transferring from R.N to R.A.N royal navy to royal australian navy

Guest guest25493

Hi Anita

Many thanks for that. I don't know whether I'm coming or going at the moment and am quite worried about the lack of contact from the RAN. My husband is quite happy on the grounds that if it all falls through then we can still go (as we are on a different visa), but I like to have everything sorted well in advance, particularly with 2 toddlers in tow!

What happened about your husband getting uniforms and id badges? Did he have an admin day when you got there?

Thanks

Carolyn

Carolyn don't worry about tnot hearing from the RAN I think everyone says the same thing, and then all at once your doing everything.

When we arrived Doug went in and got his uniform and ID card o one of his days off, I don't know if they still do it the sane way, but I would say they do..

There are a lot of things to do when you 1st get here, like ur medicare card, driving licence, just to name 2, but with all these things they dont need doing right away. You will get told a lot of things by a lot of people, and each one have done it there own way.. So when you do get here take your time dont panic and enjoy it, things will all fall into place...

if you need to know anything just shout always happy to help

Anita

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi Jen

Thanks very much, we really were not sure what to bring, I have three girls so they will take up most of the air freight lol. Hopefully we shouldn't have to much junk, we still have not bothered to unpack since we moved into the MQ, now we need to wait for our pm key so we can look for houses, once we get pickfords round and get to start looking at houses then we might start to relies that this is actually going to happen, we still can't believe we have our visas I still woke up at 5.30 to check our emails this morning just out of habit. Thanks again and any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

Ruby.

Hahahaha so thats 1 box for you Ruby and the rest of the boxes for Mrs Ruby and the girls then:biglaugh:.

• 2 weeks later...
congratulations!!!

it's such a great feeling isn't it. like neenie says start cleaning and organising what you're bringing now cause it will be here in no time. And bring as much as you can

jen x

Hi Jen hope you have all settled in now and enjoying the weather, as you can imagine its freezing and wet here. I just wanted to ask about pickfords, did you contact them to come and assess your belongings or did Aus house do that? We only have 3 months to go and we dont know what to pack or what to bin ( we did buy new coat hangers for the air freight though lol) we have not heard from pickfords yet although we have our PMKeys but wont be able to get on the homefind site till we get a username and password. I only have 4 weeks left at work then time to start cleaning and packing, any advice on housing or pickfords would be most appreciated.

thanks again

Ruby:biggrin:

Guest jeffner1974
Hi Jen hope you have all settled in now and enjoying the weather, as you can imagine its freezing and wet here. I just wanted to ask about pickfords, did you contact them to come and assess your belongings or did Aus house do that? We only have 3 months to go and we dont know what to pack or what to bin ( we did buy new coat hangers for the air freight though lol) we have not heard from pickfords yet although we have our PMKeys but wont be able to get on the homefind site till we get a username and password. I only have 4 weeks left at work then time to start cleaning and packing, any advice on housing or pickfords would be most appreciated.

thanks again

Ruby:biggrin:

Hey there,

How you all doing? bet your head is spinning lol!

i tried to post a couple of times on the page but for some reason PIO site keeps crashing on me so i'll try this instead.

We are settling in really well, what a great experience it's been. We have a great house in Shoalwater 1k from beach, less than that from school(safety bay primary) the wee one is settling great.

it will get even more crazy over the next few moths for you guys but try and enjoy it.

to be honest, we just had a good clear out of stuff we didn't need or want. the cleaning thing is a bit over kill. some folk go on about "jeyes fluid smell" and everything has to be spotless. but we did our bikes with hot soapy water and degreadsed the chain ect, just to get the dead flies off! we brought our garden table/chairs and just washed them with hot soapy water. EVERYTHING got through. a few boxes had been opened and i'd be thorough with xmas decorations but as long as they're not natural products (i had to leave my door wreaths and my star :o(() they should be fine.

Contact pickfords yourself. Natalie Chee was the lady who took care of us and she was brilliant. did you get get a pack with all the contact detail of who's who? is it still Andrew Zeitzen (Australian high commision) that coordinates the lateral recruits travel and housing ect? give him a shout if you don't have that info yet. Pickfords will come out and do a survey and arrange a packing date, ours took 3 days to pack but they do everything. just make sure you want it to come, if not hide it away lol! our stuff took 8 weeks door to door.

As for the PMKeys and getting on homefind. i think once you get your number there is still a process you have to go through to get your password/username scott done it and i'm afraid he's dead to the world just now lol! but i'll ask him when he gets up if your still stuck with it.

if you have anymore questions i can help you with, ask away. i'll try my best to answer.

jen x

Whoo hoo we finally had our visas granted this morning what a relief! Can now get on with enjoying our last three months in the UK and saying our goodbyes! Well done Ruby and your family!!

