Sellling house - has anyone managed to do it?

froggirl

haven't looked at this thread for a while (a bit too depressing) but I missed all the good news well done to those who have sold...we have been on the market for 2 weeks had one viewing (not at all interested in our house) think the estate agent just wanted us off his back for a while....it seems the secret is to drop the price...(I think we knew this from the start but we needed to try you can always go down but you can't go up) KJ I am from Naracoorte in the south east of south australia but we are looking at sydney (because of work) may end up back in SA living with parents if things don't pick up a bit aaaahhhhh.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest willdavis

Good to hear there is better news on the house selling front. 3 or 4 have sold recently on our estate and our solicitor says they have seen much more activity since Xmas. Good luck to all who are trying to sell!

Will

Guest benedict1
Congratulations to all those who have sold!

We have still not had any luck so we have taken another £10k of the price so fingers crossed. PLEASE let this help us shift our house.:arghh:

Good Luck to all

Emma

x

Aw Emma, we are in same position as you. Yes, it's frustrating but hang on in there!

Well done to all the others who have managed to secure a sale - now to the big move!!!!

Guest craigb549

Hi. We have had the house on the market since oct 2008 and are yet to have a single viewing. We have just dropped the asking price by 5k but spoke to the estate agent and they say the market is still really slow. i'm hoping the interest rate cut will kick start the market by summer time as we are applying to TRA within the next week. We will not proceed with the visa application until it has sold as we will need the money to fund the whole process of visa, meds police check and of course the big move.

It may be worth getting your skills assessed as once it's done it doesn't run out. Also it can be a bit of a drag getting all the info together.

good luck.

Hi All

We put our house up for sale in August, managed to sell for a price we were happy with, had it up for 245K and sold for 228K. Everything went through quickly and we were in our rental by end of November. Hate this rented house but know it is only a short time. We booked our flights and leave for Brisbane 2nd May. Think there is some hope as a few houses our way have started to sell,

Hope things go well for those waiting to sell

Helen

Guest slipshot

We came out here having tried to sell the house and did not get a single viewing in over 4 months. Not that we expected anything less, but it does depend onthe house itself and the price. Our house is very nicely decorated (nothing contentious etc, no flower covered walls) and is big but it seems that price means something but so does the actual cost. Ours was on the market for £485k, and not a sniff when the price was more than £520k either. We therefore decided, with interets rates so low, that a rental was the only option - then you get the chance that the renters will like ti enough to buy. Although it does mean we cannot buy here for the time being.

Such is the economy, but we have our rental agents keeping it on their books for free, without actively selling it, but responding to enquiries when relevant...

Guest yorkshirepud

Hi everyone - cant believe it, we had an offer on the house yesterday! And I also cant believe it was £40k below the asking price!! We have already reduced it by £10k. We refused the offer and are now thinking more about renting out!

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi everyone - cant believe it, we had an offer on the house yesterday! And I also cant believe it was £40k below the asking price!! We have already reduced it by £10k. We refused the offer and are now thinking more about renting out!

So sorry to hear about that cheeky offer... how can people be serious offering 40k below the asking price :arghh:

Dan xx

Guest yorkshirepud

I know, a damned insult really. I think people are going to be pushing their luck for a bargain, but how they can expect you to take such a loss is ridiculous.

Guest pommy tiler

i guess it depends what price there house was.....?

40000 0n a 400000 property is 10% drop from original price....houses are overpriced its a fact......in real terms houses have dropped by 18-20% on average,sellers are totally unrealistic in there pricing and what they "think" there house is worth.......the market is rockbottom you must price accordingly in this climate or you will not achieve a sale,full stop! i reduced by 50k,and had positive results and achieved a quick sale,its a buyers market for the forseable future,if you cant drop or wont drop you ll have very little interest in these dire times,quality of finish is also essential,buyers are looking for above average properties with quality fittings and decor,if your house is'nt up to scratch and doesnt have kerb appeal you ll be towards the back of the pile i feel!!

• 1 month later...
Guest ashmalog

any new from anyone else? we have had some positive viewings in the last few wks but no offers, changing agents tomorrow as feel they aren't proactive enough. we got visa in dec and are going out to melbourne in june to validate the visas - hoping we won't have to use the rtn part of the flight. lost out on a job because not sold yet - really depressing.

i see the market is slowly picking up.

We changed estate agents last week, so we had a viewing yesterday, which i thought was good, as it had not been on the market a week with these new estate agents. We had plenty of viewings with the old estate agents, but i think they were sending anyone round.

Tania X

Guest benedict1
any new from anyone else? we have had some positive viewings in the last few wks but no offers, changing agents tomorrow as feel they aren't proactive enough. we got visa in dec and are going out to melbourne in june to validate the visas - hoping we won't have to use the rtn part of the flight. lost out on a job because not sold yet - really depressing.

i see the market is slowly picking up.

Yes - we dropped our price 20k and had 3 'no shows' and had a viewing 2 weeks ago, very positive, said all the right thing... no work to do on house, built in appliances , well established garden blah blah, so I asked him his budget, wait for it......

30k less than what we were asking AFTER it had been dropped 20k!! :arghh:

Hmm, well at least the house got a good overhaul!!

