transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have been given the 18th April 2013 for hubby to sign in London and fly out same day. Still waiting for our visas to be granted. Hubby will shortly be receiving his pmkeys number. It's all moving along quickly :)

Wow Fantastic news:jiggy:good luck with the move

Wish we were at that stage. The emails have never been opened so much. Still should know either way within the next 2 weeks,

good luck with the move

Thankyou. its going really quick for us. its just the waiting and not knowing. hope you hear soon good news soon :)

We have been given the 18th April 2013 for hubby to sign in London and fly out same day. Still waiting for our visas to be granted. Hubby will shortly be receiving his pmkeys number. It's all moving along quickly :)

Hi I know how nervous u must be I came over with my wife and 3 kids in Dec and I can say the last few months in the UK went really quick, there never seems like there is enough time to do things, so if I can answer any questions just shout, good luck u will be on the plane before u know it.

Hello.

I'm an RAF nurse looking at lat transfer to the nursing corps of the Australian Army.

I have lots of questions! Would anyone be prepared to try and answer? Can i pm?xxx

Thanks.

I would be happy to , or you could just post them so everyone can answer.

Ok, thanks very much.

I appreciate I am RAF looking at Aus Army, and a nurse but do you know anything about the application process? How long? Cost? What can be claimed back? Do you pay for the visa and then have a visa medical? What if you fail the visa medical? Money gone? UK Armed Forces pensions...is the tax free gratuity from an immediate pension received here taxed in Aus, even if it is just sitting in a bank account? Aus Army pay scales list bands and increments.... the increments I guess go up with seniority but where do the 1-10 bands come in for Nursing Officers at each rank? Postings....I can find nothing on the web about likely postings and hospitals! Any ideas / where to look? I have sent an email to DOCM but have not heard back.

I have lots more but will ask progressively! TVM

Ok, thanks very much.

I appreciate I am RAF looking at Aus Army, and a nurse but do you know anything about the application process? How long? Cost? What can be claimed back? Do you pay for the visa and then have a visa medical? What if you fail the visa medical? Money gone? UK Armed Forces pensions...is the tax free gratuity from an immediate pension received here taxed in Aus, even if it is just sitting in a bank account? Aus Army pay scales list bands and increments.... the increments I guess go up with seniority but where do the 1-10 bands come in for Nursing Officers at each rank? Postings....I can find nothing on the web about likely postings and hospitals! Any ideas / where to look? I have sent an email to DOCM but have not heard back.

I have lots more but will ask progressively! TVM

Hi and Welcome! (which I should of said earlier sorry!!!!)

I cant answer the forces questions but I can run throught he visa and visa medical questions for you, not sure if it would be the same but this is what we had to do.

We sent our expression of interest, which was excepted and we then had to send a whole lto of paperwork, hubby then had to have a medical and when all this was completed and they were happy we were sent Conditions of Service (COS), Hubby signed this and returned it we were then emailed our Labour Agreement (LA), which allowed us to apply for the Emplyment nominated scheme (ENS) 186 Visa.

Applying for the visa requires time patience and a lot of repatitve paper work. You apply on line and upload all your documents, Yes you pay when you apply for the visa its $3060 ASD which depending on exchange rate comes out as £2100 ish. Once you have done this you will be allocated a Case Officer (CO) which they dont hurry about, we are still waiting and applied beginning of September '12. The CO will then ask you to do you medical (we front loaded ours, but they are only valid for a year as are the PCC police checks you are required to do).

The Visa medicals are pretty straight forward and less complicated than the ADF medical. The Adult medical consists of, Eye exam, Bp, Listen to chest, bloods and Cxr. height, weight, Urine and look in mouth. Children are the same minus Cxr, and bloods, and Urine. I think that covers it! The cost depends on area but for 2 adults and 2 children it was approx £800. The Police checks are £45 per Adult.

You have to pay for visas, medical and police checks yourself but once in Aus the RAN/ADF reimberse you so you must keep all reciepts. At the moment DIAC are saying 6-8 months on granting visas, if however you dont get a visa you do not get a refund.

