NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

I think they are setting up a similar situation for nurses/midwives as they have for tradesmen/women. Were by you get PR with skills assessment but cant work until you have the relevant australian qualifications. It seems they are out to make some extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s and the goal posts get moved once more.

I think they are setting up a similar situation for nurses/midwives as they have for tradesmen/women. Were by you get PR with skills assessment but cant work until you have the relevant australian qualifications. It seems they are out to make some extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s and the goal posts get moved once more.

deep down I think so too! it always boils down to money .

that's my understanding as well re UK HE Diploma being equivalent to the Australian Bachelor Degree (without honours) whereas our Bachelor Degree with Honours is equivalent to their Bachelor Honours Degree..........suppose we won't know until either UK Diploma nurses start getting LOE or start getting refused registration.......

Fraborg01, this must be so frustrating for you! It's so unfair of them to do this with no warning! I'm about to send off the stuff for my skills assessment but I'll not be going any further until there is some clarification! A 3 month bridging course isn't do bad but if the expect to charge up to 16000 dollars that will be a non starter for a lot of people, it's not feasible! An anxious wait for alit if people! Hope the answers come in time for you jetting off to oz! It's another stress you don't need!!!!

just looked at the bridging courses , you have to be onshore and they consist of things like a drug calculations test, correct hand washing! 6-8 week placement , essay and info on ethics/ Ahpra/ anmac etc... up to $16000 for this?

I'm insulted, do they think uk nurses don't have to get 100% in drug calculations before they qualify, or are taught correct hand washing?

the bridging courses appear to be accredited by ANMAC so surely ANMAC would recommend this on your LOD when doing your skills assessment if it was needed to register?

looked up the australian nurse diploma which is only 18 months in duration and qualifies them as enrolled nurse only . can't see how they can match uk nurse diploma with this at same AQF level.

Guest IHR Nursing

We are currently getting AHPRA applications back in 5-7 weeks at the moment, Which offices are you sending your applications to?

Adelaide and Sydney are notoriously slow and always have been, If anyone is in desperate need to speak with someone at AHPRA PM me and i'll forward you a direct dial number as opposed to going via the 1300 switch number.

As for the changes, We queried this at an AMRANZ meeting in December and came to the conclusion that it is mostly scare tactics in that if you are working as an RN in the UK, Are NMC registered you WILL get registration with AHPRA. You won't have to go on a bridging course or take any extra exams so don't worry!

AHPRA only started back up at full capacity (Whatever that means) after Australia day meaning that they have only really been working for 2.5 weeks so far this year.

As I said anyone with any really urgent and pressing questions please feel free to PM me as our registrations consultant speaks to AHPRA day in day out pushing our nurse rego's through.

IHR Nursing......i do believe you are a Godsend putting that up :biggrin:

we've got ours in with Sydney (since August), last i was told (verbally) was "all component parts have been confirmed all that's outstanding is your final ID Check which you have to do in person at an AHPRA office".....which i'm still not sure they actually meant! and that was before they released this new info on their website. Still no LOE though and really concerned that the job offers will disappear soon if they don't sort something out!

Guest IHR Nursing
IHR Nursing......i do believe you are a Godsend putting that up :biggrin:

we've got ours in with Sydney (since August), last i was told (verbally) was "all component parts have been confirmed all that's outstanding is your final ID Check which you have to do in person at an AHPRA office".....which i'm still not sure they actually meant! and that was before they released this new info on their website. Still no LOE though and really concerned that the job offers will disappear soon if they don't sort something out!

If you're at the final ID check stage then you're fine, You should have received your LOE by now though really, Might be worth asking them to send you a PDF copy as by the sound of it you are AHPRA Eligible,

If you are planning on moving to Sydney and doing the final ID check there the office os on George Street on World square, All you need to do is provide them with your Passport, PDF of your LOE (Which they should email to you) and proof of address.

For proof of address if you havent got anything, Nip into the Commonwealth bank in World square and open an account with the address of where you are staying, Then once you've done that ask the banker to provide you with your proof of address, The staff in there will know the procedure as they have heaps of nurses asking for the same thing prior going up to AHPRA in the same building :)

Looks like you are pretty much there now!

