transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Quick question for all those already out there:

Are you on a 6 year fixed term contract with the possibility of extension (provided you behave yourself, get decent reports etc), or have you immediately been appointed to full career? I ask because we were told that my husband was being offered a job until he was 60 and it was only when we got a copy of the appointment signal (which we need to import the car), that we found out that it was a 6 year fixed term contract. Bit unhappy about being misled and am trying to find out what others have been told.

Thanks

Carolyn

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you on a 6 year fixed term contract with the possibility of extension (provided you behave yourself, get decent reports etc), or have you immediately been appointed to full career? I ask because we were told that my husband was being offered a job until he was 60 and it was only when we got a copy of the appointment signal (which we need to import the car), that we found out that it was a 6 year fixed term contract. Bit unhappy about being misled and am trying to find out what others have been told.

Thanks

Carolyn

Hi and welcome. I have just spoken to my husband about this for you... You have to be in the RAN for a year, once you have done that time, you can then sign on untill your 60. Hope that helps

Anita:biggrin:

Guest jeffner1974

I believe that the 6 years is just to make sure you stay in, to make it worth there while brining you over. it must cost thousands to ship each family out so they're not just going to let you get your citizenship then bail out. it used to be just 3 years but they changed it a while back.

i can't see them paying for all that then ditching you after 6 years if you're up to scratch.

jen x

Hi and welcome. I have just spoken to my husband about this for you... You have to be in the RAN for a year, once you have done that time, you can then sign on untill your 60. Hope that helps

Anita:biggrin:

By the way I forgot to say my husband has done it. He's now signed on until he's 60, he did it after a year...

One the last thing Wendy Hughes needs off you before you join is a Waiver from RN Reserve Service you can get this by emailing:

Mrs Gail Brooker

FLEET-DNPERS NPT(RES) RFR(NC)

Fleet Headquarters

MP 1-2

Room 108

West Battery

PP300

Whale Island

Portsmouth

Hampshire

PO2 8DX

email. fleet-dnperspntresrfr1e1@mod.uk

Frontstunt this is where your need to contact for reserve waiver:smile: Not sure if still same person incharge I have just searched back through thread HTH

hello everyone!

WOW, what a great thread! I have gathered some really valuable information from reading this one through (it took me a few days though!!).

Im really new to the site, and even newer to the process of transferring to the RAN. My OH has just sent off his EoI, a week ago today. We are still waiting to hear whether or not he is of interest to the RAN.

(We really hope so!!)

What was really surreal, is reading updates from people I know who have transferred over, and are loving it! Anyway, here's to starting the waiting game!

hello everyone!

WOW, what a great thread! I have gathered some really valuable information from reading this one through (it took me a few days though!!).

Im really new to the site, and even newer to the process of transferring to the RAN. My OH has just sent off his EoI, a week ago today. We are still waiting to hear whether or not he is of interest to the RAN.

(We really hope so!!)

What was really surreal, is reading updates from people I know who have transferred over, and are loving it! Anyway, here's to starting the waiting game!

Hello and Welcome :smile:

Good luck with your EoI will keep everything crossed for you. I hope you have lots of patience and welcome to the waiting game!

Neenie

Hello all, I'm new to this site, me and my husband is currently in the progress of trying to move to OZ, my hubby's retires from the uk navy in January after doing 22 years:) we have sent his eoi off in may and received the application pack beginning of September , application has been sent back and he has his medical tomorrow ...... So things heading in the right direction, really hope hubby gets a job offer:) we have 2 girls age 4& 6...... For all of you that are already in OZ would you say this was the right decision for you and would you say it's a better life for the children? Look forward to hearing back from some of you x

Hi Natasha,

As you can see from my post above, we are also really new to all this, but you are further along than we are! I can't believe your hubby sent of the EoI in May, and only got an application pack in September! My god, we've been waiting nearly two weeks now, and jump at the sound of an email pinging through!! Do we really have to wait 4 months to find out if we are accepted?

I think I'm going to be grey by the time it's all over, haha! How on earth did you cope?

Guest jeffner1974

Hi,

Not really around much on here now but would like to say welcome to the new ladies. hope you have brought a good sense of humour and a bucket load of patience as your going to need both :o))

We moved over in August this year (OH, me, 2 kids and the hound) So far so good.

my eldest(7) has settled well into school and her swimming classes. plenty of parks and safe beaches for them, they are outside all the time. The heat has been great for my dog who has alot of aches and pains. And the OH seems to be enjoying his work though it's still work!!

i'd say it's definatly worth it.

good luck an i hope you both get good news soon.

how is everyone else doing? Ruby1 you must be about the manic stage just now. hope its going well.

Jen x

Neenie & Ruby,

Finally got my medical clearance from the underwater team in perth. Next step is to await my COS. Got the email last night while in bed! Felt like going out to celebrate!! lol. Neenie, how long did you and baz wait for it after finally passing the medical?

I spoke to Kymba the other night aswel. He seems cool. Really cheerful guy.

Frenchy

Hi,

Not really around much on here now but would like to say welcome to the new ladies. hope you have brought a good sense of humour and a bucket load of patience as your going to need both :o))

We moved over in August this year (OH, me, 2 kids and the hound) So far so good.

my eldest(7) has settled well into school and her swimming classes. plenty of parks and safe beaches for them, they are outside all the time. The heat has been great for my dog who has alot of aches and pains. And the OH seems to be enjoying his work though it's still work!!

i'd say it's definatly worth it.

good luck an i hope you both get good news soon.

how is everyone else doing? Ruby1 you must be about the manic stage just now. hope its going well.

