NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

There is much confusion why state governments have visa available and why nursing is on the SOL list. Unions are in talks with government. Ahpra are registering overseas nurses from other countries, US Phillipines Canada recently. anmac have been in talks with ahpra. diac have been asked why give visas when applicants are not yet Registered with Ahpra and many given pos skills with ANMAC and now have PR status have actually been refused registration with Ahpra as the cases with nurses from many EU countries in the past few months.

Still does not make poor customer service from AHPRA acceptable.

If the hold on registering UK nurses is purely down to lack of demand for nurses and unemployed Australian new grads, why then are they still processing applications from non-eu trained nurses? If the objective is to protect aussie jobs for aussies then surely they should just put a complete hold on all international applicants?

Edited by lounrich

You guys shuold see it from my side trying to deal with the NMC and they have taken all fees then refused registrations as well. Took 8 months!! I cannot get through to anybody that knows anything and get the run around to see what I can do to be registered, been given no pathway options nothing...they seem to be annoyed at overseas nurses and when I tell them I am british they make comments that its a pity I was not educated over there :mad: so much for the NMc from an overseas point of view.

We can see it from your side Ceridwyn, we are going through exactly the same stress, I hope you see that? Even to get to the AHPRA stage many of us have been through Medicals, ielts, police clearance checks, and so much more! And some have been waiting in excess of 8 months! But all I'd say to you, is keep at it, if it's what you want, it'll be worth it in the end! I certainly wouldn't tell you everything that could go wrong, In fact I have had the pleasure of meeting quite a few lovely Aussie nurses in my job! So it must be possible! Good luck.

Edited by geordiegirl68

So sorry, just wanted to put the other side to the story and perhaps protect the Aussie side of things. NMC rejecting Aussie educated nurses has been past 3 months, thank you all for kind comments, there is no unwritten right to be accepted into Australia as a British subject and they (Australians) are not uneducated numb bums and inferior that come across in most of these forums. Perhaps I need to stay put! goodbye.

I guess also the thing to remember is that it isn't only UK nurses who are trying to get registered, AHPRA will have hundreds of applications per week from all over the world. I appreciate that it's frustrating having to wait, but they will be dealing with a lot of applications, added to May being the time that all registrations are due for renewal.

This is not an Aussie v Brits discussion so I'm not sure why you are taking it down that road, in fact I think we all agree that they should not be offering PR to overseas nurses, and letting people spend thousands on getting visas, if there is no intention to let us work in our trained profession when we arrive. We are all being treated poorly as trained professionals if we are not being dealt with fairly, whether it be by the NMC or AHPRA.

So sorry, just wanted to put the other side to the story and perhaps protect the Aussie side of things. NMC rejecting Aussie educated nurses has been past 3 months, thank you all for kind comments, there is no unwritten right to be accepted into Australia as a British subject and they (Australians) are not uneducated numb bums and inferior that come across in most of these forums. Perhaps I need to stay put! goodbye.

Do you think we'd be working so hard to come and live there, if that's what we thought? ?

This is not an Aussie v Brits discussion so I'm not sure why you are taking it down that road, in fact I think we all agree that they should not be offering PR to overseas nurses, and letting people spend thousands on getting visas, if there is no intention to let us work in our trained profession when we arrive. We are all being treated poorly as trained professionals if we are not being dealt with fairly, whether it be by the NMC or AHPRA.

I think this is directed at me - I'm not taking it down any road, just pointing out that there are a lot of people affected. My history and years on the forum should assure you that I don't really engage in the Aus V UK debacle. I'm a senior nurse who convenes panels for recruitment and understand your frustrations - just pointing out something that sometimes gets forgotten (in my experience). People can take it on board or ignore it ... that's the nature of the forum.

No not directed at you Ali, but at the previous poster who seemed to think that I think Aussies are 'uneducated numb bums'. I was not suggesting anything like that in any of my posts and just wanted to make that clear. It is about professional bodies acting professionally, not a who's best competition. In fact I'd be the first to admit the NMC are woeful at their role and should not treat Aussie trained nurses so poorly.

Edited by lounrich

No not directed at you, but at the previous poster who seemed to think that I think Aussies are 'uneducated numb bums'. I was not suggesting anything like that in any of my posts and just wanted to make that clear. It is about professional bodies acting professionally, not a who's best competition.

I think what she was saying was that's how she thinks we view Australians! That's why I put what I did on, as if we would be working so hard to get there if we thought there were any truth in that? So much emotion on here, I see the forum as a way to support each other, not to have us scared silly about our future prospects.

I think what she was saying was that's how she thinks we view Australians! That's why I put what I did on, as if we would be working so hard to get there if we thought there were any truth in that? So much emotion on here, I see the forum as a way to support each other, not to have us scared silly about our future prospects.

I saw it that they were having the exact same frustrations at trying to register with the NMC ... and all registration bodies struggling to deal with applications.

I saw it that they were having the exact same frustrations at trying to register with the NMC ... and all registration bodies struggling to deal with applications.

And we can understand those frustrations as we're all in the same boat.

I know, it's awful isn't it, that's what I said to Ceridwyn, keep at it, we are all stressed by this, and not to let it keep her from her aim of getting to the UK! I think she was taking out her frustration by telling us all we had little hope of getting registered, we need positivity on here. As for the NMC, under no illusion about their efficiency, and threatening to put up our fees again!! For what?

Edited by geordiegirl68

I know it must be hard but people just need to sit tight. My wife submitted her application to AHPRA in march this year and is waiting for a decision. With the new criteria's coupled with the fact this is probably the busiest period for AHPRA. I dont think things will gather much momentum at the minute and the wait will continue. It is too easy to get perplexed when no news is forthcoming and then you come on here and read different folk airing their problems it just adds fuel to the fire. The fact that ANMAC are still giving positive assessment results and visa's are being issued must say something. I keep reading that there isnt a shortage of nurses but a quick look on seek jobsite tells me otherwise. There seems to be a ridiculous amount of jobs for nurses and midwives, there are also recruitment drives going on in the uk and ireland. cheers Ned ps Keep the faith and try to be patient guys.

So...Ahpra have confirmed via Twitter that all overseas applications are indeed forwarded to Sydney office regardless of original destination to ensure 'fair processing'. They have also responded to other Tweets saying the 'backlog is clearing' regards processing times. So....we'll see.

Geordiegirl - reading the other tweets Ahpra also say the 'first cohort' will be getting decisions soon. Surely you and a few others fall into that category!! There have been a barrage of tweets over the weekend re: overseas nurses.

I've just looked at it Kelly! I'm hopeless with twitter, it confuses me ! Mine went in just before the new criteria in Feb, but some on POI have been waiting since last year, so hopefully we'll see some movement soon, fingers crossed! 

Hopefully one of those being processed will be mine. Considering they've had it since November 2013.