Guest Guest 47403

My wifes registration was sent to the Hobart office (figured it may get processed faster) we had confirmation of receipt last week and they asked for a new Certificate of good standing as the one from her skills assessment was over a year old (all docs were forwarded to APHRA)

The email stated that once that was received assesment will take 4-6 weeks.

Given that our work account got deleted I just wanted to make sure everyone had an update as to whats going on at AHPRA

I've just had another AHPRA Eligibility finalised up in Darwin. Submitted on the 16/12/13 and eligibility sent by email today.

Please stop worrying, everything will be fine and applications are coming through albeit slowly from the larger offices but they are still coming through.

I will leave this here once again :)

(VIC)

(03) 8708 9108

(03) 8708 9071

(TAS)

(03) 6281 7921

(03) 6281 7905

(NT)

(08) 8901 8507

(03) 8901 8514

(WA)

(08) 6141 6010

(08) 9220 2103

(QLD)

(07) 3149 4645

(07) 3149 4637

(ACT)

(02) 6195 2607

(NSW)

(02) 8071 2001 or 07

(SA)

(08) 7071 5518

(08) 8366 5527

If you can't get through play around with the last digit of each number to reach a different extension but you will bypass the huge queue's on the main national number.

Under NO circumstances let anyone know that you have dialed them directly as they will put you back in the Queue, If anyone asks how you go their number tell them you have been transferred from the switch!

Hope this helps put some minds at rest and also helps you all actually get to speak to someone at AHPRA :)

Anyone who hasn't submitted their applications yet and is about to Send it to Darwin, Sydney and Melbourne are slow, SA seem to keep asking for random things that simply aren't required.

Good Luck!

Hi cdb.......i rang AHPRA a couple of nights ago and got put through to a Cathy Smith, Professional Registration Officer........she wouldn't really tell me anything except for "you've been assessed, you will be getting an email letter shortly that will tell you the next steps" she wouldn't confirm or deny that the UK HE Diploma is the equivalent to the Australian Bachelor Degree.......she just laughed a lot and kept saying "i can't tell you over the phone i'm not allowed"......we've been waiting since August 2012 via Sydney office......it is like water torture!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and already finding all the posts on this thread and others the best source of information out there! Thank you!

It's terrible to hear of the delays and problems so many people are having in getting their registration...we'll get there in the end it's just so slow!

I'm an RN in Scotland looking to move to Perth basically ASAP but just at the beginning of my journey. So many things to think about.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about at the moment is that I received an email from WA Health saying that AHPRA were currently only issuing LOE valid for 3 months as opposed to the previous 12 months! I haven't been able to find any more information about this and was hoping somebody on here might know something?? Obviously this makes things even more difficult if I would have to present in person to finalise registration and there would be no guarantee I could make it to Australia at 3 months notice when my LOE could arrive at any time.

Hi cdb.......i rang AHPRA a couple of nights ago and got put through to a Cathy Smith, Professional Registration Officer........she wouldn't really tell me anything except for "you've been assessed, you will be getting an email letter shortly that will tell you the next steps" she wouldn't confirm or deny that the UK HE Diploma is the equivalent to the Australian Bachelor Degree.......she just laughed a lot and kept saying "i can't tell you over the phone i'm not allowed"......we've been waiting since August 2012 via Sydney office......it is like water torture!

sound like they are enjoying it too , she was laughing ? really glad she finds something funny .., but ssshhh its a secret! ?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the site and already finding all the posts on this thread and others the best source of information out there! Thank you!

It's terrible to hear of the delays and problems so many people are having in getting their registration...we'll get there in the end it's just so slow!

I'm an RN in Scotland looking to move to Perth basically ASAP but just at the beginning of my journey. So many things to think about.

The one thing I'm a bit worried about at the moment is that I received an email from WA Health saying that AHPRA were currently only issuing LOE valid for 3 months as opposed to the previous 12 months! I haven't been able to find any more information about this and was hoping somebody on here might know something?? Obviously this makes things even more difficult if I would have to present in person to finalise registration and there would be no guarantee I could make it to Australia at 3 months notice when my LOE could arrive at any time.

Maybe they meant that u would have to re registrar in May as ahpra year may to may(or June to June can't remember) here's hoping anyway