NURSES - Moving to Australia

Guest JoanneHattersley

good luck . takes the longest time to get all docs together and certified doesnt it ? my docs are with anmac now and hopefully iwill get assessment done end of this month . uni transcript / syllabus info .... after numerous emails / visits and £85 lighter my uni info still is not as aphra would want it , so i will be asking nmc to send info for me.

That's awful! I've just read the update on AHPRA website from 10th February, stating that "Your overseas qualification is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (registered nurse) as a minimum", on the AQF website the advanced diploma is a level 6, whereas the bachelor degree is a level 8. Will this change things for diploma registered nurses already registered and working out there? What about the years of experience us diploma nurses have gained, regardless to the credits we lack?!

That's awful! I've just read the update on AHPRA website from 10th February, stating that "Your overseas qualification is equivalent to an Australian bachelor degree (registered nurse) as a minimum", on the AQF website the advanced diploma is a level 6, whereas the bachelor degree is a level 8. Will this change things for diploma registered nurses already registered and working out there? What about the years of experience us diploma nurses have gained, regardless to the credits we lack?!

where on the aqf website can you see what level is what qualification , I can't seem to find anything except 'about AQF' page. what is the point in an Anmac assessment for then if Ahpra listen to AQF instead?

where on the aqf website can you see what level is what qualification , I can't seem to find anything except 'about AQF' page. what is the point in an Anmac assessment for then if Ahpra listen to AQF instead?

I know - i found the link to the AQF pretty useless. I clicked on the home link and downloaded the AQF second edition document. It's on page 17 or 18 I think.

I didn't go through ANMAC, just wanted to get my registration sorted with AHPRA and then apply for jobs with 457 sponsership. This feels like an unbelievably massive spanner thrown in the works!!

I've posted an enquiry on the AHPRA website but don't hold out much hop[e of a usefull answer. Looks like diploma qualified nurses may only be eligible for enrolled nurse registration.

I know - i found the link to the AQF pretty useless. I clicked on the home link and downloaded the AQF second edition document. It's on page 17 or 18 I think.

I didn't go through ANMAC, just wanted to get my registration sorted with AHPRA and then apply for jobs with 457 sponsership. This feels like an unbelievably massive spanner thrown in the works!!

I've posted an enquiry on the AHPRA website but don't hold out much hop[e of a usefull answer. Looks like diploma qualified nurses may only be eligible for enrolled nurse registration.

thanks , have looked . it appears that they will assess it as a level 6 so will refuse registration and refer / recommend a bridging program for advanced diploma nurses. ( however level 6 is based as a advanced diploma 1.5 - 2years on aqf) uk nursing diplomas are 3years full time at uni not a 2 year college course!! still very ambiguous and unclear , so who knows?

Just reading through these posts! Really feel for all those awaiting AHPRA reg! It's bad enough the application itself never mind finding out this news. Hope you all get sorted. Is AHPRA asking for diploma nurse to do bridging programme or is there no news yet?

it seems that way , but a few pio nurses have asked Ahpra and they state they are still accepting advanceddiploma nurses. unless they just aren't being truthful by stating ' yes we accept overseas diploma trained nurses but we will refer you for bridging programs before we give you full registration . the AQF they refer to is unclear because a level 6 is a 2 yr advanced diploma of any course, I don't know of any nursing course in uk less than 3 yrs full time.

i know it just doesnt make sense, 'diploma' is such a loose word for a qualification . you could probably do a 2 yr course in stamp collecting and get a diploma in it , however uk nurse diploma is 3 yrs full time equivalent ( and only a couple of essays away from bachelor degree level) and has been previously assessed as equivalent to australia bachelors in nursing level. so im hoping ( because i have nurse diploma) that this level 6 AQF is not the case . I did the nurse diploma over the bachelors because of the nhs bursary they gave me to do it and this helped because i had children . it just goes to show theres not much in it when nurses in the uk diploma or bachelors get paid starting pay at same level when they qualify and get NHS nursing jobs.

have ahpra got your application? i am planning for 189 visa so ANMAC have my bits at the moment . i just wonder what will happen if ANMAC accredit it as australian equivalent of bachelors, and AQF give me a level 6 ... effectively i could get a pr visa for being a nurse , live in oz , but not get registration as a nurse so find a different career in oz ? you would hope with all these delays in changing their 'assessment model' Ahpra would have ensured the process was clearer!!

Edited by Toodolou

Hi, I submitted to AHPRA Nov 13 and feel like we are in limbo.

My ANMAC states that my diploma (completed 2001) is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor Degree.

I don't know if it meets AQF level 7 http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/ which would pass

or level 6 http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/ which would require bridging courses

As far as I understand it Diploma nurses are accepted but may require further study before full registration is granted

sorry, that was for enrolled nurses, this is for Registered Nurses

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International/criteria-nurses.aspx

Yes I saw it, it says that diploma is not accepted anymore for registration. In addition I was reading another blog and they were saying that alot of nurses are being refused registration and they have to do the bridging, which by the way is way expensive. I got worried. :(

Hi, I submitted to AHPRA Nov 13 and feel like we are in limbo.

My ANMAC states that my diploma (completed 2001) is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor Degree.