Congratulations Hoppy29:jiggy:, where are you off too? We are just awaiting the return of our police checks then we will be waiting for that important email too! We dont go until August, So my son could finish his school year and hubby can fullfill his notice period (RN well his DO and drafty being insert word of choice here!), although wish we were going Jan too!:arghh:

Whoo hoo we finally had our visas granted this morning what a relief! Can now get on with enjoying our last three months in the UK and saying our goodbyes! Well done Ruby and your family!!

Thats great news you must be so relieved its such a strange feeling isnt it? have u everything sorted with the RN? I only have 3 weeks left at work before I go on resettlement leave and terminal leave, Just trying to sort out pickfords so we know what we can and cant take with us, got our PMKeys last week but wont get on the homefind website till I get a user name and password, where are you going? we are going to perth im a submariner, what about yourself? Anyway enjoy the thought of your last winter in the uk. :biggrin:

Well finishing work in the RN in a few days to go on resettlement/terminal leave. Provisional date around March 2013 for going over.

A couple of questions for you guys already out there:

Any recommendations for an Australian bank? (I am heading to HMAS Stirling) I am planning on opening an account before going over and will be using Halo Financial for fund transfers.

What have you done regarding the plugs on the UK electrical gear you have taken with you? Have you bought loads of adapters or fitted Ozzie plugs?

Cheers,

John.

Congratulations Hoppy29:jiggy:, where are you off too? We are just awaiting the return of our police checks then we will be waiting for that important email too! We dont go until August, So my son could finish his school year and hubby can fullfill his notice period (RN well his DO and drafty being insert word of choice here!), although wish we were going Jan too!:arghh:

We are off to Nowra about two hours south of sydney! Im lucky with my DO and drafty Ive managed to get early release for Jan. Hope your not waiting to long for Visas it is the most painful frustrating process! Good luck!!

Thats great news you must be so relieved its such a strange feeling isnt it? have u everything sorted with the RN? I only have 3 weeks left at work before I go on resettlement leave and terminal leave, Just trying to sort out pickfords so we know what we can and cant take with us, got our PMKeys last week but wont get on the homefind website till I get a user name and password, where are you going? we are going to perth im a submariner, what about yourself? Anyway enjoy the thought of your last winter in the uk. :biggrin:

Its a great feeling cant believe its finally all happened! Just putting in for early release and hopefully finishing beginning of December. Im a Wafu and will be based at Nowra in New South Wales. Got so much to sort out just waiting for out PMkeys. Can now enjoy our last few months in the UK and visiting family! How scary only three months to go :biggrin:

Well finishing work in the RN in a few days to go on resettlement/terminal leave. Provisional date around March 2013 for going over.

A couple of questions for you guys already out there:

Any recommendations for an Australian bank? (I am heading to HMAS Stirling) I am planning on opening an account before going over and will be using Halo Financial for fund transfers.

What have you done regarding the plugs on the UK electrical gear you have taken with you? Have you bought loads of adapters or fitted Ozzie plugs?

Cheers,

John.

Hi John it's such a good feeling knowing you don't have long left in the RN I have 3 weeks of drinking tea in the slinging section, such hard work lol. I opened an account with NAB it took 5 mins online and within a couple of days had my account no and Internet banking details, the only thing is you can only put money in but you can't transfer or make withdrawals until u get to Aus and go to the local branch but they give u the details of your local branch which is in Rockingham where they have your bank cards and pin no waiting. With regards to plugs I will take a couple of travel adapters then get plenty of normal extension leads that way I only need one travel adapter for every 4 British plugs. I am off to HMAS Stirling as well so I will see you there. :biggrin:

Hi John it's such a good feeling knowing you don't have long left in the RN I have 3 weeks of drinking tea in the slinging section, such hard work lol. I opened an account with NAB it took 5 mins online and within a couple of days had my account no and Internet banking details, the only thing is you can only put money in but you can't transfer or make withdrawals until u get to Aus and go to the local branch but they give u the details of your local branch which is in Rockingham where they have your bank cards and pin no waiting. With regards to plugs I will take a couple of travel adapters then get plenty of normal extension leads that way I only need one travel adapter for every 4 British plugs. I am off to HMAS Stirling as well so I will see you there. :biggrin:

Nice one Ruby. It feels great to be finally finishing RN with a mixture of nerves and excitement for the future.

Good idea regarding the extensions.

Cheers for the info & see you out there!

John.

We are off to Nowra about two hours south of sydney! Im lucky with my DO and drafty Ive managed to get early release for Jan. Hope your not waiting to long for Visas it is the most painful frustrating process! Good luck!!

We are used to the waiting now, this has been a fairly long process for us, lot longer than some of you, due to docs not being looked at for 6 months there end, but hey ho we are on the home stretch so to speak. a few more months wont hurt!

