Thinking of taking house off market

TaniaColin

I have begun to feel quite negative about Australia for the last few weeks now, especially since more and more people are struggling to find work out there.

When we started our visa process back in 2007 things were quite rosy, but since then we seem to have hit a downwards spiral.

We applied for our visa back in March 2008 and we were told between 4-6 months but obviously it has gone on alot longer, although i did have to get my consent order sorted.

Our house has been on the market since July 2008 and although we have had plenty of viewings, we just haven't had that one person to buy, we have reduced it by £12,000 which we can't afford to do.

I have tried to weigh up all the positives and negatives, but the negatives certainly outweigh the positives, at the moment we are both working and paying very little mortgage here, where if we did get to Oz, i just think it would be to hard for us, if it was just Colin and I then i could cope, but not with 4 children to provide for aswell.

So i think we are going to ride it out in this Country and see what happens.

Good luck to anyone else in a similiar position

Tania X:no:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi to the andrews,

we as a family are going in 4 weeks and i am not bothered in the slightest about the recession

or comments made on this sight.

People always post the negatives of any situation

and the positive people just get on with it

hope this helps

ian

Hi Tania Well havent been on here for ages as i've had no internet, finally managed to get dial-up until they sort the speedy internet out for me lol

Tania we have been here since early December the work situation is slow not many jobs in the paper but lucky enough Daren managed to get a job. Tradie work is hard to come by at present.

Don't give up on a dream if it still is your dream, we love it here and not thinking of returning to the UK (at the moment - never close any doors lol). Yes it could be a financial disaster but it's important to live your life seeing different places - don't live a little live alot :biglaugh:

Come for a holiday if nothing else

Take care x

Guest PaynetoOZ

Hi,

We have just begun the process and appointed an agent. My husband is a bricklayer and reading all the negative (but honest!) posts about the construction industry have made me question if we have done the right thing...however i only have to look at my 3 yr old daughter to realise we have. The recession is affecting pretty much all countries worldwide, and once (and if!) we obtain our visa, we have 5 years to move. Things will surely have picked up then, so my advice would be to still obtain your visa and maybe put your dreams on hold rather than giving up on Australia all together!!!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do

Guest WARDStoOZ

So sorry to hear this Tania :sad:, I understand how the economic situation could make anyone feel like this though. However, maybe you could keep your house on the market a bit longer and look at applying for jobs online, yes you may get nothing job wise and then you could look at taking the house off the market but at the same time employers could be quite flexible with you i.e. my mum's said she has until 30th June 2010 to start working for them. Also, like you say it only takes that one person/couple/family to buy a house and they could come along at any point, especially now as the market's in their favour.

Wishing you all the best in whatever you decide Tania,

Dan xxx :hug:

Guest julie2g1b

hiya we have took our house off the market as next door have had there's repo and going for a lot less than ours (ours been up a yr) and no-one is even viewing that one so we have no chance, were doing some work to it well tarting it up lol but have 4yrs to get over there as validated visa's nov........ hubby being a builder work is slowing down fast and also in perth which is scary but has not put us off we are let's say putting things on hold for a bit till they pick up ......

tania i know how you feel it does get you down but life still goes on just try to put it at the back of your minds for a bit but if i were you get your visa's and validate them have a good break as is a stressful process then just wait a while and save in the mean time but dont give up on your dreams altogether as only live once ........

julie :wubclub:

Guest ashmalog

what has happened to the positive happy tania we all know and have come to love. wait for the visa and it will all fall into place for you.

what you have to remember is why you started all of this in the first place. be positive and all will happen when the time is right.

Guest brooksey

You have 3 out of 5 years over here once you get your visa validated and the recesion will pass in 18months if you believe the experts. Yes i would stay in Uk if you have jobs, but only until it picks up because believe me it's fantastic over here.

Your house will sell before the 3 years and you can come over then.

Good luck and don't give up, keep fighting.