P.S very well done to all those who have managed to sell!!!!!

Hi Guys..

I just wanted to try to lift some spirits by telling you that we are moving out next wk! (Last time I posted we had sold "subject to contract", and as we know... that doesn't really mean a thing until you've signed over!!). When we put the house on the market 3 yrs ago, we weren't sure of our intentions of emigrating or not, so we went with the estate agent with highest valuation just to test the water.

We had 3 full asking price offers, one of which we didn't hear from again, the other 2 hadn't sold their houses! We dropped about 8%, no interest, changed agents,dropped another 8% to a more competative price (but a price we were entirely happy with)and put in 2 new bathrooms and had an offer of 11k less!

They were very interested but said that their valuer had told them to offer 11k less! So I invited them around for lunch said that I understood but we were not prepared to drop the price anymore BUT we had no forward chain, we would not mess them around in any way and we would leave them our suite, dining table, drawers, washer, lawnmower etc etc (which we were leaving anyway). We said we would move out as soon as they wanted and we would be up front on every level. I gave them my mobile number too. They called that wknd to say they wanted to go ahead!! SOLD!!

I'm a little put out that i've got to pay the Agents £3,500 for not very much! (I even re-took my own photos as the last agents were rubbish!) So we got the same price for ours as the same house on the road sold for 2yrs ago!

So.. we signed last week and have been offered a 'free' house until we leave for Oz (which is brilliant because I was REALLY pee'd off about leaving a 'small' mortgage and having to pay £800+ a month in rent for 6 months.... which was the shortest contract!)

So not only have we no rent to pay, we can book the flights for as soon as we like (poss July when Daughter finishes school for summer, poss earlier!)

It's been extremely difficult packing/throwing away/charity shopping 12yrs of our belongings! Particularly as i'm not allowed off the sofa (I can point and direct!!) In fact, our Daughter Maddison has been sorting her room out for 3wks and I think she's got MORE in there than she started with (that's what it looks like when I open.... then shudder and shut the door every day!)

And no, we don't have jobs lined up.....and yes we ARE quite worried...but what do we do? Empoylers in Oz are not interested in people 10,000 miles away when there's people on the doorstep! Also, who knows how long this will go on! We could be sat here in 2yrs saying 'well the job situation is still bad so we'll wait another 6months'!! I know we could live to regret it...but we can only TRY!!

Oh! Sorry! That turned into a life-story didn't it! Well I hope it gave people some hope that their are still buyers around!

Lisa,xx

Guest benedict1

What a lovely post!

It's great to hear some good news. Good luck with the job situation. We can make excuses / reasons to not go because we're scared (I know this because my OH keeps doing just that!)

Now to bite the bullet and go.... and ENJOY

All the very best.

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi

We've been really lucky sold house for £4k under asking price to 1st viewer last week, surveyor is coming on friday. Our buyer fell in love with the house straight away and came back with a builder to give her a quote on loft conversion. She in turn has sold to 1st time buyer who's also keen to move asap. Although we're really excited we know that until the surveyor has agreed the valuation and we've exchanged anyone can back out.

We did the red envelope & green candle thing and they seem to have worked - must have to agree a sale in current climate in just over 4 weeks. So fingers crossed we're off in july with no jobs but money in the bank and free accom with my sister-in-law. If it all falls into place fab, if it doesn't and we come back well at least in 10years time we won't be thinking "i wonder what if..."

Good luck to all

Lisa

Guest snow white

thats really great news too hear were still in the chain of waiting to exchange after being in oz 19 months please send some of your good luck on house selling my way lol

lesley x

Guest benedict1
Hi

We've been really lucky sold house for £4k under asking price to 1st viewer last week' date=' surveyor is coming on friday. Our buyer fell in love with the house straight away and came back with a builder to give her a quote on loft conversion. She in turn has sold to 1st time buyer who's also keen to move asap. Although we're really excited we know that until the surveyor has agreed the valuation and we've exchanged anyone can back out.

We did the red envelope & green candle thing and they seem to have worked - must have to agree a sale in current climate in just over 4 weeks. So fingers crossed we're off in july with no jobs but money in the bank and free accom with my sister-in-law. If it all falls into place fab, if it doesn't and we come back well at least in 10years time we won't be thinking "i wonder what if..."

Good luck to all

Lisa[/quote']

Great post!! Well done.

:biglaugh: (Never heard of the envelope and candle thingymagig?)

Hello

Well after 5 months of nothing we had a viewer last night!!:jiggy:

I am not building my hopes up though as he was a young student from Saudi whose family want to buy him a property. I don't fancy his chances of getting a mortgage but you never know, just glad someone came to look!

Emma

x

Hello

Well after 5 months of nothing we had a viewer last night!!:jiggy:

I am not building my hopes up though as he was a young student from Saudi whose family want to buy him a property. I don't fancy his chances of getting a mortgage but you never know, just glad someone came to look!

Emma

x

a young student from saudi,migth have rich parents fingers crossed,never know full asking price and a cash buyer:wink:

Guest snow white

exactly you never know hon weve just had an email to say our buyers expect to complete easter weekend only been in oz 19 months be glad to no longer pay uk mortgage as well as oz one fingers crossed for all waiting for buyers

lesley x

Archived