I don't know if it meets AQF level 7 http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/ which would pass

or level 6 http://www.aqf.edu.au/aqf/in-detail/aqf-levels/ which would require bridging courses

As far as I understand it Diploma nurses are accepted but may require further study before full registration is granted

oh no sorry to hear your in limbo , what does Anmac say about the level of AQF?

oh no sorry to hear your in limbo , what does Anmac say about the level of AQF?

i doubt Aphra would clarify as it can still be money making for people to pay the fee of application , surely ANMAC who are specifically about 'nursing qualification assessment should be right over a general body 'AQF' , as it is ANMAC diac use not AQF

Hi all! Just reading through all of your posts regarding the new APHRA confusion. First I've heard of it all, but have to say if it turns out diploma nurses have to do 3 year bridging programme this will be a massive stumbling block for me. Can't afford a 3 year course til I start to earn as a registered nurse! I qualified 10 years ago doing the diploma but I've since done a post grad degree in child health (im a childrens nurse) through work as they want us all to have our degree. Would this degree give me the correct level of qualification to register straight away as a nurse or not? A registered migration agent who looked at my qualifications said that immigration look upon the nursing diploma from the uk the same as a degree, so it seems ridiculous that APHRA wouldn't!!

Arghhhhhhhhh!

Edited by Bouncy

Hi all! Just reading through all of your posts regarding the new APHRA confusion. First I've heard of it all, but have to say if it turns out diploma nurses have to do 3 year bridging programme this will be a massive stumbling block for me. Can't afford a 3 year course til I start to earn as a registered nurse! I qualified 10 years ago doing the diploma but I've since done a post grad degree in child health (im a childrens nurse) through work as they want us all to have our degree. Would this degree give me the correct level of qualification to register straight away as a nurse or not? A registered migration agent who looked at my qualifications said that immigration look upon the nursing diploma from the uk the same as a degree, so it seems ridiculous that APHRA wouldn't!!

Arghhhhhhhhh!

it should be i would think you do have a 'degree' now , did you speak to a migration agent before or after the ahpra changes? i think the bridging programs are 12 months generally and would cost a fortune in oz! to top up from diploma to bsc here in uk is generally 1 year , 4 modules at between £750 - £1000 a module ( most are only 4 days teaching ) ... its a joke! how does a couple more essays make you a better more competent nurse? if bridging courses were 3 yrs , it would be just as well to do my whole nurse training again as that would be 3 yrs and probably alot cheaper !

im flabbergasted and hopefully we will start getting some answers from ahpra by peoples experiences soon. im keeping my fingers crossed they will be positive ones!

What I do understand is that bridging program is 3 months or so. The thing is from other blogs I ve seen that people with bachelor degrees were referred to bridging too. So I hope thats not the case. They should update us, those that already have their application in progress. This waiting does not make sense without updates. Hope that everyone keeps updating the forum at least so we will know what is happening.

Arghhhhhhhhh!

On no!!! Bouncy it's just an absolute disgrace! How can they say a 3yr diploma is not enough!!

I did the degree but had friends on the dip! & they have just as much knowledge & exp as me! It's so annoying!

Hi practicenurse, its madness isn't it!! Hope your getting in well out there!! Hi Toodolou, I spoke to an agent about a month ago to check I could claim more points for diploma, that's when they said it was equivelant for immigration. If they have a shortage of nurses why would they make it so difficult, so frustrating! Hi Fraborg01, 3 months is not as bad but still madness and expensive I bet. I wonder if it's this difficult to register as an overseas nurse in the uk!

As I understand the UK diploma is equivalent to a Australian bachelor degree. I think AHPRA need to be a bit clearer. This could throw a massive spanner in the works as I currently have my PR visa and flights booked but still waiting on registration. I am 10 weeks away from getting my degree but I emigrate in 12 weeks so all my paperwork to prove my degree won't be through till September time.

Still don't really know what's gonna happen. As usual I await a response from AHPRA

Hi practicenurse, its madness isn't it!! Hope your getting in well out there!! Hi Toodolou, I spoke to an agent about a month ago to check I could claim more points for diploma, that's when they said it was equivelant for immigration. If they have a shortage of nurses why would they make it so difficult, so frustrating! Hi Fraborg01, 3 months is not as bad but still madness and expensive I bet. I wonder if it's this difficult to register as an overseas nurse in the uk!

Its way expensive. They say its from 10000 to 16000 dollars!!!!! The thing is that they are still giving permanent visa on diplomas I think. They shoud make an agreement together AHPRA and ANMAC cause it does not make sense that they give you the permanent visa because you are a nurse than they block your registration. We will end up working as a waiter than. pffff. I am from Malta, I got uk registration. It took me a year but because I was not in a hurry. (eventually I did not use it). Its not that they were thinking of refusing me but I had to send different papers all the time and I applied as a diploma nurse at that time. Now I applied with the bachelor degree but I do not know if its like the australian degree as they say and their assessment is taking ages. In another blog there were people saying that they got to do the bridging although they have a degree too. pfff this lack of information is killing me. I am leaving to oz in a month time and I want to know where I stand. I emailed to my case officer but she is on leave till next week. So cannot do much!!

Fraborg01, this must be so frustrating for you! It's so unfair of them to do this with no warning! I'm about to send off the stuff for my skills assessment but I'll not be going any further until there is some clarification! A 3 month bridging course isn't do bad but if the expect to charge up to 16000 dollars that will be a non starter for a lot of people, it's not feasible! An anxious wait for alit if people! Hope the answers come in time for you jetting off to oz! It's another stress you don't need!!!!

it's absolutely ridiculous that people get can visa , even a postive nurse skills assessment with ANMAC ( specifically for nursing and midwifery) and then be held up at registration. Either your nursing skills are equivalent to oz or not , you should get a failed skills assessment if they want you to do a bridging program not a positive one. I have emailed Ahpra about AQF levels and clarification in regards to ANMAC positive skills assessment but I'm not holding out much hope of a clear reply , they usually respond in riddles!

I'm frustrated and haven't even applie to Ahpra yet , but do feel very sorry for those in limbo at the moment .... bet Ahpra are being inundated with phone calls... let's hope they have decided to be consistent now with the process.