Sellling house - has anyone managed to do it?

froggirl

Guest brg1200

Good information Little Sarah, it's too late for us - we've exchanged - but hopefully it might help someone else on the forum. My mortgage company (Coventry Building Society) didn't seem to have that option, though have been excellent in other respects.

My own advice to you all out there - Don't go to Australia without a firm job offer, the crunch is finally hitting them now. Jobs are scarce in my field at least, qualifications slightly different, house prices (South Australia) relatively higher than here. You'll be earning dollars not pounds.

Three or four months ago the job agencies were sure they could place me "no worries", they have nothing now. We're scared to death but the die is cast and we've severed so many things here there's no going back. We'll probably eat rapidly into what we "made" on the house sale.

It's not a bed of roses, and don't think the grass is greener right now, I'm not saying don't do it but please make sure of all your facts before committing yourselves.

GOOD LUCK & GODSPEED

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tigers08

well we thinking of just cutting our loss and handing our house back to bank we had ours up for sale for 4 months and no views we had to drop it £10,000 now they want us to drop again what do you do ? we lodged for our 175 11th sep and doing our meds fri 30th jan this week its been a nightmare trying to get cash together for all this but we determand to do it now o/h is out of work and has been for 5 months now we going for our dream , dont let selling the house spoil your dreams guys good luck all

well we thinking of just cutting our loss and handing our house back to bank we had ours up for sale for 4 months and no views we had to drop it £10,000 now they want us to drop again what do you do ? we lodged for our 175 11th sep and doing our meds fri 30th jan this week its been a nightmare trying to get cash together for all this but we determand to do it now o/h is out of work and has been for 5 months now we going for our dream , dont let selling the house spoil your dreams guys good luck all

If only it was that easy, no house sale no oz for us!

Emma

Hi Emma

Us too. we cant go unless we sell. Rent wouldnt cover the mortgage payments and need some of the money out of the house sale.

We put ours up for sale Jan 08 we have had 12 veiwings and dropped the price 30k but nothing!

It is so frustrating:(

We got our Visas in Jan 08 we validated last sept.

Ness

x

Guest snow white
Yep! After THREE YEARS on the market! We have sold...subject to contract!

Good luck everyone! Lisa

congrats on your sale, we left house for sale aug o7 it was up from jan o7 sale fell through in nov 07 and its second buyer might be able to complete in 8 weeks its been a nightmare be glad when its over! good luck to all those waiting

lesley x

Hi Emma

Us too. we cant go unless we sell. Rent wouldnt cover the mortgage payments and need some of the money out of the house sale.

We put ours up for sale Jan 08 we have had 12 veiwings and dropped the price 30k but nothing!

It is so frustrating:(

We got our Visas in Jan 08 we validated last sept.

Ness

x

I feel your pain!!! we are in exactly the same boat, rent would not cover our mortgage payments either.

Fingers, toes and everthing else crossed for us all!

Emma

x

Congrats! you must be so happy after all this time!

Enjoy your new life down under!

Emma

:cute:

congrats on your sale, we left house for sale aug o7 it was up from jan o7 sale fell through in nov 07 and its second buyer might be able to complete in 8 weeks its been a nightmare be glad when its over! good luck to all those waiting

lesley x

Thanks guys.....but if they pull out of the sale I think I'll be in prison for a double murder! HAHA! I've had to start packing even though we haven't exchanged contracts because I'm having a major operation next wk and will be bed-ridden for 4-6wks!

Lisa,x

Good luck to you, you have obviously made the decision to go for it, part of me wants to be that determined, but with 4 children depending on us as well its hard

Tania X:nah:

Good luck everyone! Lisa

Well done Lisa on the house sale, its been along time coming for you, i bet you did plenty of celebrating, lets hope it all goes through for you

Best of luck

Tania X :smile:

Guest benedict1

Good luck everyone! Lisa

WHAT FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

I am soooo pleased for you! Let's hope it perks everybody up on here and that things might actually begin to move.

