ASPC processing times - update 13th Jan 2009

Guest pies

Guest LindyClogs

Thanks, Gill, for your fast and helpful reply.

We have a bit of a dilemma now - from reading other posts and your reply it would seem to be a good idea to get meds and police checks done now so all is in place when a job offer is received. Problem is that other posts say 'wait' so that time doesn't run out on the meds etc.

Don't know whether to sit tight or go for it...

Thanks again,

LindyClogs

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pandj6224
Can anyone please offer me some advice please?

We submitted our 175 visa in June 2008, and sent our police cerificates and completed meds early December. My Husbands job is on the MODL, and CSL. However after reading som posts it suggests that we mwy now be better (to speed things up) to apply for state sponsorship. Can anyone please advise what we need to do for this??, and how we go about doing it. I have looked on the DIAC website but i need things explaining in simple laymans terms.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Amanda

Hi,

Sorry no real advice here, we submitted our 175 in January 08, Oh is a Nurse, everything passed, Visa application was accepted on the 17Th of Jan 08 and payment taken, it still shows, being processed, on the advice of our agent we frontloaded our meds and Pc's in May 08, Oh dear, those will run out around the 15 0f May 09 !!

Lets hope this sorry situation is sorted quicky, as another post stated, the goal posts do move, indeed my wife had to sit the Ielts test after they changed the points system n August/ September 07.....

The longer it goes on, the worse it seems to get, our agent told us before Christmas.....You probably get an answer for 2 or 3 months !! We're just a bit fed up with our lives being on hold and in a state of limbo......

Pat, Janie & the five.....

Guest moonlit_valley
Hi, I applied for a 175 visa late August. I am unsure weather to go for a 176 instead.

There are no obligations placed on 175. If ASPC will start processing us on the CSL after the 13th of Feb, then it should be quicker just to stick with the 175 application? Or do you think there will only be time to process applications with State and Territory nomination? Thanks! Elli

Hi,

My Wife's occupation is on the Modl & critical skills list also, however we're on the 175, not so great then as they are not as I understand allocating any Co's for the 175 stream !! Or did I miss something ???

Thanks

Pat

Can anyone please offer me some advice please?

We submitted our 175 visa in June 2008, and sent our police cerificates and completed meds early December. My Husbands job is on the MODL, and CSL. However after reading som posts it suggests that we mwy now be better (to speed things up) to apply for state sponsorship. Can anyone please advise what we need to do for this??, and how we go about doing it. I have looked on the DIAC website but i need things explaining in simple laymans terms.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Amanda

Hi,

We're in exactly the same position and wondered the same wonderings. I asked our agent about two points specifically with regards to the following statements issued by the DIAC email:

Priority is given to applications with a successful State & Territory Nomination (until all applications have been allocated); and then... CSL

It's the "until all applications have been allocated" bit that gave me the shivers. I asked if this included all *new* coming-in State applications? Surely there will *always* be a constant stream of State applications coming in, indefinitely. This is a little concering when tied in with the following statement:

Applications with Occupations on the Critical Skills List: Applications are not being allocated at present.

Our agent said in theory, yes, that is what it means but we will have to see how they will manage the load realistically. They will have to start on the other lists at some stage, surely.

Second point states...

Applications are now being allocated as follows:

State & Territory Nominated Applications:

Subclass 134, 136, 137, 175, 176, 475, 487, 495, 885 and 886 applications (processed by the ASPC and where a successful State or Territory Nomination

is held) will all be allocated to case officers for assessment by 13 February 2009. Followed by...

Applications with Occupations on the Critical Skills List:

Applications are not being allocated at present

175 has been put in the same priority category as the State Nominations. Is this a typo? Our agent was unsure.

Hey, it's in _ _ _ _ _ _ _ hands.We've come to the decision that it really is time to sit back, be patient and get on iwth our lives. Otherwise we'll just end up going:wacko: and fail our medicals!

