Guest James.S

I am currently living in south east Melbourne. I am trying to find an rto to do my training. The energy safe site says its Kangan but I can't get any joy. I have my OTSR and 16 years experience but means nothing I still have to do the theory again. I am hoping to do the test straight away as I have my electrician qualifications and a BTEC in electrical engineering. I have managed to find work but not in the field I want. If any one knows where I can get in touch with somewhere to do the gap training that would be great.

I am currently living in south east Melbourne. I am trying to find an rto to do my training. The energy safe site says its Kangan but I can't get any joy. I have my OTSR and 16 years experience but means nothing I still have to do the theory again. I am hoping to do the test straight away as I have my electrician qualifications and a BTEC in electrical engineering. I have managed to find work but not in the field I want. If any one knows where I can get in touch with somewhere to do the gap training that would be great.

I've been having the same problem but in Queensland. If anyone has recently completed the gap training in the Queensland please could they let me know where. I too have emailed RTO's but no luck so far. THANKS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest95262

Ok so i need some clarity here, when i first read the points test for 189 it says

You have attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority in determining your skills for your nominated occupation.

right so i thought that was basically my skill assessment am i right in thinking this because i started my eoi and can't quite see what i put under qualifications it makes no sense, i have received my otsr from tra which states that i met the technical requirements of UEE30811 certificate 111 in electrotechnolagy electrician, but to get my cert i have to do gap training, so does this mean i have a recognised qualification or not?

can i claim 10 points for this? if so what exactly do i put in the qualifications section of the eoi, do i put this or my uk certs as my skills assessment says nothing of them, if i put down my skills assessment it asks for dates from and to, but it was only 1 day it won't let me put 1 day, if its my certs from home how do i get them recognised i can't even remember exactly where or when i took my course.

i will be gutted if I've read this wrong as i have managed to get 60 points by

age 30

ielts 20

then i presumed this assessment got me 10, if it doesn't i have to go with my back up to a bad ielts score which was claiming 10 points for work experience which just seems like a massive massive pain in the ass being self employed.

can someone please clarify if my tea counts or not. cheers

Hi all… please if anyone could help me with a question. I am trying to work out PSC for the secondary side of distribution for an assignment.

I am fine with working out the PSC of the transformer it is the sub circuits I am having trouble with.

I realise about using tables 30-39 in anzs3008. Does anyone know the formula used to work this out.

I have added a pic with the fault points so you know what I mean

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.TRansformer drawings2.jpg

TRansformer drawings2.jpg

Hi All!

I have been in Perth for 5 weeks, the job I had lined up has fallen through due to the Electrical Contractor not winning the contracts etc.

I am on a Skilled Independent Visa, with my Provisional Licence, EWP HRW, White Card and over 20 years experience as a sparks in UK and Africa, I have been applying for all Trade Assistant jobs etc without much luck and not many people seem to be aware of the new OTSR/Context Training/Provisional Licence we now have to go through.

I am hoping to find out if anyone out there knows of any employers/contractors/agents etc who are taking on/have taken on Provisional licenced sparks. Any advice on getting me on the ladder would be greatly appreciated, many thanks,

Jurrasic Sparks!

I am a young electrician of 23 years, i plan to transfer in au. I saw is difficult start working there because you need the license, but what about start as apprentice? Do you need any qualification? Employers would assume a person under 30 with a permament visa? And after the 3 years apprentice could you work as qualified electrician or you need anyway to do the 12 months training?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I'm about to sit the trade test, theory and practical in a couple of days, through Peer Veet. Does anybody know the questions that will be on the test, or perhaps a link to someone that has already posted it? I've been studying hard for this one, but would love the comfort of knowing exactly what to expect!

thanks

Anthony

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I'm doing my electrical contractors course at the moment and am having massive trouble with the nominees maximum demand assignment. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this course and could offer help? Or still has their old assignment laying around that I could use as a template. I'll pay for your trouble, of course. Thanks a heap guys

• 2 weeks later...

check this link

http://training.gov.au/Search/SearchOrganisation?nrtCodeTitle=80970ACT&scopeItem=AccreditedCourse&tabIndex=1&ImplicitNrtScope=True&orgSearchByScopeSubmit=Search

you have to phone vetassess in the state your in,they are not very bright to be honest but just push for info.if you are in VIC contact kangan broadmeadows,the electrical department(if you can get through)and tell them you are a OTSR canidate.Electrician - Australian Minimum Context Gap Course - (Course Code: 80970ACT)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HELP!!! Vetassess evidence :wacko:

Hi, i am a uk qualified sparky applying through vetassess and having trouble with some competences. Do I have to submit evidence for every unit of competency as I have a lack of experience in ueenee104a solve problems in DC circuits and and my elective is ueeneeg110a find and repair faults in LV DC apparatus and circuits. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Pt7

Guest Joe Lewis

Hi all,

I've been trawling though all the pages on this forum for a while now and it's been very helpful!

I have been granted the 189 skilled independent visa and been assessed by the TRA as an Electrical Engineering Technician.

The next headache will be getting the electrical licence, I see that the original route would be to apply to the TRA to get an ARTC certificate, then enrol with Peer and do a short course/exam. I have read/misread that this might not be the case anymore? Seeing that I'm coming over on a permanent visa and didn't have to go down the Vettesss route, would this mean i'm still able to just apply for ARTC and do the Peer course?

