Guest James.S

Guest charle1980

HI

We are just in the process of applying for skills assessment for my OH. We are going for Electrician (general). He thinks there may be problems with the fact that he doesn't have a JIB card anymore (has been doing a lot of data work lately and less electrical)

How strict are they at Vetassess? He is pretty confident that he'll pass the practical, but how in depth is the original employment assessment? He is an apprentice served electrician with NVQ 3 in electrical installation in 1998 and C & G 2391 in 2008. He did his AM1 and AM2 in the late 90's

Will this be enough without any recent trade registration?

Thanks

Edited by charle1980

Guest fultonclan

Hi everyone!

We fly out to Perth in June. Hubby has an OTSR which means he'll be given his provisional electrical license when he registers with EnergySafe after arrival. But my question is this: do employers even consider taking you on with a provisional or is it a no go until you get your A license??

Any help greatly appreciated and i'm sorry if this has been asked before but this thread has soooooo many pages!! lol

Thanks

Hi everyone!

We fly out to Perth in June. Hubby has an OTSR which means he'll be given his provisional electrical license when he registers with EnergySafe after arrival. But my question is this: do employers even consider taking you on with a provisional or is it a no go until you get your A license??

Any help greatly appreciated and i'm sorry if this has been asked before but this thread has soooooo many pages!! lol

Thanks

There are jobs without the A grade but it can be quite hard to get one as there an increasing number of people on gap training so that means less positions available as people are not getting upgraded to A grade quickly anymore and firms can only employ so many. I applied for loads of jobs and am on my second job in 5 months as i hated the first. I never really heard anything from jobs on seek, recruitment agencies were a waste of time and not really interested as i did not have a license,I sent CV's to tons of companies and got a few replies but no offers most just said i had an excellent CV and they will let me know when they are hiring and then never heard anything again. Both jobs i got from the job section of the West Australian paper. Oh and apply for your provisional before you leave otherwise you will wait over 4 weeks for the electrical workers permit and wont be able to book the gap training course until you get it either.

Guest fultonclan
There are jobs without the A grade but it can be quite hard to get one as there an increasing number of people on gap training so that means less positions available as people are not getting upgraded to A grade quickly anymore and firms can only employ so many. I applied for loads of jobs and am on my second job in 5 months as i hated the first. I never really heard anything from jobs on seek, recruitment agencies were a waste of time and not really interested as i did not have a license,I sent CV's to tons of companies and got a few replies but no offers most just said i had an excellent CV and they will let me know when they are hiring and then never heard anything again. Both jobs i got from the job section of the West Australian paper. Oh and apply for your provisional before you leave otherwise you will wait over 4 weeks for the electrical workers permit and wont be able to book the gap training course until you get it either.

Thanks very much for the reply, my husband is of course worried that he wont find a job when we get out there. will definately apply for his provisional so thanyou for that!

Rach

Hi Everyone,

I am a Reg JIB Electrician & Reg Gas Safe in commercial catering and laundry equipment,have spent the last 12 years working on commercial catering/laundry equipment in the UK,myself,wife and two kids are hoping to move to Sydney,anyway saw a job advertised similar to mine in Sydney offering a full 457 sponsorship,i phoned the company & was told they would be very interested in me working for them,the job was advertised as 'full gas and restricted electrical qualification' required,i queried the company about this and was told that i could start working for them in Sydney with out having to do any extra training/electrical registration etc,not sure if it is as easy as what they are making out,anyone got any advice,cheers.

Hi ya,

i'm lookig for a little information. I've been looking into getting over to oz on a skilled migrant visa, I have been working as an electricians mate/improver since 2009 and have recently become fully qualified. I have 2330 lvl 2&3 as well as my NVQ3 and 2382 17ty edition.

I couldn't find employment as an apprentice so this was done all through finding myself work as a mate and then the last 12 months as an improver on a self employed basis.

I was under the understanding that the qualifications and experience on the job were the concerns for vetassess rather than how those qualifications were funded and carried out.

I don't know if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick but from what I have seen on here it looks like I could be turned away by vetassess for not having completed a modern apprenticeship with a company??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

dan

Just thought I'd pop this up here for anyone looking.

I just got off of the phone to vetassess in brisbane, they basically said they require 2 years post qualification experience, so I'm guessing this is post Nvq3, but if you can demonstrate you have enough experience prior to gaining your NVQ 3 you shouldn't have a problem being invited to take the vetassess skills assessment and proving you know your trade.

For me I have almost 4 years on site experience but I've only just received my NVQ3 as they like to ensure nowadays that you've had near the 4 years before allowing your NVQ to be signed off. By the time I apply for my vetassess assessment it'll be another 12 months as I'm going to delay it to ensure that there are no problems.

