moving back

Guest petmarchehol

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the problem with heat is that over several days of heat, the whole house heats up within the bricks/foundations and then even it it turns cool it takes a while for the house to 'cool' down if you don't have airconditioning, it can be very stuffy and uncomfortable. I even had a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom, and that was great too. On low it just circulates air (many Queensland homes exist on these).

It is just not realistic to live without any form of aircon here, so if any OH's don't like it, maybe they need to go an sit in another room!

My Aussie in laws phone every week and they ALWAYS complain about it being too hot (Adelaide)..."Stinkin hot" they say. Aussie hubby says he LOVES the cold weather here, in fact he works outside every day, and says he had 40 odd years of red hot days and nights of not being able to sleep because of the heat, and they couldnt always have the air con on because it cost too much or there were power cuts because everyone was using the electricity.

He enjoys "rugging up" as he calls it and going for walks in all weathers instead of waiting till it cools off a bit and having to spend all day in the house/car/mall trying to keep the sun and the heat out.

Guest earlswood
Perhaps you should have had a swim in the sea. Its the blue thing between the beach and the sky.

You kidding:dull:with all that effulent and sewearage in it.....no thanks.

Guess it depends where you live how you deal with really hot days. The beach wasn't a solution for me as there was no shade. We used to go up the nearest mountain and spend a day walking in the rainforest and having a picnic, much cooler and more wildlife. In Brisbane you're spoilt for choice for places, Binna Burra and O'Reilley's in the Gold Coast Hinterland; many different spots up Mt Glorious and Mt Nebo, Noosa National Park - just some of our favourite places with lots of happy memories. Or how about a swim at Kondallila where the water is always freezing? Get creative and find those cool spots - they're there!

Deb

meme and jenki

thank you for your lovely emails . did you receive my emails back as not sure i have done them right

you two have been great to talk to and i hope you will help me through this please.

Petmarchehol

Hope your ok

I did receive you email,Just pm'd you back.

Meme

• 5 months later...
Guest Kierodeniro

Good for you! I'm returning to the UK in 3 months for the very same reasons. I can't bloody wait! :-)

My Aussie in laws phone every week and they ALWAYS complain about it being too hot (Adelaide)..."Stinkin hot" they say. Aussie hubby says he LOVES the cold weather here, in fact he works outside every day, and says he had 40 odd years of red hot days and nights of not being able to sleep because of the heat, and they couldnt always have the air con on because it cost too much or there were power cuts because everyone was using the electricity.

He enjoys "rugging up" as he calls it and going for walks in all weathers instead of waiting till it cools off a bit and having to spend all day in the house/car/mall trying to keep the sun and the heat out.

how is it too expensive?

no one in uk freezes because the heating is too expensive

We sold EVERYTHING to come to oz. House, cars, furniture, the lot, said our good-byes, with no intention of ever coming back. Hubby thought i was making massive misaake coming back, so agreed i should come back with kids and see if i was not thinking right and he would stay there and if i regretted move after a few weeks/months, i could just come back (we have pr visas), but if i really wanted to be in uk, he would follow us home. I DEFINATELY know it's right decision to be back, but hubby hasn't followed yet as is very torn what to do, feels like it's a wasted opportunity and we gave up and spent so much to get there, so is in between a rock and a hard place, as he thinks i will still come back (no chance!) but is very reluctant to come home. I just think he needs time to get oz out his system. Oz does strange things to peoples minds. I have a friend from uk who came to oz just after me, who had the same issues as me about oz,just didn't like it and was very unhappy, she left not long ago, left her husband there too, he really loved it there, but is now thinkng of following her home for good in about 6 months (he is tied up in work contracts, etc). At the end of the day, home is where the heart is, never a truer saying. You KNOW if oz is for you, and it makes it harder people saying you have to give it more time, etc, i was told that, and the weight that fell offf my shoulders coming back home was unbelieveable, as i was just SO miserable there, i was dying inside. I KNEW that oz wasn't for me.

i've noticed that it's usually the men that seem to adapt better not only poms coming here, but also aussie men in uk

Hi petmarchehol

I never hated oz as soon as i arrived, as i had wanted to be there so badly, so i was in a kind of 'holiday' mode for a month or 2. But i must say i remember driving from Melbourne airport to the eastern suburbs we were going to live in and thinking 'hhmmm' not what i expected! Just with the houses, streets, no one about. But i told myself to get over it, as its ment to be different, and different it was, that was it! Reading and researching just isn't good enough to be there and living it, i also had family living 5mins down the road from us too!

We had done winter in England, then arrived in Melbourne as winter was starting, never let that bother me to much, but a month or so before we left summer was starting, and reaching 30degrees, and i used to say to kids, do you want to go to the beach, 'no' they would say, it's to hot, want to go to the park? 'no' it's too hot, fancy a picnic in the garden?'no' it's too hot, the kids have always enjoyed the sunshine, but when it came to living in it, they soon tired of it! I also took them to an open swimming pool, (even though, they didn't want to go) after half an hour, they were bored and just too hot!) we went to the inside pool, but they just wanted to go home then, they were not in the mood! The sun isn't everything to enjoy your life style. I heard too from my family who live in Melbourne and his Australian other half that when it gets so hot they just stay indoors with the aircon on, curtains drawn to keep out heat, as the sun is far too dangers to be in... i, too thought, well whats the point?!!

But, like i said, i'm still glad i went, i just would have never have known if i hadn't.

one thing about oz that doesn't bother me is the weather

what does annoy me though is that no one wants to do anything when it's hot

Guest homeiswheretheheartis

Any chance of moving somewhere else? There are some stunning places and you could be in heaven if you were in one of them.... Forster NSW has cheaper houses, stunning beaches, great lakes, National Parks, a cute town centre... 3 hours north of Sydney, I'd be looking at somewhere like that maybe before turning my back on it all.

If you can, research and try somewhere else. It's a massive country and we are in Brisbane due to work. If I had the choice would I be livingin Brisbane? No way. Try and get out and explore possibilities. Tasmania is also another cracker. A bit like 'home' with old buildings, friendly people, beautiful scenery....

The possibilities are endless.

Good luck and message me if you want to chat.

Archived