NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

yes it is on their new criteria list as needing evidence of completion . i dont have the amount of hours broken down but have pharmacology listed on my uni syllabus, im hoping this is enough evidence for them

the letter i've received off them requesting further information says "please provide evidence of satisfactory completion and/or assessment of the study of medication management, including drug calculation, pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics. Evidence of successful completion of a pharmacology subject as part of your studies is insufficient".......so asked the university to provide this for more.

i have just had a panic after reading about the AQF assessment.... I sent off my apprication in August 2013 and more information In September which the University

sent straight away and all was recived. I spoke to my Registration Officer on the 10th and he did not mention any of these changes and he just said " your application is waiting to be finalised, there is no time frame for this and we will be intouch" its sooo annoying.

pass? but if that's what they want that's what i'm getting sent to them! apparently the transcript saying 'pharmacology studies' is not enough so back to the Uni for them to tell AHPRA i did pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics & drug calculations!

how frustrating .... it seems alot of duplicating of information going on however .. nursing is full of that , no wonder unis get fed up with our requests . for example , if your uni transcript or syllabus says it on it , what difference to Ahpra does it make being stated on a different letter / piece of paper make when they already have it ? I am past trying to understand the rationale behind their repetitive requests.

Edited by Toodolou

the best thing was, in my letter (that i received on the 20th Feb Australian time) it stated that if i didn't get the required info back to them by the 19th Feb (the day before i actually received the letter) i would be assessed based on my 'insufficient evidence' :arghh:

just waiting to see if the uni can provide that info, if not i'll try the NMC and if they can't..............game over i'd imagine!

nooooo ! keep going ... i am doing same with my uni at moment , and if it means a trip to them and sit next to them whilst they do it , thats what i will resort to! they have the info somewhere ... dont give up . its hard i know!

just spoken to the NMC about the verification letter for proving that my nurse training was approved and accredited by them and they said "we have just been made aware of the changes via email from AHPRA, we are currently having conversations with them about criteria 3 as we believe that we already provide this information to them when we verify that you are a UK registered nurse and provide the certificate of good standing and so we believe that this is a duplication and therefore not required".........so now stuck in an argument between the NMC and AHPRA.......you've gotta laugh!

i think whoever is in charge at Ahpra needs a good shake up . How can they come up with these new standards and want so many duplicate of info . The NMC are right so hopefully they will sort out this issue . They provide a letter of good standing , a letter of verification of registration ..... and they provide accreditation of UK nursing courses or nurses are unable to register and work in the UK . Ahpra shouldnt want the same info on 3 different bits of paper , and then the same info from the Uni ... its bloomin frustrating !!!

Don't know how you're managing to keep your cool Harby88!! I can't quite believe how difficult they're trying to make things. I've only just posted my application off & have asked for my docs to be forwarded from ANMAC. Will wait for the onslaught of extra proof I've to try & get!

Don't know how you're managing to keep your cool Harby88!! I can't quite believe how difficult they're trying to make things. I've only just posted my application off & have asked for my docs to be forwarded from ANMAC. Will wait for the onslaught of extra proof I've to try & get!

this isn't worse of it, we've already had the eligibility letter once but due to unforeseen circumstances couldn't make the ID check within the 12 month period (Sept 2013) and so had to apply again, so thought would do in August thinking it took no time at all last time.......and then they move the goal posts!

latest email conversation with AHPRA case officer........

Dear Iain,

Thank you for your email.

We are aware that this is a new requirement requested of the overseas nursing authorities and a dialogue between the NMC and AHPRA is in place.

Hopefully this will be sorted as soon as possible, however I note your attempt and have noted this email with your application.

and my wife has just received the 'request for further information' email asking for evidence for criteria 2, 3 & 8

how /what exactly do Ahpra want you to provide as evidence , if uni letters /transcript/ syllabus , nmc letters, job references are not enough for them ? what do they want you to give them ?