They're going to e-mail me the document with all their requirements on If anyone would like them PM me your email and I'll happily forward them on.

I am pretty sure vetassess require a full apprenticeship. Have you tried doing a points test as well as you need a minimum of 5 years post trade to claim points for migration.

Ive completed a points test and its 3 years experience in the trade or one closely linked and the mara agent I spoke to said it was fine and it would be down to vetassess and their skills test as to whether I would be invited to the assessment. 3 years only gets me 5 points so I have to do the IELTS test and get 8's and above in all units which will push me up to 65 points. By the time I apply I'll have over 5 years including my training. Also I'm planning on providing my NVQ folder as evidence for vetasess also.

Last night when I spoke to the vetasess office in qld they looked through the requirements and it says 2 years post qualification Is recommended not mandatory and as long as you could prove that you had adequate experience in the field and could prove your compitence there shouldn't be much of a problem.

There was nothing mentioned or carrying out an apprenticeship, I don't see why this would make a difference anyway, I have exactly the same quals as an apprentice and carried it out over the same amount of time and was in the same classes as apprentices the only difference was I paid for my education and I had to find work through other means rather than being on the books.

what I got from the vetassess agent was that the wording in their official documents stated a formal qualification and had nothing to do with who funded it.

She's sent me the info in an email I'm just about to have a read through it all.

Edit:

just had a look through the info she sent me and this is all if says about the quals looked for

VETASSESS will look for:

 evidence of accredited formal training, quality informal training or apprenticeship/traineeship as a skilled worker or tradesperson evidence of employment that shows current work experience, progression in your skills and that you have worked as a skilled worker or tradesperson; your evidence must be able to be verified

 evidence of trade licence/s, registration or industry membership.

Edited by Skyba

Is it really that hard to find work in Aus (WA)

I just read doom and gloom stories from English sparks going over.

I'd be happy to be a TA while i completed the relevant paperwork.

Im a 24yr old spark with full-time employment here, but im so bored of England.

Fancy a little travelling then a whv and in that time look to get my a grade licence.

Puts me off going all the negativity:mask:

Is it really that hard to find work in Aus (WA)

I just read doom and gloom stories from English sparks going over.

I'd be happy to be a TA while i completed the relevant paperwork.

Im a 24yr old spark with full-time employment here, but im so bored of England.

Fancy a little travelling then a whv and in that time look to get my a grade licence.

Puts me off going all the negativity:mask:

Hiya, it is quite hard getting a permanent job until you get your licence. But personally it hasnt been that bad for us. My OH got a job as a TA installing Air conditioning without his licence and then building Switchboards in a workshop, so its not all doom and gloom. People only seem to put bad experiences on here.

It can't be any worse than the UK, there are no permanent jobs here at all. I've noticed the same as you, not many positive responses to questions. I wouldn't let it put me off though, I'd rather be a postman in oz than a spark in the UK, this country is done for and the electrician game is dead. I'm seeing jobs offered at as low as £7 p/hr, and they'll get 6WW sparks go for it.

Here's a site I've been on and they've been fairly helpful, i asked a similar question on there and the response was that they'd never met a pommie spark who's regretted the move.

http://Www.phased.com.au

Traveling around on a WHV working in temp jobs is not the same as emigrating to the other side of the world with a family to support. I don't regret moving either but i do give honest answers. Your dollars don't go far here and jobs are not as plentiful as you would believe nor is the pay rate when you start paying living costs. And believe me after spending a huge sum of money to get here then been made to be an apprentice for a year again in your thirties is a sore one to take.

Guest fultonclan
It can't be any worse than the UK, there are no permanent jobs here at all. I've noticed the same as you, not many positive responses to questions. I wouldn't let it put me off though, I'd rather be a postman in oz than a spark in the UK, this country is done for and the electrician game is dead. I'm seeing jobs offered at as low as £7 p/hr, and they'll get 6WW sparks go for it.

Here's a site I've been on and they've been fairly helpful, i asked a similar question on there and the response was that they'd never met a pommie spark who's regretted the move.

Www.phased.com.au

Just looked at that site, thanks, going to register :wink:

Guest fultonclan
Traveling around on a WHV working in temp jobs is not the same as emigrating to the other side of the world with a family to support. I don't regret moving either but i do give honest answers. Your dollars don't go far here and jobs are not as plentiful as you would believe nor is the pay rate when you start paying living costs. And believe me after spending a huge sum of money to get here then been made to be an apprentice for a year again in your thirties is a sore one to take.

Yep agree, they seem to be crying out for electricians but its ages before you can have an A grade license! No wonder!

This is why I'm doing it now, me and mrs have no kids, I'm 28 and can get a skilled visa and our timescale is allowing us to save plenty of cash left over to live on if we have difficulties with work.