Hi Tanya,

Just wanted to send you a :hug: as I kinda know where your coming from, I feel pretty much the same and we haven't even put the house on the market yet. Like yourself our mortgage is quite affordable at the moment so we've managed put abit aside and decided to go out for a reccie in May to validate our visas (I know the weather won't be good then but the flights are cheap and were lucky that we can stay with friends in Perth). Don't throw in the towel just yet as good news is round the corner. Also I find a G&T helps.

xJo

I was showing an English couple round one of my open homes yesterday. They asked me the question do you like it here? to which I responded. I would never go back even for a holiday!

The UK stinks compared to Aus and not beacause I have landed on my feet I have n't. My last pay check was April 2008 my last in the UK.

We have been struggling but know we will win and what a place to struggle.

Keep that house on the market it will improve out there and when it does you will find little competition as so many have been with holding their house from the market fearing it will never get interest.

Come to Aus it's 10x better than miserable England!!

Guest snow white
I have begun to feel quite negative about Australia for the last few weeks now, especially since more and more people are struggling to find work out there.

When we started our visa process back in 2007 things were quite rosy, but since then we seem to have hit a downwards spiral.

We applied for our visa back in March 2008 and we were told between 4-6 months but obviously it has gone on alot longer, although i did have to get my consent order sorted.

Our house has been on the market since July 2008 and although we have had plenty of viewings, we just haven't had that one person to buy, we have reduced it by £12,000 which we can't afford to do.

I have tried to weigh up all the positives and negatives, but the negatives certainly outweigh the positives, at the moment we are both working and paying very little mortgage here, where if we did get to Oz, i just think it would be to hard for us, if it was just Colin and I then i could cope, but not with 4 children to provide for aswell.

So i think we are going to ride it out in this Country and see what happens.

Good luck to anyone else in a similiar position

Tania X:no:

hi tania,

would it not be better to leave house on market validate your visa and when things do pick up you may get more for your house and choose the right time for you to come to oz.

i must admit weve been here 18 months our house sale fell through and now we still have a house to sell in uk, if i had my choices again would not have come here until house was definitely sold.

all the best

lesley x

Guest spottymercedes

Hi Tania,

I'm so sorry that you are feeling this way, and I hope it has nothing to do with anything I have said. The work situation is not that good here in some fields but others are still ok. I would hate for you to give up on it when you have worked so hard to get this far. Have the newspapers arrived that I sent to you yet? Maybe there will be some inspiration for you in them, I hope so. We are still able to help you in any that we can when you do get here, and we have met great friends through this site which I am sure you would do too. Keep your chin up and I really hope you feel differently when your visas arrive. Take Care, xxx

Thanks Marie, i have not received the newspapers yet, but no it is nothing you have said, i suppose i am concerned if we don't both get jobs out in Oz, and we have no help from benefits, etc, once our money has gone, then thats it, we would never be able to start again in the UK, well not to buy our own home anyway.

Thanks for everyones replies, i will try to think positive and re-evaluate the whole situation.

Tania X

hope youv'e had a good nights sleep and woke up in a different state of mind-sometimes this works for me!(sometimes!!) we applied the same time as you and it seems ages ago-we have changed our plans alot since then-selling-renting,will get a job easy,theres a recessiion over there!!!!-we can afford to go,sell eveything on ebay were going to struggle!-lovely dreams of oz to nightmares and waking up worried!so I know what you mean!we also wil be taking 5 children with us! but we come back to thinking that we want someting better for ourselves and our children,at times we have struggled over here so we will do it over there if need be and that you only live once and we would regret it if we didn't try.good luck with your decision your not alone many people emigrating at the moment probably feels the same.

Thanks for your kind works neilo, yes i must admit i do feel more positive this morning, we are going to reduce the house yet again, although we can't afford, but one last attempt to sell. I'm going to put the house in the local paper tomorrow aswell. We certainly can't afford to validate, as we can't raise the money from no-where. Then we will see, whether we will stay in Oz or wait until things have picked up out there.

Tania X

Guest snow white
Thanks for your kind works neilo, yes i must admit i do feel more positive this morning, we are going to reduce the house yet again, although we can't afford, but one last attempt to sell. I'm going to put the house in the local paper tomorrow aswell. We certainly can't afford to validate, as we can't raise the money from no-where. Then we will see, whether we will stay in Oz or wait until things have picked up out there.

Tania X

hi tania,

im glad your feeling more positive today thats great to hear, housing market does seem to be picking up according to the news and posts ive read and of course me having a house up for sale and speaking to estate agents every week,as expats we relocated to gold coast with 6 kids no job and a house sale that fell through within 6 weeks of being here so for all you thinking what should we do you will never knwo unless you try

best of luck tania with the house keep us posted

lesley x

Guest snow white
Thanks Lesley, for your support

Tania X

your welcome tania,

i know you would do the same for me and many others if we needed it

all the best try not to stress and worry too much

lesley x

Guest tandcmum

sorry to hear you are feeling this way, and i guess many others are too. I also have the same thoughts often and we haven't even applied for a visa yet, however y hubby's job here is not so secure at the moment and we don't have a house to sell. Also as a nurse i will be going over to a job so that does make a difference.

I would continue with your dream and hopefully you will manage to sell your house and get over to Oz and it will all work out for you xxx

Hia Tania

Keep your chin up girl, i know it's frustrating and disheartning but it will work out in the end. Don't give up after coming this far you will always regret it. Could you not borrow some equity from your house so you can validate the visas when they come, then when the house prices come back up you will sell it with more profit and pay back what you borrowed.

Fingers crossed for you x

Hi Markntracey, we have tried to raise equity on the property, but at the moment Halifax aren't lending money like that they have reduced the amount they are lending people, we are going to have a chat to the Natwest tomorrow and see if they can come up with something

Tania X

Hi Tania

we arrived a month ago, my husbands job is on the skills in demand list 'critical' some have said but he is still to secure work. We are incredibly fortunate in that we came with savings, and we are going through them like water. Things here are not cheap, weekly food shop costs as much sometimes more as the UK, cars are really expensive, hubby has bought a 7 year old 4wd with over 100k on the clock (nothing flash) for $15k, yet in the Uk, I am struggling to sell my 2 year old, fab condition volvo for £7k, it cost me 3 times that when I bought it. We are struggling to rent out our home in the Uk to boot. We moved into our rental last Friday only to move out again as we were at a risk from the bush fires and have since moved out again and back in. It seems that the beautiful area of Warrandyte is a serious bush fire risk. Our son has started at school and at the age of 5 is finding it all really easy.

Lots of negatives both ways you will read, but now to the plus points, facebook is keeping me intouch with my family and friends, we chat more now than ever, we arrived knowing no one but I went to the towns fire meeting last night and came away with 4 phone numbers then another neighbour knocked the door tonight with another 2 and have arranged a meeting with the whole close. We spend most of our time outdoors, we are less stressed, I think we are eating and sleeping better. We visit beaches at the weekend that cost at most a fiver to park for the day and they are clean and safe with lots of space.

I guess on the whole I am saying that yes it is hard, but we are so glad we are here, yes it's early days but at the moment we wouldn't consider a move back to the UK, we know things will sort themselves out here. We had a good lifestyle in the UK but our small business was driven almost into the ground by red tape and constant non payment by 'global' companies. #

It's not utopia but you know it's not half bad, as a family we love it so far. I hope you manage to try Oz even if it's just for a little time, best of luck and sorry for the long post, that is the consequence of good ozzie wine!

Best of luck

Michelle

Hi Tania, reading through the replies you have had, and they have all been positive about you still going to oz. There is a recession now but it will pass and things will get better, they always do. Dont give up on your dream it will be worth it when you get there in the end.

Archived