NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

Hello Im just about to send all my documents to ahpra!But I cant make up my mind and pick one office!Maybe Perth or Melbourne?I would appreciate any advice! Which one is faster? Thanks in advance!

People used to always say that but I went sydney anyway and got result in 8 weeks which I was happy with..they always answered the phone and emails and were very helpful. ..I think it depends on individual cases (and maybe some luck!)..some people might argue that the bigger offices do more and so are more resourced and efficient...we could argue the workings of ahpra all day though lol who knows. .just wanted to stick up for sydney ;)

Asked for an update on my registration and they sent me the exact words there are in the website. No timeframes, new regulations and applicants will be informed if new documentation needed. Seriously!!!! This registration takes ages and it does not make sense. Or you are in or you are out.

Sounding a bit more positive now the dust has died down i think?

I've discussed with Aussie healthcare recruiter who doesn't think having a diploma will be an issue as it is considered equal to Aussie bachelor degree.

Also received my email from AHPRA 12th February to say they've recived my application - so I at least know it's made it there safely!

Fingers and toes crossed that the rest of the process runs smoothly!!

email conversation with my case officer.........

Good morning Iain

Thank you for your email. I am aware you have had discussion with Cathy and she has basically told you as much as I know. The letters have been drafted for sign off and I have been advised that you should receive yours either today or tomorrow by email in the first instance. I do not know what the outcome is as the letters were assigned to other team members to facilitate a speedier process due to the sheer volume of work this end.

I hope for a positive outcome for you.

Does anyone know how long it takes before you receive a full ahpra registration pin number after presenting yourself in the ahpra office for final registration.

Thank you in advance.

I received mine later the same day via email and then it arrived in the post a few days later too

Edited by xlornax

I received mine later the same day via email and then it arrived in the post a few days later too

Thank you xlornax. I went to brisbane office monday 17 february and they promised same day but am still waiting. I have already rang them a couple of times but they said they are still assessing. Am getting worried they will ask for something else when I have already left to go back to uk.

I've just read something about AHPRA request evidence for pharmacokinetics!

Is this correct??

I did cover this module in the nurse prescribing course but not in my gen adult nursing course. Have they added this to the nurse training now? It's 6 years since I qualified.

I hope you guys do get sorted. I really feel for you all.. But keep positive!

I finally got registration through on 22/01/14

my paperwork went into them in July 2013 !!

it was the most stressful time I've had in years as I was in melbourne from beginning of November.

So no job, little money and perm residency that does not help with finding ANY work to keep me going until APHRA could finally sort my registration.

Ihave been nursing over 20 years and a midwife over 10 never had any problems with my registration in uk

also be warned, employers do not take British trained staff or even reply to your application so don't go there if you haven't got ££££

in the bank to back you up cos you be a long time waiting and your heart will sink many times. It got SO bad that I have returned to UK

sadly australia not all it's cracked up to be.

Good luck guys. But be very careful what you wish for.

I finally got registration through on 22/01/14

my paperwork went into them in July 2013 !!

it was the most stressful time I've had in years as I was in melbourne from beginning of November.

So no job, little money and perm residency that does not help with finding ANY work to keep me going until APHRA could finally sort my registration.

Ihave been nursing over 20 years and a midwife over 10 never had any problems with my registration in uk

also be warned, employers do not take British trained staff or even reply to your application so don't go there if you haven't got ££££

in the bank to back you up cos you be a long time waiting and your heart will sink many times. It got SO bad that I have returned to UK

sadly australia not all it's cracked up to be.

Good luck guys. But be very careful what you wish for.

I'm really sorry to hear things didn't work out but hope you get some comfort in knowing you tried & for some reason it wasn't meant to be. Good luck with your future in the UK.

got a letter emailed from AHPRA today asking for more information to be sent to them for criteria 2 (University Accreditation) criteria 3 (NMC Accreditation) and criteria 8 (evidence of successful completion of pharmacological subject as part of your studies is not sufficient, they want it breaking down more)

on a plus note, no mention of any of the other criteria which can only mean that the god old UK Nursing Diploma IS the equivalent of the Australian Bachelor Degree!

got a letter emailed from AHPRA today asking for more information to be sent to them for criteria 2 (University Accreditation) criteria 3 (NMC Accreditation) and criteria 8 (evidence of successful completion of pharmacological subject as part of your studies is not sufficient, they want it breaking down more)

on a plus note, no mention of any of the other criteria which can only mean that the good old UK Nursing Diploma IS the equivalent of the Australian Bachelor Degree!

on a plus note, no mention of any of the other criteria which can only mean that the good old UK Nursing Diploma IS the equivalent of the Australian Bachelor Degree!

But you sent them the detailed transcript already no? what do they need more? I cannot understand.

But you sent them the detailed transcript already no? what do they need more? I cannot understand.

pass? but if that's what they want that's what i'm getting sent to them! apparently the transcript saying 'pharmacology studies' is not enough so back to the Uni for them to tell AHPRA i did pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics & drug calculations!