I'm looking to go NSW so this may also be a deciding factor.

Many thanks in advance!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow Sparks,

I'm currently going for a 189/190 VISA depending on my IELTS outcome and I know that I have to get my skills assessed as an Electrician to get one of these VISAs.

I know the normal route is to pay >$3000 to Vetassess to get your skills assessment but I've heard through the vines that there are other companies that can assess your skills for a much more reasonable price. Future Skills was one of them!!!

Can anyone tell me if this is legit?

Cheers

Hey Spoony,

I was wondering is future skills is a valid form of a skills assessment for 189/190 VISAs?

If so how are they and are there any more companies like that aren't rip off merchants like Vettasess?

I only ask because I have nearly 2 years post trade in the UK and nearly 3 years post trade in WA and I don't want to waste money on a course I shouldn't have to do after jumping through the hoops already for my A-Grade.

I wish I could help you with your situation but QLD have a different governing body than WAs Energy Safety and so have different criteria. Also I know they have made it harder to get an A-grade licence since JUNE 2014.

I do know if you get stuck over here without your Aussie tickets you can always work for an electrical contractor as an TA (trades assistant) on the books or under an ABN (Australian Business Number) which is basically self employed.

Good Luck

"she'll be right mate"

Hi all,

I am a brand new member and new to the forum set up.

Along with my family we are relocating to Brisbane in September this year.

I am a time served electrician with 20+ years of experience and have passed the IELTS and Future Skills electrical practical exam and now have the OTSR.

This is where it seems to get confusing as there is so much conflicting information on line.

can you advise if it is possible to apply for the restricted licence from the UK - the forms ask for CPR training, again can this be done in the UK? if not it looks like I would have to do this course on arrival then wait 28 days for the paperwork to go through.

Do I need the licence to get enrolled with a college for the gap training? again I have been in touch with the Australian Trade College who advise that any training would be dependant on recognition of prior learning (RPL) and would be determined by a trade trainer after paying a $200 deposit.

And finally can i get the licence and gap training completed prior to finding an employer.

Apologies for the rambling and appreciate that it has probably been asked and answered dozen of times, but any assistance offered would be greatly appreciated.

Hello ladies and gents can any one help in currently in the process to send an application to Vetassess to get my electrical qualifications recognised and I am really struggling to get the references from my uk previous employers . Can any one send any references they have sent so I kind of get a few samples of exactly what I'm going to need .

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you :)

• 1 month later...

Hello you helpful people... Im booked in for my ostr in Brisbane in a few weeks and need help with the theory side.

Ive forgotten half of what I leant at college '9 years ago' and left all my books and notes back in the UK 3 years ago!

Can any body help with what comes up in the test and where I can brush up on the the relevent electrical areas.

I really cant afford to fail as I live in sydney ?. Its a little stressful

thanks guys

• 3 months later...
Guest Schoey87

Hi,

I am currently sitting my electrical contractors course and just have to hand in my maximum demand assignment.

I have completed 60% of it. I have completed all max demand for sub mains and max demand for consumer mains.

I have a section which final sub circuits cable size and protection according to volt drop and current carrying capacity.

Does anyone have an example of a previous contractors assignment that covers this section that they can help me out with.

Regards

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, please could anyone help me with my VETASSESS paperwork that I need to complete before my exam this Thursday? How much detail do I need to include for each section? I am going to choose Elective 1 as I have experience in this area, but not sure how much I should write for each system, or how many systems to talk about? Does anyone have an example, or anything they could share with me to get me on the right track. Thank you in advance.

• 1 month later...
Someone posted this a few pages back and will let you know what you are in for

Everybody has to do 1 years gap training once they get provisional license here's someone else's recent update on it from the electricians thread

If anyone wants to ask me questions about getting their A class through the vettasses, i am more than happy to answer.

Hi Drewe, I'm enquiring on my OH's behalf, is the process the same state wide? we're moving to Adelaide in March, he's done his Vetassess, now just researching next steps required when there, cheers Mandi

I can't give exact process for Adelaide. I done mine in Perth. I'm sure it's similar.

Get restricted licence from from electrical board ( mine was energy safety)

Enrol at college to start change over course

Get employed

2 weeks college with practical exam and paper exam

Complete 12 assignments at home

Complete log book (roughly 6-8 months work experience, quicker if more hours worked)

Tele/coms course 4 days with practical exam and paper exam

Capstone course 4 days ( pretty much AM2 )

once all all the above is completed you can get an A class licence. I'd say with the time off work this cost me roughly $15,000

Also getting employed can be pretty hard. Some people get paid as little as $20 ph doing domestic work. If you have good experience and background it will be easier to get a better paid job $35 plus

• 1 month later...

Hi there everyone ,

Could anyone possibly help me out with the Elective part of the vetassess . I have chosen Elective 1 , but not quite sure on how to word this out . my main knowledge is only on Em.Lighting as whole . I haven't done a lot of Fire systems , so therefor feel I should leave this out as I don't want to lie about anything on the form. no point in that I feel .

It has been a very long time since I have had to write anything out like this and as I said , I'm not sure on how to word out all the points they ask for .

A ny help would be greatly appreciated :unsure: