has the credit crunch started to affect your job?????

Guest adey

Hi, Good luck with meeting, I hope all goes well. My OH sent you a message yesterday I think about jobs. Really bad timing on his behalf, I am sorry! Please ignore email!

Things in UK are not great. OH is structural engineer but worked as self emp developer for last 5 years doing commerial, retail and residential. Work is scarce locally, lots of our subbys have laid off staff, banks not lending and no one buying, so its come to a stand still. I have 5 friends living in the lovely (and usually v desirable) village where we live with houses on the market and only one had a viewing in 3 months!! Ouch!

Anyway no more doom and gloom - seriously, hope things are ok for you.

Cheers Kirsti

doom & gloom? not round here never been better in uk.

Guest kirstig123
doom & gloom? not round here never been better in uk.

Hopefully things are on the up here too, soon. I should have a rant more often - had a call from estate agents saying that they have had quite a few enquiries since opening again in January, so cross fingers things will start moving again. It will give me more confidence when I see a sold sign somewhere! It might then happen to me!

Life is too good for doom and gloom, I must have been looking at too many dark clouds!! Glad alll is well in your neck of the woods.

Not a job related credit crunch comment but yesterday the credit crunch impacted on me with respect to banking.

I have had a credit card with an Aus bank for years but decided to close it because it doesnt have associated rewards which interest me any more (I like to get Frequent Flyer points because I like to fly home frequently!). As I was chatting with the "why are you closing this account?" chap he told me that their bank had recently opened up a FF card and on thinking about it it seemed to offer a slightly better deal than the bank I am currently with so I said I would get that card instead of the one I was closing. (I am getting to the point). When they took down all my assets (better than most) my salary (just about average) and my liabilities (none) it all seemed plain sailing. When he went to do the "how much credit can we give you?" bit, they would only offer me a limit of $5K on the card!!!! Now the one I already had had an $8k limit on it and when I took it out, sure I had a higher income but I also had a mortgage and very little savings plus a couple of dependent kids. So, yes, I think the credit crunch is hitting, not only in the job market but in little things like credit card applications.

That in itself might be a heads up for anyone planning on coming to Aus and getting a high limit credit card - it might not be as easy as it once was. Must say I was a tad gobsmacked because in the past they have been offering me credit cards like sweeties. It was also a worry because I put everything on the credit card and many months it would definitely go over the 5K but I pay it off totally every month.

At the moment my hubby who is a chippy has plenty of work on albeit not as much as he normally has but he has work...he has loads of builder mates who have had to lay men off so we have to keep our fingers crossed it carries on til we leave... the only concern we have is that if we leave here where he can always call in a favour and do a bit a wheeling and dealing to go somewhere which is totally different...total strangers and no work...we are heading for Vic so any feedback would be welcome

Lisax

We have been ok here so far! John who is a plumber has had a normal if not busier time! Not with just frozen or burst pipes which you would expect at this time of year, but all normal plumbing also, fingers crossed it will continue,

scary thoughts , my oh works for GE and has just been informed there are going to be redundencies in waves over the next 3 months ! were here in uk , at the mo but its seriosly given me cold feet as to what the engineering jobs will be like in wa ,

dont panic we looked at www.seek.com.au last night to try out other options and there were loads of engineering jobs being advertised for Perth (all ads placed this week as well), we live 2 hours away in the South West so we may just have to move up to Perth and find a new sponsor....see there is always light at the end of every tunnel.

Hope everythingis ok at work on Monday as a nurse we should be ok but hubby is going to have to find work when we arrive say thanks to sarah for her reply to my questions did you build your house in dalleyup Ellie

Hope everythingis ok at work on Monday as a nurse we should be ok but hubby is going to have to find work when we arrive say thanks to sarah for her reply to my questions did you build your house in dalleyup Ellie

yep we built our house and moved in October 2008 and we love it as it really settles you in. The only downside to building is the length of time it takes from start to finish so you have to rent during that time and once they start to build you have to start paying part of the mortgage (they spilt it into different stages so it increases with the build).

We love living here and hopefully from what we have heard from the bosses yesterday we should be safe, the South West has loads of infrastructure still to be built so fingers crossed we should be safe for a while longer. If not we may just have to relocate to other offices but at least it means we stay in Australia we'll just have to sell up and start again....but life would be boring if it was simple wouldn't it.

Glad to her everything is ok! I plan to call on you for answers to questions about Bunbury for the next six months and hopefully meet you at the end. Ellie

Hubby is a bricklayer and has not worked for a month now. Has just managed to get some work today building an extension.

thank god if not for his sanity alone x

Hi

My o/h is a brickie too. he has only had 8 days work this month so far. It is not good - no agencies have any work, and all his contacts are the same. It is not a good time at all.

Mx

Glad to her everything is ok! I plan to call on you for answers to questions about Bunbury for the next six months and hopefully meet you at the end. Ellie

fire away with questions, job is safe for now but they only have about 5 months max work so house is going on the market and if and I mean if we manage to sell we will rent until the job finishes and try to stash as much cash as we can before we get sent back home.

Bunbury is lovely its a country town even though they call it a city, depends where you came from back in the UK but to us its a town. Very laid back, very quiet, nice people, beautiful beaches, can drive to beautiful places and its the best of both worlds if you ask me.

good luck with your move over and hopefully we'll still be here when you get here, fingers, toes and everything crossed for now

Archived