I am sorry I cant answer the other questions and I hope I have answered all your visa questions, if I have missed anything give me a nudge or pm!

Good Luck, hope you here something soon. Be aware you need heap loads of patience, they are in no hurry and will have you jumping through hoop after hoop in the process. But I am lead to believe by others that are already there that it is well worth it!

Hi, can anyone tell me if I have to attach all the documentation that is listed on my visa application as only 2 items say required and the rest say recommended. I hadn't attached all the documents that said recommended so am now wondering if this is why our visa is taking so long to be granted it has been at the "in progress" stage since beginning of november!

Thanks Jen :)

Hi, can anyone tell me if I have to attach all the documentation that is listed on my visa application as only 2 items say required and the rest say recommended. I hadn't attached all the documents that said recommended so am now wondering if this is why our visa is taking so long to be granted it has been at the "in progress" stage since beginning of november!

Hi Jen

From what someone posted the other day, the status on immi website doesnt change, the visa is granted but immi site still says application recieved. Ours still says application recieved and I have been in contact with DIAC and we are still awaiting a CO. When did you apply? We uploaded everything we could whether it was required or recommended,as that way fingers crossed there would be very little if anything needed once CO was appointed.

Jen

Hi,

I am in the same boat with the Visa and I applied in early August. Don't worry about the status on the site, a friend of mine has just received his Visa and his E-Visa application page still just says "Application Received" it might just be for future use. As for attachments I have put on mine; All our birth certs, passports copies, RN ID Card and service certificate, photographs, marriage cert, Conditions of Service and Police Checks. I'm not sure if its correct as like you i'm still waiting!!

The guy I know applied in early July about a month before me, his took almost exactly six months so if you are less than that you might still have a bit of a wait. I had medicals done in November and had an Email this morning stating they had not been recorded as received although when I spoke to them on the phone they told me they had received them in December!!!!! Go Figure!!!

It seems that we have applied at a bad time unfortunately, but fingers crossed we all won't have to wait to much longer.

Chris

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply,Our Visa status did change we applied beginning of November and status was "application received" then end of december changed to "in progress" now just waiting! we have done all our medicals and attached the required documents but think i will take your advice and just attach all documents that are recommended ( about 30 of them ) we have also been trying to contact DIAC but have been having trouble getting through on the number we have could you give me the number you call them on please? we have sent them numerous e-mails which we only ever get computer generated reply's which are not really answering the questions we are asking!

Thanks for your help again :)

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply,Our Visa status did change we applied beginning of November and status was "application received" then end of december changed to "in progress" now just waiting! we have done all our medicals and attached the required documents but think i will take your advice and just attach all documents that are recommended ( about 30 of them ) we have also been trying to contact DIAC but have been having trouble getting through on the number we have could you give me the number you call them on please? we have sent them numerous e-mails which we only ever get computer generated reply's which are not really answering the questions we are asking!

Thanks for your help again :)

Wow you are so lucky, I would love to see even a little progress in our application all I ever get told is 'your application is awaiting a CO' Begining to feel like we are the bottom of the pile and everyone elses application is being put on top of ours! Our medicals and pcc were completed back the beginning of October all docs uploaded at the time of application, and the only delay was our Daughters medicals, which went by courier and we have had an email from DIAC apologising for messing up the paper work.

Ah well it will happen when its meant to and in the mean time I will go grey worrying about it all LOL.

Good Luck

Jen

Hi guys.

we are in the very early stages of thinking of doing a lateral transfer to the RAN. My hubby has not yet put his expression of interest in, but is hoping too in the next few weeks.

I have been trying do as much research as possible, but I have a question I am hoping some of you may be able to answer.

our 2 eldest children are currently in CEA. Do any of you know if the RAN has a similar arrangement? Not too sure if there is more stability in the RAN than there is here in the UK for the children. Our usual over here is a draft every 2 years hence the decision to put them in CEA.

Big decisions ahead!

Hi guys.

we are in the very early stages of thinking of doing a lateral transfer to the RAN. My hubby has not yet put his expression of interest in, but is hoping too in the next few weeks.

I have been trying do as much research as possible, but I have a question I am hoping some of you may be able to answer.

our 2 eldest children are currently in CEA. Do any of you know if the RAN has a similar arrangement? Not too sure if there is more stability in the RAN than there is here in the UK for the children. Our usual over here is a draft every 2 years hence the decision to put them in CEA.

Big decisions ahead!

Hi and welcome

Schooling is totally different here and it depends on how old ur kids are, there is no CEA here. My eldest was about to do her standard grade exams when we left, we had CEA and we have not found a school that comes close to her private school in the UK. The school years are totally different our youngest is 6 and would of been going into p3 in Aug but is just starting P1 this Mon and the eldest will now still have 3 yrs left at school. If u have any specific questions please feel free to Private message me. It is a very long process but so far worth it has been really good out here.

Ruby

Hi and welcome

Schooling is totally different here and it depends on how old ur kids are, there is no CEA here. My eldest was about to do her standard grade exams when we left, we had CEA and we have not found a school that comes close to her private school in the UK. The school years are totally different our youngest is 6 and would of been going into p3 in Aug but is just starting P1 this Mon and the eldest will now still have 3 yrs left at school. If u have any specific questions please feel free to Private message me. It is a very long process but so far worth it has been really good out here.

Ruby

Thank you for replying Ruby1. Any info is handy at the moment. It's a big decision isn't it, when they are getting such a good education here in the uk, but it's a question of weighing up quality time together too. At the moment they adore their school and are doing really well. The eldest is now 12 and our youngest is 6, we have 4 kids. Hoping that the decision to move down under will give us a better quality of life with the hope of us all being in one place together for a change. Hope life out there is treating you all well.

Im an ETWE in th RN and have been told to look at "Longreach" by my Padre, however I'm not sure where to find it. I'm interesing in transfering Navys, can anyone help? I also need info on moving out my family. Thank you.

Hi crooky

longlook is extremely difficult to get, I know a PO that contacted longlook the day the positions were released and all the places had gone by 9am, if ur serious about transferring u need to put an expression of interest into the Australian Navy and they will determine if they want ur branch and experience. They will normally only take LH and above. It is good out here the weather is great but it is not perfect, but I love it here lol. Feel fee to ask anything ur not sure of there is loads of people with lots of Experiance on this post.

ruby

Thanks for getting back to me Ruby.

how do I go about putting in an expression of interest to the Australian Navy.

Crooky

Hi Crooky,

To submit an expression of interest you need to go to the RAN website: http://www.navy.gov.au/. There is a box near the top, Lateral Recruits. It takes you to defence jobs page which gives you info on the skills they are after and entry requirements etc. At the bottom of this page there is another box "Submit an Expression of interest" which then allows you to fill in some details and attach a CV. If they are interested they will then Email you back with more info.

Its fairly easy to get the ball rolling, good luck!!

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone has any more news / info on the Visa situation? I've been trawling this place for info and there are a lot of people in the same boat, but some seem to have received there Visas before Christmas having only applied in Sep/Oct! There seems to be no logic to it.

I've decided to pester them now, continuously!!!! Its been six months, so I just sent another Email, I got the usual automated response but with a new bit;

"Due to the large influx of applications in June 2012, our capacity to allocate post July 2012 electronic applications has been affected. Decision Ready applications are a priority. We are currently allocating

e-lodged applications received July-August 2012."

I applied on the 7th August, it's got to be a good sign!!

Chris

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone has any more news / info on the Visa situation? I've been trawling this place for info and there are a lot of people in the same boat, but some seem to have received there Visas before Christmas having only applied in Sep/Oct! There seems to be no logic to it.

I've decided to pester them now, continuously!!!! Its been six months, so I just sent another Email, I got the usual automated response but with a new bit;

"Due to the large influx of applications in June 2012, our capacity to allocate post July 2012 electronic applications has been affected. Decision Ready applications are a priority. We are currently allocating

e-lodged applications received July-August 2012."

I applied on the 7th August, it's got to be a good sign!!

Chris

Hey Chris, I too have noticed this, it really peed me off. I think I will give it another couple of weeks then email them again as well.

Will keep fingers crossed you hear soon.

Jen

Archived