all share and long to live out???

Archived