Hi All,

having recently been granted our 175 visa after a very long 5 year wait my wife who is a registered childrens community nurse in the UK with over 5 years experience and a degree (secondary applicant) needs to apply to AHPRA to be registered, she is in the process of filling out the paperwork but just want a run down on on the process, as she already has a granted visa is it just a case of sending off the paperwork with references and copies of her UK registration, would she need to validate the application in person in Aus? We are planning a trip in May this year and would like to do have her registration completed by then so we don't have to make a second trip out before we move hopefully January next year,

we are also looking at either Sydney or Perth and hopefully somewhere close to a hospital

thanks in advance :-)

She will need to apply and when she recieves letter of eligibility she will have 12 months from that date to go in person to the office in aus to activate...doesnt make a difference about visa.

Thanks for the info any idea how long it takes for the letter of eligibility once the application has been lodged?

it varies, it can take 6 to 12 wks or longer. it might depend with how busy they are, or if your paperwork is not in order or even where you sent your application.

There is a thread entitled "Whats happening in AHPRA if you want to read more.

Thanks for the info any idea how long it takes for the letter of eligibility once the application has been lodged?

Mine took 8 weeks from sydney office...I have seen ppl on here who are still waiting after 6 months! If u get all documents correct first time round it will stop hold ups

I guess she can't actually apply for jobs before the application is finalised, chances of getting a job offer will probably be quiet slim?

Hi guys, I'm a newbie who is considering moving to QLD to live permanently with my family. As a nurse trained in the early 90's I'm a little worried by talk of Bridging, Pharmacokinetics, IELTS not to mention course transcripts etc. A brief look at the AHPRA website seemed to suggest a Brit passport and 5yrs UK education (secondary/tertiary/vocational) would negate the need to sit English exams (IELTS, OET). Don't think I fancy a series of exams to prove my worth. I'm now finding out it seems to be the Australian way in all aspects of immigration: jump through expensive hoops which are obscured by smoke and mirrors. Vague to say the least, no wonder there are a myriad of agents making money on this! Any thoughts?

Hello, I am hoping someone can answer this query for me please. I had my nursing documents assessed by ANMAC and received a letter of determination, unfortunately I did not read which code they had assessed me under and it appears it is now different to my visa application. My case officer has queried that my LOD states Registered Nurse (Paediatrics) and my visa application is Registered Nurse (Critical Care and Emergency). I am a registered nurse who works within the Neonatal Intensive Care unit, I am not paediatric trained so i cannot understand how they can put me down as a paediatric nurse. Looks like by CO may refuse my visa!!! i have contacted ANMAC for them to change the code immediately but no luck at the moment. Any advice?

Yes ahpra only need you to prove uk education in english, no ielts needed....but if you get your skills assessed by anmac before registering with ahpra as many ppl do you will need a full sklls assesment and that includes academic ielts test. When initially looking at visas etc it looks like a mountain of ridiculous hoops and information overload that will never make sense but for me it has all come together, I understand how it all works now and to keep everyone safe and ensure the right ppl emigrate I think some of these things need to be done...im not using an agent just lots of reading and research. The ielts is just ensuring you have a good understanding of the english language which is obviously important in nursing. I dont know why you would need to do a bridging course and nmc can help wth transcripts if your uni cant. Dont be put off straight away! ;)

Hi guys, I'm a newbie who is considering moving to QLD to live permanently with my family. As a nurse trained in the early 90's I'm a little worried by talk of Bridging, Pharmacokinetics, IELTS not to mention course transcripts etc. A brief look at the AHPRA website seemed to suggest a Brit passport and 5yrs UK education (secondary/tertiary/vocational) would negate the need to sit English exams (IELTS, OET). Don't think I fancy a series of exams to prove my worth. I'm now finding out it seems to be the Australian way in all aspects of immigration: jump through expensive hoops which are obscured by smoke and mirrors. Vague to say the least, no wonder there are a myriad of agents making money on this! Any thoughts?