I was recently given some very good advice about the new CSL... No one has the answers as to "Who is next" "Will we get priority" etc etc

That advice was to sit tight, WAIT til Feb and "see what happens "and to reflect on "what has happened"! Then we may have a better picture and know which way to go!

Chris

Hello moonlit valley, This is what Chris just said and I agree. I don't think there's any point in doing anything at the moment if you're on the CSL and applied last year. I'm just going to wait till February and see what's going to happen then. Good luck! Elli

Guest ChewyMonster

Does anyone know how many State Sponsor places are available in the current year? I assume its less than what's available for skilled migration.

We too are 175 and on the CSL/MODL lists. I'm just telling myself, surely at some point they will have to start processing other applications.

Am on MODL and CSL lists too. Applied for 175 in October. Have just waded through this thread and although there is helpful advice, still not sure I am any wiser!!! Just think I have to be patient, tho feel like bursting into tears! Am freezing cold and just want to start my new life!:cry:!

Guest funkzig

Hi all

Order! Order!

Can I suggest that newcomers to this discussion read this thread thoroughly before posting the same questions again and again.

I've followed the thread from the beginning and I think its fair to say that all the 'known' answers to all of the main questions on everyone lips have been posted and answered, Alan and Gill must be thoroughly exhausted...!:wink:

Chewymonster asks a good question though which hasn't been answered (and I asked a similar question a few days ago), which was:

How many Regional/State Sponsored places are actually available in a 'migration year'?

Perhaps its unlimited and goes into the same 'bucket' as non sponsored Skilled applications, but if it isn't and there is a limit, it would give us a view of likely processing times for the rest of us.

In fact, does anyone know the breakdown of the 133k visas set out by the minster for 08/09?

Or does anyone know the split of applications in the existing backlog?

eg

Regional x apps or x%

CSL y apps or y%

MODL z apps or z%

SOL a apps or a%

That way we could take the estimated backlog waiting time and split it up accordingly!

Hoorah!

Cheers all

Funkzig

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Hi Jane we are in the same boat as you, applied Oct o8, 175 we are on the MODL and the CSL dont really want to do meds yet as the housing market is so bad. Will have to just sit tight.xx:confused:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

This is an attempt to answer the questions raised by Funzkig and Chewy Monster.

Here is the relevant section of the DIAC Annual Report for the 2007-2008 Financial Year:

1.1.1 Economic migration - Outcome 1.1 - Annual Report 2007–2008

As far as I know they don't set sub-quotas within the 133,500. Hitherto the focus seems to have been to encourage some trends (eg State Sponsorship) but not to the extent of skewing the whole GSM Program towards it as the Minister has done with effect from 1st Jan 2009.

DIAC also publish Fact Sheets and there is some information in some of those which some might find interesting. I tend to prefer the Annual Report, myself, for the questions raised on this thread.

I hope this is of some vague help at least. I don't have access to the detailed information that people really want, I suspect. It would probably be necessary to use the Freedom Of Information Act in order to get it.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest massagh

Hi

If you visit the British Expats forum there is an interesting post under the immigration topic called "Unofficial Visa Count" which is very interesting reading. The OP has some interesting calculations regarding the length of time it will take to process STNI Visas.

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

If this link works the way I want it to it should bring up a table of ow the Visas' are divided.

Fingers crossed!!lol

Hope this helps

Sharon :unsure:

Guest funkzig

Very useful Sharon, thanks :)

Thought I would share some speculative adhoc figures with you all.

If we look at the breakdown of the table in Sharon's link I'll use the total SKILL figure of 133,500 for 08/09.

Breakdown

28k Employee Sponsored - presume 475, always a priority I believe

74.5k Skilled - presume 175 etc, split between CSL, MODL and SOL

9k Regional Sponsored - presume the 176 and a priority too

111.5k Sub Total

14.5k Skilled Australian - not sure what this visa is? Have ignored for these calcs.