Guest pommy tiler

after about 5 months on the market ,quite a few viewers etc,sold it 3 weeks before xmas...dropped it by 50 000,sold for 250 000 after mortgage paid of will walk away with 120 000 in hand,a good start i guess for the future,probably just about drawn even with what i actually spent on the house and my original deposit.

house prices are still overpriced....people expect big returns for little effort put into there property,if you want to sell in this climate its got to priced acordingly,be of excellent condition inside and out and have something that has a little bit extra appeal to the buyer....theres big choice out there with many bog standard "boring" properties that will not sell....people are quite savvy when purchasing and want max spec for the cash in there pocket...the thought of having to refurb a place at expense to themselves isnt a good starting point in this climate,new bathrooms, modern kitchens etc are basic requirements in what attracts buyers,good sense of space and no clutter is essential.

kerbside appeal is another,scruffy and tatty exteriors dont attract buyers...quite the opposite....and finally be realistic in the whole process,look at what other properties are selling for in the area...and match or undercut by a small margin.....my personal view is if your in neg equity,dont even think about selling...its financial madness

Guest sanders family
Fingers crossed for you, lets hope it gets all signed and sealed this time.

We have another viewing on Saturday, this must be our 11 or 12 viewings now, its a nightmare

Good luck

Tania X:cry:

Thanks Tania its so stressful moving house and then all the viewings get you down, you think they are keen and then you hear nothing from them. good luck to you hope you sell soon. x

Guest WARDStoOZ

Good luck everyone! Lisa

Huge congrats!!!

Dan xx

Thank you all for your support!

I haven't been on these forums for a while and I knew the housing market was bad...but didn't realise that so many people were having such a hard time! With all of the 'congrats' that I'm getting I feel as though we have been approved for the visa all over again!!

Good luck everybody else!

Guest willdavis

Hi Guys,

Some good news - We have agreed a sale on our house today!!!!!

Let's hope it all goes through and all being well we will be a MASSIVE step closer to Oz being a reality.

Good luck to everyone sle trying to sell - it can be done. No-one viewed ours for 3 months and all of a sudden this happens.

All the best,

Will

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi Guys,

Let's hope it all goes through and all being well we will be a MASSIVE step closer to Oz being a reality.

Good luck to everyone sle trying to sell - it can be done. No-one viewed ours for 3 months and all of a sudden this happens.

All the best,

Will

Huge congrats Will and family!!! :jiggy:Let's hope it all goes through without a hitch!

Dan :-) :smile:

I can relate to you KJ I to am australia came over 8 years ago with a backpack.....now have a house three kids and two dogs later is alot harder to move back...

Hi Nicole,

At least I just have the hubby and the house, no kids or pets! It's funny to think that I came here for a holiday and now I am emigrating back home. I even took a year out and travelled around Oz and NZ, just like a proper British backpacker!

Where are you from and heading to? I'm from Perth but heading back to Canberra, where i lived before the UK.

Good luck getting sorted.

Cheers

KJ

Guest OgaPoga

We put our house on the market in April 08. Exchanged contracts in September 08. Honestly, it was absolute nightmare already back then, as it was a real struggle to sell. We saw same houses for Sale in our area for ages.. Basically - we needed to drop the price, so it seems "good value" for the buyer. We still sold at okey price, but now looking at the house market - we made a good decision back then, as it seems that houses now just do not really sell unless you make it cheaper. As our Estate agent said - if you want to sell, you need to beat the curve and just drop price by 10k. Eventually that worked.

So, good luck to everyone selling.

Hi Guys,

All the best,

Will

A big congratulations on the house sale, fingers crossed it will go through for you

Tania X:jiggy:

Guest brg1200
.............As our Estate agent said - if you want to sell, you need to beat the curve and just drop price by 10k. Eventually that worked.

This is rather true right now, they say prices have dropped 15% or so already, many pundits say another 15% still to go and guess what, I've probed the agents around here (Enfield north London) and 15% is exactly what they'll drop em by without any pushing - heard the expression "they'll take an offer" so many times now, was tempted in one case to shelve the emigration and just buy back in.

If a place is scruffy I reckon we're beginning to see some possible "good value" now

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jez0207

Hi KJ.

We put our house on the market in December and accepted an offer the same week. We had 3 people interested but all expected us to knock a big sum off the asking price because of the 'economic climate'. We did reduce the price by £20k for a quick sale. Not sure if we did the right thing but we figured that it will save us the expense of having to validate. Fingers crossed that our buyer completes. Good luck with your house sale,

Jez

We have sold our in 3 weeks.We had 7 viewings sold to the first person that viewed.We have spent the last year decorating and making sure the house looks good to sell.We had it up for offers between 230k-250k accepted an offer for 223k.Our buyer have sold there house our estate agent think it will go through in 3-4 weeks so now have to sort everything out. Hoping to be in brisbane by the end of march.

Sarah

Archived