I'd much rather go now and spend the year on less money and build a life than do it in my 30's, I don't think i could do it when I was much older as I'd be far too used to the extra money.

The job situation in the uk at the moment is a joke.

Ive been through bigger challenges in life than migrating and I'm still here, if I didn't do it I'd always regret it, if I did it and failed at least I tried.

we only have 1 life live it I say!!!

one thing I have noticed on many migration sites is the abundance of 6WW courses being offered!! But wrong really!! I'm guessing a 6WW wouldn't get a visa for a very long time.

Edited by Skyba

Sorry folks, what's a 6WW? :embarrassed:

6 week wonder!!

Someone who has done one of these "call now and in 6 weeks you could be a qualified electrician earning £40k a year" when in realit you get a certificate for a 2330 and that's it.

It takes 4 years training plus a year of being a spark to be able to call yourself a spark IMO and its wrong for these companies to tell people they'll be qualified because they won't be and they'll fall foul of their lack of knowledge when they get on a site.

It's being stopped now by city and guilds and the part p regs are stopping people from registering without an nvq3 unless they take a 259 hr course, but IMO the damage is already done, the price on domestic work has fallen drastically because someone who isn't qualified will always undercut you, and the wages on commercial aren't any better because the agencies and big companies know they have you by tha short n curly's

Received some replies today from sparks in Aus and it seems soooo difficult to be a spark out in oz.

Im 24 and completed an apprenticeship but they are asking for so much.

I received a reply from energy safety and basically its the dreaded logbook scenario. How am i meant to complete the logbook if i cant even get constant TA work.

Must be different in England to Scotland as no electrical contractor would employ someone who done a six week course. In Scotland no apprenticeship means no spark simple as that.

Its the niceic you can register as a Dom installer and work self employed and most of the comm/ind work now is through agencies so they don't care as long as they have people on the job.

Also I don't understand your idea of the word apprenticeship, you don't have to do a modern apprenticeship to become a fully qualified spark, an apprenticeship is just how it's funded.

I didn't do an apprenticeship but I worked for the same amount of time did the same course as the apprentices only difference is I was 22 and paid for it myself and wasn't employed by the same company all the way through.

I get my gold jib card the same as anyone who worked for a company and tbh most "apprentices" are tosh anyway as they doss around all day and learn nothing. I subbed for one company and they had a young lad who was fully qualified who only ever marked up socket heights from c sheets. He was clueless when it came to electrical theory or testing

Edited by Skyba

I am not saying you didn't do an apprenticeship, It does not matter how you do it as long as you complete the required coursework, site experience and trade test then you have done an apprenticeship! Does the NICEIC really allow people to become members after a six week course? The company i owned was in SELECT which is the Scotish ECA and they run our building certification system which is similar to part P and the technical person from the member company must be an approved electrician who has completed a full apprenticeship. I would have thought the NICEIC would be the same as their standards would be out the window pretty quick if they let anybody in making their membership pretty much useless. I know the bigger sites will fill extra labour from agencies as its easier than hiring and paying the associated costs of holidays and NI contributions but they will have a core squad of decent sparks who have worked with them for a while. The reason i find it hard in OZ is that i would walk into a contracts manager/supervisors job in the UK but here i am a bloody apprentice again! I have on a more positive note found a better job now with a company that has recognized my previous experience

I am not saying you didn't do an apprenticeship, It does not matter how you do it as long as you complete the required coursework, site experience and trade test then you have done an apprenticeship! Does the NICEIC really allow people to become members after a six week course? The company i owned was in SELECT which is the Scotish ECA and they run our building certification system which is similar to part P and the technical person from the member company must be an approved electrician who has completed a full apprenticeship. I would have thought the NICEIC would be the same as their standards would be out the window pretty quick if they let anybody in making their membership pretty much useless. I know the bigger sites will fill extra labour from agencies as its easier than hiring and paying the associated costs of holidays and NI contributions but they will have a core squad of decent sparks who have worked with them for a while. The reason i find it hard in OZ is that i would walk into a contracts manager/supervisors job in the UK but here i am a bloody apprentice again! I have on a more positive note found a better job now with a company that has recognized my previous experience

I didn't think you were saying I hadn't done an apprenticeship was just curious as to what people would class as one as the apprenticeship scheme is a very hazy one these days as not many people can get them.

As for the niceic, you can register with just a 3 day 2382 17th edition cert as a domestic installer as long as you can prove on assessment that you can test and fill out a schedule of inspection.

Obviously to be an approved contractor you have to be a gold card spark but any cowboy with a tester a 17th edition cert and £500 to pay the part p schemes can register to do house bashing.

As for me I'm not really fussed about returning to an apprentice for 12 months. I went from being a project manager for a directional drilling firm in Qatar to being a first year apprentice back in 2009, only difference was I was forced out of my old job due to health and this will be my choice.