7k Others

21.5k Sub Total

133k Total

Caveat

Appreciate that the figures above are estimates and the recent announcement is likely to increase volumes of Employee & Regional Sponsored but consider the following speculation:

Priorities (recently announced - based on 12 months planned figures)

1. Employer sponsored visas (28k or 21%)

2. State or territory Government sponsored visas (9k or 6%)

3. Occupations on the critical skills list (part of the 74k or 56%)

4. Occupations on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (part of the 74k)

5. All other valid applications (part of the 74k)

So assuming the existing timeline is 12 months for all 111.5k visas and with 6 months gone, that leaves approx 55.75k visas to approve.

Timelines then look like (based on 6 months planned figures)

1. Employer sponsored visas (14k = 1.5 Months to process)

2. State or territory Government sponsored visas (4.5k = 0.5 Months)

3. Occupations on the critical skills list and 4 &5 below (37k = 4 Months)

4. Occupations on the Migration Occupations in Demand List

5. All other valid applications

In summary then 1 & 2 will be complete by end Feb (roughly matches up with recent announcement) and then rest commence...

What we don't know is the split between CSL, MODL and SOL.

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree so happy to be corrected but thought it would be interesting to speculate!

Cheers all

Funkzig

Guest Gollywobbler

Hu Funzkig

Please slow down and read the footnotes!

You are going to get absolutely nowhere by trying to analyse the table here:

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

The figures are for Grants during the Program Year 1st July 2007 to 30th June 2008. They include:

• A shedload of offshore visas such as the old 136 and its various rellies
  • The onshore versions of the old 136 and all their various rellies
  • Some 175s, 176s etc because the new visa numbers did not come into being until 1st September 2007
  • The onshore versions of the current crop of offshore visas as well

You would do far better to work from the Annual Report for the same period:

1.1.1 Economic migration - Outcome 1.1 - Annual Report 2007–2008

The graph at Fig 5 is good enough for our purposes.

Skilled Australian Sponsored means "Sponsored by Aussie Rellies."

Skilled Independent means "Not Sponsored by anyone."

State/Territory Sponsored is worthy of note simply because there have been so few of them hitherto, comparitively.

Fig 5 IGNORES the PR-giving employer-sponsored ENS, RSMS and Labour Agreement visas but the Stats tell us that 28,000 of those were granted in 2007/8.

Even if you delve even more deeply and discover the breakdown between onshore and offshore visas for 2007/8, the information is of no practical value because the CSL did not exist until 1st Jan 2009 and the Minister did not skew the entire skilled migration program towards employer-sponsored and State Sponsored visas until 1st Jan 2009 either.

The Minister has two main objectives for 2008/9. which are to:

1. Get that figure of 28,000 up as much as he can; and

2. Skew the Fig 5 graph so that it shows much more sludge green by the time of the next version.

He will only half succeed in 2008/9 because he did not introduce the new scheme till half way through the current program year. However if his new scheme works, Fig 5 should show some startling changes by the end of June 2009.

However there are too many imponderables at this stage for anyone to be able to predict anything much in advance. These include:

A. In an ideal world processing times at the State Migration centres will not slow down. In reality they are bound to slow down because these centres do not have the resources to cope with the new burden suddenly placed upon them.

B. A LOT of visa applicants are unaware of the 1st January changes as yet. There are about 4,000 Registered Migration Agents world wide. About 400 of them are on the ball on a good day. Mostly they are not up to much, I assure you. The 4,000 RMAs only represent about 20% of all visa applicants anyway. A couple who rang me last night had asked their Agent. They had to ask him - he was not switched on at all. He told them that the changes do not affect them because "you had lodged your visa application before the changes came into effect." Which is complete rubbish. The only applicants who are not affected are those who had COs on their cases before 31st Dec 2008. This couple are caught up in the changes, whatever their dopey agent imagines.

