Hairdressing thread

TaniaColin

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good luck with finding a sponsor, i think your mum might need quals to show she can do the job as well as salon experience

Tania X

thanks but it just hard because she trained that long ago and didnt do paper basesd then well we keep trying thankyou we will need good luck

Guest Tracey Jay
Hi to all hairdressers, another one here. Great thread.

A bit about me and a few questions???

Hairdresser for 23 years, salon owner for 11 now mobile for the last 7 years. Have city and guilds (1988) so decided to go back to college and do my NVQ level 3. Thought a new certificate would impress!!!! Planning to work in a salon, part time hopefully.

Was planning to go to Brisbane, got a cousin there. Because of visa prosessing changes in Jan applied to WA for state sponsorship. Got a cousin and friend in Perth (woodvale and carramar) which I believe are 20 mins apart (luck not management) and near joondalup? (chatty 66) ?

Didn"t realise you needed licence for WA. Tried not to read to much about WA incase we don"t get statesponsorship. Would be yet another disapointment!! If I"ve read this thread right I might not have to take a test because I"ll have my NVQ3 that I"m due to finish in June. What costs involved with the licence?

Had an email this week saying we had been recommended for approval for SS, 2 other officers have to sign it off and should have notification in 7 to 10 days. Sounds good but not getting to excited untill I have it in black and white. Think we should get a case officer soon after that. Then a house to sell.......so could be there in 6 months.....mite be 6 years!!!!

Anyone still awake.....lol. Mite meet some of you one day????

Good luck everyone Tracey.

EXCITED.....GOT IT IN BLACK AND WHITE ON SATURDAY!!!

will be on here all the time now asking loads of questions now i know we are defo going to perth. :jiggy:

EXCITED.....GOT IT IN BLACK AND WHITE ON SATURDAY!!!

will be on here all the time now asking loads of questions now i know we are defo going to perth. :jiggy:

Congratulations so what else have you got to do know, concerning your visa

Tania X

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxpt479YYGB

Guest paul n kath

hey i am training to be a hairdresser in the uk and is planning to move to queensland how would it work what do i have to do i have no idea lol many thanks sam

Guest NurseFlo

Hi,

I've not read through all the hairdressing thread, but have seen posts where people are having trouble finding a decent hairdresser once they get to Oz. I'm hoping to move to Sydney (North Shore area) in the next few months and (I know this makes me so shallow) one of my priorities would be to find me a hairdresser/colorist as I have short hair and it needs regular maintenance or it just looks scruffy.

So, my question is, are there any threads with a bit of PIO self-promotion for either in-salon or mobile services by area?

Ta! xx

I hope there are lots of people where i'm heading for who need a good hairdresser, so i can set up my own mobile business. I have seen similiar posts NurseFlo so i know where you are coming from, lets hope you find someone who is just right to do your hair

Tania X

Guest knackered

Hi, Im hoping to study hairdressing in Queensland, Brisbane with the hope of becoming perm res on completion of course. Has anyone else on here done it? would love any advice or info. My sis is living in North lakes Brisbane 4509 so ideally would like to study near this area.

Hi, Im hoping to study hairdressing in Queensland, Brisbane with the hope of becoming perm res on completion of course. Has anyone else on here done it? would love any advice or info. My sis is living in North lakes Brisbane 4509 so ideally would like to study near this area.

Hi and welcome to poms in oz, hope someone can help you out

Tania X:wub:

Hi,

I am looking to go to Brisbane too, as my sis is living in Corinda, but I did like the look of North Lakes which would be about 30 mins away, I think. What does your sis think of it, and is she renting or has she bought? I've heard its good for families.

Shaz

Guest janeubu

hi ya can u give me a rough guide on salary,hoping also to work in qsl,been hairdressing for 34 years ?cheers jane

Guest knackered
Hi,

I am looking to go to Brisbane too, as my sis is living in Corinda, but I did like the look of North Lakes which would be about 30 mins away, I think. What does your sis think of it, and is she renting or has she bought? I've heard its good for families.

Shaz

Hi Shaz, SHe has bought in North Lakes she is there about 6 years now and loves it, big house looking out onto golf course, swim pool etc .. what more could a girl want??? I have visited and love it. Its great for families, little playgrounds every 10 mins on a walk, lovely walk ways n bicycly tracks, then the westfield shops is close by and they also have outdoor cineams every now n again. Another new school either opened or opening soon. www.northlakes.com.au maybe u could chat to people living the dream on the forum on this.

Are u a hairdresser?

Good luck,

Australians do not tip for anything, hairdressers, cabbies, restaurants and as Brits you have to learn to do the same when you arrive here and the wages in some salons are awful $16 to $21 an hour, Coles pay more for stacking shelves. I agree that many British people here prefer British trained stylists but Australians couldn't care less who cuts their hair as they have been use to bad hairstyles for years. One salon I went to an interview timed me, yes you heard right they time you, I got the job but told them to stuff it because their pay structure was based on time, you have to cut 2 to 3 cuts per hour or 25 people a day or you will not receive your bonus, this is why haircuts are so bad here, you are not allowed to put any creativity into a haircut or spend time with your client its more a case of come in, sit down, cut hair, roughdry, (not blowdry as takes too long) get up and get out and all this within 15 to 20 mins, fortunately I now work in a shop that has great pay incentives and great staff, I do get some tips but not many and I come home feeling glad of my days work, to all future migrants be prepared for some shocking eye openers, eventually you will find a great salon that you feel comfartable working in...but it will take time...

Some good info there, not what I would have expected. I am a hairdresser from Scotland at the start of the process, just back from OZ last week, loved it but cant decide where to go...Ahhh!