Hubby tried the 'well I am not getting paid to do this job so not doing it' line and was told too bad, another lad has there notice in nothing to do with RAN and was told if he didnt follow the direct order to go to sea then there would be severe reprocussions (ie arrested!). So we will just bide our time and tow the line hubby due off boat in Feb so not much longer! All being well we will be heading off next August for the adventure of a life time.

Good Luck hope all goes smoothly for you.

Jen

Ok so another post from me, so frustrated (should be used to it by now!) Why cant anyone tell me why they havent included my son on the visa application summary, but on the health examination paperwork, My daughter wasnt on the health examination paperwork (but they still completed her medical and sent it by courier) but she was on the visa summary. Parramatta haven't replied to my email about this (sent 20sept), London, cant look at my application because 'they are only there to help people who haven't applied for there visa yet'! Also he couldnt access our application, when I gave him the passport number, he even checked using name and DOB.

I know I just need to hang in here and all will get sorted, I just needed to vent and you guys have all been through it with other variously frustrating incidents/paperwork and general annoyingness (is that a word?).

Guess I am in for a late night and hefty phone bill:arghh:

Guest gavnicjacflo

There is NAB westpac and commonwealth in rockingham and the slightly small ANZ we went with NAB and cant fault them so far.

What have you done regarding the plugs on the UK electrical gear you have taken with you? Have you bought loads of adapters or fitted Ozzie plugs

after six months still changing plugs.

Ruby and Neenie!

Finally on here! Neenie can you let Baz know that I got my extra medical test done and passed. However I got an email this morning and they wanted a full set of the basic examination (Prelims) again as it has taken so long to find somewhere that does it. Luckily I did a set of prelims to do diving last week so the doctor filled it out. So hopefully next stage is getting my COS.

Frenchy.

Ruby and Neenie!

Finally on here! Neenie can you let Baz know that I got my extra medical test done and passed. However I got an email this morning and they wanted a full set of the basic examination (Prelims) again as it has taken so long to find somewhere that does it. Luckily I did a set of prelims to do diving last week so the doctor filled it out. So hopefully next stage is getting my COS.

Frenchy.

Yay Welcome!!!!:biggrin:

I most certainly will let him know, although he mentioned last night you had passed the meds in Newcastle, so not entirely sure how he knew!,

So are you aiming to go August again, I really think it can be done, if you can sort out notice period. We are just awaiting the visa granted/not granted email!:wink:

There is so much information in these pages, well worth reading them all.

Any questions just message Baz on fb and I will answer them hehehe, but I will ahve probably got the answer from here!

Jen

As a Lieutenant, does anyone know what the forces housing would be like in Sydney and roughly how much to expect to pay? Things are moving on swiftly and we are daring to see light at the end of the tunnel!

Hi and welcome, I live next door to a Lieutenant commander. I live in a normal 4 bed MQ we are all mixed on here and all get just fine. I have 4 other friends who are Lieutenant commanders one lives in there own place, and the other 2 went RA, that means you go private (the navy will pay so much towards it). but thats only if there are no houses available at the time. These people had 4 kids each and needed a bigger houses. Most people live in MQ... By the way my husband is not an officer... Good luck with everything

Anita

No I think we're still going to wait for the Jan 14 entry. Financially it would be better. Plus I have to organise the flat to be rented and I havnt even got my COS yet.

Yeh I'll message him on FB. I've read right through these pages already! Lol

cheers,

Frenchy.

Guest Ozsurfmad

Hi there,

we had our interviews yesterday and will be flying out in August 2013. My Husband is due to leave the navy after 22 years service May 2013 and then join the RAN. It is a tough one sorting out when is best to go as our eldest is 15 (year 10 uk) and youngest 10 (year 6 uk.) You need to go when you feel is best for the family. We applied January this year and it has all gone through alot quicker than we thought it would. Now we have to sort out a preference on where we would like to be based. At present we are working on Sydney and Perth.

Good luck with your quest and if I can help answer any questions I am more than willing

Ozsurfmad :)

Hi there,

we had our interviews yesterday and will be flying out in August 2013. My Husband is due to leave the navy after 22 years service May 2013 and then join the RAN. It is a tough one sorting out when is best to go as our eldest is 15 (year 10 uk) and youngest 10 (year 6 uk.) You need to go when you feel is best for the family. We applied January this year and it has all gone through alot quicker than we thought it would. Now we have to sort out a preference on where we would like to be based. At present we are working on Sydney and Perth.

Good luck with your quest and if I can help answer any questions I am more than willing

Ozsurfmad :)

Hi Ozsurfmad

We are due to fly out August 2013 (awaiting that visa granted email!) We are off to Perth, no choice for us as Hubby is submariner! We have a 4yr old and 9month old.

Good luck with your decision on where to go

neenie

Archived