C. Of the comparitively small number of visa applicants who have become aware of the 1st Jan changes, many are fence-sitting at the moment. I was on the phone with another couple this evening. Hubby is on the CSL and the MODL. Is it worth their while to apply for State Sponsorship as well? The three of us chewed the cud. We concluded that the shot is too close to call. Until things start to happen with applications which are reliant on the CSL but are not State Sponsored it is simply impossible to know whether it is worth bothering with a State application which itself might take time at State level. Realistically, hindsight is the only thing that will actually tell us whether it would be a worthwhile step or not. We left it that they will contact their Agent in the morning to see what she thinks. (NB - She has not been pro-active enough to contact them about the changes - see above.)

D. British Expats & Poms in Oz between us are only involved with a very small number of visa applicants. The majority of the members of both are British but the Brits only represent 18% of the overall total anyway. We have no way of knowing how much awareness there is in all the other countries and we don't know how much awareness there is amongst graduate ex-Students in Oz either.

E. We don't know whether this is a short-term blip in the handling of the migration program or whether the Minister intends to make it the New Norm for the remainder of his own tenure at least. I would guess that skewing the whole program in this way must have cost-implications for DIAC. I don't know whether the States see it as a windfall (loads of new migrants, exactly the ones they want, headed straight for them) or whether they see it as a naffing expensive nuisance that they are expected to bear.

I do admire the Aussies for the fact that they actually think about these issues - I see no evidence of any thinking going on in the UK as far as Immigration to the UK is concerned. "Abandon all hope of controlling it and abandon all effort at trying to," seems to be the only "message" in the UK, along with, "Cook the books big-style so that the PM can deny that there is a problem."

I support the Aussies 100% for their refusal to lie down and give up the ghost on these same issues facing them.

Cheers

Gill

Guest kkris.san

hi friends,

im unable to open the DIAC website..it slows down when i try to open it and shows only partially the site...is any1 else facing the same??? i have been facing this since last 3 weeks....as coz of this i am unable to even mail them or rea any updates from the media page!!

i have heard that of the total applications at the immig office..only about 7% fall under state sponsored category..is this true???

can anyone pls paste the info from the website about any updates???

please

i wud truly appreciate...

best regards

krisha

Guest Grace1981

THIS IS WHAT OUR AGENT HAS SAID TO US ABOUT THE CHANGES

As you may be aware, DIAC recently announced changes to the Skilled Migration programme, and specifically the order in which visa applications will be processed.

This announcement came following the introduction of the Critical Skills List (CSL) in December 2008, a new list of occupations which is designed to be responsive in fulfilling the needs of the Australian economy and which has been used to determine the priority of applications since January 1st, 2009.

As a result, the current order of applications is as follows:

1. Applicants for state or territory Government sponsored visas (i.e. Skilled State Sponsored subclass 176 and Skilled Regional State Sponsored subclass 475 visa applications);

2. Applicants with occupations on the CSL;

3. Applicants with occupations on the Migration Occupations in Demand List (MODL);

4. All other valid visa applications.

However, we have also received notification that DIAC will be allocating all State Sponsored subclass 176 and Regional State Sponsored subclass 475 visa applications to a case officer for processing by February 13th, 2009. This will have immediate effect on all applications of these subclasses, regardless of whether it was a paper application or an online one, and whether the application was submitted before or after January 2009.

Once these applications have been processed, the next tier of applications (i.e. applicants with occupations on the CSL) will be allocated and assessed. Once these have all been assessed, occupations on the MODL will be processed and so on.

What does this mean?

Effectively, this means that DIAC are currently only assessing State Sponsored 176 and Regional State Sponsored 475 applications, and that all other applications (Skilled Independent 175, Family Sponsored 176, Regional Family Sponsored 475) are not being allocated to a case officer for processing.

However, Visa Bureau is taking the stance that applicants who are NOT on state sponsored visas should remain calm, rather than assume that their application will be subject to delays. We believe that this news is a new initiative DIAC has taken to regulate its processing as a response to various economic and political pressures, and we advise all clients to remain patient until DIAC has provided us with a full outline of this new situation.

We say this because there a number of issues that remain unclear, such as whether DIAC are working to a set timeframe in which they will process each tier of applications, or whether priority will continue to be given to newly lodged state sponsored 176 and 475 applications. Therefore, we ask that until we have this information, you do not panic or make any snap decisions that could upset all the hard work already completed in assembling your visa application.

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Now that certinly makes sence thankyou for putting this on here you have made it all a lot clearer, luckily we are on the CSL list so hopefully wont have to wait much longer.

Guest zedster

Subclass 134, 136, 137, 175, 176, 475, 487, 495, 885 and 886 applications

(processed by the ASPC and where a successful State or Territory Nomination

is held) will all be allocated to case officers for assessment by 13

February 2009.

We're probably on course for submitting our 475 application end of February / beginning of march.

Does that mean that because we'll be lodging after the 13th Feb we'll be waiting a loooong time for CO allocation or will they still continue to quickly process 475s after the 13th Feb?

We have everything ready to attach with our application apart from meds & pcs.

Guest Tam-and-Andi

Hi Gill and all concerned,

I just wanted to give a quick update on what I have managed to find out from Cheryl Bird our agent.

As you may remember we have applied for a 175 skilled visa, OH is a carpenter, and has a job offer in place. We have had our PC's and med's done. Along with many, many of others, we have now gone "3rd" in the line, but wanted to ask the question "what happens if we have a job offer in place". So we are now "decission ready" as our med's were finalized on Friday 16th Jan. So Cheryl called ASPC to put this to them to see what they would say, but to make sure I get this the right way round I will just copy and paste her email on here for you to have a read:

Just to let you know I called ASPC this morning and spoke to a gentleman called ******. I advised him that I had spoken to a lady in the Region 1 Managers office on 5 January regarding Tam’s job offer and that she advised contacting them jus to let them flag this.

He advised that we don not have a case officer as yet (which we are aware of) but he e-mailed the Manager of Region 1 direct to notify her of your TRN number and of Tams job offer. He said that he did not know if this would lead to generation of a case officer as they are working strictly to the ministers instructions but he hoped it might advance a case officer (no promises but we will keep our fingers crossed).

(Thanks Cheryl)

so I hope this helps answer some peoples questions even though we have not been given a definate answer, we will just keep holding on.

Take care, and good luck to everyone, it will be our turn soon!!!

Andi.xx

Guest The "legdes"

Hi All,

We are in a similar boat as Tam - lodged in July, CSL and MODL and have had a job offer since June 08. Our agent (Ian) contacted them too and seems to have been told a similar story. Let's hope something happens soon as we are getting scared to keep saying to our employer that we have no news yet. They've been patient so far (which just shows how desperately the occupation really is needed) but how long they are expected to wait seems beyond reason (7months and counting) !

Hi Guys,

I just submitted online application to DIAC yesterday. I have a small clarification.

1. Should we wait for a CO to be allocated to further send our documents as per the check list?

2.With regards to specific work experience- Should we send the payslips for the entire period of employment? I have a sucessfull skill assesment by AIM.

Thanks

Chan

Guest Tam-and-Andi
Hi All,

We are in a similar boat as Tam - lodged in July, CSL and MODL and have had a job offer since June 08. Our agent (Ian) contacted them too and seems to have been told a similar story. Let's hope something happens soon as we are getting scared to keep saying to our employer that we have no news yet. They've been patient so far (which just shows how desperately the occupation really is needed) but how long they are expected to wait seems beyond reason (7months and counting) !