Jen x

Hi Jen

Your Not wrong! Things are a bit manic, the house is upside down, still not got access to the homefind site although I have had contact with them and they say I should recieve an email by next week with my username and password, pickfords have been for the assessment and come on the 19thNov for our things. We have our flight details and we have 2 nights in Singapore so that should be fun I just hope we can find a house soon as we would prefer to be in our own place for xmas and have our airfreight , but I think it will be Jan before we get our sea freight. I hope the weather is nice because it has been chucking it down here and I keep thinking only 5 weeks left I cant wait, If we get on homefind and there are any houses near you I will give you a shout. take care

Ruby:biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, we'll getting a little excited now....... Hubby has had an email to say all is looking good with getting over to OZ:) we should get the COS in December and as long as visa and all is oki we will be over in may/June:) neves are kicking in already but feeling excited at the same time..... Just hope we as a family settle into oz oki & my girls who are 4 & 6 like it xxx

Hi Natasha,

As you can see from my post above, we are also really new to all this, but you are further along than we are! I can't believe your hubby sent of the EoI in May, and only got an application pack in September! My god, we've been waiting nearly two weeks now, and jump at the sound of an email pinging through!! Do we really have to wait 4 months to find out if we are accepted?

I think I'm going to be grey by the time it's all over, haha! How on earth did you cope?

Hello mrs magoo,how are u getting on? Have u heard anything back yet ? We are just waiting for the COS to get back to us ,which should be in December:) hubby had an email last week to say all is looking good ,and as long as visa is all oki then they will fly s over may/June:/..... We are excited but also nervous.......do you have children ? I have 2 girls who are 4 and 6 and really hoping that they will like the move and change xx

Hello mrs magoo,how are u getting on? Have u heard anything back yet ? We are just waiting for the COS to get back to us ,which should be in December:) hubby had an email last week to say all is looking good ,and as long as visa is all oki then they will fly s over may/June:/..... We are excited but also nervous.......do you have children ? I have 2 girls who are 4 and 6 and really hoping that they will like the move and change xx

Hi Natasha

it sounds like things are really starting to move for you! We still haven't heard back - but no news is good news, right? Haha

we have stopped checking the emails each time it pings, my oh doesn't think he'll hear anything until January anyway - I don't know why!

I have a daughter who is 16 in December, she will be coming with us, my oh has 3 children from his first marriage, they won't be coming with us - well, at this stage, we haven't included them. They are 16, 14 and 12. They live with their mum. No doubt it will cause us to have quite a rocky journey to Oz!

i am sure your little ones will love it and settle really quickly. I have friends who made the move with their young family, and they all absolutely love it. The kids settled really quickly, and have loads of new friends. There is always something that they are doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

We have pulled out and declined the RAN job offer. Fortunately we have our own visa so are going to Australia anyway. It just meant we wasted nearly 5 months with the RAN that could have been better spent house hunting and job hunting in Perth (where we are now planning to go).

Just wanted to advise anybody who is new to the process and dealing with the RAN to read the contracts/COS very carefully and make sure that what they offer you verbally is the same as what the COS says. You also might want to ask for a copy of the Appointment Signal which should be read carefully as that can be significantly different to what they say as well. If there are discrepancies, get them to confirm things in writing. Thirdly, if they quote their rules and regulations to them, be aware that those rules and regulations are freely available on the internet so check them out. You may find that the HR/Personnel interpretation of them bears no reality to what they actually say, and you may also find that certain people will invent things that they state are in the rules, but actually aren't. They can get a little bit arsey when you point it out.

Unfortunately we were repeatedly lied to, stories were invented when they could not be bothered to check their facts were accurate, and we just lost all faith in them as a future employer.

I wish all of you who are going out there with them luck and hope you have a better experience with them than we did.

Regards

Carolyn

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's us in London, really nice hotel but very expensive £60 for 2 sandwiches pizza and a couple of drinks think we will go to KFC for dinner. Fly out tomorrow night can't wait to just get settled arrive in perth Mon morning :xmas16:

Hi all folks!

I am a Polish submariner with 11 years experience onboard the sub.

I had been reading this topic moreless a year ago, when I was trying to transfer from Polish Navy to RAN. I was told by Vanessa that it is impossible to process my application, due to security matters.

So there goes my question: how to obtain Australian Defence Force security clearance by myself so maybe I would start again? I know that The British have a 'handicap', your SC can be simply transferred, but maybe someone knows?

all good for you

Kriz

Hi all folks!

I am a Polish submariner with 11 years experience onboard the sub.

I had been reading this topic moreless a year ago, when I was trying to transfer from Polish Navy to RAN. I was told by Vanessa that it is impossible to process my application, due to security matters.

So there goes my question: how to obtain Australian Defence Force security clearance by myself so maybe I would start again? I know that The British have a 'handicap', your SC can be simply transferred, but maybe someone knows?

all good for you

Kriz

Hi kriz

I imagine your only way would be to apply for security clearance in Aus but don't know how u would go about it and if its anything like the UK it would be very expensive. Good luck and I'm sure someone on this site will be able to help.

Ruby

Archived