Some good info there, not what I would have expected. I am a hairdresser from Scotland at the start of the process, just back from OZ last week, loved it but cant decide where to go...Ahhh!

Hi Ali and Paul welcome to the hairdressing thread where did you go to in Oz then??

Tania X

Hi Ali and Paul welcome to the hairdressing thread where did you go to in Oz then??

Tania X

Hi Tania, we were based in Sydney but went to Melbourne and the Goldcoast, loved all the places, so hard to decide! I have also just heard from our friends in Sydney that Oz no longer requires hairdressers, it was an article in the newspaper today! Still to find out more from them though. I'm feeling disapointed.

Ali, xx

Hi Shaz, SHe has bought in North Lakes she is there about 6 years now and loves it, big house looking out onto golf course, swim pool etc .. what more could a girl want??? I have visited and love it. Its great for families, little playgrounds every 10 mins on a walk, lovely walk ways n bicycly tracks, then the westfield shops is close by and they also have outdoor cineams every now n again. Another new school either opened or opening soon. www.northlakes.com.au maybe u could chat to people living the dream on the forum on this.

Are u a hairdresser?

North Lakes sounds great. My husband is a hairdresser and going over in May for a visit, to see potential job possibilities/salaries/areas to live etc so he will be able to check it out. My sister had said she preferred Corinda as the houses were all on top of each other in North Lakes and there wasnt a great train service into the city, but that couldve changes since she looked.

I'm an accountant so applying for the visa as it might be easier. Well, we will see as I am just starting, and will be submitting docs for my skills assessment as soon as I can get details of the modules from the uni.

Shaz

That will be a shame about hairdressers Ali, although i have heard about the rumours for a week or two, so they are taking them off the skills list then

Tania X

They are taking hairdressers off the CSL as far as I know but still on the MODL. We can hopefully get a state sponsor but it means we will need to go to Perth, Adelaide, Northern territory or ACT. Thats all the places we havn't been!

Ali, xx

They are taking hairdressers off the CSL as far as I know but still on the MODL. We can hopefully get a state sponsor but it means we will need to go to Perth, Adelaide, Northern territory or ACT. Thats all the places we havn't been!

Ali, xx

Have not visited ACT or NT but have been to Adelaide and Perth, They are great little cities in their own distinctive ways. If you love your wine then Adelaide would be my choice or if you prefer ocean and beach then choose Perth without a doubt. Good luck with whatever you decide....

Have not visited ACT or NT but have been to Adelaide and Perth, They are great little cities in their own distinctive ways. If you love your wine then Adelaide would be my choice or if you prefer ocean and beach then choose Perth without a doubt. Good luck with whatever you decide....

Thankyou, I have heard that Perth is lovely and it looks great on the telly but just seems so far away from everywhere else. Adelaide, I am told is like stepping back in time but house prices are cheaper, ahhh the decisions, lol.

Ali x

Guest luckytwins

hi all im thinking of applying for a student visa to study in sydney as a hairdresser. i will be taking my partner and my twins i wouldnt be going till febuary then take me a year to get qualified but they have stopped skilled migration i dont no if we would be sent home when i finished my studies, we have a sponser a place to live and my partners mum and sister a permenant residents were not sure to go for it or just make a life in the uk we have both spent 12months in sydney and love the place so much is it worth trying for any advice thankyou x

hi all im thinking of applying for a student visa to study in sydney as a hairdresser. i will be taking my partner and my twins i wouldnt be going till febuary then take me a year to get qualified but they have stopped skilled migration i dont no if we would be sent home when i finished my studies, we have a sponser a place to live and my partners mum and sister a permenant residents were not sure to go for it or just make a life in the uk we have both spent 12months in sydney and love the place so much is it worth trying for any advice thankyou x

Hi and welcome to the forum, hopefully there will be someone along to help you with your dilemma

Tania X:wubclub:

Guest InquisitivePom

Hi

I am also in the same position. Have been waiting to see if anything changes with the MODL but I suppose it can always change in the 2 years study. You said it would take a year to qualify - are you not doing the 2 year study? I was under the impression doing the 2 year study was a better option but I may be wrong so any advice would be much appreciated.

Let me know how you go. Where about are you going to study?

Chat soon

Inquistive Pom :)

Guest janeubu
Australians do not tip for anything, hairdressers, cabbies, restaurants and as Brits you have to learn to do the same when you arrive here and the wages in some salons are awful $16 to $21 an hour, Coles pay more for stacking shelves. I agree that many British people here prefer British trained stylists but Australians couldn't care less who cuts their hair as they have been use to bad hairstyles for years. One salon I went to an interview timed me, yes you heard right they time you, I got the job but told them to stuff it because their pay structure was based on time, you have to cut 2 to 3 cuts per hour or 25 people a day or you will not receive your bonus, this is why haircuts are so bad here, you are not allowed to put any creativity into a haircut or spend time with your client its more a case of come in, sit down, cut hair, roughdry, (not blowdry as takes too long) get up and get out and all this within 15 to 20 mins, fortunately I now work in a shop that has great pay incentives and great staff, I do get some tips but not many and I come home feeling glad of my days work, to all future migrants be prepared for some shocking eye openers, eventually you will find a great salon that you feel comfartable working in...but it will take time...

hi ya that is shocking,i do about 12 clients aday and that is enough,i would hate to send out crap work.How long have you lived sunshine coast?is buderim any good to live,and where do you live and work,sorry for all questions but i am wondering if the grass is greener in oz,i would be leavin a fab rent a chair salon.we are coming to qsl on 176 visa on my hubby being a carpenter.cheers jane:shocked:

Archived