Hi,

We know how you feel with regards to making them wait for us to go over. Tam's "New employer" has been on the scene since June 08 and I really don't think he thought it would take this long when he agreed to give Tam the job offer, but he has been great, and over the months we have all built up a really good relationship with him and have been really lucky, so we are keeping our fingers crossed this continues, but we really hate not being able to give him the "good news" that we are on our way, but we did receive an email this morning from him letting us know how lovely the weather was, and at the end he just said "keep smiling" he has been great.

Let's hope we can give him some good news soon.

Take care, and fingers crossed to everyone waiting.

Andi.xx

Hi Everyone

I've been trying to send a blank e-mail to ASPC to get the latest information on processing times, but alas no e-mail back :no: not sure if it's anything to do with my security setting on my e-mail? so I was just wondering if anyone had an update they could share with me :hug:.

Denise x

Denise,

As requested:

GENERAL SKILLED MIGRATION ADELAIDE

PROCESSING INFORMATION FOR THE WEEK COMMENCING:

19 January 2009

This is an automated e-mail response which provides weekly updated

information on skilled migration applications being processed by the

Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre. Please do not reply to this email

address. This mailbox is not monitored. Our contact details are listed

below.

ASPC APPLICATION ALLOCATION INFORMATION

On 17 December 2008 the Minister for Immigration and Citizenship announced

changes to the way General Skilled Migration applications will be allocated

and processed. Details can be found on the DIAC website at:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/whats-new.htm#j

As a result of this announcement from 1 January 2009 applications for

General Skilled Migration will be strictly allocated and processed in the

following priority order:

1. Applications with a successful State & Territory Nomination (until

all applications have been allocated); and then

2. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Critical

Skills List (until all applications have been allocated); then

3. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Migration

Occupations in Demand List (until all applications have been allocated);

then

4. All other remaining applications

This affects all applications lodged before and after 1 January 2009, both

paper lodged or electronically lodged. Applications which were already

allocated to case officers before 1 January 2009 are un-affected and will

be processed as usual to finalisation.

Applications are now being allocated as follows:

Subclass 134, 136, 137, 175, 176, 475, 487, 495, 885 and 886 applications

(processed by the ASPC and where a successful State or Territory Nomination

is held) will all be allocated to case officers for assessment by 13

February 2009.

Applications with Occupations on the Critical Skills List:

Applications with Occupations on the Migration Occupations in Demand List:

All Other Remaining Applications

Subclasses 485 and 887 are not subject to the above changes. The

allocation dates for these subclasses are as follows:

VC 485 (paper): 06 March 2008

VC 485 (E-lodged): 25 February 2008

VB 887: 22 September 2008

PROCESSING NEWS

BRISBANE

The BSPC is now processing the following eVisa Onshore General Skilled

Migration applications:

· Subclass 885, 886 and 487 lodged on or after 1 December 2007

· Subclass 485 lodged on or after 1 March 2008

· Subclass 887 lodged on or after 1 July 2008

Allocation dates and information regarding applications processed in

Brisbane can be obtained by sending a blank email to the following email

address:

gsmb.information@immi.gov.au

CAPITAL INVESTMENT UPDATE

Please refer to the latest information available online at:

Frequently Asked Questions – Capital Investment Scheme

MEDICAL RESULTS

Please do not post your medical results to us. Do not open the sealed

envelope or forward the results to the Department unless your case officer

specifically requests they be sent.

CONTACTING US

Email: Enquiries for the ASPC and BSPC need to be made using the

on-line enquiry form at: General Skilled Migration Post-Lodgement Enquiry Form

ASPC Telephone:

1300 364 613 (in Australia) for the cost of a local call; or

+61 1300 364 613 (outside Australia)

ASPC Contact Hours: (Australian Central Time):

0900 to 1600 Monday to Friday (except Wednesdays)

0900 to 1300 Wednesdays

Please note: due to the large volume of calls we receive, from time to time

you may experience lengthy delays before getting to speak to a customer

service officer.

Archived